Author Topic: (OT) General rants  (Read 17291 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
(OT) General rants
« on: 28 April 2017, 14:33:16 »
Wow.. Talk about being "Borked over". Was looking at a local site that lists people and places doing yard sales in the area, and saw one that was "a big indoor yard sale at XYZ place of worship", and though, YAY.. No need to get a blasted permit (which my town requires to do yard sales, go figure)..
So i tried calling Mon and Tues to find out what i needed to do prior, and left 4 different voice mails.. None garnered a return call.

So today the day of, we packed the car and headed out an hour before hand, to give 25 min for travel time and a bit of time to set up.
Got there, saw the doors locked so waited for a little. Then one of the people from inside the church came out and saw us, and mentioned "We might still have some room inside, would you like me to get a cart so you can put your stuff on.. WE said, we would like him checking, but we would just be making a pile of our stuff outside for now, just in case.
4 min later he came back and said "we are too full up inside. And he stood by another female who came out and SHE said "but you could just set your stuff up here, and people can see both inside and out.."

So we did. Got our stuff set up, and waited..
THEN an hour later, the same guy and a different woman came out and told us "Sorry this is not a damn flee market, you are going to have to go". NOT EVEN A bloody apology for why not a single one of the 4 voice mails to their communications person or their building manager were returned, or for getting different answers to where/how we could set up.
Just a "You gotta go"..

I mean, if they didn't want us there, WHY tell us at first, "we can set up outside".??

AND if you are going to advertise for a "all can come yard sale", ANSWER the frakken phones for when someone calls to find out if they can come and set up!!
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Re: (OT) General rants
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2017, 16:44:58 »
Sounds like they decided to hold an event without actually planning it out or figuring out who was in charge.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2017, 19:57:01 »
What gets me on it is if you are generally organizing a function somewhere, you USUALLY Have someone there during the days leading up to it to answer questions.  YET none of the 4 voicemails i left with 2 separate people got answered..

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2017, 12:07:15 »
What gets me on it is if you are generally organizing a function somewhere, you USUALLY Have someone there during the days leading up to it to answer questions.  YET none of the 4 voicemails i left with 2 separate people got answered..

It can be really annoying when people do not get back to you.  I usually assume that they are busy.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2017, 21:37:26 »
2 different people for 4 straight days?  Not seeing that.  And how long does it really take to make a quick call back to someone saying "Hey just returning your call, sorry but right now i can't get that info for you, but you can try and call XYZ"..

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2017, 23:33:37 »
Yeah, this sounds like a few people decided to hold an event without actually figuring out what they needed to do or else there was someone who normally ran things that was suddenly out for whatever reason and nobody else to keep things in order.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2017, 01:23:12 »
No unity or chain of command... it happens, and with far more professional organisations than volunteer, social work or religious groups.

Congrats, you broke their OODA loop... unfortunately ;D

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2017, 14:40:23 »
No unity or chain of command... it happens, and with far more professional organisations than volunteer, social work or religious groups.

Congrats, you broke their OODA loop... unfortunately ;D

Now onto another 'rant'.  Anyone else live in a town/city that requires Permits to do yard sales?  Or permits to ride bikes???

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #8 on: 30 April 2017, 15:20:45 »
Wait? You need a permit to ride bicycles?
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #9 on: 30 April 2017, 17:17:38 »
My rant. I'm in the fast lane on a two lane highway. Up in front of me in the slow right lane are two cars. The second car then changes lanes in front of me......... and then doesn't pass the other car, but just drives next to the car they were intending to pass with me coming up behind them.

Yeah, to further tick me off, the speed limit is 65 mph and both of these clowns are going 55mph.  Grrrrrrrrr........

Gary Larson apparently had a similar situation and made a Far Side out of it.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #10 on: 30 April 2017, 22:25:34 »

I'm guessing yes, or possibly if they have bike races.  I don't know about permits, but I do know this area has at least two of them a year(Red Poppy Ride and Outlaw 100).  Both pass in front of my house.  For the record, I do try to be careful around bicyclists, but after one of them(who was going the opposite direction of the other bicyclists) yelled at me to get off the road(well, there's a cuss word there that we won't repeat), when I had nowhere else to go without slamming into the riders, and was heading to work with no alternate route, well, let's just say I got pretty irate yesterday.  :P

(And for those that did see my rant, I apologize for the nerdrage.  I'm not going to repost it, but I do apologize for it.)
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 01 May 2017, 00:53:40 »

Yup.  Stupid ain't it..

My rant. I'm in the fast lane on a two lane highway. Up in front of me in the slow right lane are two cars. The second car then changes lanes in front of me......... and then doesn't pass the other car, but just drives next to the car they were intending to pass with me coming up behind them.

Yeah, to further tick me off, the speed limit is 65 mph and both of these clowns are going 55mph.  Grrrrrrrrr........

Gary Larson apparently had a similar situation and made a Far Side out of it.

I royally hate that too, but WORSE to me is when someone does that WITHOUT bothering to even signal.  Just jumps in front of you cutting you off.. 

