Author Topic: (OT) General rants  (Read 17235 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: (OT) General rants
« Reply #60 on: 22 August 2017, 00:59:41 »
A lot of channels just said to hell with it when the digital switch occurred and stopped broadcasting over the air altogether since so many people switched to cable or dish services.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #61 on: 22 August 2017, 09:20:30 »
Your digital provider sucks.

Haha, that's just the free over-the-air networks like ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS... (I'm not interested in TV enough to actually pay for cable/dish. I just do without, or watch online if it's a show I just have to see.)

A lot of channels just said to hell with it when the digital switch occurred and stopped broadcasting over the air altogether since so many people switched to cable or dish services.

I have wondered if the whole switch to digital was really backed by the cable/dish companies as a way to get more customers...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 22 August 2017, 09:30:59 »
Been awhile but I got a rant I just have to let off...I haven't been able to watch TV in 8 years. Ever since the switch to digital. About 4 years ago I bought what was supposed to be a digital TV, but have spent over $300 on various antennas for no appreciable difference. Even on a clear day, the least degradation and it's completely unwatchable. And if the weather is bad, well...

But what really pisses me off is that no matter how bad the shows come in, even when there's no signal, miraculously 90% of the commercials still come in.
you still watch tv? #P i had not watched tv in almost 27 years...as for digital? its not useful you are better of getting one of the boxes that uses internet.
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #63 on: 22 August 2017, 09:33:54 »
you still watch tv? #P i had not watched tv in almost 27 years...as for digital? its not useful you are better of getting one of the boxes that uses internet.

These days, almost exclusively online. Stuff like "The Expanse", "Doctor Who", "The Strain". It's cheaper to simply buy a season here and there. As for broadcast TV...only watch it when I get super bored (which isn't often. XD)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #64 on: 22 August 2017, 16:50:59 »
ut what really pisses me off is that no matter how bad the shows come in, even when there's no signal, miraculously 90% of the commercials still come in.

I'd almost be willing to go back to regular cable..  after all those headaches..

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #65 on: 22 August 2017, 23:00:47 »
I would consider a bigger, external antenna, but I'm not sure what the terrain is where you're at(trees, power lines, hills, et al).  Plus it sounds like you haven't had luck with anything, no offense intended.

(Yeah, it's been years since I've dealt with digital ham radio.  I /really/ hate the R2D2 effect, but I like it when it comes in quiet.  That said, I know how you feel.  For some reason, I've got a few channels that only come in when they feel like it, but they come in strong on the other side of the house. I have to move the antenna to an impossibly awkward spot to get all the channels.  If it wasn't for my budget, I'd got with an external yagi.)
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 25 August 2017, 00:44:07 »
So, can we just rant about anything here? Because that would be awesome, as long as it doesn't get toxic...
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 25 August 2017, 01:24:19 »
Yes yes, I want to rant about not having enough stompy robots! #P

Or how stressful it has become having a daughter hitting puberty. What happened to my little princess!!! :'(

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #68 on: 25 August 2017, 13:58:18 »
So, can we just rant about anything here? Because that would be awesome, as long as it doesn't get toxic...

Rant away!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #69 on: 26 August 2017, 14:55:50 »
Or how stressful it has become having a daughter hitting puberty. What happened to my little princess!!! :'(

Oh yes, remember that well.

Boys are simple. You know your son is angry because you see the damage. You follow the trail of damage to see what made him angry. Puberty just makes this happen more often.

Girls ... are smaller women. "Is she mad? Why is she mad? Is she mad at me? What did I do? What did I not do? AAAARGH". Add puberty to the mix, and it's time to hide in the mancave painting robots.

Just remember, whenever a young man comes around, take him to the basement and show him your weapon collection. Smile a lot.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 26 August 2017, 15:45:39 »
Oh yes, remember that well.

Boys are simple. You know your son is angry because you see the damage. You follow the trail of damage to see what made him angry. Puberty just makes this happen more often.

Girls ... are smaller women. "Is she mad? Why is she mad? Is she mad at me? What did I do? What did I not do? AAAARGH". Add puberty to the mix, and it's time to hide in the mancave painting robots.

