Author Topic: Ham Radio?  (Read 3885 times)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Ham Radio?
« on: 22 September 2016, 18:45:44 »
Probably proving once again that I'm an old fart, I took my exam for the Technician class amateur radio license on 9/10, and just got my call sign uploaded to the FCC site today. So, as of now, I'm KM6FHQ.

So far, my rig is limited to a dinky WLN KD-C1 70cm handheld I have programmed to some of the local repeaters (including for the WIN and PAPA systems), and the three most common simplex frequencies for SoCal (446.0, 446.5 and 446.52 MHz).

so, any other hams on the board?  If so, what are you doing in amateur radio?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Re: Ham Radio?
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2016, 19:08:51 »
I'm an electrical engineer and should take the test. Never have though. Almost did so for some unmanned aircraft experimental flights so we could broadcast FPV video on a 5.6Ghz transmitter.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2016, 20:01:33 »
I'm no longer active, but I was a Technician class back in the 90's.  KE4CRX

I've been thinking about getting back into it again but I sold all of my equipment, so I'd be building a rig from scratch again.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2016, 22:58:40 »
Congratulations.   O0 8) I got my ticket 5 years ago, still a technian, had a thread or two here a while back, thread went inactive.  W5CJM currently(formerly KF5MFT, I don't mind sharing it, even though somebody might look up the info. :p )  I'm a bit ashamed to admit that my electronics knowledge has gone down the tubes, but I am trying to sit down and relearn it, and trying to learn to make antennas(I was successful in making a 220 one, just have to put it up).  And I've only recently gotten on 10 meters on a somewhat irregular basis.  Just need to get on 6M. Welcome to the hobby. :)

EDIT:  Oh, and I do have a couple of TNC's.  I've been slacking off lately, but I will do packet from time to time.  I still need to improve my skills on that(have to find some way to coordinate a direct connection, otherwise I'm hitting packet stations), but I manage. :)
« Last Edit: 22 September 2016, 23:00:26 by ClarkeMarek »
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2016, 01:04:29 »
Yeah, packet has always looked interesting as heck, and the most common implementation I've seen these days has been APRS...which I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it's for.  If I figure it out, I may go and get one of these:

http://www.mobilinkd.com/

Not finding the other TNC I saw that was aiming at use with a smartphone but not specifically aimed at APRS, but I've seen one recently.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #5 on: 23 September 2016, 01:30:15 »
Yeah, I haven't messed with APRS, which is a pity, because I really want to get into it.  And I haven't dealt with packet in a month outside of our ARCHES drill, so wonder of wonders, I power up the PK 88, the data switch dies, I hook it up to the computer(thank heavens I still have a serial port on my computer :p ), and I have issues.  Luckily the KPC 3 works.  I'm going to have to wait until this weekend before I start messing with it, see what Mr. Murphy did to it and where he decided to leave his disgusting mark. :P
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 24 September 2016, 08:01:10 »
Okay, so other then using HAM radio as some half baked plot to some movie that I'm sure most of us have no seen, what do you do on HAM radio?

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 24 September 2016, 10:42:54 »
Okay, so other then using HAM radio as some half baked plot to some movie that I'm sure most of us have no seen, what do you do on HAM radio?

Try to talk to the international space station. Seriously. Making contact with Hams floating up there is a nice feather in your cap. I don't know how common it is recently for astronauts to do that but it has been a fun hobby.

Also for that transmission thing I mentioned, you need a citizens license for it to be legal. We were doing an experimental drone flight with NASA and that was one of the regulatory hurdles.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #8 on: 24 September 2016, 11:20:44 »
I'll throw in slow scan TV and amateur TV(which sadly may or may not be dying off due to this weird thing called the Internet. :p ), emergency communications(yes, it's a thing, though how much of one depends), packet(email pretty much, though not through the Internet, though you can send a packet message through the Internet via a gateway station), and DXing.  That last part can be pretty fun, depending on the band and the conditions.  Sadly, I think I mentioned it before, 10Meters is dead, but it gets pretty lively as you get lower into HF.  VHF can get interesting, too, if the conditions are just right.

EDIT:  Oh, how could I forget, some of the hams use some of the ham spectrum for RC aircraft.  Yes, I know, there are non ham RC car/aircraft/drones/et al out there, but some hams will use some parts of the spectrum to keep from overcrowding the regular RC bands.
« Last Edit: 24 September 2016, 11:26:51 by ClarkeMarek »
Five rounds, rapid!

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #9 on: 24 September 2016, 11:24:04 »
Try to talk to the international space station. Seriously. Making contact with Hams floating up there is a nice feather in your cap. I don't know how common it is recently for astronauts to do that but it has been a fun hobby.

It's frequent enough, from what I understand, at least down here in the Austin area.
Five rounds, rapid!

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 24 September 2016, 11:28:24 »
It's frequent enough, from what I understand, at least down here in the Austin area.

Good they're keeping it up.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #11 on: 24 September 2016, 12:16:18 »
One of the guys in my group goes after it and AMSAT's(amateur satellites) as well.  I'm ashamed to admit, that's one thing I've really been lagging behind.

