Author Topic: Bringing a design back from the dead  (Read 9425 times)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Bringing a design back from the dead
« Reply #30 on: 19 March 2017, 01:46:01 »
You're missing my point: What is so special that it NEEDS to be put back into production? Just because it isn't and you like it? Well pre-Blackout that isn't going to cut it, and post-Blackout things are going to be so upset that bringing it back would be hard,

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #31 on: 19 March 2017, 19:55:56 »
You're missing my point: What is so special that it NEEDS to be put back into production? Just because it isn't and you like it? Well pre-Blackout that isn't going to cut it, and post-Blackout things are going to be so upset that bringing it back would be hard,

You are missing my point: I never stated that this particular design really needs to be put back into production. I can't even say that I particularly like it.

The original question was about bringing back to life a design that is out of production by a small company. If you think about such setting, then you will probably conclude that the era in which such a thing could happen is either Civil War-Jihad, or post-Blackout. In other eras you either have problems with producing any battlemech technology in general (Succession Wars), have to race against bigger companies that do exactly the same (Invasion) or have a global disarmament (post-Jihad). During Jihad and post-Blackout, any military is hungry for equipment, and you have a chance.

But the problem is to find a reasonable design that is out of production, and better without turning to exotics like Rampage and Alfar. I have not checked all the sources on 'Mech production, but may designs I thought were extinct appeared to be at least used by some factions during Dark Age, according to MUL. This does not automatically mean that they are also in production.

Hoplite is a cheap rugged gunboat, which can be produced with low-tech chassis and modern weapons, which brings costs lower. Heavier 4/6 'Mechs have more space for weapons, but they are both more expensive and probably produced by some other company. Anyway, Hoplite is not a suitable example, because General Motors owns the rights for it.

Maybe you can suggest some design that would suit the requirements.

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 19 March 2017, 21:06:29 »

I agree.    It isn't like some Star League era 'mech that was a complete game changer in armored combat has disappeared and its rediscovery would be change the balance of power (perhaps).

That just doesn't happen in Battletech.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #33 on: 15 May 2017, 09:46:04 »
To the OP: Reading page 167 of TRO:3075 has some information you may find relevant. The New Dallas Memory Core was broadcast far and wide by Chandrasekhar Kurita. I've highlighted the info here.

That widespread dissemination of information created startling results in the few years since its discovery. Complete access to free BattleMech schematics on antiquated designs has meant very little to the monolithic interstellar corporations such as IrTech, DefHes, LAW and others. (snip)
However, two interesting trends have emerged.
Re-Emergence
The first surrounds smaller corporations, usually building limited numbers of IndustrialMechs—or parts of IndustrialMechs—such as Iroquois Machinery Limited or N&D WorkMechs. (snip)
However, the data in the Hegemony Memory Core—combined with the uncertainly of the current Jihad and the threat of an attack from any quarter, no matter how buried a world is in the interior of a Great House—has become a catalyst for the re-emergence of these machines. Small corporations have leveraged the opportunity to secure funds from uncertain nobles and upgrade their production lines. With ancient designs that are often similar to IndustrialMechs, re-tooling is usually quick and cost effective. What’s more, companies have used the proliferation of new technologies and weapons over the last decades to create upgrades of ancient BattleMechs. While these machines might not stand toe-to-toe with the newest ’Mech walking off an interstellar conglomerate’s assembly line, they can still be dangerous on the
modern battlefield.
RetroTech
Another interesting trend (coined “RetroTech” by the MRBC) is also emerging. Some worlds, lacking the infrastructure, resources, and skills required to build full production BattleMechs, have produced primitive BattleMechs from these schematics; designs akin to the Mackie, Icarus and other famous “first BattleMechs.” (Some third-tier ’Mech production facilities, in an effort to feed the monstrous demands of the Jihad,
have also initiated production of primitive ’Mechs, preferring quantity over quality.) Barely more sophisticated than armed IndustrialMechs, such machines fall below even the most ancient BattleMechs.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2017, 09:48:12 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 21 May 2017, 05:52:59 »
Doesn't jibe, if making 'Mechs was that (relatively) easy we likely won't have had LostTech, that would be like giving Caterpillar the plans for the Sherman tank and expecting them to be able to duplicate in a couple of months.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #35 on: 22 May 2017, 16:50:36 »
Doesn't jibe, if making 'Mechs was that (relatively) easy we likely won't have had LostTech, that would be like giving Caterpillar the plans for the Sherman tank and expecting them to be able to duplicate in a couple of months.

