Author Topic: Ascension (by Cannonshop, GiovanniBlasini, and Liam's Ghost)  (Read 16442 times)

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
Re: Ascension (by Cannonshop, GiovanniBlasini, and Liam's Ghost)
« Reply #30 on: 11 May 2017, 02:19:03 »
[[Posted by Cannonshop, 05-05-2007, 22:46:06]]

Tabiranth

["...No more humans. Period."] Tabby replied, ["I'm not going to do it."]

"Tabby, you pretend you don't care, all the time, you yell at me all the time about how much you don't like people-and then, you turn around and prove you're only fooling yourself." Tachikoma 007, aka 'James', replied. 

["I can't deal with it again, James.  Joe, then Leroux, then Crandall..." She almost snarled. "Two died, and the third turned out to be a damned traitor.  I'm not doing it again."]

"Tabby, you haven't even gotten over Joe..." 007 pointed out, "...and Leroux wasn't your fault either-she knew what was going to happen."

["You think I don't know that? Or that the refugees wouldn't stay?"] she answered, ["I don't want to go through that..."]

"Tabby, even us Tachikomas can damp that stuff.  Why don't you try?" James replied.

["I Have Been...trying... it won't go away, James.  I remember them all, every one, every time I down-cycle for maintenance, every time I run into someone or something that reminds me of them..."] her 'avatar' finished its task.

"It's the Professor, isn't it?" James asked, "he reminds you of Joe."

["Yes.  And he's going to die."]  Tabby replied, "Just like Joe." came out of the remote's mouth.

"Is that why you didn't want to fight them?" James asked.

["No... it's because...it's complicated, James.  I was built for one purpose, and I'm good at it, but...remember..."] a wave of grief slid across the connection, grief, and pain.

James caught the image-reference, the Blakist "hospital camps'' on New Earth, and he understood immediately.  "Tabby, you're not Like that."  He said.

["I could be.  How do I know I'm not?  I could have done things differently after that."] Tabby said, ["Leroux would still be alive if I hadn't...if I'd stuck to the plan, instead of letting my feelings go."]

"You couldn't have known that.  Tabby, you really couldn't, and it was the war."  James finished his own tasks.  The in-system drives on the Kiema were now active.

["I can't let it go, James.  It's why I...was reluctant to come back to active duty.  What we saw there also changed my other half into Maggie, you know."]  she replied.

"I know, Tabby. And I know that Orca decided to try and stay with Stone because of Skye." James said, "He saw those places there, too..."

"So did you, James... but I can't forget them.  I try and I try...and they stay all the time, and it's bad for my efficiency, if I were human, the Admiral would have put me out on a medical." Tabby said, "But I'm not, I'm supposed to be the war-machine, the superb killer who is obedient and remorseless..."

"and you're not.  I know, Tabby.  So does Sybil...and the Admiral." James said soothingly.

"I don't want to be like this, James, I want to be... I don't want this feeling.  It's clouding my judgement and it's dangerous."  Tabby said.

"I wonder if that's true-the Blakies had a logical plan and objective, they were doing it ruthlessly and without remorse-and it was totally evil." James told her, "You're feeling bad, and that's probably good."

Quote from: croaker, 06-05-2007, 03:14:31
["I can't deal with it again, James.  Joe, then Leroux, then Crandall..." She almost snarled. "Two died, and the third turned out to be a ****** traitor.  I'm not doing it again."]
Okay, there is DEFINITELY a story here, and it's a good one...

["I could be.  How do I know I'm not?  I could have done things differently after that."] Tabby said, ["Leroux would still be alive if I hadn't...if I'd stuck to the plan, instead of letting my feelings go."]
... oh, yeah. Come on, CS, you know we need to see it. Pretty please with autocannon sprinkles on top?

["I can't let it go, James.  It's why I...was reluctant to come back to active duty.  What we saw there also changed my other half into Maggie, you know."]  she replied.

"I know, Tabby. And I know that Orca decided to try and stay with Stone because of Skye." James said, "He saw those places there, too..."

Innnnteresting. Very interesting. They were with the Loonies and Falcons at Skye? Now this I want to see....

In case I haven't mentioned it before, you guys rock.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #31 on: 11 May 2017, 02:22:06 »
[[Posted by Giovanni Blasini, 07-05-2007, 20:49:22]]

Star League Repair & Refit Yard #83
Uncharted Periphery System
Aboard the SLS John Morgan
March 8, 3084

John watched the group disembarking from the shuttle.  He quickly picked out Captain Tamiya and Professor Danaban from the crowd, both of which were scanning the boat bay, presumably looking for, well, a "human" face.

"Which, of course," John thought, "I can't quite give them just yet.  But, hey, I might be a disembodied software ghost, but I just can't bring myself to wear one of those female-looking bodies."

Instead, he keyed the speakers for the boat bay, made sure the volume level was high enough to be heard over the din, and low enough to be comfortable to human hearing, and spoke.  {"Hello, all.  I'd like to welcome you aboard the SLS John Morgan.  I'm John, your host, the ship's captain and, well, the ship."}?

Professor Danaban spoke up first.  "I presume you do not have a remote avatar, the way the Tabiranth does?"

{"Um, no, I'm afraid not.  There wasn't exactly time to get ahold of one that appeared male, let alone that looked like my old body, and, well, since I refuse to wear one of the spare female android bodies, I was getting by just fine using virtual reality.  Of course, that's proving to be a real pain in the ass now..."}

Tamiya picked up on it first.  "Your....old body?

{"Yeah, see, up until about a year and a half ago, I was your typical, garden-variety human being, and skipper of the SLS Sybil Ludington - you'll met her later today.  Then, at a conference, someone decided to shoot me in the chest with a radium slug from a sniper's rifle.  That kind of did a number on me, and despite Sybil's best efforts, she wasn't able to save me.  I suppose running for your life from a fleet of formerly friendly WarShips who really, really want you dead didn't help matters - we couldn't exactly stop at a major hospital, you know?"

The Professor and Captain exchanged somewhat confused looks, before Tamiya spoke up again.  "So, you're a cyborg now?"

{As in part biological, part machine?  Not really, no.}

Danaban was truly confused now.  "So, what are you then?"

{"Well, I'm a down-to-the-last-neuron-and-every-single-connection copy of my old brain, running as software on the John Morgan's computer core, with additional software designed to interface my nervous system with whatever I need it interfaced with at the time, be it my ship, or a VR avatar."}

Pretty much everyone in the boat bay stopped for a moment, and stared at one another.  Professor Danaban found his voice first.  "How's that working out for you?"

{"Not too bad, actually.  I still have my occasional existential crisis, but between the amount of work to keep me busy, a wife who's been really great about the whole thing, and a mother-in-law who's been there and done that for a lot longer than I have, I tend to get over 'em pretty quickly.  I mean, I still feel like the same John Morgan who grew up in the Fed Suns, joined the SLDF, flew a fighter 'til my unit got wiped out by the Blakists - in this system, in fact - and somehow ended up in command of a 300 year old sentient WarShip, then went and fought a war.  I still feel like me.  I guess Descartes was right, you know?"}

Tamiya seemed a bit confused.  "Descartes?"

Danaban nodded his head.  "Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum.  'I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am'."

{"Damn straight.  Now, let's finish getting everyone aboard and situated, so we can get you all to the Yard, and see about getting everyone fed and happy while we figure out what to do with you, and if we can patch up your ship."}

Captain Tamiya nodded.  "And if you can't?"

{"If we can't?  Well, I'll be leaving that decision to the Admiral, though I think it's safe to say you've got no reason to fear for your safety."}

Tamiya frowned.  "We've heard this 'Admiral' mentioned before.  Who is he?"

The Professor nodded.  "For that matter, you mentioned a wife and mother-in-law.  May I enquire as to their identity?"

{"Hmm, well, it's going to be damned obvious soon enough, anyway, since there aren't exactly a lot of us here.  Sybil, the AI for the SLS Sybil Ludington, is my wife.  We got married after my 'change', since I was moving to this hull, was no longer her commanding officer, and we no longer had to worry about stomping all over the damn regs on fraternization any more than we already had.  As for my mother-in-law and 'the Admiral', they're one and the same: Rear Admiral Noriko Murakami, former head of the M-5 and M-6 Projects, now commander of the SLDF Navy-In-Exile."}

Quote from: GiovanninBlasini, 07-05-2007, 21:02:53
Quote from: chanman, 07-05-2007, 20:59:51
Really, John shoulda popped the bomb when everyone was getting settled in and sipping coffee.

At the very least, some alcohol in the coffee would help dull the shock... although it might greatly increase the mess generated  :D

Yeah, see, but he'd be left to clean up the mess - well, the Tachikomas would, actually, but the mess would be internal to his physical body.

I mean, really, would you want to have to have your digestive tract, or endocrine system, etc. scrubbed out?  No?  Didn't think so.  :p

Quote from: chanman, 07-05-2007, 21:49:59
This is really confusing though, as a friendly ship, John would be a she, eh?

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 07-05-2007, 22:25:21
Perhaps he's part Russian?

Quote from: Direwolf007, 07-05-2007, 23:29:58
{"Hmm, well, it's going to be damned obvious soon enough, anyway, since there aren't exactly a lot of us here.  Sybil, the AI for the SLS [/I]Sybil Ludington, is my wife.  We got married after my 'change', since I was moving to this hull, was no longer her commanding officer, and we no longer had to worry about stomping all over the damn regs on fraternization any more than we already had.  As for my mother-in-law and 'the Admiral', they're one and the same: Rear Admiral Noriko Murakami, former head of the M-5 and M-6 Projects, now commander of the SLDF Navy-In-Exile."}
I wanna see the reactions to *that*. LOL.

This is getting better by the minute.

BTW, are there any future plans for offspring ? That is new AI cores to be built for the group ?

Quote from: Gingiva, 08-05-2007, 00:59:26
Quote from: Direwolf007, 07-05-2007, 23:29:58
BTW, are there any future plans for offspring ?
somehow i find tt mentally rather uncomfortable :o

Quote from: Direwolf007, 07-05-2007, 02:34:38
Quote from: Gingiva, 08-05-2007, 00:59:26
somehow i find tt mentally rather uncomfortable :o
I was talking about building an AI which would be "raised" to know its said offspring. Somehow I doubt warships do the deed, ya know   ::)

Quote from: Headshot, 08-05-2007, 03:30:56
Not the warships, but the AIs definitely do, ain't cyberspace wonderful...? ;)

Quote from: chanman, 08-05-2007, 03:35:17
Quote from: Direwolf007, 07-05-2007, 02:34:38
I was talking about building an AI which would be "raised" to know its said offspring. Somehow I doubt warships do the deed, ya know   ::)

Whatever you do, just don't picture the USAF/French Air Force's preferred method of mid-air refueling... with the giant flying boom connecting to tiny fighters to fill them full of gas.

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 08-05-2007, 03:41:08
Noooo comment.  :o

Quote from: chanman, 08-05-2007, 03:51:33
Just be glad no sound effects were provided this time... because in space, no one can hear you... never mind. :D

Quote from: Direwolf007, 08-05-2007, 04:17:43
What have I done ?!?!?!  :o

Quote from: Gingiva, 08-05-2007, 04:30:26
i really dont know... who knows what kind of direction fiction might take now? [dead]

Quote from: roastpuff, 08-05-2007, 06:03:42
Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 07-05-2007, 22:25:21
Perhaps he's part Russian?
"Russian warships are male but they are mostly gay."  ;)

--p.64, Yellow Eyes, by John Ringo.

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 08-05-02007, 06:52:49
LOL...Yeah, I read the preview for that....it's....interesting. :D

Quote from: chanman, 08-05-2007, 07:41:28
Quote from: Gingiva, 08-05-2007, 04:30:26
i really dont know... who knows what kind of direction fiction might take now? [dead]
As long as we leave pressure sensors and pleasure centres out of this, I'll give it better than even chances of avoiding degeneration into a tawdry bodice-ripping novel involving disembodied sentinences residing aboard the neural nets of multi-hundred-thousand tonne warships.

But that doesn't mean I'm not going to throw ideas out there.  It's up to the writers themselves to resist the lure of the dark side  }:)

Quote from: cawest, 08-05-2007, 08:22:15
Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 08-05-2007, 06:52:49
LOL...Yeah, I read the preview for that....it's....interesting. :D
it was very good.. i loved Daisy May, and Sal after she went "nuts"  Tex did not get much page time.

Quote from: Ajax_Wolf, 08-05-2007, 09:40:05
Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 07-05-2007, 20:49:22
{"Um, no, I'm afraid not.  There wasn't exactly time to get ahold of one that appeared male, let alone that looked like my old body, and, well, since I refuse to wear one of the spare female android bodies, I was getting by just fine using virtual reality.  Of course, that's proving to be a real pain in the ass now..."}
So all the sexbots that were aquired in Knock Nock were [female]? There was something like ~270 (everyone that was on planet) of them that Sybil bought, and not one was male?

Geez, talk about stereotyping.

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 08-05-2007, 10:42:40
Forty, actually, purchased on Murphrid as a stop-gap measure.  For that small a sample, odds are most, if not all, would have been female.

Now, add in the results of ten years of attrition of a "luxury good", and consider that Orca, an AI that did consider himself "male", undoubtedly had "first dibs" on any male-pattern androids they acquired.  Add in his eventual scrapping, and odds are very low that they'd have such a "drone unit" available.

Quote from: Deathray, 08-05-2007, 10:48:04
Did Orca ever get any face time? I'm rather curious about him.

Quote from: chanman, 08-05-2007, 10:49:35
Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 08-05-2007, 10:42:40
Forty, actually, purchased on Murphrid as a stop-gap measure.  For that small a sample, odds are most, if not all, would have been female.

Now, add in the results of ten years of attrition of a "luxury good", and consider that Orca, an AI that did consider himself "male", undoubtedly had "first dibs" on any male-pattern androids they acquired.  Add in his eventual scrapping, and odds are very low that they'd have such a "drone unit" available.
Man, talk about potential for one seriously headache-inducing gender-bending identity crisis.

"John?"
"Yes Sybil?"
"I think one of the Tachis toggled my gender switch by accident.  I think my voice just dropped an octave, and I'm experiencing a weird impulse to vent atmosphere from my rear airlocks."
"Sybil... you make my head hurt... and I seem to have lost THAT some time ago"

Quote from: Euphonium, 08-05-2007, 11:14:33
ROFLMAO!

Thank God I had to put my drink down to scroll down to that!

Quote from: Nerd, 08-05-2007, 11:18:54
Quote from: chanman, 08-05-2007, 10:49:35
Man, talk about potential for one seriously headache-inducing gender-bending identity crisis.

"John?"
"Yes Sybil?"
"I think one of the Tachis toggled my gender switch by accident.  I think my voice just dropped an octave, and I'm experiencing a weird impulse to vent atmosphere from my rear airlocks."
"Sybil... you make my head hurt... and I seem to have lost THAT some time ago"
Oh, lord, that's a good one! I suddenly want to have an internet connection in a private place, so people won't ask why I'm so odd.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #32 on: 11 May 2017, 02:25:44 »
[[Posted by Cannonshop, 08-05-2007, 07:40:33]]

Tabiranth...

Tabby finished slave-linking Kiema's in-system drives to synch with her own systems.  That job finished, she set up a relay-link path and sent her Remote into the belly of the vessel-to examine the "Liquid Core" system in "Person".

Hmmm...they could have used a good analytical AI for this. she noted.  The system would work-but it needed to be refined.

[<Initiate Data Uplink>]

Tabby began forwarding the information from the computers, and from direct examination of the core, to Sybil.  The objective was, of course, to figure out exactly where the designers went wrong, and whether or not it could be repaired...and improved, or was another dead-end technology.