Just remember, whenever a young man comes around, take him to the basement and show him your weapon collection. Smile a lot.
dont forget one other thing to the list a thing that every teen boy dreads talk with the parents or THE talk.(to make it more hard and much more uncomfortable invite their parents also)
my younglings godparents used both very effectively...to a very worthy cringe on part of the intended victim. i loved it as spectator because it amused me...but the victim was not so amused. needless to say their girls (now grown up) never had much trouble...
but i should be careful my two are still preteens so my turn is coming... ;D
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 26 August 2017, 20:38:17 »
My cousin and brother-in-law both have "players curse", 5 girls between both of them.  They are both some pretty big guys so I am anticipating those first dates where some dude shows up to take their little girl out and those guys KNOW what that kid has on his mind.

Reminds me of a college friend of mine that went to high school with Baron Von Rashke's daughters, he said they didn't get many dates because everyone was afraid to go back and meet the old man.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #72 on: 26 August 2017, 21:04:24 »
I think having jars of preserved animal family jewels might be better than showing them a weapons collection hehehe. This is from a dog, a cat, a deer... I still have shelf space if you wish to help me increase my collection }:)

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: 27 August 2017, 15:55:03 »
Rants.

Mold in my house.

So I took my mother to the hospital last April for a respiratory infection, and when I was cleaning her room I found mold on the carpets. If it's on the carpets, it's IN the carpets, and that's too much for us to handle. It doesn't surprise me; after it rains for an hour or two the carpets feel damp to the feet, but it took a really hard metaphorical shove to get my mother wanting to move.

So we decided to move out, and started packing our stuff. When I went to move a bookcase, the bottom half of it just fell apart it was so rotten, and I found a three foot by two foot triangle of mold coming from a hole in the wall.. that had broken out FROM INSIDE THE WALL, as though water had coursed down and forced it open! By the way, we live in California and it was about 5x as rainy as it should have been this last winter.

After that, I got sick! Couldn't breathe enough to walk to the bathroom! 

I told my Landlord why we were looking for a new place in June, citing the respiratory infections and mold and other problems, and then he hits me with a 60-day eviction notice claiming that my sister's boyfriend lives there! We threatened legal action and he's been fairly quiet since, but the eviction notice runs out on the 5th of next week.

I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FIND A NEW HOME. I've been looking and applying since MAY, and nothing doing - because we have pets, and 80% of the houses that will fit my family state "No pets."

The worst part about this, is, strangely, the fact that my wife and I have TEN THOUSAND dollars in the bank, but because we have NO credit (not even BAD credit, just NO credit!) we can't get a mortgage and BUY a house - and we can't buy a mobile home to put in a park because no one will give loans on that kind of thing which aren't out-and-out robbery.

If my mom weren't so damned sickly (and didn't insist, along with my wife, about staying up here in the mountains) I'd have flipped the bird to this town months ago and looked elsewhere, probably in Oregon or Washington.

And my sister's boyfriend. WHAT A METH-ADDLED IMPULSIVE LOSER. He has exactly zero impulse control (the whole reason that my landlord hates him is because he came tearing around a blind corner at 30 mph in our little housing complex and almost ran the landlord over, then started screaming at the landlord!) and oh my gods, I can't STAND him. I think the insult that I would allow that kind of human trash to live with me is worse than the eviction notice.

Y'know, I thought typing this out would make me feel better. It did not.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #74 on: 27 August 2017, 17:53:57 »
Man that does suck..
On that credit/mortgage issue, sounds like me.

Retired out of the navy in 2012, owned my home in Gulfport, but cause of the 09 housing crash, if i sold it when i retired, i'd barely have gotten 65 cents on the dollar (sale price was barely 95k, when i bought it for 159k).
Moved up to Columbus Oh, and was looking to buy a house up here.  BUT even with me having over 100k in the bank, 80k in stocks/bonds/mutuals, and 50k or so in savings bonds, no bank was willing to give me a new mortgage as my 'debt to income ratio' was too high (my retirement pension is roughly 2k, with 1.4k for the mortgage)..
SO i had to liquidate a lot to buy the house all for cash..