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 01 May 2017, 02:29:28 »
Considering the situational awareness of some people I wouldn't be opposed to a license to walk...

And "smart" phones certainly hasn't made things better! >:(

But when it comes to yard sales permits it's not so strange. Any large gathering of people with money involved is a potential problem for the police, forcing people to request a permit keeps the number down.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 01 May 2017, 09:24:31 »
Considering the situational awareness of some people I wouldn't be opposed to a license to walk...

But when it comes to yard sales permits it's not so strange. Any large gathering of people with money involved is a potential problem for the police, forcing people to request a permit keeps the number down.
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 01 May 2017, 13:32:09 »

And imo, "Social media" has made us LESS sociable..

How so?  Ever have a house party?  Never seen a permit for that, and that can (and often does from some of the news reports i have seen) get a lot more roudy than a yard sale. 

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: 01 May 2017, 14:21:51 »
Anyone else live in a town/city that requires Permits to do yard sales?

Yes. The permits are there in order to stop the people who truck out the crap in their garage every weekend, spoiling the curb appeal of the neighborhood.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 02 May 2017, 13:45:03 »
Maybe its a new thing cause i remember doing a # of yard sales back in the 90s (helping friends set up that is), and never having to get a permit, and no one griping that it "De-beautifies the area".

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 02 May 2017, 16:14:13 »
Well, even if there are no problems in one area there might have been somewhere else - and the rules usually covers a lot of places...

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 02 May 2017, 16:49:00 »
There were a few people in my area who would buy up things and then have a yard sale every weekend to sell the stuff they stocked up on.  In essence, they made it a business operating regularly out of a residential neighborhood. That's why they started requiring permits around here.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #19 on: 03 May 2017, 19:23:49 »

This describes my experience traveling through NC the last 4 days.  That and people just randomly walking in middle of the road for no apparent reason.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #20 on: 03 May 2017, 19:39:23 »
Well, even if there are no problems in one area there might have been somewhere else - and the rules usually covers a lot of places...
Not to mention there are some HOAs that come down hard on people if you aren't selling on a 'sanctioned' weekend. I don't live in a neighborhood that claps down hard on hard sales, I but I know a couple that do just down the road.  From a strictly jurisdiction stand point there are several places that have rules on the books.  The police of those locations probably have better things to do than go around busting up yard sales for a lack of a permit.

There were a few people in my area who would buy up things and then have a yard sale every weekend to sell the stuff they stocked up on.  In essence, they made it a business operating regularly out of a residential neighborhood. That's why they started requiring permits around here.

There is a family that does this exact same thing that is about 2.5 miles from my house.  They don't live in a development though they do live on a frequently used 2 lane road.  I know there is no business at that address and it has been going on for years.  As long as people aren't parking out on the road and on their private property though the local sheriff's office isn't going to care.  If their insurance company every finds out due to a claim on the property the incident is certain to be epic and I would not be at all surprised at all for it all to be news worthy in other citations that they would no doubt rack up.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 03 May 2017, 23:56:44 »
That's why i refuse to LIVE in a HoA..  Too many horror stories i have heard.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #22 on: 05 May 2017, 16:01:06 »
HoA?
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 05 May 2017, 16:05:04 »
Home owners Association..  Look online and you can find lots of horror stories from people on them.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 05 May 2017, 16:24:36 »
I was subject to one when I lived in Florida.  They're basically people who want power and can't get it any other way.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #25 on: 06 May 2017, 09:46:23 »
Home owners Association..  Look online and you can find lots of horror stories from people on them.

We have something similar here if you live in a apartment. There are quite the horror stories too.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #26 on: 06 May 2017, 11:31:10 »
The difference is that with an HOA, you've got someone who's telling you what you can and can't do on property you actually own.  The daughter of someone I know lives outside of Phoenix and her HOA requires everyone to have green lawns year round, which wastes an enormous amount of water vs something like a garden made up of climate-appropriate plants.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 06 May 2017, 13:49:11 »
The difference is that with an HOA, you've got someone who's telling you what you can and can't do on property you actually own.  The daughter of someone I know lives outside of Phoenix and her HOA requires everyone to have green lawns year round, which wastes an enormous amount of water vs something like a garden made up of climate-appropriate plants.
if you think that is bad try living in any of these little hellholes...
http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2442-so-perfect-its-creepy-i-live-in-city-designed-by-disney.html
it just gives me the creeps knowing that this exists...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #28 on: 06 May 2017, 13:59:39 »
if you think that is bad try living in any of these little hellholes...
http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2442-so-perfect-its-creepy-i-live-in-city-designed-by-disney.html
it just gives me the creeps knowing that this exists...
Well, that's Corporation style creepy. To think an HOA upgraded to the Corporation level....
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 06 May 2017, 16:39:30 »

All too true.  And what i find worse, is some times you may buy a house OUTSIDE an area that has a HoA, and a few years later, you might wind up now BEING In that HoA, all without knowing that "hey there was a vote to now include your street/block"..  And you can't do diddly squat about it once you are in...