Well, that and that MESH network one of the other guys has been working on.  I still need to get an antenna for mine, though I've fallen far enough behind to where I probably need to scrape up enough to get one of the 3ghz( ??? I think) routers for it to replace my 2.4's. :p

EDIT:  I was off, it's a 3.5ghz.  It's an off frequency, one only hams have access to.
Five rounds, rapid!

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #12 on: 24 September 2016, 12:24:46 »
I still have my ticket but I only have 2m gear. I got my license for cave rescue reasons.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #13 on: 24 September 2016, 12:52:37 »
If it makes you feel any better, other than my 10 meter rig, that's about all I have.  Well, and a couple of dual banders and a 220, but you get the idea.  I still need to upgrade at some point.
Five rounds, rapid!

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 24 September 2016, 21:06:14 »
Yeah, packet has always looked interesting as heck, and the most common implementation I've seen these days has been APRS...which I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it's for.  If I figure it out, I may go and get one of these:

http://www.mobilinkd.com/

Not finding the other TNC I saw that was aiming at use with a smartphone but not specifically aimed at APRS, but I've seen one recently.

I've got one of the Mobilinkd TNCs.  It's pretty nice.  My dad and I used the APRS system to let family know where we were when we were sailing on Lake Erie a couple of months ago.  I gave them my call and they could look up our location on aprs.fi.  I did "cheat" a bit, because I was using the cell system to beacon over the internet instead of a ham radio, though.  I know there's a lot of groups that use APRS for tracking balloons that they launch.

Congrats on the license, and 73!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #15 on: 25 September 2016, 07:18:59 »
One of the guys in my group goes after it and AMSAT's(amateur satellites) as well.  I'm ashamed to admit, that's one thing I've really been lagging behind.

Well, that and that MESH network one of the other guys has been working on.  I still need to get an antenna for mine, though I've fallen far enough behind to where I probably need to scrape up enough to get one of the 3ghz( ??? I think) routers for it to replace my 2.4's. :p

EDIT:  I was off, it's a 3.5ghz.  It's an off frequency, one only hams have access to.
3.5 GHz, or MHz?  3.5 GHz is a swath of spectrum under serious discussion at the moment.  Industry wants to use it for 4G/LTE and DOD wants to keep it for what they're using it for right now.  It doesn't help that some of the companies in the industry consortium are state owned enterprises of other countries.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #16 on: 25 September 2016, 17:13:43 »
3.5 GHz, or MHz?  3.5 GHz is a swath of spectrum under serious discussion at the moment.  Industry wants to use it for 4G/LTE and DOD wants to keep it for what they're using it for right now.  It doesn't help that some of the companies in the industry consortium are state owned enterprises of other countries.

3.5GHz.  The ham portion of it is specifically from 3.3 to 3.5.  Probably a little bit to the left of the DoD portion of it. 

EDIT:  For reference.  The 3.3-3.5GHz reference is in text in the blue box.
Five rounds, rapid!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #17 on: 25 September 2016, 17:24:53 »
Interesting... there's other stuff to the left of 3.5GHz I can't imagine allowing interference.  I'll have to ask tomorrow at work.  Thanks!

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #18 on: 25 September 2016, 19:29:11 »
Interesting... there's other stuff to the left of 3.5GHz I can't imagine allowing interference.  I'll have to ask tomorrow at work.  Thanks!

yw! :)
Five rounds, rapid!

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #19 on: 22 June 2017, 09:13:05 »
I know, thread necromancy, but meh.  It's been quiet.  So, any hams ready for Field Day? :)
Five rounds, rapid!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 23 June 2017, 20:37:59 »
For certain values of ready. I'm still on a Technician license with a couple HTs, and haven't really gotten into what HF I'm licensed for or digital modes.  I'm interested in seeing how APRS or Winlink works out, especially since my local ARES chapter does a lot of Winlink and there's VHF frequencies available.

I'm supposed to head out to the San Diego Six Shooter site this weekend and see what they have going on for part of the day Saturday and Sunday, but this trip out I suspect I'll mainly be JAFO.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #21 on: 24 June 2017, 00:53:50 »
For certain values of ready. I'm still on a Technician license with a couple HTs, and haven't really gotten into what HF I'm licensed for or digital modes.  I'm interested in seeing how APRS or Winlink works out, especially since my local ARES chapter does a lot of Winlink and there's VHF frequencies available.

I'm still fooling around with Winlink.  My main problem:  Still haven't fooled around with scripts, or used the p2p mode.  As far as digital modes:  They should be the same on HF as mine.  10 meters, 28.000-28.300, only ssb mode.  And I still need to mess around with APRS.

I'm supposed to head out to the San Diego Six Shooter site this weekend and see what they have going on for part of the day Saturday and Sunday, but this trip out I suspect I'll mainly be JAFO.

Gotchya.
Five rounds, rapid!

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #22 on: 24 June 2017, 20:15:56 »
...and I wound up going to a FD held at one of the local parks, after having an anxiety attack heading to one in Milam County. : #P

(Wasn't going to risk it with my club, plus given how often we pass through Rockdale when we go to Shreveport, I'd have thunk it was a walk in the park.  :-[ )
Five rounds, rapid!