Author Topic: (Answered) WiGE sideslipping  (Read 1810 times)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
(Answered) WiGE sideslipping
« on: 19 February 2017, 05:10:50 »
Total Warfare pages 55, 67, and 68 would seem to apply.

The rules aren't particularly clear on what happens to a WiGE if it side slips over an unoccupied legal hex that is two or more levels below it.

If a WiGE for example side slips from hex A(clear 6 levels tall) into hex B(clear 1 level tall and as mentioned unoccupied) would it crash or would it be able to go down safely as it would from normal flight as outlined on page 55?
« Last Edit: 20 February 2017, 10:15:56 by Xotl »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: WiGE side slipping
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2017, 20:51:58 »
(continuing this under Xotl's aegis from the other thread)

WiGEs aren't VTOLs. VTOLs are using thrust to maintain altitude, and by the p67 rules, don't get to decide to drop. WiGEs and their 'air cushions' either drop, or pay additional MP to maintain altitude (as per p55). While certain functions of WiGEs, VTOLs, and even LAMS get lumped together under some circumstances, they're very different modes of transport - hence the differences involved.

So in the L6 to L1 example, the p55 rules apply.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: (answered) WiGE side slipping
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2017, 22:48:12 »
Thanks, that is what I figured but as stated 67 and 68 were not super clear on such a situation.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2017, 23:03:30 »
Somehow, unfortunately, I don't think they consider my recommendation for a BattleWiGE Manual, covering all rules specifically applying to WiGEs in TW play, a likely commercial success. :( But, to cheer us up:

Harsh commercial sense, thus I refute thee!

W.  O:-)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2017, 23:07:51 »
I do appreciate the effort and I think I may have gone and made myself something of an expert on WiGE rules now trying to sort all these various messes out.

Register