Author Topic: Star Wars Thread IV - A New Hype  (Read 168276 times)

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
Re: Star Wars Thread IV - A New Hype
« Reply #930 on: 14 December 2017, 14:09:56 »
Had a few friends see it and while I plan to still see it tomorrow, I did get some spoilers none the less

However, my thoughts on it are two-fold: Fanfiction in one part and it's all Luke's fault
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #931 on: 14 December 2017, 14:41:31 »
I agree about TFA.  So terrible that I have no interest in Ep8 beyond eyecandy value.  And Ep 9, when Kylo betrays Snoke to save Rey, I'm sure it will have great eyecandy also.

But, I'd forgive it all if they replaced BB-8 with a Claptrap.

Meow Liao

I have some interest beyond the eyecandy... just because of my curiosity about to where theyre going with this. All the bullshit about Snoke not being a Sith but its an evil being and all that crap...

I grew up in the old trilogy (was 6 years old in 1977) and all Star Wars movies have something here and there that one can complain but TFA blew up the scale of ridiculousness storywise...

Mind that my problem isnt Jar Jar in Phantom Menace or the "The Sound of Music" scene in Attack of the Clones or TFA being a copycat of New Hope to give a couple examples but my problem is the flow of TFA and Disney strategy to make you read novels/comics/whatever so you can understand whats going on (C-3PO with a red arm is the simplest best example). Try to show TFA to someone who doesnt know much about Star Wars beyond the movies and it will ask tons of questions that youre going to reply "beats me!".
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #932 on: 14 December 2017, 14:46:30 »
I have some interest beyond the eyecandy... just because of my curiosity about to where theyre going with this. All the bullshit about Snoke not being a Sith but its an evil being and all that crap...

I grew up in the old trilogy (was 6 years old in 1977) and all Star Wars movies have something here and there that one can complain but TFA blew up the scale of ridiculousness storywise...

Mind that my problem isnt Jar Jar in Phantom Menace or the "The Sound of Music" scene in Attack of the Clones or TFA being a copycat of New Hope to give a couple examples but my problem is the flow of TFA and Disney strategy to make you read novels/comics/whatever so you can understand whats going on (C-3PO with a red arm is the simplest best example). Try to show TFA to someone who doesnt know much about Star Wars beyond the movies and it will ask tons of questions that youre going to reply "beats me!".

Just wait till they start leaving key scenes out of movies but release them online for a fee...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #933 on: 14 December 2017, 14:58:53 »
Is the spoiler tag still not working? Guess not.

Oh well.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #934 on: 14 December 2017, 15:11:29 »

Always been that way with the first movies too.
I just accept that it has been 20+ years and things have changed and plenty has happened in the meantime without me needing a play by play explaination for everything.

There has been no explaination as to where R2D2s jetpack went from "Super R2D2 Bros" in Ep 3 and to Episode 4 for example.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #935 on: 14 December 2017, 15:11:58 »
Is the spoiler tag still not working? Guess not.

Oh well.
Start a seperate thread for spoilers :)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #936 on: 14 December 2017, 15:24:58 »
Always been that way with the first movies too.
I just accept that it has been 20+ years and things have changed and plenty has happened in the meantime without me needing a play by play explaination for everything.

There has been no explaination as to where R2D2s jetpack went from "Super R2D2 Bros" in Ep 3 and to Episode 4 for example.

Simple answer: the reaction mass needed to fuel his jump jets became Lostech after the Clone Wars ended.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #937 on: 14 December 2017, 16:40:56 »
clearly he had them during ANH, but didn't need them in the film. then he probably lost them after being nearly destroyed in the trench run battle, and then being rebuilt by the Rebellion techs.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #938 on: 14 December 2017, 16:51:06 »
I just hope that they don't kill Luke in this movie. :(

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #939 on: 14 December 2017, 20:15:41 »
There has been no explanation as to where R2D2s jetpack went from "Super R2D2 Bros" in Ep 3 and to Episode 4 for example.

Thats not the same thing Im saying. Even George Lucas addressed that in an interview saying that R2 never had a proper situation where he needed to use it (either if you believe it or not - the advancement in special effects and so on - and for me thats forgiven).

What Im saying is that several things onscreen arent supported by the story contained in the same movie (in this case TFA). You have to read a comic to know how/why C-3PO got a red arm. You have to read a couple of books to know the state of the galaxy. You have to read another book to know that Jakku was the most important battleground in the Galactic Civil war since Endor. And another to know the 3720 to 1 odds of bumping into Han Solo piloting his stolen ship (or so he claims) when escaping First Order...