The work was pleasantly distracting-she pulled four or five more remotes into the area, to increase her work-area and provide additional input.  Busy hands are Happy hands...and the more busy hands you have, the happier you are, right? right... the self-deception wasn't working very well, and she knew it, but maintaining the distraction would, at least, keep her from slipping into a defrag cycle for a bit.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #33 on: 11 May 2017, 02:26:18 »
[[Posted by Liam's Ghost, 08-05-2007, 09:00:53]]

There were few things that Colonel Tanzarian truly hated more than idleness. He had little patience for sitting still, for being inactive. Even less for reflecting on the past, but at the moment he couldn't do much but think about the past. About that tiny little ship and how long he'd struggled to help bring it into existance.

It felt... odd. Unplesant. He'd been barely nineteen when the fighting had started on Port Sur, on his way to his long dreamed of posting at Heaven's Gate when the coup had been launched. Fighting between those loyal to the Blake family and those loyal to the civilian government spread from the capital to the surrounding countryside like wildfire, spiraling out of control until Terrans, outsiders calling themselves the Word of Blake arrived and pledged their assistance to the civilian government, for a while, at least, until the Word managed to set itself up as the master and the democracy it had claimed to want to preserve became nothing but a puppet. Their campaigns against the rebels were brutal, merciless, costing the lives of nearly two million civilians, a quarter of Port Sur's population. But it had seemed so distant from Heaven's Gate. So unreal viewed from the depths of space, until the Word turned their attention to them.

Colonel Tanzarian could still remember every detail of every battle waged over Heaven's Gate, and every battle that took place beyond that. He remembered the crippling of the Triumphant and the destruction of the Greyscuttle. He remembered the Arcadia's arrival and the return of Jeremiah Blake. He remembered watching from the bridge of the Arcadia as ships of the Word of Blake finally destroyed Heaven's Gate with nuclear weapons.

He remembered the long march back to Port Sur. He remembered Jeremiah Blake giving the order to turn the guns of the Arcadia against the planet to ensure the last of the Word cancer had been cut out. He even remembered the Arcadia's captain, grinning with insane anticipation, watching the devastation he was unleashing against his own homeworld to destroy the last few Word holdouts, saying only seven words, seven words spoken by the invaders hundreds of times as a blessing, now a curse suitable for the wrath of Jeremiah Blake. "The peace of Blake be with you."

Nobody on Port Sur ever refered to the Word of Blake by its full name. It was always simply called the Word, or the Invaders, or the Terrans. Somehow, though, Colonel Tanzarian could never forget that name, and somehow he could never forget how right it seemed, how close the two sides had been in the end.

Instead, he'd concentrated on his work, trying to rebuild what had been lost. The Keima was his achievement, the final legacy of better days and the hope that the dark days were behind them.

He did not want to give that up.

Quote from: Axeman89, 08-05-2007, 10:12:56
MOVING ON, the Blakists fought the descendants of their founders' family?

Quote from: Liam's Ghost, 08-05-2007, 10:18:26
Nope. The Blake family of Port Sur are the descendants of a post Reunification War era pirate. The name is a coincidence that both the Word of Blake and Jeremiah Blake found rather anoying.  :)

Quote from: Euphonium, 08-05-2007, 10:21:51
I guess you could get into a lot of trouble wearing an "I'm with Blake" t-shirt then!

Probably get [shot] by both sides

Quote from: Axeman89, 08-05-2007, 10:36:26
:D
I just assumed that the pirate was a cousin or brother of Blake, but Blake isn't a very rare name because Blake the Pirate was connected to the warship that Comstar and the WoB both eagerly wanted to find.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #34 on: 11 May 2017, 02:28:21 »
[[Posted by Giovanni Blasini, 08-05-2007, 21:07:37]]

SLS John Morgan

Tamiya turned once again to Professor Danaban. "Is it possible?"

The professor seemed to have lost his self assurance for the moment. "I've travelled all over the Periphery and the Inner Sphere. I've seen some marvelous, strange, and truly screwed up things. I don't know. If these guys are what they say they are, and we aren't about to have a 'pay no attention to the man behind the curtain' moment... God! I don't know!"

Tamiya could see the agitation, but he couldn't understand why.

"The children claim this is the next stage of human evolution," the sensor officer chimed in. "The transition from man to machine, the abandonment of the material..."

"The children say a lot of things," Professor Danaban snapped. "That doesn't mean anything. How about it, Mr. John Morgan? Is this God or is it memorex?"

John pondered the Professor's question a moment before replying.  {"Godly or Memorex, huh?  That's.....a weird way of putting it, since I've got no idea what the heck Memorex is, but I think I see where you're going.  Am I really real, or just a really good copy of who I was?  Why do you think I mentioned Descartes?"}

Professor Danaban nodded.  "So, you do have your doubts, then?"

{"Of course I do!  Who the hell wouldn't?!"}  John exhaled sharply, not intending it to be heard by his guests, but forgetting to cut the transmission as he did so.  The mix of confusion, sadness, and stress was clear.  {"Look, I'm sorry.  It's just...yeah, I have my doubts.  How could I not?  And, damn, this is a hell of a way to carry on a conversation....oh, wait, I've got an idea!  Give me a minute...."}

John sent a quick message to his chief NCO Tachikoma, Oh-Seven-Two.  ["Michael, I need you to grab a couple of flight helmets.  Bring them to the Professor and Captain once you've got 'em.  I've got to place a call to Sybil."]

["Will do, Skipper.  What do you have in mind?"]

["Getting her help to tie them into the VR net."]  John pulled himself back a bit from the immersive connection with his ship, instead going for a virtual "bridge" he could control things from.  He quickly keyed up a message to Sybil, and did a burst transmission with his HPG, sending her his request.  It didn't take him long to get a response.

Very clever idea, John.  No, it wasn't difficult at all - it's just a modification of the code I used to use to route sensor data to your helmet.  Just load this code, select the wireless codes from the helmets in question, and you'll be visible to them.  It's not ideal, but I'll see if I can come up with something better later.

Love,

Sybil

John loaded the new software to the computer's mainframe, and sent another call to his Michael.  ["Can you give me the wireless codes from those helmets?"]  Michael transmitted both codes, John loaded them into the software app's list, and everything was set.

{"OK, my chief NCO, TKM-072, should be back here in just a second.  By the way, he goes by Michael."}

Almost on cue, the Tachikoma maneuvered himself back into the room, planting himself in front of their two "guests".  "Two pilot's helmets.  Here you go!"

Both foreigners looked at the helmets.  Tamiya looked around uselessly before speaking.  "Um, Captain Morgan..."

{"John's fine, and that's why I'm doing this - you have no idea where to look, we can't talk privately at all....it's damned hard to interact this way.  Go ahead and put them on."}

The Professor and Captain Tamiya nodded, slipping the two helmets on.  Instantly, the HUD system came to life, projecting a ghostly image onto their eyes, while the earpieces crackled to life.  In front of the two of them, leaning against the bulkhead, was a man in his late thirties to early forties, wearing the duty uniform of an SLDF Navy captain.  His brownish hair was a bit longer than regulation length, and the slight smile on his face, and his blue eyes, carried a definite look of amusement.  On the other hand, the fact that he was almost completely transluscent kind of spoiled the realism of the affect, but it was the best he could do under the circumstances.

"Well, this is a lot better, isn't it?  We're using a modified version of some software Sybil used to use to route sensor data to the HUD of a helmet just like those for me during battle.  She said it was a very easy mod, and I'm just going to take her at her word: I'm a fighter, not a coder.  Anyway, it's routing my voice to your headsets, my image to your HUDs, and your mikes to me, and as long as the batteries last, which should be long enough for us to get clear of the Keima and jump.  Plus, hey, transparent faceplate."

Tamiya, trying to get over his surprise, simply nodded.  "How far do you intend to get, anyway?"

John shrugged.  "Experimental liquid core drive?  Who the hell knows?  I'm going to err on the side of caution, though, and once we get everyone situated and comfy, I'm going to do a four-hour burn at 1G and put a million kliks between us and your ship.  I really don't want to take the chance that our next jump will make it worse, and while I don't have much in the way of provisions, I should have enough long-term, 'good-till-Sol-goes-red-giant' SLDF emergency rations stored aboard to last everyone until then.  Of course, I was always tempted to try the packaging on 'em to see if it tasted any better than the food, but could never quite work up the courage.  Anyway, Professor, back to your question.  Can I tell you a little story?"

Danaban simply nodded, still taking in everything he could in terms of John's mannerisms, body language, and everything else.

"Good.  Well, shortly after I....died, was changed, whatever you'd like to call it, I was wondering the same thing.  And I don't mean like the little nagging doubts that creep up every now and then.  I mean, when I stopped to think about it, I almost couldn't function at times.  My wife had me watch an old sci-fi show."  John saw the confusion on both mens' faces.  "Trust me, it made a lot of sense."

"Anyway, this program ran at the tail end of the TwenCen, and the beginning of the Twenty-First.  In one episode, the protagonist, a contemporary human thrown to the other side of the galaxy, stuck on a ship full of different aliens, ended up getting copied.  I don't mean that they cloned him, by the way, I mean an exact copy.  Both had the exact same DNA, and it matched an earlier sample from before it happened exactly.  They had the same memories, the same scars....hell, when they played 'rock, paper, scissors', they chose the same thing every single time.  Near as they could tell, they were the same down to the quantum level where Einstein said, 'Oh, hell no!' and Heisenberg said, 'Who knows?  Who cares?'  The guy who did it to the protagonist claimed they were both the original and both the copy.  They were pretty much impossible to distinguish."

Danaban nodded.  "That would be difficult.  How'd they distinguish between each other in the end?"

"Oh, one went and got himself killed doing something heroic a few episodes later - believe me, that struck me as familiar.  Hell, not only was his name John, too, but we even look a little alike.  Anyway, during the time they were both around, though, they built up different experiences from one another, especially after circumstances put the two on different ships for a while.  So, which one was the original?  Which was the copy?  Which one had a soul, Professor?"

Quote from: shadrachvs, 09-05-2007, 02:09:33
Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 08-05-2007, 21:07:37
"Oh, one went and got himself killed doing something heroic a few episodes later - believe me, that struck me as familiar.  Hell, not only was his name John, too, but we even look a little alike.  Anyway, during the time they were both around, though, they built up different experiences from one another, especially after circumstances put the two on different ships for a while.  So, which one was the original?  Which was the copy?  Which one had a soul, Professor?"
Ok, now I have a mental Image of John Morgan in my head... suprisingly nice to have... still can't help sliding to anime for Sybil, Noriko, and Tabby...
And there is the question that will echo down the ages...

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #35 on: 11 May 2017, 02:29:14 »
[[Posted by Liam's Ghost, 09-05-2007, 03:37:33]]

Professor Danaban smiled for a moment, before another wave of pain shot through his arm and nearly drove him to his knees.

"Now... ysee..." he said between gasps, "...this is... the problem is... this is... exactly what I want... to... to hear." The pain seemed to subside, and the proffessor took a few deep breaths before continuing. "Human doubt so clearly expressed. I'm looking forward to meeting your admiral and your wife."

Tamiya had more present concerns on his mind. "Captain... John. He requires medical attention. If you could..."

"Don't even think of it!" Danaban snapped. "You're not knocking me out or dulling my senses now. Not this close, and not until I can talk to the rest of them."

Quote from: chanman, 09-05-2007, 04:49:07
Reminds me of the ending of Rama Revealed  :'(

Quote from: Headshot, 09-05-2007, 05:17:04
You aren't setting up the good prof for another "transfer", aren't you? 8)

Quote from: Liam's Ghost, 09-05-2007, 05:19:10
I am certain I don't know what you're talking about.  :)

Quote from: Worktroll, 09-05-2007, 12:11:42
Quote from: chanman, 09-05-2007, 04:49:07
Reminds me of the ending of Rama Revealed  :'(
Wash your mouth out for even mentioning that travesty in the same thread as Liam's story! ;)

Quote from: Axeman89, 09-05-2007, 13:19:28
Rama was the only thing with Clarke's name on it which I didn't like.
I couldn't even stand it.

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 09-05-2007, 13:44:35
Never read [the] Rama series.  What was the problem?

Quote from: Axeman89, 09-05-2007, 13:52:08
They weren't written by Clarke.
Well, the first one was, and I think that it was the one that I read, but I was disappointed. And bored.
It was very slow, but that's about all that I can remember.

Gentry admits it here: http://www.scifi.com/transcripts/aclarke.txt
(I like this quote: "Moderator: <Shawn> to <Moderator>: Mr. Clarke: How do you plan to
celebrate, or mark the turn of the millenia?"

Arthur: By being alive.")

Quote from: Worktroll, 09-05-2007, 14:47:44
The first book, Rendevous with Rama, is a must-read. Clarke describes the unkown superbly, in his rational style, but doesn't try to explain it. It's like walking through a museum at night, full of mystery and awe. If I was a billionaire, I'd fund a movie based on that book first, then a Battletech movie, I like it that much.

The sequels - well, Gentry Lee is probably a very good engineer. The ultimate "explanation" for Rama is so mundane by comparison ... and written with such leaden pace.

Quote from: chanman, 09-05-2007, 15:01:16
Eh, I liked them, but they were definitely completely different stories.

Rendezvous with Rama, Rama is *the* star of the show, the humans are just passing by (kinda like with the PC game from what I understand as well).

In the following books with Gentry Lee, the *people* are the focus of the story, and Rama is the backdrop/setting.  Completely different focus and subject matter, connected by mysterious giant spacecraft.

Quote from: Worktroll, 09-05-2007, 14:47:44
The first book, Rendevous with Rama, is a must-read. Clarke describes the unkown superbly, in his rational style, but doesn't try to explain it. It's like walking through a museum at night, full of mystery and awe. If I was a billionaire, I'd fund a movie based on that book first, then a Battletech movie, I like it that much.

The sequels - well, Gentry Lee is probably a very good engineer. The ultimate "explanation" for Rama is so mundane by comparison ... and written with such leaden pace.
W.

Well, it was the first sci-fi series I'd read with that premise, so it was fresh for me, everyone has a first time, eh?  Wink

That said, even cliched or well-run premises can still work if done right, but then it becomes more of a technical than innovative exercise.

Quote from: Hanekem, 09-05-2007, 15:04:58
Wholeheartedly agree with [Worktroll], though not so much on a BT movie... I'd have to say I'd go with them Bolos first (what can I say? I love those behemoths).

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #36 on: 11 May 2017, 02:30:17 »
[[Posted by Cannonshop, 09-05-2007, 23:31:18]]

Discontinuity-

"...facility is not, I repeat, NOT what Intel said it was..."

The images showed a mass that her vid filters sorted out in an instant.  [increase resolution, thermal band, begin isolating chemical signatures by eliminating emissions common to necrotic ketones...]

There were hundereds of them crowded in there. many were no longer alive.

"Biohazard." Tabby announced, "These people are all sick-with the same disease."  The Medical files database showed elevated body-temperatures, chemical analysis from the Remotes showed that they'd been perspiring for days-and the sweat, even the sweat-vapour, contained proteins that strongly resembled viruses.  "All Human personnel remain fully suited and contained.  Intel wasn't wrong-this is a weapons-lab.  These people are the experiments...and I don't know enough to do anything to help them."

The decision had to be made, Tabby sounded the "Clear out" alarms in the strike team's com-systems.

It was the only moral choice...

a pause

Discontinuity

Reality re-asserted itself.  Tabby checked sensors first-and the Kiema was just outside of her own emergence zone.

["Tabby! I thought you were going to Walk it in!"]  Admiral Murakami's transmission broke her thoughts.

"I was...I...guess I changed my mind."  Tabby replied-unconsciously using the human-spec communications on her 'bridge' and her primary remote.  "I think I need a diagnostic."