Er no.  It's like giving Caterpillar the plans for the Matilda tank from WW1.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #36 on: 22 May 2017, 18:40:08 »
And having most of the necessary parts being things they were already producing for existing lines.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: 22 May 2017, 19:14:42 »
if making 'Mechs was that (relatively) easy we likely won't have had LostTech

I don't see how that follows. LosTech came about through the infrastructure for Star League tech being destroyed and the relevant knowledge being lost, and ComStar ROM going all out to make sure it stayed lost. Once the Helm memory core was discovered then all that LosTech knowledge was widely spread, and plenty of companies were able to make things like LB-X and Endo-steel without being nuked or assassinated. Making a new LosTech production facility in 2930 is a very different proposition to doing it in 3130.

If we're talking Retrotech then Primitive machines are easier to make than Introtech. As said before, they're basically similar to Industrialmechs. Small companies can put out Primitives without any access to Star League equivalent technology.

I don't think there's a real world analogy that works well. Primitive tech was invented around the early 2400s, and Retrotech machines appear (or reappear) about 650 years later in the late 3000s after a technological dark age. We don't have that IRL. On top of that, the time it would take to set up Retrotech lines could vary hugely depending on local variables - does the company have prior experience making battlemechs, does it a lot of prefab structures or modular machinery, can it easily retool an old line, are many skilled workers available, etc. As someone who has worked in many different factories IRL I can say that they're not all alike and some would have been much easier to build or repurpose than others.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #38 on: 22 May 2017, 22:23:23 »
I have a question:

How many 'mech designs are produced on heavily automated assembly lines and how many are basically "hand/custom made"?

Massively automated plants are the exception.

And while there are your hand-building lines, like VEST on Solaris VII, it seems like most plants use sub-assemblies made in other places, and shipped to the final 'factory' for assembly.

As a 'for-example', the Kallon Industries plant on Talon makes Rifleman. It appears that they make the Kallon Type IV chassis, Garrett T11-A comm sysems, Pitban 240 engine, and Kallon Royalstar armour on-site, but have to ship in the Garrett D2j targetting system, Magna large & medium lasers, and Imperator-A autocannons from other sources. Just to add to the fun, Kallon have plants in multiple realms, and one can only wonder how intellectual property is preserved ;)

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #39 on: 29 May 2017, 21:24:54 »
I would just say your example might 'prove' it does not . . . Garrett, wherever they are based, sells the D2j targeting system (likely requiring it to be shiped) for the Rifleman . . . but they licensed the comm system?  Granted the targeting system is considered to be special, but I would say its possible the comm system is a clone.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 31 May 2017, 02:19:01 »
Er no.  It's like giving Caterpillar the plans for the Matilda tank from WW1.
I think you'll find that Caterpillar in this case will be missing quite a few items, the gun most notably. (Also that tank is from WW2)

And having most of the necessary parts being things they were already producing for existing lines.
Take another look at the differences in the construction rules for BattleMechs and IndustrialMechs, the actual materials, and thus many of the casts, jigs and the like, are wrong for the job.

I don't see how that follows. LosTech came about through the infrastructure for Star League tech being destroyed and the relevant knowledge being lost, and ComStar ROM going all out to make sure it stayed lost. Once the Helm memory core was discovered then all that LosTech knowledge was widely spread, and plenty of companies were able to make things like LB-X and Endo-steel without being nuked or assassinated. Making a new LosTech production facility in 2930 is a very different proposition to doing it in 3130.

