Author Topic: (OT) General rants  (Read 17250 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: (OT) General rants
« Reply #30 on: 06 May 2017, 17:04:06 »
Well, that's Corporation style creepy. To think an HOA upgraded to the Corporation level....

It's damn near like a Shadowrun megacorp enclave.  I went through Celebration once in the 90s, it doesn't look or feel like a town, it's more like a movie set of a town.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 06 May 2017, 20:20:29 »
Home owners Association..  Look online and you can find lots of horror stories from people on them.

You think the stories are bad living in a HoA, try being on the board of one!  Sheesh had my car keyed, had people up in arms because of snow removal costing too much (during one of the snowiest winters on record), people would corner me over dues going up $3/month but then same people would tell me we needed to hire a full time gardener.  The last straw came when our resident retired playground monitor lectured me for 10 minutes and when I started to calmly and gracefully started to refute her accusations she started to interrupt like a washinton protester until I finally looked at her strait and said "____ I sat and listened to you politely, and now you will pay me the same ******* common curtesy and hear me out without interruption" after which she sat like a pouting 3rd grader.  The next meeting I was lectured by the other board members about being so disrespectful.  The icing on the cake came when our manager was caught embezzling after other members of the board let her hire husband and sister (which I spoke out against and was treated as the unfeeling clod) I ended up having the blame put on me and was voted off the island next election.  Since then the new board has asked if I wish to serve, to which I respond "no, no, @#$% no. good day"

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 06 May 2017, 20:24:48 »
My general rant.

Driving:

People not knowing how to turn when there are 2 turn lanes.  Inner most to inner most, 2nd from the inside to 2nd from the inside.  Your Honda is not an 18 wheeler, you do not have to swing wide!

That and the proliferation of self absorbed #@% consistently running red lights. Not even trying to squeak through a yellow, seems more and more people you'll get 2-3 cars entering intersection after its turned red.  I hope they get Tboned between a cement truck and a 18 wheeler hauling dynamite.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 07 May 2017, 01:05:02 »
My general rant.

Driving:

People not knowing how to turn when there are 2 turn lanes.  Inner most to inner most, 2nd from the inside to 2nd from the inside.  Your Honda is not an 18 wheeler, you do not have to swing wide!

That and the proliferation of self absorbed #@% consistently running red lights. Not even trying to squeak through a yellow, seems more and more people you'll get 2-3 cars entering intersection after its turned red.  I hope they get Tboned between a cement truck and a 18 wheeler hauling dynamite.

OR like i had yesterday, someone coming from an ON (Merge ramp) who then immediately drove to the outermost left hand lane almost smacking the front of my car, AND did it without even signling...  Or those who do the opposite.  Speed up in the left (fast) lane, till they are almost past the off ramp they need, and to a break neck 4 lane change, NO SIGNALS again, and almost smack 2-3 cars while doing so..  I SWEAR, there are times if i was a Telekinetic, the # of vehicles overturned in the grass median would be a hell of alot as i would be hurling jerkwads like that up in the air INTO the median!
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #34 on: 07 May 2017, 11:12:02 »
All too true.  And what i find worse, is some times you may buy a house OUTSIDE an area that has a HoA, and a few years later, you might wind up now BEING In that HoA, all without knowing that "hey there was a vote to now include your street/block"..  And you can't do diddly squat about it once you are in...

Isnt the signing of a contract necesary to get into onw of those HoA is yuor property was not originally into one?
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 07 May 2017, 14:05:59 »
Not sure.  I have known some areas who seemed to swallow neighboring streets up without those in the area's say, just cause there was a 'vote on inclusion or not', but those on that street, "accidentally were not informed of said vote".. 

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 07 May 2017, 17:44:29 »
Not sure.  I have known some areas who seemed to swallow neighboring streets up without those in the area's say, just cause there was a 'vote on inclusion or not', but those on that street, "accidentally were not informed of said vote"..
about the time they tell me I have to agree to their rules I would tell them they better have a good lawyer and put a big sign um in the yard reading I did not agree to be a member of the HOA and therefore I am not going to comply with their extortion. and check to see if they may be guilty of various crimes.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 07 May 2017, 20:01:37 »
All too true.  And what i find worse, is some times you may buy a house OUTSIDE an area that has a HoA, and a few years later, you might wind up now BEING In that HoA, all without knowing that "hey there was a vote to now include your street/block"..  And you can't do diddly squat about it once you are in...
Most places that can't happen.  If you bought before the HOA showed up and you don't want to be in it, you're in the clear.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 07 May 2017, 20:28:14 »
What is the legal authority of an HOA anyway?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #39 on: 07 May 2017, 20:33:09 »
My general rant.