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #75 on: 27 August 2017, 18:43:41 »
I think having jars of preserved animal family jewels might be better than showing them a weapons collection hehehe. This is from a dog, a cat, a deer... I still have shelf space if you wish to help me increase my collection }:)

Don't say the last bit. Just have a couple of empty jars ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: 27 August 2017, 19:39:20 »
Man that does suck..
On that credit/mortgage issue, sounds like me.

Retired out of the navy in 2012, owned my home in Gulfport, but cause of the 09 housing crash, if i sold it when i retired, i'd barely have gotten 65 cents on the dollar (sale price was barely 95k, when i bought it for 159k).
Moved up to Columbus Oh, and was looking to buy a house up here.  BUT even with me having over 100k in the bank, 80k in stocks/bonds/mutuals, and 50k or so in savings bonds, no bank was willing to give me a new mortgage as my 'debt to income ratio' was too high (my retirement pension is roughly 2k, with 1.4k for the mortgage)..
SO i had to liquidate a lot to buy the house all for cash..
Did you try to go through VA Home Loans? They do offer good rates, and refinance too - the only reason that we didn't qualify is because our income wasn't QUITE high enough. I've been accepting underemployment to make sure that my mom is cared for (and because no one up here is willing to hire a man with a degree in early childhood development, ******).

A'course, this is in California, where the CalVet program exists as a direct line between VAHL and cuts the bank out entirely. Banks are bastards.

By the way, I was an AT stationed up at Whidbey Island.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 28 August 2017, 00:10:15 »
Did you try to go through VA Home Loans? They do offer good rates, and refinance too

Yes i did but the lady there said the same thing "Your debt to income ratio is too great, even if you HAVE the finances in the bank to cover it, we ONLY look at the DtIR for whether a mortgage can be issued, sorry to say"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #78 on: 28 August 2017, 03:18:57 »
Navy Federal (at least) looks more favorably on that based on how much you can put down (as the mortgage payments will be lower).  I'm surprised the loan officer didn't discuss that aspect.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #79 on: 28 August 2017, 14:27:20 »
Unfortunately the closest NFCU branch office is up on the North EAST side of Cleveland..

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #80 on: 28 August 2017, 19:43:22 »
Yikes, that a bit more of a hike than I would have thought.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #81 on: 29 August 2017, 00:07:44 »
Worse, NFCU's site lists a # of workable ATMS in the columbus area..  However some are in work places where you need to be MEMBERS of that work place to get INTO...

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #82 on: 29 August 2017, 00:40:47 »

I sympathise with you, was there 12 months to 5 years ago but when she emerges like a butterfly into young adulthood, it is worth the 5-6 years of banging your head against a wall.

"The I Love Me Wall" works too . . .

Welcome, come in. Yes these are family photos that line the hallway. There is the photo of me in my military uniform. There is the photo of me in my camouflage uniform. There is the photo of me in my camouflage uniform with my assault rifle. Yes, I am still in the reserves, I get to go bush and stay current on the rifle range once a year. There is the photo of me with my Special Forces mate, did you know that my mate loves [insert Daughter's Name] like she is his god-daughter and I would not know what he would do if anything was to happen to her. There is the photo of my father-in-law in his Detective Sergeant uniform, he is retired now, but it is amazing some of the stories he tells of how you can make a body disappear and the police will not find enough forensic evidence to identify the body or link anyone to the crime.  >:D
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #83 on: 29 August 2017, 12:33:40 »
Did I suddenly get dropped back into the 50s or something?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #84 on: 30 August 2017, 01:39:47 »
Sure starting to look like it lol

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #85 on: 30 August 2017, 12:16:06 »
I saw a picture once of a shirt that a father had given to his teenage daughter. It said, "Guns don't kill people, fathers with beautiful daughters do." She thought it was pretty funny, and I believe she wore it occasionally as well. My favorite, though, has to be the line from Clueless: "I've got a .45 and a shovel...I doubt you'd be missed."