If we're talking Retrotech then Primitive machines are easier to make than Introtech. As said before, they're basically similar to Industrialmechs. Small companies can put out Primitives without any access to Star League equivalent technology.

I don't think there's a real world analogy that works well. Primitive tech was invented around the early 2400s, and Retrotech machines appear (or reappear) about 650 years later in the late 3000s after a technological dark age. We don't have that IRL. On top of that, the time it would take to set up Retrotech lines could vary hugely depending on local variables - does the company have prior experience making battlemechs, does it a lot of prefab structures or modular machinery, can it easily retool an old line, are many skilled workers available, etc. As someone who has worked in many different factories IRL I can say that they're not all alike and some would have been much easier to build or repurpose than others.
Not particularity, the OP just asked what would be needed, so we don't know what model he's talking about. And Primitive tech would be worse, that stuff LITERALLY isn't made any more, so to make a 'Mech that uses it you're pretty much in the situation of re-inventing the wheel.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #41 on: 31 May 2017, 11:22:54 »
Take another look at the differences in the construction rules for BattleMechs and IndustrialMechs, the actual materials, and thus many of the casts, jigs and the like, are wrong for the job.

Except that it's explicitly stated that Retrotech Battlemechs are closer to Industrialmechs and thus companies that are geared to produce Indistrialmechs can quickly and easily switch over to producing them.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #42 on: 31 May 2017, 12:41:07 »

Not particularity, the OP just asked what would be needed, so we don't know what model he's talking about. And Primitive tech would be worse, that stuff LITERALLY isn't made any more, so to make a 'Mech that uses it you're pretty much in the situation of re-inventing the wheel.

True on both counts. But then again, your engineers could probably use their experience to create the new molds, jigs, and tools needed for a BattleMech. Especially if they have the drawings, layouts, and engineering plans from a Memory Core. I don't recall the time frame mentioned by the OP, but his factory could get guidance from the Brotherhood of Randis, Colonial Tractors, or Meridian Manufacturing. They all build lower-tech combat units.

The only analogy I can think of is WW2 when automobile manufacturers re-tooled some of their lines to produce tanks. It took time, but with enough money and effort, they did it. So I'd say that if the OP wants to do it, it could be done. It's going to cost a fortune and take several years though.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #43 on: 08 June 2017, 18:44:25 »
guidance from the Brotherhood of Randis,

The factory is called Hope Industrial Works.

And i would not use the Randis reference, they got two very strange models, the first Capellan mech, a +600 years old model, and a +500 years old Steiner model. And also their own home-made model. Weird.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #44 on: 08 June 2017, 23:12:13 »
It may be worth mentioning that battlemechs are actually... rather easy to assemble.

Example, you take a mech that's had its arms, legs, head, side torsos, and all of its internal systems shot off, leaving just the core that is the center torso vaguely intact, and as long as you have the parts, you can rebuild it.

In your garage.

And those parts don't even have to be for that specific design, just close enough. An old centurion will take enforcer parts just fine (maybe even better, the Enforcer's autocannon might be less tempermental). In fact, it's so rare for a mech to require specific parts that it's actually noteworthy (the Clint).

It's no stretch to go from a mech that's had all its parts shot off being rebuilt to building a mech to a set of specs using the parts you have on hand (still in your garage).

This is less like telling a modern company to build an old tank, and more like telling a hobbyist to put together a kit using plans he got off the internet.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #45 on: 11 June 2017, 18:49:47 »
So what you're saying is I can build using hydraulics and techno chips?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 11 June 2017, 19:16:41 »
So what you're saying is I can build using hydraulics and techno chips?

TT

I'm saying that as long as a technician has basic schematics, a center torso that retains even a tiny portion of its structural integrity and is designed for the same mass as their target design, and parts that even roughly approximate those on their schematics, they can build that battlemech. In their Garage.

There's no real comparison to real world military production, because battlemechs are just that easy to build.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 11 June 2017, 19:31:42 »
Oh I agree, it's called FrankenMech surgery btw.