Driving:

We call that "Cameron turning", after the son of friends who moved from the outside lane into the inside lane in order to enter a driveway, and got T-boned for his trouble. Compact car, too ...  ::)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #40 on: 07 May 2017, 23:26:40 »
It is entirely up to the way it is put together.  It can be anything as simple as maintenance of common grounds, telling you what you can or cannot do to the exterior of the home, and making certain you keep up with your property and it isn't going to pot so that you are not driving down the property values.  There are also different types of associations for condos and co-ops.  If you refuse to maintain your end of the deal, the HOA may and usually does have the ability to hire someone to do those tasks on your dime.  Which is to say if you don't pay and you try and put your home for sale you will fine a lien placed on your home until do pay for the work someone else had to do to your property.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 08 May 2017, 00:14:18 »
It is entirely up to the way it is put together.  It can be anything as simple as maintenance of common grounds, telling you what you can or cannot do to the exterior of the home, and making certain you keep up with your property and it isn't going to pot so that you are not driving down the property values.  There are also different types of associations for condos and co-ops.  If you refuse to maintain your end of the deal, the HOA may and usually does have the ability to hire someone to do those tasks on your dime.  Which is to say if you don't pay and you try and put your home for sale you will fine a lien placed on your home until do pay for the work someone else had to do to your property.
Okay, but what gives them the legal right to do that?

I don't live in the States, so HOAs here in my country are usually voluntary* - if at all incorporated separately, it would usually fall under the local Societies Act and function much like a private limited company; if you're in it then you're in it, but if you're not, you're outside of their jurisdiction and they cannot compel you otherwise.

*unless, as in the case of serviced apartments, private suburbs, gated developments, etc. which do take fees for security, upkeep and so on.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 08 May 2017, 01:17:37 »
We call that "Cameron turning", after the son of friends who moved from the outside lane into the inside lane in order to enter a driveway, and got T-boned for his trouble. Compact car, too ...  ::)

The # of cars in the past 3 years or so, i've seen still driving on the road after a collision where their front bumper's almost ripped off, one (or both headlights) are smashed in, and the hood's bent like crazy, makes me wonder are troopers even bothering to enforce vehicle condition laws?
I know when i was stationed in the UK, they were rather hawkish about that (Plus they would also check your MOT while they were at it)..

Okay, but what gives them the legal right to do that?

I don't live in the States, so HOAs here in my country are usually voluntary* - if at all incorporated separately, it would usually fall under the local Societies Act and function much like a private limited company; if you're in it then you're in it, but if you're not, you're outside of their jurisdiction and they cannot compel you otherwise.

*unless, as in the case of serviced apartments, private suburbs, gated developments, etc. which do take fees for security, upkeep and so on.

Not really sure we can answer that without crossing the politics line...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 08 May 2017, 09:44:00 »
IIRC, an HOA's job is to maintain the property values for members.  If the house adjacent to yours has a neglected front yard with peeling paint, a rotting fence, and a bunch of rusty bicycles in it, it hurts the value of your house if you're trying to sell it.  This is where the HOA's authority comes from.  As garhkal said, I think that's about as much as we can go into it without it becoming political.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #44 on: 12 May 2017, 12:44:51 »
Bondsman calls me out to work.  I drive 1000 miles and I have to wait a day and a half for him.  Then he pops out of the ground.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #45 on: 12 May 2017, 13:08:32 »

In the US, the authority comes from the incorporation documents for the corporation that is overseeing the construction of the subdivision. The HOA exists before ground is broken on the first house, there is no opportunity to not be part of it.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 12 May 2017, 22:35:56 »
In the US, the authority comes from the incorporation documents for the corporation that is overseeing the construction of the subdivision. The HOA exists before ground is broken on the first house, there is no opportunity to not be part of it.

HOAs are deeded that way.  My current condo was once an apartment and housing complex created by the Dayton family so we could all be good little workers at southdale.  in 1982 they were changed from rentals to condos/townhomes and deeded that way.  Also additional property can be purchased and written into the deed (bylaws also need to be re-written for this).  My HoA had to do this when they purchased a 15'x45' piece of property in order to fix a parking lot issue.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 13 May 2017, 14:09:12 »
my point was more that if they tried to forcibly annex my property into a  HOA's and retroactively tell me I am part of their HOA I really would tell them to go to hell.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 13 May 2017, 21:30:41 »
my point was more that if they tried to forcibly annex my property into a  HOA's and retroactively tell me I am part of their HOA I really would tell them to go to hell.