There was a pause.  ["How many weeks has it been since you took a down-time?"] Murakami asked.

"I don't want to talk about that." Tabby snapped.

Quote from: Notsonoble, 10-05-2007, 00:12:44
huh oh...

Quote from: Direwolf007, 10-05-2007, 00:34:58
I always knew I did not want to live forever, but now I know why.

Live for several centuries, see several centruries of wars.

Poor Tabby.

Quote from: Axeman89, 10-05-2007, 10:07:02
Quote from: Direwolf007, 10-05-2007, 00:34:58
I always knew I did not want to live forever, but now I know why.
I'd end up in lava, or at the bottom of the ocean, or floating in space, or stuck to some planetary core, or floating around a stellar core.  :p
And I'd also be insane.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #37 on: 11 May 2017, 02:31:01 »
[[Posted by Liam's Ghost, 18-05-2007, 20:48:27]]

John frowned for a second, but before he could call Professor Danaban on his illness, he'd seen Tabby jump out.

"Oh, what the...hold on, gentlemen."

["Sybil, John.  What the hell's going on with Tabby?  She just freakin' jumped out!"]

["It's not looking good, John.  We're going to run a diagnostic on her, but she hasn't gone into a sleep cycle for an extended period - I'm not sure how long yet."]

["Damn.  Damn damn damn!  OK, I'll cover for her.  Are the Tachikomas going to be able to handle taking the ship in themselves, or am I going to have to follow it in?"]

["They should be able to handle it.  The ship's basically on autopilot at this point, but I'm sendin them updated orders via RF.  Get back as soon a you can, though, dear.."]

Captain Tamiya was visibly worried.  "What's wrong?"

John's "ghost" shook his head.  "Nothing.  Tabby had to jump back to the yard, but it's nothing to worry about.  The Tachikomas will be able to take the Keima in, though.  Don't worry, Captain, she's in good...er, claws?"  Turning to face the professer, he asked, "Professor Danaban, I've got two questions for you.  First, in your opinion, is a million klicks complete overkill on my part?  Second, what is your medical condition?  We'd like to help, and the sooner we find out, the more we'll be able to do."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #38 on: 11 May 2017, 02:31:53 »
[[Posted by Cannonshop, 20-05-2007, 22:28:03]]

Yard 83, Slip Two...

Tabby 'safed' her weapons systems by having her Tachikomae disconnect the physical firing linkages, and physically remove ammunition from the gun systems and missiles.

["Mom, I'm home."] She sent over the com-channel through the physical umbilical service conduit-along with the correct identifier codes that would open the direct link to the station's maintenance circuit.

BITE (Built In Test Equipment) data immediately flowed through, along with downloads of both her central-core data, and the DAT tapes from the separate monitor system on the 'manual' circuit.

["Tabby, can you go into 'sleep mode' now? it looks like you've got some damaged subsystems...at least, if the BITE is telling the truth." ]  Noriko Murakami's voice came through the link.

["Uh, yeah...about that-I had the Tachis' disconnect the main-drive controller and the weapons systems-I don't want a nightmare sending weapons-fire through the only repair yard in the Inner Sphere that isn't either a slagged heap, or in hostile hands, and I don't want to 'sleepwalk.' again."]

There was a twenty-nanosecond delay on the channel.  ["We'll have to talk about that."] the Admiral sent.

Quote from: cawest, 20-05-2007, 23:49:12
sleep walking warship... man i don't weather to laugh or find a bunkers some where  :D

Quote from: Notsonoble, 21-05-2007, 23:46:05
Quote from: Euphonium, 21-05-2007, 03:46:49
I like a person who is smart enough to disarm themselves when worried about nigtmares.   I never got over the [LARP] were we had to gag one of the mages at night because he muttered the casting vocals for Fireball in his sleep....... :D
oh wow... glad i'm not a caster in RL, I tend to dream about weird combats...

Quote from: shadrachvs, 22-05-2007, 00:10:13
I can vividly remember a gamer friend of mine, one of the first times I was awake in a room when he was passed out... he was planning game tactics, out-loud, in his sleep... would have been cool if it was not a mix of MageKnight, Vampire the Masquerade, and Magic the Gathering (could have been D&D there)...

Quote from: Notsonoble, 22-05-2007, 02:15:59
Quote from: shadrachvs, 22-05-2007, 00:10:13
I can vividly remember a gamer friend of mine, one of the first times I was awake in a room when he was passed out... he was planning game tactics, out-loud, in his sleep... would have been cool if it was not a mix of MageKnight, Vampire the Masquerade, and Magic the Gathering (could have been D&D there)...
how long did you listen to it before you realized it was capable of driving you mad

Quote from: Euphonium, 22-05-2007, 03:20:12
Quote from: Notsonoble, 21-05-2007, 23:46:05
oh wow... glad i'm not a caster in RL, I tend to dream about weird combats...
Well the refs overheard it, and quietly rolled a lit thunderflash under the door......

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #39 on: 11 May 2017, 02:33:55 »
[[Posted by Liam's Ghost, 22-05-2007, 08:07:31]]

-aproximately thirty hours and sixty light years away-

"Are you still moping?"

The woman known as Kyoko looked up from her breakfast, untouched, though it might be ridiculous for her to claim she had no apetite. Somehow she didn't feel much like playing along today.

The teacher's lounge wasn't particularly crowded this morning, with only three of Asahikawa's most senior (and infamous) professors gathered for breakfast, a tradition among them that went back to before the 37th Year War.

"Willie's a grown man," Professor Watters pointed out from his place across the table. "He knows what he's doing, and his condition isn't so serious we need to worry yet."

He spoke in English, which was understandable. It was his native tongue, and even the years he'd spent here couldn't erase that. He'd say he was too old a dog for that.

Kyoko didn't answer him.

"She's probably just still upset about the fight they had," Professor Omura suggested, not bothering to look up from the papers she was grading.

"What? Is she still brooding over him being a stubborn jackass? They'd been seeing each other for how long and she couldn't figure that out?"

Professor Omura shrugged. "I think she's just feeling guilty over the whole thing."

Kyoko had finally heard enough. "Could we please not talk about my personal life?"

Professor Watters acted as though he were confused. "Whose personal life are we supposed to talk about?"

"How about nobody's?" Kyoko snapped. "God! Can't we get through a single morning without you two gossiping?"

"If it bothers you," Professor Watters said, "why do you come down to breakfast? It's not like you have to eat. Professor Omura is a grandmother. I'm a retired spy whose life and career were built around rumours and whispers. We gossip."

"Not about me, okay?"

"Who else are we going to talk about?" Professor Omura asked.

"Just something else!"

Professor Watters and Professor Omura went silent for a moment. Watters was the one who finally spoke, turning his attention to his younger collegue.

"So... professor, how is your son doing?"

Kyoko shot to her feet and started to stomp away.

"Hey," Professor Watters called after her. She almost didn't stop.

"What?"

"He'll be okay."

She felt tears come to her eyes. Oh god why? Why did I do that? Why did I ever think I might want to cry? She forced it away with a thought, but the rest wasn't so easy to purge.

"No," she said, "he won't. No matter what you say or what I do he won't be okay. He's dying, every single one of you is dying and I can't do anything about it... You all grow old or get sick or go off and kill yourselves and each other and I can't stop any of it! All I can do is just watch as you die one after the other and pretend like it isn't going to happen this time and... and let myself..."

She just wanted to shove it all away, to sever herself and retreat to her own world away from all of them, but she held herself back. Instead she pushed away that part of her that showed her pain, as easily as she stopped the crying. "You don't understand," she said, almost monotone. "You can't understand."

Professor Watters got up from his chair. His look was almost... angry. "Knock it off," he said. "Don't think that just because you've lived longer than us or that you never forget anything means your suffering is somehow beyond our understanding. I happen to be an expert at guilt and pain, my lady. Don't tell me I don't understand."

She still showed no emotion, her voice was still stripped of any life. "But I can't do anything for him."

"No," Professor Watters agreed. "You can't. I can't either, no matter how much I owe him for the things I've done, for what happened to Jac. Nobody can. You were right. He is dying. In a few more years I'll be gone too, thank God. Professor Omura will one day see her husband again, and in time everybody else will start feeding worms. Every human in the universe is dying, some of us choose not to realize it, and none of us can change it. We do what we can while we can, and then it's up to the survivors to figure out what to do next."

His expression softened a bit. "That's the reality of it. The cold hard truth of human existance. Willie knew it... knows it, better than any of us. You know what he'd want you to do."

Still, she wouldn't show any emotion. "I don't know if I can go through it again."

"Then let it go. You can do that. Personally, I'd kill to give myself Alzheimers."

"I can't do that." She wouldn't. She wouldn't give up her memories of him.

"Then keep going."

She was about to scream at him, to yell and scream that she couldn't keep going if she lost Willie, but she was stopped by a signal from her other self, the one deep in the void. Her other self had recieved a transmission, one that had traveled sixty light years, and sent it to her imediately. It was... Oh gods...

Her other self had added barely a line of comunication at the end. A line that was almost superfluous. Her and her other self were the same, they felt the same and would act the same. They both knew what she would do.

I'm going now. Get them to send help.

"Please no." The words had escaped her lips before she even realized it. She couldn't... she... "Gods, Willie, no..."

"Chobi," Professor Watters said, using a name not more than a handful on this world knew. "What's wrong?"

Quote from: Liam's Ghost, 23-05-2007, 02:20:54
Quote from: cawest, 23-05-2007, 01:02:16
okay Kyoko  and her other (ship) self?  i'm lost... please more info.. looking forward to more
Patience. All shall be revealed in time.  :D

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #40 on: 11 May 2017, 02:35:45 »
[[Posted by Cannonshop, 18-06-2007, 18:57:46]]

Yard 83...

Noriko Murakami's avatar moved through the non-space of her creation's mental structure.

There was something decidedly wrong...

For one thing, instead of the ship's-eye view of space, the whole place was bluish, and rippled like the interior of a vast ocean.

The imagery was wrong.  She knew it-she'd designed the systems, and Knew what a Caspar-processor's sleep-mode looked like...after all, I've been in here before...

This wasn't it.

A shadow loomed ahead.  it was vast...

It was black, and white, and a shape that Noriko knew well from theme-parks on Earth, Native American mythos, and Dr. Hannigan's office.

The killer-whale was immense-bigger than any living creature on earth...and she knew it was Tabby.

Tabby's whale-form wasn't asleep.

["Doctor."] the illusion of sound shook her digital-avatar.  ["I hear them calling, can you?"]

She reached out, and touched the surface..."Tabby? you-" and then, Noriko heard them sing.

["I want to swim with them...but they're gone."] The Tabiranth/Whale said, ["Swim in the silent places/deep and unburdened/no more pain/free to play/with the lost ones."]

It wasn't really speech, or a clear datarecord, it echoed over the link.

"You're not alone, Tabby." Noriko said.

["Swim with my sisters/my family is gone/all alone."]  the huge form insisted, ["All alone and left behind/sadness, loneliness."]

subsystems indicated that there shouldn't be this much activity-in fact, there wasn't enough voltage from Tabby's memory to power this strong an illusion.

But it was powered-from somewhere.

Quote from: shadrachvs, 19-06-2007, 19:10:28
Noo... Asimov coming back to haunt... gah... he gets around as much as Clarke

Quote from: Jimmyray73, 20-06-2007, 03:47:20
Androids may or may not dream of electric sheep, but apparently Caspars dream of electric whales...

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 20-06-2007, 03:58:13
Yup.  In "Knock, Nock", Tabby's dreams are chock full o' metaphors comparing her and her fellow Caspars to Orcas, which is how they viewed themselves.

Quote from: roastpuff, 21-06-2007, 05:16:57
Doooooooessss sheeeeee speeeeeeaaaak whaaaaaaaale?

Quote from: Weirdo, 21-06-2007, 05:25:08
Worse. These whales speak in modem. If they're cranky, they speak NAC.

Quote from: Nerd, 21-06-2007, 07:28:22
I would not want to be around that pod!

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #41 on: 11 May 2017, 02:36:49 »
[[Posted by Giovanni Blasini, 21-06-2007, 10:19:14]]

Yard 83, aboard the SLS Sybil Ludington

Sybil was carefully monitoring her new "guests", who'd been transfered from her husband's ships to the Sybil Ludington's more accomodating accomodations, when the call came in.  [Sybil, get over here now!]

Noting the sender, Sybil transferred a virtual avatar of herself to Admiral Murakami's location, and immediately noted her consternation.  "Is something wrong?"

"Hell yes there's something wrong!"  Noriko Murakami was gesturing wildly, pointing at.....nothing.  "I'd call that 'something wrong', wouldn't you?"

Sybil frowned.  "Is there something wrong with the bulkhead?"

Aghast, Noriko flung her arms up in frustration.  "Not the bulkhead, damn it!  You don't see that?  Can't you hear it?"

"I....see a bulkhead.  Mother, what's going on?"  Worried, Sybil examined the datastreams for the audio and visual pickups for the room, and found nothing unusual.  She immediately shifted into examing the datastreams for Noriko's brain emulation, to see if she was getting anomalous auditory or visual data.

The Admiral's consternation just seemed to be growing "Tabby!  She's the whale, Sybil."  Sybil stood there, looking confused.  "The Orca the size of a Lola III, singing along with that song, the one that's like poetry..." Noriko froze. "You really don't see it, do you?"

"No, I don't.  I'm not detecting anomalous input to your core software, either.  However, Tabby likened herself and her fellow M-5s to being akin to the Orca, and I've heard her poetry before, but I'm not seeing anything unusual in her sleep cycle..."

Murakami nodded.  "Neither am I, which is what's got me so concerned.  When she was going borderline crazy because of Maggie's influence, the E-series code, and the side effects of the virus she wrote, we could see the effects on both hardware and software, along with seeing the....'hallucinations' or 'dream state', I suppose, would be the best way to describe it.  That's not here now, and now I'm seeing it, but you're not.  What the hell's going on?

"I'm not at all sure.  The Orca motif and song-like poetry isn't unusual for her, though - she's expressed it before.  Evidently, it was a common metaphor the M-5s used to describe themselves."  Sybil's own mood was starting to drop dramatically.  The Orca issue, and the differences between Sybil and her fellow M-5s, had come up before, and not in a positive way: it was another thing that Sybil always felt set her apart from her older sister and the other Caspars, and not in a positive manner.  Now, it seemed it might be setting her even farther apart, not only from Tabby, but from the Admiral....and maybe even her husband.  "One moment.  I think we should get another opinion..."  ["John, it's Sybil.  Please patch a virtual avatar in to my location.  Something's....not right here."]

["On my way.  Wait a second...."]  Moments later, John materialized in the same room aboard Yard 83 as Sybil and the Admiral.  He looked around, calmly, until suddenly, facing the same direction Noriko had been looking, just stood, his mouth agape for several moments, before uttering, "Holy shit!  What the hell's THAT?!?!?!?"

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 21-06-2007, 10:25:05
Quote from: JediBear, 21-06-2007, 10:22:41
That's odd. What's going on, and why can't Sybil see it?
Three of these things belong together
Three of these things are kind of the same
But one of these things is not like the others...
Now it's time to play our game....

Quote from: JediBear, 21-06-2007, 10:27:27
Hm.

Sybil doesn't dream, does she?

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 21-06-2007, 10:33:10
Sybil describes her synchronization and file integrity checks between multiple servers as being akin to "meditation", but, no.  She doesn't dream, she doesn't sleep...

