Author Topic: Short story: Of Marble and Mud  (Read 1899 times)

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
Short story: Of Marble and Mud
« on: 23 May 2017, 07:22:07 »
Hi, first time posting in this forum. Have a story I'd originally planned to submit to BattleCorps, but they seem to be in transition at the moment, I thought I'd share here instead.

As a BattleCorps-style story, it tries to remain within canon and focuses on a small, human story rather than a big epic, but I hope you'll like it just the same. I've taken the "Enemy Mine" trope (enemies stranded together, must cooperate to survive) and put a BattleTech twist on it.

Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c2yr8qgyauo800l/Of%20Marble%20and%20Mud.pdf?dl=0

Would be interested to hear your reactions, thoughts or comments. Enjoy.

Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

snakespinner

• Captain
Re: Short story: Of Marble and Mud
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2017, 01:11:48 »
Interesting story.
Makes you think who was the honourable one, and shooting someone in the back who helped you is not the honourable course of action. O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
Re: Short story: Of Marble and Mud
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2017, 07:37:02 »
Thanks very much for taking the time to read and comment. Glad you got something out of it.

You're quite right, honor is one of the themes I was trying to explore. Yours is an interesting take.
In my own mind, it was not so much who was more honorable, more a question of whether--in the context of the BattleTech universe--things we'd normally consider good (honor, loyalty, marble) are actually making the universe worse than the alternatives (mud).
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)