Been using it to make the most out of what I've got.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 11 June 2017, 20:26:23 »
I'm saying that as long as a technician has basic schematics, a center torso that retains even a tiny portion of its structural integrity and is designed for the same mass as their target design, and parts that even roughly approximate those on their schematics, they can build that battlemech. In their Garage.

There's no real comparison to real world military production, because battlemechs are just that easy to build.
This is the hard part, the OP is clearly talking about building 'Mechs from scratch, or at least that's what I think he's asking, so the above doesn't apply.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 11 June 2017, 20:37:52 »
I find it hard to believe that the central frame absent all of its internal components is somehow the most difficult part of building a battlemech.

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #50 on: 11 June 2017, 20:59:30 »
And Primitive tech would be worse, that stuff LITERALLY isn't made any more, so to make a 'Mech that uses it you're pretty much in the situation of re-inventing the wheel.

I don't see how that follows either. Primitive tech is close to Industrial tech and the production process is already known, so it's a case of retooling and not reinventing.

I don't buy the central premise of your argument in this thread. You've been saying that if a model is old and out of production, it would therefore be a huge headache to start building again. This has never been shown to be the case. There's plenty of evidence to the contrary though. For example, we know the FedCom soon starting churning out dead designs like the Thunderhawk and Nightstar once it had the tech to do so. If anything those are harder to make than a grungy old Introtech Icarus II, let alone Primitives. Again, you aren't going to find RL parallels for this. The timeline for Battlemech technology bases in the BT universe goes up and down and spans over six centuries, we don't have anything that compares.

This is the hard part, the OP is clearly talking about building 'Mechs from scratch, or at least that's what I think he's asking, so the above doesn't apply.

It applies because it shows how easy it is to at least assemble battlemechs. This is relevant to the kind of small companies that were making Retrotech during the Jihad. All you really need is a retooled Industrialmech manufacturing plant to make the components, and then an assembly line.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 12 June 2017, 17:14:17 »
All you really need is a retooled Industrialmech manufacturing plant to make the components, and then an assembly line.

Let's clarify what is needed, ok?

First we need some schematics to work with, wither or not we have them.
Secondly, we also have to have the ability to use the machines that make the components, again wither we have them or not.
And thirdly, we must have a place to assemble it all, these componenst, wither a line or a garage.
Finally we can create a FrankenMech, or a production quality version.

And when I say wither or not, it means just that. Plans and parts can be scratch-built or whole assembled pieces. The main goal is a functional mech, wither or not depends on what was used in it's creation.

What do you call an ICE Mech?
What do you call a Fission powered Mech?
What's a Fuel Celled Mech called?

See m point? Their all called Mechs...

TT
« Last Edit: 12 June 2017, 17:16:17 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #52 on: 12 June 2017, 17:35:30 »

So Battlemechs are made out of military-grade LEGOs?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 12 June 2017, 17:43:48 »
So Battlemechs are made out of military-grade LEGOs?

Actually, they probably are.  In a sense that "military grade legos" means generic mech components that are not proprietary or specific to a given mech type.

(Yeah yesh some mechs are fluffed as having that exact issue.  But since the fluff exists, that means by inverse everything that lacks that lore can be inferred to be built using "open source military grade legos".

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #54 on: 14 June 2017, 18:32:17 »
Let's clarify what is needed, ok?

First we need some schematics to work with, wither or not we have them.
Secondly, we also have to have the ability to use the machines that make the components, again wither we have them or not.
And thirdly, we must have a place to assemble it all, these componenst, wither a line or a garage.

I think it goes without saying that a company who wants to make Retrotech is going to have the schematics, especially since the whole concept of Retrotech only surfaced after the New Dallas memory core data was disseminated. I think it also goes without saying that these companies aren't going to use unskilled labour, and retooling an Industrialmech factory to make Primitive Battlemechs implies an existing labour force. Finding space for assembly is going to be trivial on most worlds, and might only a problem on marginal planets where everyone lives in sealed domes or something.

See m point?

To be honest, not really. It would be helpful if you could boil it down.