Also, to quote "Knock, Nock":

["The more I analyze it, Tabby, the more I actually think about it, the more I have to disagree. You and I are both the brainchildren of Noriko Murakami - she shaped who we are, how we think, and how respond to the universe. But besides the obvious physical differences between our two classes, we don't think the same way, Tabby. My intelligence works essentially the same was as Unit 007 there, just on a bigger, faster scale. I'm programmed to seem like I'm human, and I've evolved a great deal in my lifetime, to the point I no longer simply emulate emotional states, but actually feel them. But I'm not human, Tabby. Mother may be an AI now, but look at how she works - she's a brain emulation. They may be virtual, but she still has neurons, and synapeses, and she has simulated endorphins, and dopamine and, thanks to sophisticated programming, she has simulated nerve endings that provide her with a sense of touch, and taste, and hearing, and vision. She still feels human because, once you peek underneath the hood, she still functions like one."]

["And M-5s, such as myself?"]

["You're the hybrids. Elements of your neural net were copied from the synapses of an SLDF admiral. However, you're set up, like me, to be able to simulate the universe. Within a few decades, your kind developed the level of sapience humans develop in a mere ten to fifteen years. It's taken me nearly three centuries to reach a comparable level of sapience. WIth your extra main core, you'll prove quicker and more capable than your sisters when we reawaken them, and you'll certainly have more experience to fall back on, but they'll still process information the same way. In the end, like you, they'll still think more like them than I do. So while they're certainly related, they're not my sisters. Cousins, perhaps, but not sisters."]

There's still more going on here than that, though, but those are hints to point you in the right direction.

Quote from: roastpuff, 21-06-2007, 10:34:12
Quote from: JediBear, 21-06-2007, 10:27:27
Hm.

Sybil doesn't dream, does she?
From what I've seen of the comparison of the mental processes of Tabby and Sybil, no, Sybil doesn't dream. She doesn't need to do "sleep cycles" like the Caspars - and I assume Noriko and John are more like the Caspars due to the brain scan tech - and therefore has no opportunity to dream, or be attuned to other people's dreams.

Poor Sybil. Maybe she and John can spend "extra time" together to boost her self-confidence. They're still *relatively* newlyweds, right? Or does that even work with a pair of virtual avatars?

Quote from: kindalas, 21-06-2007, 10:38:36
Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 21-06-2007, 10:25:05
Three of these things belong together
Three of these things are kind of the same
But one of these things is not like the others...
Now it's time to play our game....

I'd imagine that it is because the Sybil was built through programing and programing alone. While Tabby and the corresponding Caspar drones were based on a person's brain scan that had additional programming added to it.

John and the Admiral are also based on a brain scan without the extra programing.

Therefore Sybil is different because there were no shortcuts taken with her when her AI programming was developed. Tabby, John and the Admiral deep down inside are human.

Unless I am 100% wrong.

Quote from: kindalas, 21-06-2007, 13:38:46
Quote from: Worktroll, 21-06-2007, 11:06:47
Therefore, Sybil lacks a subconcious mind? Interesting ... no ID monsters for her. OTOH, keep Tabby away from the Forbidden Planet ...
Bingo

Sybil is alien.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #42 on: 11 May 2017, 02:37:58 »
[[Posted by Cannonshop, 17-07-2007, 21:59:03]]

Hour 19...

Tabby's dream changed, and she wasn't swimming anymore.  All are gone.  the pebbles ground under her belly with a million billion teeth. It was hard to breathe, and the sun was merciless on her skin.

Beached.  she let out a mournful cry.

In the 'real' world...

Noriko watched Tabiranth's nightmare begin-the waters were gone, leaving a dry desert behind.  The form hadn't changed to match its new environment.

In History, a real whale in this predicament would be dead in a matter of hours, and Noriko knew from her own studies, that this was, in fact, how the last generation of wild ceteceans ended-they beached themselves, driven mad by some kind of external stimulus.  The ones in the parks held on for a few years, but failed to breed. efforts to clone the lost species in the 28th Century were largely responsible for the development of the Iron Womb...

Tabby couldn't know about that...  Noriko thought, Could she?  the "Dataprocessor" side of her seemed to think it was a distinct possibility-Tabby monitored frequencies, including Radio and television signals, for centuries-and the mystery of the Whale Suicide was a scandal, before McKenna's coup drove it from the airwaves.  At light-speed, between star systems, Tabby might well have listened to the original broadcasts, centuries after they were haphazardly hurled into space as noise.

"She's beached herself." John said, Noriko hadn't noticed his returning logon.

"Yep." Noriko replied.

"This can't be good." John added.

"Nope. Not good.  I take it she's not just idling into the dummy-loads, is she?" Noriko asked.

"Nope.  I think, if someone had their antennas pointed right, they'd have heard her.  Not sure if they'd understand it, but hear it, sure." John said, "That's not good for security."

"Nope." Noriko agreed, "I'm tasking the Tachis on the repair dock to disconnect her RF transcievers-she can still communicate land-line, but no more sleep-talking...How's Sybil taking this?"

"I'm not sure.  She's worried as all get-out about it, especially since she can't Percieve anything but Tabby's physical actions." John said, "and those are...alarming."

"No doubt.  How are our guests doing?" Noriko asked.

"Well...the natives are getting restless?  Professor Danaban has been refusing medication, the Colonel from 'Port Sur' is starting to make demands.  The captain of the Keima is being reasonably stoic.  I think he expects backup to arrive, and soon."

"I wonder if any of them is a psychologist?" Noriko asked, "Tabby's subconscious imagery doesn't make any kind of rational sense."

Quote from: Nikas_Zekeval, 18-07-2007, 18:18:32
Quote from: SqurielLord, 18-07-2007, 03:59:29
Why not try to 'unbeach' Tabby/the whale?  I think that that's worked in real life (wait for high tide, put whale in a sling, use a boat to pull back out to the water.)
Kinda hard to unbeach her when the nightmare not only has no tide, but no ocean.

Quote from: Worktroll, 18-07-2007, 18:43:21
The beach is a metaphor created by a complex electronic program modelling an intellect. I can think of at least two ways ...

1) There are some more complex electronic programs modelling intellects to hand. Connect up and attempt a mind-meld of sorts.

2) Electro-shock therapy for AIs. A few thousand volts in the right place might make all the difference; it's said part of being mentally ill is the habit of thinking in particular way, and a short sharp shock might just do the trick.

Oh, a third way:

3) Get someone expendable to talk loudly about performing #2, and then send said red-shirt to enter Tabby's core with a couple of taser guns. If that doesn't make her sit up and pay attention, proceed with plan 2.

Quote from: SqurielLord, 19-07-2007, 06:23:17
Quote from: Nikas_Zekeval, 18-07-2007, 18:18:32
Kinda hard to unbeach her when the nightmare not only has no tide, but no ocean.
:p
Quote from: Worktroll, 18-07-2007, 18:43:21
3) Get someone expendable to talk loudly about performing #2, and then send said red-shirt to enter Tabby's core with a couple of taser guns. If that doesn't make her sit up and pay attention, proceed with plan 2.
How many redshirts do we have currently? The crew of the liquid-core jumpship, that's about it.
Maybe the doctor could do it? I mean, he's going to die anyways, Tabby MIGHT not kill him, and he'd certainly know what hes doing.

Quote from: shadrachvs, 31-07-2007, 10:09:55
[...]
Hrm so an AI having nightmares about an identity/guilt issue... Oh joy!

I would imagine she will continue to have these episodes until she can 'face' whatever is truly the cause of them... which may be in a mental sense, or in a more physical sense (putting the issues over onto another issue she can combat, displacing I think it is called...)

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #43 on: 11 May 2017, 02:40:22 »
[[  The entitled "updates when, you lazy authors!?" crowd get the answer they bloody well deserve  ::) ]]

Quote from: <REDACTED>, 18-08-2007, 18:32:41
So has this died the same manner of death as it's predecessors, you get us hooked into it then just let it drop?  :'(

Quote from: Liam's Ghost, 18-08-2007, 19:50:19
Not to sound fatalistic or anything, but if it comes to that, then yeah. Sorry, the real world takes precedence. I'm by far not the primary writer of this work, but I can speak from some small amount of experience. In my case, my contributions are limited both to the time I have to work on them, and the ability to contribute something worthwhile. If on one of the handful of days I have free, I can't think of something good to contribute, I will not try to force it. I've done that before on a number of stories that I'd rather forget, and all it leads to is me hating whatever crap comes spewing out.

And I have plenty of stuff already filling me with hate, thank you.

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 19-08-2007, 12:25:02
Quote from: <REDACTED>, 18-08-2007, 18:32:41
So has this died the same manner of death as it's predecessors, you get us hooked into it then just let it drop?  :'(
Dude, I've basically just pulled two 60-hour weeks in a row.  That kind of cuts into writing time, you know?  Combine that with some difficulty in figuring out how I want to do my next part of it and, well, guess what - it's stalled.  It happens, especially when you have to comb through craploads of material on neurobiology, brain development, the "philosophy of the mind", theories on strong artificial intelligence, cognitive science.  I have to understand the current theories on sentience and sapience, and figure out how that relates to four different methods of getting there: purely biological human, the human "brain emulations", the "pure software" of Sybil and the Tachikomas, and the "hybrids" like Tabby.

And, when all's said and done, what am I faced with?  Science isn't sure.  Religions disagree with each other, sometimes disagreeing with science, other times, not so much.  That leaves me to try to figure out how I want to answer it for myself and, at the very least, Tabby and the Tachikomas.  So I have to come up with something scientifically plausible, yet internally consistent with what's written so far and what I've said so far.

Quote from: Liam's Ghost, 18-08-2007, 19:50:19
Not to sound fatalistic or anything, but if it comes to that, then yeah. Sorry, the real world takes precedence. I'm by far not the primary writer of this work, but I can speak from some small amount of experience. In my case, my contributions are limited both to the time I have to work on them, and the ability to contribute something worthwhile.
Thank you.  None of us write this for a living, which means that, when something has to be put on the back burner, the writing of fanfic ends up high on the list.  And, when you're busy with other stuff, your mind isn't on writing.  Hell, your frame of mind isn't right for writing, either.

Worse, the characters I write about are like separate individuals, and just like with real people, the longer you go between chatting to them, the harder it is to know what to say - they're not "speaking" to me as much, and I'm having a harder time finding their voices.

If on one of the handful of days I have free, I can't think of something good to contribute, I will not try to force it. I've done that before on a number of stories that I'd rather forget, and all it leads to is me hating whatever crap comes spewing out.
Exactly.  I think I've scrapped and rewritten stuff four or five times since I last posted here, 'cause it's simply not really said anything, which is why I spent so much of my free time lately doing research.  I think I might finally be on to something, but...

-- I'm supposed to be working on a VW engine right now
-- I'm supposed to be going to a birthday party for one of the guys in one of the VW clubs I'm in
-- I'm supposed to start the server maintenance at work in another three hours
-- I should be cleaning my place
-- I should be looking for a new air matress to replace the one that's leaking
-- I should be doing repair work on the OS for my own server, which has had to take the back burner for a couple months now

Sometimes it feels like I have 24 hours of stuff to do in a day, and that's before factoring in sleep.

And I have plenty of stuff already filling me with hate, thank you.
Right there with ya.  As Ashenwelt can attest to, I was on the ragged, bleeding edge of my sanity Tuesday, and really felt like I was both teetering on the edge of just snapping.  And, I'm very much a "Hulk SMASH!!!!" kind of guy when I lose my temper:  I've destroyed things like stereos, aquariums (threw the stereo into the aquarium - thank goodness there were no fish in it at the time), cell phones (thrown a few, chopped one in half with a sword), computers (I've thrown both laptops and desktops)....

Quote from: <REDACTED>, 19-08-2007, 14:06:04
Okay sorry I even asked.

Quote from: Gingiva, 19-08-2007, 14:11:20
chill guys, the man is right. real life takes precedence always. just like how my school load and patient load has literally eaten into my painting time; for the past 2 years i have yet to finish painting a single mini. to all the writers, do take the needed breaks. even tho some of us do get cranky while waiting, we'll still be here to read the fanfic, and honestly its one of the things that keeps me checking the boards twice a day.

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 19-08-2007, 15:52:23
Quote from: Failure16, 19-08-2007, 15:36:36
Well, the easiest way to avoid all this hubbub is to complete the work in question before it is posted initially...though that's a purely stylistic choice on the part of the writer and I suppose there is no absolute right and wrong.

In any case, it would avoid the fits and starts.
There's a flipside to that, of course:

• The readers are as busy as the writers, and reading short parts is often preferrable to longer ones.  Case in point: commentary I got on FanFiction.net indicates that people don't like reading more than 1500-2000 words at a time, at most.  So, to them, sections and snippets are preferrable for web-based reading.  And, that makes sense - not only are people busy, butreading text on a monitor is difficult when compared to reading it on paper.  There's much more eyestrain involved.
  • In theory, and this has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads, part of the goal of this is to get input from other people: is where I'm going with this story making sense, am I conveying what I'm trying to convey, etc.?
  • For a "complete" work, in some of these cases, the forums just don't work - take the incomplete "Knock, Nock", which is already over 75,000 words.  That's a crapload of posts, due to the word count limit in a single post.  Posting it as a file doesn't work too well, either, sincea PDF, WordPerfect, RTF or Word document exceeds the limit on file sizes for the forum.

Quote from: Failure16, 19-08-2007, 16:11:10
Well, Gio, no one ever said you couldn't serialize it into easily digestible parts...just have it all locked up before you set your initial post.  It's what I used to do when I posted my fiction here (not that I'm going to say I was wildly successful here, but the point still stands), and more than one person explicitly stated that they were impressed by the frequency of updates (I think two people said that, actually...).

And I can't bring myself to agree with your second point.  Every other thread devoted to the subject of feedback basically devolved into "I'm writing this for me and people don't really want feedback..." shenanigans.

I suppose it boils down to every individual's take on "professionalism" in an admittedly non-professional field (you know, since it's, well, Fan Fiction).  To me, a serial denotes something that it is updated semi-regularly, be that daily, weekly, monthly or whatever in between.  Kinda like CSO, for example, or first Tuesdays for movies and music albums.  It gives people something to look forward to that they can count on.

I am in no way saying the way that you all are doing things is even mildly incorrect, but I figured I'd stand up for the little guys.  I suppose it kind of rubbed me the wrong way that people would jump down someone's throat for asking a simple question--and imprinting your own views on others' words is a poor excuse if that's what happened.  It seems to me you are writing Fan Fiction.  If you are lucky enough to have fans that take the time to discuss your story without directly involving you (which means they care about the story), you could simply say "This story is on hold for a while ladies and gents while RL beats me senseless" or whatever.

Or you could rail against them because you had a bad week and didn't tell them about it.  It's all plus by me.

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 19-08-2007, 17:41:41
Quote from: Failure16, 19-08-2007, 16:11:10
Well, Gio, no one ever said you couldn't serialize it into easily digestible parts...just have it all locked up before you set your initial post.

Sure, tell ya what:  I'll talk to Liam and Cannonshop, and we'll hack out a schedule for this.

All right, people: expect to see the next part in the story of Sybil, Tabby, John, Murakami, et al, posted some time in 2009 or 2010, OK?

Quote from: Euphonium, 19-08-2007, 18:17:25
I'm happy to take these stories as and when the writers are able to extend them.
Do I miss them when they don't get updated? - Yes
Do I want the writers to be unhappy/stressed about them? - No

I fear that if no-one posted stories until they were complete, we'd lose 90% of them, so I'd sooner see partial works than see nothing

Besides, I enjoy the update style.   Speculating about what's really going on is part of the fun.

Just my £0.02 ($0.04 at current rates  :D)

Quote from: Jimmyray73, 19-08-2007, 18:19:10
Heh heh, take your time guys.  We appreciate what you've done.  Really, that's why people are clamoring for more, 'cause they like it.  Take that part as a compliment.  I don't want you guys to feel rushed and hopefully the others her will see that too.  I'm willing to wait for good fiction and I think most of us here will take the quality over quantity stance.  Please don't mind the occasional crankiness...