No you wouldn't.  since its a deeded property, you would have your team of lawyers tell their team of lawyers to tell them to go to hell.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #49 on: 13 May 2017, 23:19:38 »
What gets me is when HOA force you to have a fire hazard merely because it looks nice: RE wood shingles on your roof. You get hit by lightning and you're toast. Also, they make your insurance premiums go through the roof (pun intended). But they sure do look purty.  ::)

My pet peeve right now are those uber bright LED car headlights. Even at their normal brightness they blind everyone else on the road. Have a really dark stretch of road that I have to take if I want to go to the nearest WalMart and every time I meet someone with those style lights I feel like I need to stop. Because I'm literally blinded for 15-20. Here I am, when I see someone coming I knock my brights back down to normal and then when I get up to them they have the LED lights and it's like looking into the sun.  #P #P 
There should be a maximum on how many lumens car headlights can put out.  [tickedoff] [tickedoff]

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 14 May 2017, 00:31:28 »
My pet peeve right now are those uber bright LED car headlights. Even at their normal brightness they blind everyone else on the road. Have a really dark stretch of road that I have to take if I want to go to the nearest WalMart and every time I meet someone with those style lights I feel like I need to stop. Because I'm literally blinded for 15-20. Here I am, when I see someone coming I knock my brights back down to normal and then when I get up to them they have the LED lights and it's like looking into the sun.  #P #P 
There should be a maximum on how many lumens car headlights can put out.  [tickedoff] [tickedoff]

Just like IMO there should be a max DB limit Motorcycles can have both in idle and when driving. 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #51 on: 14 May 2017, 00:32:23 »

Agreed.  Every time I see a car with those I wonder how they're legal, given the hazard they present to other drivers.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 14 May 2017, 03:10:22 »
Do they use a different kind of headlights in the US? I've never heard of (or noticed) that problem over here. IIRC there's rules about how focused the light should be?

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #53 on: 14 May 2017, 08:14:38 »
Do they use a different kind of headlights in the US? I've never heard of (or noticed) that problem over here. IIRC there's rules about how focused the light should be?

There are rules, Department of Transportation puts them out to manufacturers. Some states check, most don't.

But the issue around here is not the lumens by the dipped lights, it's something a lot worse: there is a massive upswing of people driving around with their brights on. Bad enough when salesmen were encouraging people to drive with their fog lights on, this is just the natural extension of their stupidity.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: 14 May 2017, 08:25:02 »
There is a DoT stamp that proper headlights get if they have been approved.  I've been looking at replacement headlights for my Jeep and it's a bit of a pain to figure out what'll actually work and not get me into possible trouble.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 14 May 2017, 12:03:13 »
Just like IMO there should be a max DB limit Motorcycles can have both in idle and when driving.
I heartily agree!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 14 May 2017, 17:23:42 »
Got another one for ya.  The other day i had to pick up a game friend to take him to the store so we could do one of our ADND game sessions.  Had the car parked right at the LAST spot under the overhang..  He knew that, but when we came out, he walked RIGHT BY me, almost to the store's exit to the road and i was like "WTF??"  So i pulled up beside him and go "Where you walking to".
He replied "To your car.  WHY the hell did you move it on me?"

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 15 May 2017, 09:18:19 »
Got another one for ya.  The other day i had to pick up a game friend to take him to the store so we could do one of our ADND game sessions.  Had the car parked right at the LAST spot under the overhang..  He knew that, but when we came out, he walked RIGHT BY me, almost to the store's exit to the road and i was like "WTF??"  So i pulled up beside him and go "Where you walking to".
He replied "To your car.  WHY the hell did you move it on me?"
chuck it up still being in the game zone...
happened to me few times LOL
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #58 on: 21 August 2017, 22:57:56 »
Been awhile but I got a rant I just have to let off...I haven't been able to watch TV in 8 years. Ever since the switch to digital. About 4 years ago I bought what was supposed to be a digital TV, but have spent over $300 on various antennas for no appreciable difference. Even on a clear day, the least degradation and it's completely unwatchable. And if the weather is bad, well...

But what really pisses me off is that no matter how bad the shows come in, even when there's no signal, miraculously 90% of the commercials still come in.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #59 on: 22 August 2017, 00:44:13 »
Your digital provider sucks.

Register