Author Topic: (Answered) Gravity, Atmosphere, and Blowers  (Read 1159 times)

Lionheart

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Sergeant
(Answered) Gravity, Atmosphere, and Blowers
« on: 20 March 2017, 22:26:55 »
So, let's put a 8/12 hovercraft on a .5 gravity moon.  Its speed is recalculated to 12/18, as you multiply by .5.  But, let us say the atmosphere is "trace", which puts a -2 penalty on a hovercraft's cruising speed.  So what is the order of operations here?  Do you subtract the 2 first, and then multiply by .5, or the other way 'round?  Traditional order of operations for mathematics says you multiply, and then subtract.   
« Last Edit: 08 April 2017, 10:07:26 by Xotl »
Catalyst Demo Agent #62

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Gravity, Atmosphere, and Blowers.
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2017, 23:04:11 »
If you asked this in the Rules Questions forum for TO, we could get an official answer on this. :)

As it is, having just looked at TO p.54 & onwards, I think you've found the edge case, as most of the other weather conditions apply additional modifiers to to-hit, PSR etc, all which stack neatly.

And it's especially good as it's not commutative - the order applies, as (grav then atmosphere) comes out as (8 / 0.5) - note it's not times 1.5, it's divided by the gravity & round down, which is 16 not 12, and then minus 2 for trace means 14 (for 14/21 movement); atmo then grav comes in as (8-2) / 0.5, or 12 (therefore 12/18).

If it were my choice, I'd go the more restrictive - atmo then grav, for 12/18. But that's me.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Lionheart

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2017, 23:16:08 »
Whoops.  I did not remember the rule correctly.  I did the "multiply by .5 and then add that to the total". 
But, is this not the place to ask it?  This is the TO rules questions forum, is it not?  Did I err again?
Catalyst Demo Agent #62

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2017, 23:46:47 »
Entirely my fault, or someone moved it! Thought this was in a general discussion sub-forum  :-[

I'll get this for official Research shortly !
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Gravity, Atmosphere, and Blowers
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2017, 10:07:20 »
Gravity mods will always come last.  This will be in the upcoming TO errata for the year.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Register