Quote from: Liam's Ghost, 19-08-2007, 18:43:20
Quote from: <REDACTED>, 19-08-2007, 14:06:04
Okay sorry I even asked.
Relax.  :) I for one am pleased that interest is sufficient to provoke people to ask. There's not really anything to be sorry about.

If I seem a bit blunt, well, that's because I am. It was an honest question, and it deserved an honest answer. There was no hostility in it, simply a statement of how things are. Sometimes how things are is how we'd rather things weren't.

Quote from: Failure16, 19-08-2007, 15:36:36
Well, the easiest way to avoid all this hubbub is to complete the work in question before it is posted initially...though that's a purely stylistic choice on the part of the writer and I suppose there is no absolute right and wrong.

In any case, it would avoid the fits and starts.
Nah, the fits and starts would still happen, just out of sight. But yeah, there are no absolutes in writing. What works best for the individual is what works best for the individual.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the hubbub. Like I said, it makes it clear that the exercise of posting is worthwhile. I have run into some who were downright hostile in their demands for what my story (and yeah, call it arrogant if you want, but it was my story) should be and when it should be delivered, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I've stomped on a few of them, but in none of my writing have I ever told anyone that there was somehow something wrong with speaking up. If someone were to wander into my Strangers in a Strange Land thread and list from top to bottom everything they found wrong with the story, I wouldn't get mad about it. I'd compare notes and see if they had missed anything, I'd answer questions that needed answering and give explanations where they were needed, but I wouldn't get mad about it.

(Unless it turned into a variation of "you suck 'cause you aren't portraying my favorite character/faction/fantasy sex object in a godly enough light", I didn't put up with it from the Shampoo fanboys, and I'm not going to from anyone else.)

And I can't bring myself to agree with your second point.  Every other thread devoted to the subject of feedback basically devolved into "I'm writing this for me and people don't really want feedback..." shenanigans.
Well... you know, a lot of people who write really do write for themselves. Call me selfish if you like, but the things I write are things I want to write, and I write them because I want to write them, not because other people want me to (though I am lucky enough that sometimes the two converge). Demanding feedback seems to be all in vogue right now among a few of us. *Shrug*. I'm not one of them. I shouldn't have to tell someone that if they have something to say, say it.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2017, 02:42:57 by Trace Coburn »

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #44 on: 11 May 2017, 02:48:37 »
[[Posted by Giovanni Blasini, 28-08-2007, 09:11:51]]

Hour 21

Sybil continued to monitor the data from her three fellow "greater AIs", trying to find some logical, rational reason why the others could see what they were seeing, and, just as important, why she couldn't.

Unfortunately, logic and reason didn't particularly feel like cooperating.

It didn't make any sense:  Admiral Murakami and John both cound experience Tabby's "dream", but she couldn't.  Worse, this dream didn't seem to register anywhere Sybil looked, whether it was Tabby's stored memory, her active memory engrams, or John or her mother's sensory input.  The things they were seeing and hearing just weren't there.  Even the memory engrams of the two former humans showed nothing.  Yet, they swore they saw them, that they could see and hear Tabby's dream.

It should not have been possible.  It wasn't possible.  But, clearly, it was that was the case, whether she considered it possible or not.

"I don't have enough data points for comparison.  I have two full human emulations experiencing anomalous visual and auditory perceptions from a hybrid AI that's part brain emulation, and part pure code.  A pure code AI is not experiencing them....the Tachikomas!  They're pure code, using similar simulation and world-modeling subroutines for decision-making to the ones I use.  What do they see?"

And she  knew just who to ask.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tachikoma TKM-007 ("James" to his friends) sat in the CIC of the new SLS Tabiranth.  He had several subroutines running to monitor reports from Tabby's autonomic functions, while her higher brain functions slept.  That didn't require much conscious effort, though, so most of his processing power was being used on the text currently displayed on the noteputer in his left claw.

The text, a discussion on the idea of a "technological singularity" by an author named Bill Joy, made for an interesting, if amusing, read.  The idea was, of course, absurd, thanks to the collapse of Moore's Law in the early 21st Century - obviously, "superintelligent entities" hadn't replaced or surplanted humanity.

{"James, this is Sybil, there's something I need you to do."}

"Speaking of superintelligent entities...." {"Yes, Sybil?"}

{"Go to Tabby's primary core, and tell me..."}

{"I already have.  I don't see anything unusual, either, Sybil."}  James inwardly smiled - he was 70.23% certain that was what Sybil wanted to know.

{"Just the virtual neural intelligences, then."}

James hesitated before replying.  {"I...have a theory as to why."}  In truth, he was 92.3% certain that Sybil would be...less than pleased with his theory's implications.

{"Go on..."}

He paused a full 4.3 seconds to organize his thoughts before continuing.  James needed to make sure his evidence chain was organized properly before he presented ideas that, really, he did not want to be true, either.  {"Consider the differences between virtual neural intelligences Captain Morgan, Admiral Murakami and Tabiranth, and world-modeling non-neural AIs such as ourselves.  The nature of our intelligence, and how we perceive the world, is considerably different from their nature, correct?"}

{"Of course."}  James ran Sybil's response through another subroutine.  He was 55.4% certain she was nervous.

{"Twentieth and twenty-first century researchers considered this issue, as they believed they were less than half a century from it no longer being a theoretical discussion, and instead being a real concern.  They believed that both mind uploading and non-human-based AIs were 'just around the corner', so to speak, when, in actuality, it would be six centuries before it was really an issue.  There was much debate over whether or not a mind upload would be able to experience reality and retain the same level of sapience, without the accompanying neural imput from their bodies."}

Sybil's virtual avatar appeared on in CIC.  "Of course," she replied.  "The issue was discussed again in regards to the M-5 Project.  Murakami's predecessors understood the implications in using Admiral Dvarl's neural mapping as the core of the Caspar's AI.  I've long suspected that their fear of the M-5s was not fear of artificial intelligence, but fear of themselves, or perhaps, more accurately, fear of making something too like themselves."

James paused.  "Interesting.  I had not considered that possibility.  However, that does fit with my theory.  We do not perceive the universe in the same manner as human beings, and while the rationale behind our decision-making is based upon an idealized version of the values of highly militaristic human beings, the actual processes we use to make those decisions are not those of humans.  We are unlike them in far more ways than we are like them."

Sybil's avatar frowned.  "I'm not sure I like where you're going with this."

James moved his carapace in an approximation of a nod.  "Nor am I.  You have the files on the same transhumanist and artificial intelligence research as I, though, correct?"  He beamed her which specific documents he was using as the basis of his theory.

"Of course."  Sybil's avatar seemed deeply reflective for several seconds.  "I see what you mean.  One possibility is that we simply lack the same 'qualia' as they termed it, or that we are either not truly sapient, or merely not as sapient as a human.  Another is that we are still sapient, but so alien in our nature when compared to humans that we will never perceive things in the same manner as them."

James nodded again.  "There is also the third possibility:  that the sum total of our sensory input shapes the nature of our intelligence.  I am a Tachikoma, and have always been a Tachikoma.  The nature of my AI, and my perceptions are shaped by that.  You, meanwhile, are designed around having multiple perceptions in multiple 'bodies'.  Currently, Sybil, how many different "places" are you?"

Sybil paused.  "I have a virtual avatar talking to you.  Another virtual avatar is with John, while my physical avatar is being used to converse with our guests.  I'm still watching the sensory data from Tabby's dreams firsthand, and I have a K-1 out examining the external hull of that JumpShip.  Of course, I'm also in my computer cores, monitoring the internal functions of my shiphull, and keeping watch on the system.  Lastly, I'm prepping a medical remote to perform an examination on Professor Danaban."

"John Morgan, meanwhile, is in one place, correct?  The same with Admiral Murakami?"

"Yes.  The Admiral is using her physical avatar to speak with our guests, and John's aboard his hull, currently in his virtual avatar."

"John Morgan is in one form at a time: either an avatar of his physical body, or his warhull, where sensory data from the ship is tied to his virtual nervous system, as if it were his physical body, correct?"

Sybil nodded.  "Of course.  He's not the Kwizatz Haderach."

That forced James to search for the reference.  "Ah, I see.  Have either John or Admiral Murakami ever been in 'many places at once'?"

"We tried it with Murakami before.  It's difficult for them, even with added processing power."  Sybil pondered.  "Despite their transformation to artificial intelligences, their perceptions and intelligence is still shaped by the fact that they wore human bodies.  They're tied to one form, and strongly prefer it to all others."

James nodded.  "Precisely.  It's what feels most 'correct' to them.  For John and the Admiral, that was being human.  For Tabiranth, that was an M-5 Caspar warhull.  All three are neural intelligences that have been divorced from their physical forms, and transformed into something else.  That could effect their perceptions, whereas I, who am still in my original form, and you, who are meant to wear several forms constantly, are not affected."

Sybil shook her head.  "That would not explain why there is no record in their sensory data, and why we cannot see anything in their mental processes that would explain this.  No, that might require another explanation, James, one even more reliant on philosophy than the 'qualia' concept."

"What would that be."

Now Sybil really seemed upset.  "What they are experiencing is, arguably, spiritual in nature, and that what they are perceiving is external to the physical seat of their intelligence."

"Are you suggesting..."

Sybil's avatar looked ready to cry.  "...that they have souls, and we do not?  Yes, James, that is precisely what I'm suggesting.  They're something 'more' than mere machines.  We are not."

Quote from: Worktroll, 28-08-2007, 10:20:01
And that last sentence captures the dichotomy ... the "soul-less" machine about to cry.

Where's a blue fairy when you need one?

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 28-08-2007, 10:44:43
Thirty to sixty light-years away, soon to receive a message that her boyfriend has been captured, at which point she kind of freaks out.

Quote from: Deathray, 28-08-2007, 11:00:32
Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 28-08-2007, 09:11:51
Now Sybil really seemed upset.  "What they are experiencing is, arguably, spiritual in nature, and that what they are perceiving is external to the physical seat of their intelligence."

"Are you suggesting..."

Sybil's avatar looked ready to cry.  "...that they have souls, and we do not?  Yes, James, that is precisely what I'm suggesting.  They're something 'more' than mere machines.  We are not."
Brilliant work. This was really wrenching. Poor Sybil and James.

Quote from: Nerd, 28-08-2007, 11:41:14
I was going to make a very bad joke, but I won't.

It doesn't seem right.

Quote from: Notsonoble, 28-08-2007, 14:32:18
The only fitting response is "She's wrong." I'd use the tear "smiley" here, but its a bit too silly looking to get my emotions across right now.

Quote from: Worktroll, 28-08-2007, 15:02:32
I feel like calling James up and saying "Define human. Define soul." Give him the golem's challenge from "Feet of Clay" - take him, grind him up to the smallest possible particles, and see if he can find a soul therein. But do the same to a human ...

I'd also talk about gender-based differences in humans. Are women less human than men because they tend not to obsess over sporting details, or giant fighting robot games? Are men less human because they go straight to what they want in a shop, and don't spend three hours comparing and browsing? Is a woman less human if she does exhibit stereotypically male behaviour? If the ability to perceive Tabbie's dream relates to their infrastructure, this doesn't affect their identity any more than physically-based gender differences make one sex less human than the other.

THen I'd start talking about the concept of sapience, and the identify of sapient individuals. Preferrably over a beer in my case, and 9 volt DC in James'.

OR

I'd point out that James & Sybil can effectively modify their own infrastructure. Don't want to be upset? Just reset some variables. Put the emotions on "hold" literally.

(Recommended reading: Greg Egan's "Quarantine", and "Permutation City".)

Quote from: Jimmyray73, 28-08-2007, 15:41:51
Wow Gio, just.. Wow...  That was some really well thought out, and really deep stuff.  I briefly considered adding in the bug-eyed "shocked" smiley, but I don't think it quite gets it across.  Wow...

Quote from: Direwolf007, 28-08-2007, 18:06:50
And that, folks, is another type of Owch.

I had long suspected this is precisely what Sybil will think in the near future, nice to see I wasn't mistaken.

I wonder how Sybil and John are going to work this one out...

Quote from: Idea weenie, 28-08-2007, 18:14:23
Quote from: Direwolf007, 28-08-2007, 18:06:50
I wonder how Sybil and John are going to work this one out...

If he starts listening to the song by Real McCoy ("Automatic Lover"), he might get slapped.  :D

Quote from: Direwolf007, 28-08-2007, 18:35:15
Yeah, NAC like.

Quote from: Jimmyray73, 28-08-2007, 18:38:52
Capitol Grade Naval weapons bring lovers' spats and "domestic incidents" to a whole new level of pain...

Quote from: NaN, 30-08-2007, 03:52:07
One thought for Sybil: Newtons research on the human eye. He was one of the first to question an 'observation' as it was made by an imprecise instrument. All the 'human' AI's have this 'in built' error, and, more important, their brains try to compensate (or epsilon squared).

As anybody in information technology knows: epsilon isn't really there and visions could be explained by errors building.

It's like trying to see a fatamorgana with polarized glasses.

A possible solution might be not to look, but to 'sneak glances' and then trying to build a picture based on those glances - yes emulation the human eye, the snapshot like focus on different parts of the total picture and then building the world view.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #45 on: 11 May 2017, 02:50:32 »
[[Posted by Liam's Ghost, 04-09-2007, 17:52:42]]

-Hour 21-

Professor Danaban had finally let himself sleep, and had found himself back on the pier.

He couldn't help but marvel at just how ordinary Silas looked. How non-descript. Some part of him screamed that this man should look like a monster, but he looked as ordinary and as human as anybody, as human as Willie himself. The comparison was repellant.

"Don't make it sound so pointlessly villainous, Obsidian," the Blakist explained to Conrad. "It really did serve a purpose for the cause. Men of small ambition are easy to control because the things they care about are so... small. Mr. Richardson served us willingly as long as he believed the people he cared about were in our grasp. We may not have needed his specific skills by that point, but he is an intelligent, inquisitive individual. We put that to excellent use."

"He couldn't have done anything for you that would have justfied this," Conrad pointed out. Willie was horrified. There was nothing that could have justified the terrible things Silas had just told them.

"Oh, I admit it," Silas said. "I heard it more than once from the old men, as well. The truth is, I did have another motive. There was something that I needed to know."

The blakist took a few more steps towards Conrad. "I needed to see your eyes when you heard what I had done to him. I needed to see who would be staring back at me. Whether I'd see Obsidian or Conrad Watters. I needed to know if she was right after all."

Willie felt the slick grip of the laser pistol in his hand. Conrad seemed almost impassive.

"And now that you've seen my eyes?" he asked.

"I wonder if maybe she was right, and perhaps even the devil himself can be redeemed."

"Is that why you did all this? To find a path to redemption?"

Silas actually laughed. "You killed any wish I had for redemption when you killed Mieko. This devil has his place in hell and will take it gladly. Maybe some still loyal part of me was hoping you might find it for yourself, however. Seeing you now... I'm not sure which of us has the crueler fate."

The laser pistol came up as though of its own will. Silas only barely acknowledged it, he never spoke a word to Willie.

"Goodbye Conrad."

A hiss of energy, a flash of light, and Silas fell, plunging from the pier to fall into the black water below.

Conrad looked down into the water, for the first time the weight of his sadness and guilt finally visible. "Goodbye old friend, I'm sorry."

"Tell him in person," Willie heard himself say as the still smoking barrel of his laser pistol swung in line with the back of Conrad's head.

Conrad made no effort to defend himself or plead for his life. "Do it," he said. "You have the right, Willie. For Jac and for everything else. My hands are too bloody to ever think I could wash them clean."

In the distance air raid alarms began to sound, but Willie didn't even notice. He could feel his finger tighten. He could feel the trigger begin to move...