Sadly, this tactic wouldn't have worked all that well on me as a young lad. I would have been thinking, "Look at these awesome guns! I wonder if I can get her dad to take us out shooting?"

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #86 on: 30 August 2017, 12:44:44 »
I saw a picture once of a shirt that a father had given to his teenage daughter. It said, "Guns don't kill people, fathers with beautiful daughters do." She thought it was pretty funny, and I believe she wore it occasionally as well. My favorite, though, has to be the line from Clueless: "I've got a .45 and a shovel...I doubt you'd be missed."

Sadly, this tactic wouldn't have worked all that well on me as a young lad. I would have been thinking, "Look at these awesome guns! I wonder if I can get her dad to take us out shooting?"
it would not had worked on me either...
in my case i was too busy to date working 3 jobs so i can eat...
and guns ? enjoyed to many in my time to be afraid of them...could had pointed few things out to make them better or deadlier...

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #87 on: 02 September 2017, 15:00:59 »
Got another rant..  Stores that 'advertise stuff" as being on special offer say for 300$ but then leave out all the 'add ons'..  Such as today when i went to get a new drier (getting it fixed would cost 300+, so it seemed not worth fixing it)..  The drier i was buying was 399 on special (normally 539..  Then you add in a "power cord fee as they can't use existing ones you may have", "air duct hose" fee (similarly they can't attach what hoses you have), "Take old one away for recycling fee", and extended warranty fees.. 

What ever happened to where A) Manufacturers themselves had 5 yr warranty on their appliances (or furniture)??  These days its rare to find one with more than a  1 year warranty..  B) Stores being able to USE what hoses/powercords you already had existing for your gear (as long as its the same thing)?  OR Throwing them in with the cost of the item??

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #88 on: 02 September 2017, 15:05:32 »
Well, there's just no money to be made with any of those things.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #89 on: 02 September 2017, 23:13:23 »
Got another rant..  Stores that 'advertise stuff" as being on special offer say for 300$ but then leave out all the 'add ons'..  Such as today when i went to get a new drier (getting it fixed would cost 300+, so it seemed not worth fixing it)..  The drier i was buying was 399 on special (normally 539..  Then you add in a "power cord fee as they can't use existing ones you may have", "air duct hose" fee (similarly they can't attach what hoses you have), "Take old one away for recycling fee", and extended warranty fees.. 

What ever happened to where A) Manufacturers themselves had 5 yr warranty on their appliances (or furniture)??  These days its rare to find one with more than a  1 year warranty..  B) Stores being able to USE what hoses/powercords you already had existing for your gear (as long as its the same thing)?  OR Throwing them in with the cost of the item??
sigh that's when you (I) tell them no I want the dryer, "free delivery?" sure, pay for delivery? no thanks, power cord no thanks, install no thanks I will deal with that myself, removal of the old unit? if its free sure, fee no thanks, exhaust tube no thanks, I will spend the 15 minutes hooking it up myself.

Like you said a lot of it is basically bait and switch crap. which used to be illegal

the dryer cord and vent duct tube you can make arguments about it being a scam, but it reminds me of why I have never gone back to Les Schwab tires after the way they treated me, as if I had a big "SUCKER" tattooed across my forehead.
I went in because I had a tire I thought was marginal (it wasn't it was shot) and they told me "oh by the way your front brakes are metal on metal, they might have "technically" been that worn, because the squeekers had just made contact, the thing is I thanked them for the info and went over to my dads friend who is a mechanic, and we looked, Like I said the pads were worn down enough that the "squeekers" were just making contact, meaning I really had at least another 5-10K miles of break pad (or more) before they would have "really been metal on metal" IE there isn't any pad left before the rivets, or backing material hits the wear surface.

so 30 minutes of work and $40 worth of pads saved me over $500 worth of "repairs" by the tire store, because they don't do anything but loaded calipers because they can't "guarantee" the old calipers if they just change the pads, and of course if you change the calipers then you need to replace the rotors too right? and $300 worth of parts means $300-400 worth of labor and ....