In the OT you had a "self-contained" story. In the PT you had good intros to the story and would read books only if you wanted to know more about the characters/stories. Now you are forced to look for those things if you want to know properly the main story.
« Last Edit: 14 December 2017, 20:38:01 by Kentares »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #940 on: 14 December 2017, 20:34:24 »
What Im saying is that several things onscreen arent supported by the story contained in the same movie (in this case TFA). You have to read a comic to know how/why C-3PO got a red arm. You have to read a couple of books to know the state of the galaxy. You have to read another book to know that Jakku was the most important battleground in the Galactic Civil war since Endor.

Speaking as someone who never read any of the books that had that information, not knowing any of that had precisely zero effect on my enjoyment of the movie.

In the OT you had a "self-contained" story. In the PT you had good intros to the story and would read books only if you wanted to know more about the characters/stories. Now you are forced to look for those things if you want to know properly the main story.

In ANH, there was a lot of things that we didn't get told: like anything about Jabba the Hutt (in the original novel, he was just a fat human), or the Clone Wars, or Obi-Wan's history.  We never got told what had been going on in the interim between ANH and ESB: there was no information given as to why the Rebels were holed up on Hoth, or anything about the bounty hunter that had Han ready to run.  Did that affect our ability to enjoy the movie?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #941 on: 14 December 2017, 20:48:31 »
Speaking as someone who never read any of the books that had that information, not knowing any of that had precisely zero effect on my enjoyment of the movie.

Im more demanding than you.

In ANH, there was a lot of things that we didn't get told: like anything about Jabba the Hutt (in the original novel, he was just a fat human), or the Clone Wars, or Obi-Wan's history.  We never got told what had been going on in the interim between ANH and ESB: there was no information given as to why the Rebels were holed up on Hoth, or anything about the bounty hunter that had Han ready to run.  Did that affect our ability to enjoy the movie?

Jabba in ANH = so youre talking about the special edition which came out after ROTJ? He was cut from the original ANH.

Clone Wars and Obi-Wan = He explains enough (although laying) to not be important for the matter at hand (to Luke and by extension to us so the hero knows as much as we do).

Interim between ANH and ESB = Rebels run away from Yavin and setup shop in Hoth (the text in ESB explains that very nicely).

The bounty on Han = Han explains to Leia why he needs to go at the start of ESB. What you should question about that is why he didnt pay hes debt anyway (even through someone else) after all that time...
« Last Edit: 14 December 2017, 21:03:38 by Kentares »

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #942 on: 14 December 2017, 20:53:41 »
Jabba is mentioned by name by Greedo.  We know precisely ****** all about him except that he's mad at Han and wants him dead.  It is the driving point of Han's motivation to get the hell off Tattooine in the first place.

What MoneyLovinOgre4Hire is getting at here is that none of the information he mentioned is actually necessary to understand the plot of A New Hope.  Just like 3PO having a red arm, the geopolitical significance of Jakku, or the state of the galactic government at large is all information completely unnecessary to understanding The Force Awakens.

We can bloviate over what was or was not explained or explored in great enough detail for days on end.  The ultimate point is that not everything needs to be explained in order to form a cogent vehicle for the plot.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #943 on: 14 December 2017, 21:24:03 »
Hollywood plots in general these days have been less than cogent.

Which is what draws me back to Marvel movies again and again. Say what you will about them - and yes I do have lots to say about them - they are consistently committed to delivering a story right.

ANH had novelty factor. ESB had style - oodles of it - but an otherwise thin plot. ROTJ wrapped things up with lots of bang. They really function as a 3-part whole. So I suspect it might take a re-watching of TFA and so on to make a proper call.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #944 on: 14 December 2017, 22:06:41 »
Im more demanding than you.

Jabba in ANH = so youre talking about the special edition which came out after ROTJ? He was cut from the original ANH.

He was cut, but the original novelization included the scene, where he was a fat human (the Hutt species not yet having been created) who was a crime lord that Han owed money to.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #945 on: 14 December 2017, 23:17:58 »
Just got back.  That movie was awesome.  Maybe one of the best movies in the series.  And I dont see too many parallels to Empire.  Totally worth it.

Now waiting to see how the die hard fans willmhate it for not being like/being too similar to the Originals

He was cut, but the original novelization included the scene, where he was a fat human (the Hutt species not yet having been created) who was a crime lord that Han owed money to.