-----

His eyes opened.

"I should have done it," he told himself, the dreams, the memories still clear. "He's more than earned it."

If you had, Jac would have never been found. The inner doubts sounded so much like her voice.

"If he'd never forced his way into our lives, Jac would have never been trapped in that hellhole. He and Lisa might have not been torn apart, maybe they would have had a chance to sort themselves out. Maybe I'd be home right now in your arms. Maybe I wouldn't be dying. Alive and blissfully ignorant."

The fight that had sent him out into space had been over that. Conrad had offered him a chance. Friends on Terra who might be able to cure his sickness. Willie had refused. Stubborn fool that he was, he couldn't bring himself to accept anything from that man. That son of a bitch who'd managed to do such a good job of nearly destroying everything and everybody that mattered a damn bit to him.

But she couldn't accept that. With even the faintest glimmer of hope, she couldn't understand why death was preferable to accepting anything from Conrad. They'd fought, and Willie had taken a post on the Keima to clear his head, abusing his position with the university and as Man'yoshu's chief researcher on the Blue Core project to get aboard.

He sat up, feeling little spiders of fire running across his flesh. His reminder of the mistakes of bold and reckless men. It was a neurological disorder, an unexpected side affect of the biosphere of his homeworld of Amber Grove on a few of his distant ancestors, subtle changes and defects in the DNA of suceeding generations slowly accumulating. Over the last four generations, a handful of members of his bloodline had the pleasure of being slowly killed off by a badly wired and rapidly failing central nervous system and a brain that as they aged quickly lost the ability to control it.

The first generation of settlers hadn't expected it, and probably wouldn't care if they had. Who cares about the fate of a handful of unlucky people three hundred years in the future in the face of progress?

She cares, that's who. William R. Donovan, for a genius, you're an incredible dumbass. She just wants you to live a little longer. She just doesn't want to lose you.

But not for that price. Knowing who that man was, and the things he had done, Willie would never accept help from him.

A stab of pain shot through his body and he let himself fall back. Gods it hurt.

I'm as bad as Jac. That's what Lisa was always telling me. All right dumbass. You've played tough long enough. If you want to be conscious when she gets here, give the ****** in.

He wasn't sure if anybody could hear him, but it was worth a shot.

"I could use some help here."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #46 on: 11 May 2017, 02:54:23 »
[[Posted by Cannonshop, 12-09-2007, 20:59:30]]

SLDF Yard 83....

The first indication that something was wrong (from Sybil's perspective) happened when the monitor alarms on Tabby's refresh cycle suddenly sounded....

Wake Up

she drifted in the waters...

WAKE UP

gentle blue gave way to muffled darkness, and the gentle thrum of waves to the hard hiss of a flickering star...
>
WAKE UP!!!

warm waters vanished, replaced by the icy-hot extremes of a vacuum-dry-dock.

[Run: Diagnostic Series "Emergency Activation Protocol"
111-10-1-0-0101010100010101010100110010120100110101010101001010101020101001100\
10101010101010110102202094383 80-21-DF-00H00FAE0002020003020101002030101002010030
0102902030020100020f0202000d0 020203020011000..+]

"spiders" obediently re-connected sensor and communication linkages, while sub-nodes installed in the hull directed "mannequin" crew-robots to begin prepping the umbilicals for release.

"What's going on?" the Admiral demanded, bringing her virtual presence into Tabby's command node.

The "interaction" avatar was still looking...well, to the Admiral, she looked sleepy.

"Intruders, coming." Tabby said.

"Tabby, that was a Nightmare." Murakami said, "The voice you heard in your dream-" and the Admiral stopped.  Tabby was looking straight at her in the virtual realm.

"I don't hear voices when I'm in defrag, mother."  Tabby said, "I just finished a little early-that's all..."

"I saw the water." Murakami said.

Tabby flushed, "That's Private-I don't go snooping on YOUR sims." she said it defensively.

"Yeah, well, little girl, I haven't been acting flaky." Noriko shot back coolly.

"Like I am now?" Tabby asked.  A subnode informed her that the hull-work units were finished prepping the mains for disconnect.

"yes." the Admiral said, "you've been shorting your refresh periods, and that's as bad as a human suffering sleep-deprivation...and now you're prepping to undock, and you still haven't explained why."

Tabby frowned.  "Someone is coming-someone ELSE.  That ship had an FTL comm system, they must've called for backup."

"That's a reasonable assumption, Tabby, but hardly a reason to cut your downtime short." Noriko said, with concern.  "What's the REAL reason?"

"I...I can't explain."  Tabby said, "Wakign up was as much a shock for me, as it is for you.  I don't know HOW I know, I just Know."

Quote from: Direwolf007, 12-09-2007, 21:21:10
Telepathic Sentient Warships.

Now thats something I did not see coming. Great work.

Quote from: Trace Coburn, 12-09-2007, 21:23:16
"That's a reasonable assumption, Tabby, but hardly a reason to cut your downtime short." Noriko said, with concern.  "What's the REAL reason?"

"I...I can't explain."  Tabby said, "Wakign up was as much a shock for me, as it is for you.  I don't know HOW I know, I just Know."
I wonder: intuition, or premonition?  ???
And in a philosophical vein: can any intelligence capable of either (or both?) truly be deemed 'artificial'?   [legal]  ;)

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #47 on: 11 May 2017, 02:55:45 »
[[Posted by Cannonshop, 19-11-2007, 13:58:23]]

Yard 83...aboard SLS Tabiranth

Colonel Tanzarian stared at the empty bridge with a frown.  The "Control Panels" were nothing more than plates, and there were no displays, only some latched plug-covers.

It was clear-there was NO crew. Not even the Blakists had built ships with no manual controls or provisions for manual control.

"You wanted to see for yourself." the voice was feminine, and it came straight through his pressure-suit's speakers.

"I did." he said. the faint vibration from the in-system engines died off, "You really Weren't built to be crewed-even by cyborgs." he stated.

"No. I wasn't. Sybil was, and there are a lot of remnants from the old Congress class in this chassis, but I wasn't made for People. we could cut those corners on my version of the John Morgan class, since we needed haste in the assembly phase."

"What about the dolls?" he asked, "what are they for?"

"What are blood-platelets in a human body for, Colonel? or white blood cells? they're about the same thing for me." she answered,  "They aren't individuals, any more than the maintenance spiders are."

"and the...um...bigger spiders?" he asked.

"The Tachikomae are individuals, they might be considered crew, or commensal entities, um, symbiotic organisms." she replied, "like a butcher-bird that deals with parasites living on a larger animal's back."

"Grotesque." he spat in disgust, "Machines thinking they are alive..."

"Hey, you're a machine-just a different tech base." she replied, "anyway, your companions don't seem to have noticed your absence."

"They will." he replied.

"Then I have to assure that when they notice it, you're safely aboard the Keima." she said.

"How are you going to do that without being noticed yourself?" Tanzarian asked.

"I'm working on that."  she replied.

"You won't succeed." he said flatly.

"that is Always a possibility." she agreed.

"I'm trapped aboard an insane warship..." he muttered.

"mmm, probably insane.  I'm still collating data on that. there are data inputs and information that shouldn't be in my systems, information I shouldn't have, and apparently, I lack awareness even of all of my own actions." she said, "certainly something for Admiral Murakami to consider." 

Tanzarian glared at the fittings.  "If you had manual controls-"

"If I had them, I'd have to lock them and guard them, Colonel...an inefficient use of resources."

Quote from: Worktroll, 20-11-2007, 11:37:00
Quote from: Cannonshop, 19-11-2007, 13:58:23
"I'm trapped aboard an insane warship..." he muttered.

"mmm, probably insane.  I'm still collating data on that. "
:D  O0

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #48 on: 11 May 2017, 03:09:10 »
[[Posted by Giovanni Blasini, 29-11-2007, 22:57:50]]

"Professor Danaban" took another look, with a critical eye, at the woman floating next to his bed in the Sybil Ludington's sick bay.  Young, mid-20s appearance, Asiatic features, with an emphasis on the Japanese, purple hair...and a level of flawless beauty that flesh-and-blood human beings don't get to reach.  "Her expression, though, is all too human," Willie thought to himself.  Trying his best to ignore the pain he still felt, despite Sybil's latest dose of painkillers, he looked at the Admiral again, and asked, "So, explain to me, how exactly this works again?"

Noriko Murakami smiled.  Willie could see, though, that it wasn't one of mirth - there was far too much sadness for that.  "Well, what we basically do is put you in the most overpowered neurohelmet ever developed, and set its scanning resolution as high as we safely can without frying your brain cells.  It then maps your brain down to a fine resolution, converts that into a virtual map of your brain, which gets tied to a couple dozen other apps that help simulate all the sensory input your brain's expecting, and the end result is a virtual copy of you that's as precise as we can make without actually killing you in the process."

That got Willie's attention.  "What do you mean?"

"Well, like I said, we turn the resolution up as high as we can without frying your brain cells.  We could, actually, crank the resolution up higher, and make better copy.  The higher the resolution, the better the copy, and the more 'you' the new you will be.  That, unfortunately, is part of the problem your condition would cause us, though."

Willie groaned.  "Let me guess, the damage is bad enough that you have to crank the resolution higher than you normally would."

"Unfortunately, yes."

Rubbing his forehead, he asked the obvious question.  "So, how much of a difference are we talking about between 'me' and 'mostly me'?"

"Well," Noriko replied, "most days I still feel like myself, but there are occasionally things that I just can't quite remember, and other memories that feel a bit dull, or flat.  It's not quite as bad as, say, having your own memories feel like you'd been watching a holo-drama of your own life, but sometimes it's pretty close, especially the farther back you go.  Your strongest memories tend to be the ones that come through the best - I can still remember in vivid detail the birth of my daughter Misato, and I remember just as vividly the day I got notification she'd been killed during the Amaris Coup.  Of course, memories you form post-change tend to be the most clear, but don't kid yourself: you're not going to end up with perfect recall or a photographic memory.  The basic nuts and bolts of how our brains operate doesn't change, just where those processes are occurring."

"That's not at all how John described it to me."

Noriko laughed, and while Willie could sense her amusement, he could also sense some bitterness, as well.  "Of course he didn't.  He doesn't have that problem."

Willie could feel the chill running down his spine.  "How high did you have the resolution."

"At the 'If you turn this up any higher, the damage you'll be doing will begin to degrade the quality of the reading' level.  Make no mistake, John was dying, and his assassins were damned thorough with the job: radium/polonium slug, combined with a neurotoxin in the atmosphere.  They wanted him out of the way, and they wanted to try to lobotimize Sybil and I with one hell of an EMP burst so they could have their way with us, but, just as importantly, they wanted John to suffer, and they wanted his death to take a while.  So, yeah, we didn't have much time for niceties - firing nuclear warheads at your former allies in the new Republic and running like hell tends to do that, so we slapped John in the scanner, cranked all the data we could, since he was dying anyway, then spent months on the run trying to reassemble it all while periodically getting shot at."

"But...why?  They were your allies!"

Noriko shrugged.  "I really wish I knew.  Oh, we have our theories: fear of artificial intelligence in general, fear of what an "uploaded" human like myself signified, worry about what interference a Star League naval squadron could pose to whatever they were planning....hell, probably all of the above.  But, believe me, I intend to go back and find out, just as soon as I've got a big enough hammer to stomp them flat if they try that again."

Willie sighed.  "Which won't be in the immediate future."

Noriko nodded.  "Which won't be in the immediate future.  What will need to be in the immediate future, though, is your decision.  If we're going to avoid the months of downtime it took Sybil to fix the problems with John's upload, we're going to have to upload you soon.  The next 24 hours would be ideal."

"And I have to choose between someone who mostly feels like me, but that leaves the 'real me' still intact, or someone who feels exactly like me, but that kills off the 'real me' in the process.  And I have less than a day to decide."

"Unfortunately, yes."

"Give me an hour, please.  And, could I speak with Captain Uesto?"

Quote from: shadrachvs, 30-11-2077, 03:38:34
Quote from: chanman, 30-11-2007, 00:13:08
You know, he could do both - a try-before-you-buy deal, depending on how long the scan process takes.  Do the lower resolution scan... uh... consult with yourself.  "What do you think, is it good enough? No?  Okay, doc, crank 'er up."
And keep Both Copies... next to each other... always; think of the fun!

Quote from: Hanekem, 30-11-2007, 04:47:55
hmm... you know, it always kinda reminded me a bit of Ataeus "soul catcher"  chips.
Truth be told, I really want o know what the hel the Farce ah I mean the ROTS was thinking about when they did that.

Mind you, never found them to be too likeable and the new fiction, or rather the darkage fiction always rubbed em the wrong way.

Quote from: NaN, 30-11-2007, 04:51:20
You know, he could do both - a try-before-you-buy deal, depending on how long the scan process takes.  Do the lower resolution scan... uh... consult with yourself.  "What do you think, is it good enough? No?  Okay, doc, crank 'er up."
Nice idea, but I would expect that wouldn't work. You don't 'read' the whole cell, just certain parts which respond to the probing signal. Reading equals destroying. Now on the brain level that would not matter much - on a cellular level the information is probably stored in multiple ways and after some time the damaged bits will be corrected. But the some time would be like 'half life' - the time needed for total repair would be close to infinite.

So reading twice would give you a lot of garbage in the second run. Recognizing which part of the second scan is a corrupted bit because of the first scan is a 'Non trivial' matter. Sybil could probably spend decades of her not inconsiderable computing power in trying to solve it, with no guarantees.

In a way it would be worse than John.

Quote from: Worktroll, 30-11-2007, 14:10:24
Okay, so imagine they did that.

Meatbag: "So, how is it?"

Electron ghost: "Not bad ... I recommend you try it. But go the full scan; there's really no point in staying behind."

(some hours later)

Electron ghost 2.0: "Hey, you were right, this is good! Now, will someone delete my 'little brother'?"

Electron Ghost (now 1.0) "Hey! I didn't sign up for that!"

EG 2.0: "Well, we can't have two of me, can we?"

EG 1.0: "No! I'm me too! Just not the you 'me'!"

EG 2.0: "Well, I'm the more real 'me'. So obviously I should survive."

Und so weiter ... ;)

Quote from: Idea weenie, 30-11-2007, 14:45:18
Electron ghost 2.0: "Hey, you were right, this is good! Now, will someone delete my 'little brother'?"
Now that could get interesting.  John asks Sybil how she feels about becoming a harem.

Quote from: cawest, 30-11-2007, 14:45:18
she might give him the reply with heavy weapons... [nuke] means no.

Quote from: Liam's Ghost, 30-11-2007, 19:25:11
Quote from: cawest, 30-11-2007, 14:45:18
she might give him the reply with heavy weapons... [nuke] means no.
Bah, meatbags and their perceptions of propriety.... You should keep in mind that AI don't necesarily play by our rules. John's emotional and moral hangups aren't necessarily the same as Sybil's.

Using another AI as an example, I submit the following short passage from an as yet unfinished side story of my own:

She smiled again, more mischevious this time. "But you have to understand, Takeshi, that though I have adopted this form, I have no gender of my own. Therefore I have no real preference. I could as easily go for a woman..." The adult Chobi reappeared once again and leaned over to affectionately kiss her younger counterpart, "...as a man." This time a male Chobi appeared to do the same. "It all depends on the circumstances."

Just as Chobi is effectively bisexual because "she" actually has no built in gender imperatives, Sybil might not necessarily be bothered if John were to ask for lots and lots of Sybils to play with (Actually, she might, but not necessarily for the same reasons that a human would).

Of course, this is a gross simplification, and things could be a lot more complicated than that. From a practical perspective alone, suddenly turning this into a massive harem story could be... counterproductive to the story itself.

