Author Topic: NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 61958 times)

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
Re: NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #450 on: 27 May 2017, 00:44:40 »
Yep here we are...Pens vs. Preds.

Kinda-sorta behind Nashville on this one, just because of P.K.  Already said what I hope he does with the Cup...after bringing it to the Montreal Children's Hospital, of course.

What a way for the Sens to go out.  That really should've been the Cup final.  Imagine winning the Cup, in Game 7, double OT...it would've been one for the ages.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #451 on: 27 May 2017, 02:57:46 »
Preds in six, only because they are healthier and Rinne is better than either Fleury or Murray during the playoffs.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #452 on: 27 May 2017, 09:53:46 »
Pens in 6, because Smashville's got no depth in their forwards and blueliners can't score all the livelong day. Pittsburgh's got a rolling roster of forwards who step in when needed, despite the injury train to the defensive corps.

It's probably going to take a game or two to adjust to Nashville's tactics, though - just like it did after sneaking by Washington and running into Ottawa's 1-4 trap.

I was thinking before that losing in the ECF was better than losing the Cup finals, but now that I think about it - if the Pens do lose to the Preds (a possibility I can entertain), at least the defeat would come with the knowledge that Nashville earned the Cup against the former champs. That's a losing thought I can live with.

But yeah, still hoping for the back-to-back.

Also, the Pens' cap situation isn't as bad as one would think - they're set up pretty solid to keep doing playoff runs for several years. I was certainly not a fan of GMJR's ascension in the beginning but now.... Yeah, I bow to ownership's vision. :)
Eh.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #453 on: 27 May 2017, 14:19:07 »
I wonder where more F-bombs were dropped when Kunitz scored: Ottawa or Nashville? 
I have spoken.

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #454 on: 29 May 2017, 22:35:24 »
Did that really just happen?!   :o
I have spoken.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #455 on: 30 May 2017, 10:28:14 »
Did that really just happen?!   :o

If you mean the Pens winning with just 12 shots on goal and going over a period without registering a shot, then yes, it did.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #456 on: 01 June 2017, 05:57:52 »
Well well...sure looks like the shine is off Pekka Rinne.  Unless he recovers his form--and fast--the Pens will be hoisting the Cup by the middle of next week.

Cheers, Gabe

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #457 on: 03 June 2017, 23:12:49 »
That... was an ass-paddlin'.

When the Pens scored first, I thought it was over- the game and the series. I thought that would take the air out of the building, deflate the Preds, and we'd see the Penguins cruise. Or at the least the Predators would get one late and we'd have a narrow-score grudge match. But that crowd was as wild as ever, the team matched their energy, Rinne was on fire, and Murray helped by playing a pretty pedestrian game on the other end.

We have a series now. I'll miss Game 4 while traveling, but I'll be interested to see afterwards if they can match the intensity they showed tonight.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #458 on: 04 June 2017, 03:44:13 »
That... was an ass-paddlin'.

When the Pens scored first, I thought it was over- the game and the series. I thought that would take the air out of the building, deflate the Preds, and we'd see the Penguins cruise. Or at the least the Predators would get one late and we'd have a narrow-score grudge match. But that crowd was as wild as ever, the team matched their energy, Rinne was on fire, and Murray helped by playing a pretty pedestrian game on the other end.

Nice to see the Preds were as good as P.K.'s word  ;D

cheers,

Gabe

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #459 on: 05 June 2017, 22:30:25 »
I think Pittsburgh may have just lost this series.
I have spoken.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #460 on: 05 June 2017, 22:36:58 »
I won't believe that possible until if and when the road team finally wins a game in this series.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #461 on: 08 June 2017, 23:49:50 »
I won't believe that possible until if and when the road team finally wins a game in this series.

The Pens certainly seemed to agree with you tonight.

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #462 on: 11 June 2017, 22:31:14 »
And finally, it is over.

The road team finally wins one in this series, when it counted the most, in a game where both teams spent most of the time trying not to make a mistake.  The Pens not only defended their championship, but extended their streak of winning the Cup in years when they've defeated the Caps to get there, and P.K. will have to wait at least one more year for his revenge on Marc Bergevin.

cheers,

Gabe

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #463 on: 11 June 2017, 23:03:32 »
I think Pittsburgh may have just lost this series.

That's why I'm not a betting man.   ;)

It's officially a series!

Congratulations Pittsburgh! 

To come back from pissing away a two game lead, and playing the entire playoffs without Letang, and being the first repeat champion of the salary cap era, and being 5-0 in Stanely Cup clinching games on the road,  isn't it ironic that Crosby wins the Conn Smythe Trophy in the 87th game of the playoffs?
I have spoken.

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #464 on: 11 June 2017, 23:19:02 »
1991: Pittsburgh eliminates Washington. Pittsburgh wins the Cup.
1992: Pittsburgh eliminates Washington. Pittsburgh wins the Cup.
2008: Pittsburgh advances to the final without going through Washington. Pittsburgh does not win the Cup.
2009: Pittsburgh eliminates Washington. Pittsburgh wins the Cup.
2016: Pittsburgh eliminates Washington. Pittsburgh wins the Cup.

Pittsburgh eliminates Washington. Pittsburgh wins the Cup.

Now that's just freaky!

Pittsburgh doesn't win the Cup every time they eliminate Washington, but they've never won it without eliminating them.   ???
I have spoken.

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #465 on: 23 June 2017, 12:04:02 »
It's going to be a long summer...

I was out at my favorite watering hole last night and a particularly bad baseball game was being shown (is there even such a thing as a good baseball game?). Without even thinking I asked the bartender if she could find an NHL game.   [face palm]

Bless her heart, she actually grabbed the remote and started looking.  {>{>
I have spoken.