Actually he was always to be an alien.  The fat guy was there to provide a mark for the actors to play against.  But then the budget ran out and they couldnt do the effect.  That is why the scene was cut.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #946 on: 14 December 2017, 23:35:38 »

The scene was filmed too, it's on the Behind the Magic CD. It's also in the documentary that was made prior to Ep I release.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #947 on: 15 December 2017, 00:15:05 »
they reinserted it into the special editions, using a CGI slug Jabba over the actor. it kinda worked.. the CGI didn't quite match the practical effects look from ROTJ, but it was far from the most egregious issue with those versions.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #948 on: 15 December 2017, 04:09:01 »
The scene was filmed too, it's on the Behind the Magic CD. It's also in the documentary that was made prior to Ep I release.
This is it

https://youtu.be/cw1gkNd6Z_8

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #949 on: 15 December 2017, 12:36:34 »
Haven't seen it yet (going to wait a couple weeks: hate crowded theaters), but the best thing I've seen about it, was Will Wheaton wearing a TOS uniform to the movie...  ;D ;D

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #950 on: 15 December 2017, 14:03:59 »
This is the shirt I'm wearing to see it:

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #951 on: 15 December 2017, 20:43:36 »
Saw TLJ last night.  It's a Star Wars movie and I'm a fanboi so I loved it.

Now almost 24 hours later, I still am fond on it but I've come to see it's given me a new perspective on TFA.  TLJ still has LOTS of parallels to Empire, but it's not the memberberry service to the degree TFA was.  And now it makes sense why TFA was full-on memberberries... it was setting up TLJ to do some necessary but painful demolishing of the franchise so that remodeling can be done in a new direction.

Not everyone's gonna like that, but for all the memberberries in episodes VII and VIII, the final act of the third trilogy is gonna be something distinct from the original.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #952 on: 15 December 2017, 21:04:14 »
Saw TLJ last night.  It's a Star Wars movie and I'm a fanboi so I loved it.

Now almost 24 hours later, I still am fond on it but I've come to see it's given me a new perspective on TFA.  TLJ still has LOTS of parallels to Empire, but it's not the memberberry service to the degree TFA was.  And now it makes sense why TFA was full-on memberberries... it was setting up TLJ to do some necessary but painful demolishing of the franchise so that remodeling can be done in a new direction.

Not everyone's gonna like that, but for all the memberberries in episodes VII and VIII, the final act of the third trilogy is gonna be something distinct from the original.

just got back from seeing it.

this. so much, this.

and yet, even the new stuff? feels like it fits. because it builds on themes and elements that have been in the lore, be it EU or new canon, and uses these themes and elements in new and interesting ways.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2017, 21:05:51 by glitterboy2098 »

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #953 on: 15 December 2017, 22:02:32 »
Something about the TLJ final scene *JUST* struck me............. ghetto spoilered in tiny text for those wishing to remain unspoiled.

It's literally a supportive shout out to the Star Wars Kid.

Edit:  Actually, it'd be sweet if a mod could be helpful and move this post to the more appropriate spoileriffic thread.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2017, 22:07:30 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #954 on: 15 December 2017, 23:56:46 »
I can't help but wonder if the next Title will be 'To a New Beginning', keeping with the stringing of the titles motif.

The Force Awakens - The Last Jedi - To a New Beginning.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #955 on: 16 December 2017, 00:09:33 »
I can't help but wonder if the next Title will be 'To a New Beginning', keeping with the stringing of the titles motif.

The Force Awakens - The Last Jedi - To a New Beginning.

Personally I agree with a post I saw somewhere on the net about the movie titles

The Force Awakens - The Last Jedi - From His Nap  :)) :))

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #956 on: 19 December 2017, 08:45:28 »
got out of ep8 a few hours ago, I was less than pleased with ep7, it wasn't a bad movie, but it could have bean so much more. ep8 was that more I wanted.

I may have to buy ep7 on disk, but not before ep8 is out on disk.

if I was to get in to it more it would get spoilerish

except to say that the Porgs are the annoying little pieces of <Censored> you think they are, just not Ja-Ja bad.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #957 on: 19 December 2017, 15:09:52 »
Not even ewok bad. But very much 'your mileage will vary'

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #958 on: 23 December 2017, 20:45:51 »
For those of you without a fireplace, have an (in)appropriate Yule Log video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVJzibVS2YM
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #959 on: 23 December 2017, 21:54:54 »
For those interested in Star Wars and architecture an interesting (for me at least) piece:

http://edition.cnn.com/style/article/star-wars-architecture-one-square-meter/index.html