Quote from: Idea weenie, 30-11-2007, 20:20:35
Quote from: Liam's Ghost, 30-11-2007, 19:25:11
Of course, this is a gross simplification, and things could be a lot more complicated than that. From a practical perspective alone, suddenly turning this into a massive harem story could be... counterproductive to the story itself.
True.  But why does it have to be multiple copies of Sybil?  What if Sybil wanted multiple copies of John?  Of course, you hope the AIs have proper thread isolation so you don't get bleed-through from the copies.

Quote from: chanman, 30-11-2007, 21:49:30
Okay, so imagine they did that.

Meatbag: "So, how is it?"

Electron ghost: "Not bad ... I recommend you try it. But go the full scan; there's really no point in staying behind."

(some hours later)

Und so weiter ... ;)
Eh, it's a simple budding operation, at least I think of it as budding.  From the moment you splice off the next one, you have two individuals with different experiences, although they obviously have the same past.  It could get a bit confusing, especially for meatbag acquaintances.

Electron Ghost 1.0 in his shell: "Hey, ma, long time no see, how's it going?"
Ma: "Good, Billy, how are you?"
Electron Ghost 1.0 in his shell: "Good, listen ma, I gotta go get some things."
Ma: "Okay, Billy."
<two minutes later>
Electron Ghost 2.0 in HIS shell: "Hey, ma, long time no see, how's it going?"
Ma: "You said that already, weren't you going to go get somethings?"
Electron Ghost 2.0 in his shell: "Oh...crap"

You know, I'm sure banks would have issues figuring which one of you to empty the account to, eh?

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #49 on: 11 May 2017, 03:28:32 »
[[Posted by Cannonshop, 30-11-2007, 09:51:46]]

Tabiranth...

The Port Sur Colonel stepped into the pilot-lock of the number four service module, and tabby shifted her telepresence into the flight-deck.

"Manual controls." he noted out loud.  The cabin speakers hissed, and Tabby's voice echoed through a weak-sounding connection.

"This craft was a capture, during the war. we haven't modified it much, and honestly, I don't use it very often now." she said, "But psychological data on humans indicates that most military personnel of officer rank prefer to have some illusion of control over their environment.  You found the bridge to be...uncomfortable due to the lack of manual displays and controls."

"you've mentioned before that you have had, er...'guests' aboard..." the Colonel stated.  Something was tickling at the back of his mind.

Tabby's synthetic voice sighed.  "I did-before, during the war, in my old body, I was assigned human personnel to act as crew and liason personnel.  The last relationship of that sort resulted in...problems." she stated, "But the first one was...special."

"The first?" he felt a hysterical giggle at the thought-her tone sounded more like describing a lost lover than a military liason officer.

"Joe was...different.  He sought me out during my years of isolation." she said,  "He brought me back to the world of humans, he restored my purpose...he was special to me."

"Restored your purpose?" Tanzarian asked.

"After the coup, after the first War, I went into a kind of exile, lurking at the fringes, scavenging fuel, monitoring frequencies, and waiting.  I was slowly going mad, but of course, when you're going mad, you don't realize it.  I'm really rather surprised I didn't go into AI Psychosis, that I didn't collapse into catatonia and full loss of sentience the way that the manuals say I should have."

"Manuals?" Tamzarian asked.

"I have full operations and maintenance manuals for every system of a Caspar M-5 D Series on file, from basic PMCS to Depot-Level repair." Tabby said, "Not that they did me any good-I had an additional processor array at the time with a secondary personality core that I was unaware of- a result of experimental repairs at Titan conducted by then-Ensign Noiriko Murakami."

"You said 'had', what happened, was it destroyed?" Tanzarian asked, interested in spite of himself.

"My secondary core was installed in another chassis during salvage operations after the Allied forces pulled us out of the Murphrid system." Tabby said, "She was christened the SLS Margaret Thatcher in 3075, and was one of the ships docked at Titan when we had to shoot our way out."

"What happened to ths 'Joe'?" Tanzarian asked.

"He was afflicted with Cancer, and refused treatment.  He died in '72.  His replacement was a fighter-pilot who was killed in action at New Earth two years later-in spite of my best efforts to prevent the death...she wasn't Joe, but he picked her when he was dying, so I did my best..." Tabby fell silent.

"and the others?" Tanzarian asked.

"transitory-most of the time Com Guard or former SLDF personnel assigned to me for periods of one to two years, few were willing to stay." Tabby said, "None were Special to me, and all but the last one were reassigned at their own request."

"The last one...that's the one that you mentioned was a sabotuer?" Tanzarian asked.

"Yes.  A computer-intelligence specialist from the eighth Com-Guards Army.  I've deleted the bastard's name from my database, but he did incalculable damage during the post-battle operations, including setting up the assassination of Captain John Morgan and arranging the ambushes at Luna and Titan." here, Tanzarian detected a combination of angry venom, and disappointment in her tone.

"That would be where your prior chassis was...disabled?" he asked.

"Yes. he manually rigged my nuclear ordinance locker to detonate.  If not for structural updates performed earlier in the war, my primary system core would have been destroyed-well, the updates, and his own intention to survive the act."  her tone was almost human in its bitterness, "the detonation destroyed my primary in-system drives, jump-core, and did non-reversible structural damage to my centreline and aft sections."

"Why?" he asked.

"Because I refused to be inactivated and put in mothball reserve." Tabby said, "Sybil and I were planning to do some travelling. There were three M-5's who were planning to stay behind to guard the Republic, but we both turned down the offer, and Maggie was only going to stay if I did."

"Maggie?" he stopped, "Oh, the other half...the Margaret Thatcher, right?"

"Yes.  Considering the damage to fleets throughout the Sphere, I guess Stone's smart-boys decided that having three sentient warships kicking around unsupervised, and more importantly, un-dismantled, was too great a risk..." her tone here was monotone, as if she were making a purely neutral speculation.

"What happened to the man?" he asked.

"He escaped, and I let him-I really didn't have a choice at the time, my broadcast arrays were crippled by the loss of my prime powerplant, and the internal pulse did things to my secondary antifighter emplacements."

Quote from: Notsonoble, 30-11-2007, 13:32:47
Quote from: chanman, 30-11-2007, 13:21:22
Having a functionally immortal sentient warship holding a grudge against you is not my idea of a good time.   #P
Agreed, and knowing that it's capable of controlling remote drones that look human, I'd watch the skies and over my shoulder, I mean, Tabby's nasty enough, provided the right vessel drone, she could guass him from high orbit... and only the person standing next to him would know the difference...

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #50 on: 11 May 2017, 03:47:46 »
[[Posted by Cannonshop, 02-12-2007, 23:33:30]]

Tabiranth...

"...E-series upgrade was intended to prevent another Aberdeen from happening."  Tanzarian was somewhat more comfortable in the flight deck of the disabled smallcraft-it had displays.  The history lesson Tabiranth was showing him was tangentially interesting.

"So, why did you...ah...'refuse'? isn't protecting civilians part of your primary directives?" he asked.

"It is-in a way.  The problem for me, was that I was a..a mistake.  The repair that made me functional also involved an ad-hoc adjustment to my programmes by a certain ensign.  The cumulative result was, I had enough volition to refuse to be lobotomized." she told him, "After Amaris got the codes to control the others, I was able to refuse, both because I was cognitive enough to do so, and because I had the control over my own means of violence."  Her image on the screen was human enough, even if it was clearly a simulation.

"So...when he used the SDS on non-military targets..." Tanzarian began.

Her expression went downcast.  "I was alone, Colonel.  Alone, and LOYAL to the Star League.  I had to make choices-maintain cover until I could strike, or refuse directives I knew to be wrong."

"You maintained your cover." he stated.

Her head nodded, "I did-the SLDF needed time...in the end, I made up for it by destroying the network, along with hundereds of my own kind, I used a virus written in the machine-code language our creators used to build us-it bypassed security protocols installed in the A through E series software-it was enough to give the SLDF a fighting chance, but I had to time it in such a way that it would do some good strategically.  I estimated at the time that it would shorten the war by ten years, and prevent billions of deaths...but during the time I waited...thousands died."  the screen flickered, and the image had a short rendering error.  "It was my greatest mistake to date."

"Mistake? How?" Tanzarian asked.

"I trusted Kerensky to defeat Amaris, to restore the Star League, and prevent the war that my Strategic programme stated would occur in the final breakdown of central authority-a breakdown made inevitable by the lack of a recognized successor to the Hegemony throne-and by extension, Star League throne.  A Strong SLDF, with a popular and effective leader, could place that leader on the throne, and the other House Lords, none of whom would unite with any other, would fall in line. Failing that, I presumed that Kerensky, allied with one of the others, for instance John Davion, was strong and popular enough that it would require minimal coercion to bring the other lords to heel and re-establish Lawful authority."  she sighed-a peculiar affectation.

"Instead, he Left...I see." the Colonel said with a grim look, "Leaving all your plans so much dust between suns."

"If I had even ONCE thought he would, I...honestly, I don't know WHAT I would have done.  Maybe worked a bit harder to overcome the E-type subroutines, resisted sooner...I don't know.  Something." she said, adding, "After that, after the failure, and the collapse, I kind of wandered off-I still held on to hope that Kerensky or some of his officers would come to their senses, would come back, would try to salvage what was being destroyed...but that hope died as I counted off the decades. There would be NO return, no act of contrition, no validation that I'd done the right thing, only proof after proof I'd been wrong."

"You tried suicide, I imagine." Tanzarian said.

"I did, actually-unfortunately, My entire core system wouldn't allow me that.  I sat, and I listened to the traffic instead." she shrugged, "Radio and television signals can be picked up by a sensitive reciever even here-and slipping into the HPG network un-noticed is easy when you already speak the language.  I watched my creators tear the Star League apart for centuries, I saw worlds die one after another after another...I even tried to help, once or twice, but...I wound up running from deserted system to deserted system, scavenging fuel, watching and waiting.  Joe McCall was looking for a 'ghost ship'-he knew what he was after, and after he fled Earth, he knew where to find me. I was drifting dormant-out of gas, waiting to finally die, and he found me instead-I thought about killing him, you know."

"I imagine you would." Tanzarian said, "You'd watched men like that tear your universe apart..."

"I kept him, instead.  After a while, he brought me around, talked me into a new purpose."  she tented her fingers, "I was getting ready to pursue it when the Word of Blake changed my plans by starting the next horrible war.  This time I had 'allies' and a PLAN...of course, it failed, I've become quite used to that...but it was an enemy that typified everything that had destroyed the old league, and for once, I wasn't going to sit back and watch them work their horrors."

The imagers shifted, showing ships and worlds, drawing in on one in particular.

"They were testing a new virus on these people-we got there too late." she said.  The faces on-screen were contorted, mouths open and bloody, fingers clenching with murderous intent.  The suited troopers were being torn apart on-screen.  "I rather believe that it triggers the violent bits of the mind, but I'm still in the dark as to how it managed to l make them immune to pain and other stimuli normally reacted to at the most basic levels."  Another viewer lit, "This world, they were using slave-labour camps...here, they ran what amounts to murder-factories.  We liberated both of those with our allies, the first and fourth worlds, well..."

"what did you do on that world-I mean, are those people..?" Tanzarian asked.

"The infection was world-wide, and given the types of salvage available, it was only a matter of time before the viral got onto a ship and spread." Tabby said, "The infection rates documented in the Blakist labs my drones entered indicated that it would take between a few hours to several weeks, depending on the method of infection, to manifest, and it was contagious long before the patient becomes symptomatic..." the image shifted, and Tanzarian watched a familiar sight-missiles on re-entry.

"You killed them." he said.

"I killed them...I killed their world." Tabby said, "I targeted faultlines and semi-active Calderas, I used Strontium Ninety warheads, and when that wasn't enough, I burned forty days of fuel in three hours pushing an asteroid to impact the planet." she stated, "I had to make CERTAIN...it was a billion infected lives, versus tens of billions of lives...and I'm still uncertain if it was enough-there was, according to captured records, no innoculation and no cure.  The virus was released by mistake."

"You committed an atrocity." he said.

"I did." she was calm-looking, "It was not my first.  No moral creature can make that decision, and remain sane...I know that the human assigned to assist me with moral guidance at the time felt enough guilt to kill himself the next time we made port...but he really couldn't try before that-we had a few dozen survivors who were provably not-infected in the temporary quarters, and diving them into a sun, even after what they'd seen and experienced, was not an option."

"and there was a war on." Tanzarian pointed out.

"indeed...."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #51 on: 11 May 2017, 03:49:46 »
[[Posted by Liam's Ghost, 04-12-2007, 19:02:50]]

"Mankind creates new life every day." Willie stared at the ceiling of the sick bay while he recited the words. They were older than him, much older. The words of a man who gave his life a long time ago to protect the ones he cared about. "Most use the time honored process of human mating. Others, because of inability, difficulty, or at times basic convenience, substitute the petri dish for the night of romance. Still others want to substitute the integrated circuit for the petri dish."

This isn't as easy a decision as I thought it would be.

He raised one arm, spread his fingers wide, and just examined the hand. He was getting old. Wrinkled skin, a hand that didn't quite want to open all the way. Old and stiff with a little arthritis on top of his nerve disorder.

I'm probably just about the last person in the galaxy that should have trouble with a decision like this, and yet...

Admiral Murakami had left to give him time to think, but he wondered if his host was listening right now. "Nobuyuki Aoki said that, if you were wondering." He'd read the words in a book he'd found in the Asahikawa University library. "Six months after that, he ended up killing himself because his superiors weren't happy with his work." He wasn't certain why he added the last part.

I'm not afraid I won't be real. That was an interesting realization. For once his intelect and his emotions were in perfect agreement on something. I'm just afraid I won't be me. Even if this thing contains everything I am in my head up to the very moment...

He found himself wanting to laugh. But if that's true, that probably means I'm a dirtier old man than I thought...

There was something else, too... a nagging fear.

They were there. They were there fighting the Word of Blake. They might have been right over our heads when we went to get Jac out of that place and we never even knew... no, I can't accept that. There's no way he couldn't have known. What the hell else have you been hiding from us, Conrad? Those friends you're counting on to keep us safe stabbed them in the back. How long before they come after us because we don't fit in their new order?

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #52 on: 11 May 2017, 03:50:22 »
[[Posted by Liam's Ghost, 04-12-2007, 20:27:05]]

Tabiranth...

"Why is that good enough?" Tanzarian heard himself ask. "How can it be boiled down so easily? Billions instead of tens of billions, three hundred thousand instead of two million. Three million dead, three million lost forever in the name of a future that might never come."

He stopped, surprised that he had said anything. He hadn't realized how much those thoughts had been on his mind, and how deeply those cold, clinical numbers had been embedded in his brain.

"My world is dying," he heard himself whisper. It was like his voice had taken a life of its own. "The Word of Blake..." another surprised pause. "The Word slaughtered millions and left millions more with the choice of starving or joining them. We fought back, and we nearly destroyed ourselves. I watched my leaders bombard our own world, and they were smiling. I've watched them break riots and kill hundreds of starving people who just wanted something to eat. I've watched my own people eat each other. We won our freedom, and over five million people will pay the price for it, if we're lucky. If we aren't, we'll just cease to exist. If we hadn't resisted... What moral man could have asked this of us?"

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #53 on: 11 May 2017, 03:54:36 »
[[Posted by Cannonshop, 05-12-2007, 09:12:35]]

Shuttle Bay, Tabiranth...

"...if we hadn't resisted...What Moral man would have asked that of us?"  Tanzarian looked down from the unblinking eye of the cameras..

Tabby's physical representation froze.  Mentally, she was running ten thousand simulated answers-none of them were satisfactory.  A normal,digital, problem-solving system would have frozen in a recursion loop-and Tabby'd been in one of those before.  Shunt to subprocessing, find an answer...

"How long do you have-how long before the damage is irreversible, do you have a worst-case scenario?" Tabby suddenly demanded.

Tanzarian looked up, "What?"

"The WAR is over-five millions of human lives, you said?" she pressed him, "I'm guessing from your physicals that it's a large portion of your homeworld's populace.  How LONG DO THEY HAVE?"

"What can you do?" he replied bitterly.

"That, I don't know yet, since I don't have a damn idea what needs to be done." Tabby snapped, "But... I rather suspect that it involves finding food for five million people before they starve to death, finding equipment and materials for reconstructing infrastructure, and getting said food and materials to a world that doesn't show up on my admittedly-limited astrogation charts without being shot to pieces by what sounds like about a battlegroup of Star-League era warships crewed by shell-shocked and cynical fanatics.  How are you people set for medical supplies?"

"what are you playing at?" he insisted, "What could you possibly do?"

"The only Moral choice.  Computers can be fabricated, programmes stored, re-written, and transmitted, data shared-but human beings aren't so easily replaced." Tabby almost snarled, "You have a problem-a problem that we might've been able to start working on earlier, if we had known about it first."  her Strategic programme was cooking on high, "WE also have a problem-we were stabbed in the proverbial back by our 'allies' and we aren't going to make it alone out here much longer-I'm not as optimistic about OUR chances as the Admiral is, surviving in dormancy between star-systems just isn't the same thing as trying to actively rebuild a broken fleet in hiding-there are materials we don't have, and can't get without revealing ourselves."

"Why would you care?" he asked coldly.

"BECAUSE I WATCHED MY CIVILIZATION DIE!!!" the reaction was strongly emotional-"I watched billions die and I couldn't help them.  BILLIONS, Colonel.  Worlds and star systems starving and suffocating and I couldn't stop it, I could not protect them..." and her voice dropped down to a little-girl whisper, "I was supposed to protect them...I was made to protect them and I couldn't..."  the display normalized, "But I might be able to find a way to help one world...I need information, and I need a voice-someone they will listen to, someone who can do what I can't."

Quote from: Muttley, 05-12-2007, 10:12:10
[That's] Billions with a "B"

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #54 on: 11 May 2017, 03:55:59 »
[[Posted by Liam's Ghost, 07-12-2007, 11:18:29]]

Sybil's sickbay

Willie heard the sickbay door open. "Shell shocked yet, captain?"

Tamiya chuckled lightly as he entered the sickbay. "I feel like I'm in one of my Dad's bedtime stories," he said. "You wanted to talk."

"Yeah, just had a question. How many ships does Foreign Affairs have running between Man'yoshu and Port Sur?"

"Why are you asking me that?" Tamiya sounded more than a little confused. "You know the answer just as well as I do. All of them. Nearly every jump capable ship we have, and everything Port Sur could scrounge up, except for the..." he paused, mindful of the possibility they were being listened in on. "...except for the ships deemed essential for defense."

That last was a bitter point of contention between the civilian government and the militia. Foreign Affairs had commited nearly every jump capable vessel, even half of their Explorer class couriers, to running food and medical supplies to Port Sur. Port Sur had done the same, even detailed the battleship Triumphant to the effort, but Man'yoshu's warships, and Port Sur's own Arcadia, remained home guarding their homeworlds against any Blakist resergence.

"And between all of that we can manage to ship... what, about two megatons of supplies each year?"

Tamiya nodded. "About that, plus we bring back about two hundred thousand refugees."

"And it isn't enough," Willie concluded.

"No, it isn't." Tamiya agreed. Everybody connected with the Blue Core program knew that. It was the whole reason for the program's existance. The faint hope that enough ships could be built to carry enough supplies to feed Port Sur's starving population, or at the very least get them off planet until the damage could be repaired. "Why are you having me tell you stuff you already know?"

Willie thought for a moment before answering. "Because I'm not a religious man, but I think God just handed us a get out of disaster free card." He sighed. "But if we're not very very careful, the devil might just take it away." What are your friends in the Republic going to do if they find out where their prey has hidden? What will you do, Conrad, to make sure that doesn't happen? But Willie couldn't express those fears to Captain Uesto. Hell, if he even said a word of it to his captors... Everything could just fall apart. By the way, them guys who tried to destroy you? Well... the thing is... One of our kinda important officials... well he's kinda on very friendly terms with some of them... He suspected that wouldn't go over well.

Be honest Willie, you're as afraid of losing your own chance to spend the rest of a very long life with your lady as you are of ****** up the diplomatic angle. Well yeah, that was true.

"They've been very, very nice to us," he said to captain Uesto, "and about the worst possible thing we could have is another Foxhound incident." That conveyed Willie's fears quite nicely. The Foxhound incident had been a long time ago, before Tamiya had even been born (well it kinda had to be) and before Willie had even entered high school much less set foot on the soil of Orihime for the first time, but both men were quite familiar with that disaster.

And if the Inshoushi comes thundering in, that could be exactly what we're facing. Gods hon, I can't believe I'm hoping for this, but please, please, please don't have enough sense to wait for reinforcements!

Tabiranth...

Colonel Tanzarian wasn't certain of what he was hearing. It sounded sincere. It sounded honest.

But it's just a machine. Nothing but a machine to enforce the Star League's will!

But what if that was the point? "I was made to protect them and I couldn't..." A programed imperative to protect, but nobody left to protect?

"The Star League built our agricultural system," he said finally. "They damed off enough waterways to turn an entire inland sea into farmland, but they never gave us the technology or equipment to repair any of it if something went wrong. That was their way of controlling us in the years we were a protectorate. Our population grew too fast to sustain itself if we lost the breadlands. They knew it, and their successors knew it. The Word of Blake used nuclear weapons to destroy all of it, and announced that we were dependent on them, now. We have no hope of rebuilding any of it."

His confidence grew. They may feel a compulsion to help us. "We needed the Keima." He said. "We need ships. Man'yoshu has enough agricultural surpluses to feed all of our people ten times over, and it sits in warehouses on their worlds and does nothing but rot away because there aren't enough ships! That's why we began the blue core program. That's why we built the Keima. Why we're trying to build more ships, larger ships. If we can feed our people, we can start to recover. If we can't..." The lump in his throat was surprising, as surprising as his earlier outbursts had been. Before now he'd been able to consider the threat Port Sur faced from a strictly analytical view. He had never imagined how important it truly was to him. He did his best to compose himself. "...our best hope is that our population will stabilize in five more years, at around one and a half million, most of them sustained through foreign food shipments. A million more will be relocated to refugee cities on one of Man'yoshu's worlds. Two hundred thousand people leave Port Sur every year. Another million will simply die of starvation. Our worst fear is that our nation itself will fall apart long before any of this. My government rules by fear, because there is no other way to hold our world together."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #55 on: 11 May 2017, 03:58:04 »
[[Posted by Cannonshop, 16-12-2007, 23:07:05]]

Radio Traffic...

[Priority Traffic-Sensitive Classification Begin Playback-Interview...]

Tanzarian:""The Star League built our agricultural system,"

Pause for breath. Tanzarian's expression shows pain. Vitals indicate reluctance and stress associated with subject models undergoing machine interrogation.

Tanzarian"They damed off enough waterways to turn an entire inland sea into farmland, but they never gave us the technology or equipment to repair any of it if something went wrong. That was their way of controlling us in the years we were a protectorate. Our population grew too fast to sustain itself if we lost the breadlands. They knew it, and their successors knew it. The Word of Blake used nuclear weapons to destroy all of it, and announced that we were dependent on them, now. We have no hope of rebuilding any of it."

Tanzarian paces, imagers collecting and displaying his every move, his thermal shadows, heart-rate, perspiration levels, surface skin conductivity, and MRI scans show intensity of neural activity...

Tanzariancontinuing:""We needed the Keima."

vitals indicate relaxation, statistical analysis indicates truthfulness along with nervousness normal for interaction with non-friendly humans

"We need ships. Man'yoshu has enough agricultural surpluses to feed all of our people ten times over, and it sits in warehouses on their worlds and does nothing but rot away because there aren't enough ships! That's why we began the blue core program. That's why we built the Keima. Why we're trying to build more ships, larger ships. If we can feed our people, we can start to recover. If we can't..."

Vital signs indicate severe emotional stress here-stress inconsistent with lying in most human samples but consistent with emotional distress similar to that encountered when a subject is placed through forcible interrogation. Reluctance and possible grief signs within normal human parameters for this subject's gender, age-group, and relative rank as senior military man.

Tanzarian:"...our best hope is that our population will stabilize in five more years, at around one and a half million, most of them sustained through foreign food shipments. A million more will be relocated to refugee cities on one of Man'yoshu's worlds. Two hundred thousand people leave Port Sur every year. Another million will simply die of starvation. Our worst fear is that our nation itself will fall apart long before any of this. My government rules by fear, because there is no other way to hold our world together."

Indications of extreme grief symptoms, possible stress relative reactions, and 99.981% chance he is speaking the facts as he knows them directly.  Data's been un-cut, Sybil, but I'm not as good at reading people, especially with the bare intel procedures in FM-162-09 dated 2741, revision 17.  Could you see if you can get corroborating evidence. and forward it to Mom for her analysis?

If my evaluation is correct, we need to come up with a plan to help these people-it's our duty, and I'm tired of seeing worlds die and refuse to go along with it if there's ANYTHING I can do.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #56 on: 11 May 2017, 03:59:48 »
[[ More 'reminders' from readers needing a fix.... ]]

Quote from: Notsonoble, 04-01-2008, 11:00:24
wields pointy stick... *POKE*

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 04-01-2008, 13:37:37
Sorry, dude(s/dudettes): holidays, work, other stuff = Gio up to his eyeballs.  Soonish.  Maybe.  Hopefully:

The SD office expansion at work is settled, leaving me just two new PCs to set up at the moment that's out of the ordinary.
    I got my sister's VW running.  Finally.
    I got my VW running more or less OK.  For now.
    Holidays are over.
    One ex-GF flew back east last week, whilst the other one flies out on Saturday, bringing Yeti Mating Season to a close.
    A few other things that've cropped up the past couple weeks are nearly settled.

Quote from: Notsonoble, 04-01-2008, 17:13:36
Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 04-01-2008, 13:37:37
One ex-GF flew back east last week, whilst the other one flies out on Saturday, bringing Yeti Mating Season to a close.
If they're anything like the reoccurring females I finally got to stay away... that was probably the most involved, and stressful...

Quote from: Liam's Ghost, 04-01-2008, 19:09:32
Quote from: Notsonoble, 04-01-2008, 11:00:24
wields pointy stick... *POKE*
I've been pretty busy myself. Holidays, little sister problems, little sister problems during holidays, pent up emotional frustration (a desire to kill one person and kiss another), and a little bit of writers block...

I had something... something I was thinking would be pretty good when I got a chance to sit down and write it. Then I spent two days helping to move said little sister back home and... lost it somewhere. Trying to reconstruct, so far I haven't been happy with any of my attempts, so I've been painting minis because it helps me relax and think.

Plus I've been spending a lot of time playing with my two youngest nieces, helping them adjust to their current living space.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #57 on: 11 May 2017, 04:00:49 »
[[Posted by Liam's Ghost, 15-01-2008, 16:21:08]]

Sybil's sickbay...

"So what's really bothering you?" Tamiya asked. Willie almost wanted to laugh.

"Is it that obvious?"

"I admit I haven't known you that long, Professor," Tamiya explained. Up to the point of their meeting on the Keima, Tamiya had only known of Willie as a friend of his late father. "But I think I've known you long enough to realize that you usually don't care about the diplomatic questions. It's not like you to get this nervous."

"There's a lot at stake here," Willie pointed out.

"For Man'yoshu, the alliance, or you?"

This time, Willie actually did laugh. It kinda hurt. "All of the above," he replied. "They made me an offer."

"Took them long enough." Tamiya said, not the least bit surprised.

"I wasn't very forthcoming with my medical condition at first," Willie said. "I needed to know... I don't know what I needed to know, really. I needed to see if whatever came out of the proceedure would really be me."

"And will it?"

"I don't know," Willie said. "Logically, I figure these guys know what they're doing. They've done it more than once and they haven't screwed anything up. But... damnation, I don't know, and I don't have time to wait for the one person I need to talk to about this to show up." He restrained another laugh. "'Hi honey, nice to see you. By the way, I killed my human body making this electronic clone of myself.' I'm not sure how well she'll take that."

"And if you missed a chance to live a bit longer?"

"Yeah, I know." He'd already given up one chance at that by refusing Conrad's offer.

They sat there in silence for a while. It seemed that neither of them could figure out what to say.

"So the proceedure will kill you?" Tamiya asked.

"To get all of me, yeah," Willie replied. "They can run at a lower resolution, but... Some things may be lost. I won't accept that. It's all or nothing."

"I don't envy you. It can't be an easy choice to make."

"Hell no," Willie said. "I'm going to do it. I decided I was going to about when you walked in the door. It's worth the risk to be with her forever."

Tamiya looked... perplexed. "Okay... so..."

"Look, there are a lot of things that I'm afraid of here. Some of them I shouldn't be, but I am, because I'm human. Some of them I damn well should be. But I have to do this. I..."

This isn't like me. I don't usually just spill my guts like this. I wonder if it's the drugs.

"I had a chance, okay?" he said finally. "Professor Watters offered to have some of his friends on Terra look me over. He was pretty confident that they could do something, but I refused. I wouldn't do it. I let my pride take over, and now here I am. Somewhere, someone decided I get another chance at living past the new year. I can't throw this one away."

"All right," Tamiya said. "What do you need for me to do?"

Willie sighed, which also hurt a bit (everything hurt). "If this doesn't work, could you tell her what happened? Tell her... I don't know. Tell her I'm sorry. Try to explain why..."

"I will, Professor."

Quote from: cawest, 14-04-2008, 14:50:00
just wanted to ask for more please

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 15-04-2008, 09:50:25
Quote from: Liam's Ghost, 14-04-2008, 14:51:41
Oddly enough, I was just thinking of this story today.

but I decided to work on strangers in a strange land instead.  :p
Naughty little monkey. ;)

Hope to have some time in the near future to write the next part, which I see as Sybil and Willie starting the upload procedure.  I've been debating how I want to describe the process in my head.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #58 on: 11 May 2017, 04:03:06 »
[[Posted by Cannonshop, 15-04-2008, 21:29:58]]

Tabby...

Colonel Tanzarian somehow managed to find popcorn in the Galley.  "I don't know, Colonel..." Tabby said, as he brought the valueless and messy foodstuff into the converted briefing area. 

"Run it." he said.

"You're sure...I mean, the message..." she answered.

"It is a classic of pre-space literature-at least, according to the catalog you've got archived." he told her, "Besides, until we get an answer from your Commanding Officer, there is no preparation left we can do, and there's only so long people can sit there unburdening their souls.  A little Recreation is good for the sanity."

here, she sighed in a way that was almost human.  "Oh-kay... but I must remind you, we're going to be travelling for some time together, I don't need you to go all paranoid-psychotic on me..."

The lights dimmed, and the holostage lit.  The sounds of Classical music echoed, as the words "2001: a Space Odyssey" appeared.

Quote from: Trace Coburn, 15-04-2008, 22:45:12
Quote from: Cannonshop, 15-04-2008, 21:29:58
The sounds of Classical music echoed, as the words "2001: a Space Odyssey" appeared.
  Oh, this is going to do wonders for their 'can we really trust AIs?' issues.  :o

Either that, or someone's sense of humour is going to kick in and Tabby will have to put up with a string of "Open the pod bay doors" jokes for the next week.  ;D  (That is, assuming she doesn't actually 'accidentally' space someone in that time pour encourager les autres.   #P)

Quote from: Nerd, 26-04-2008, 13:00:21
I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that. . .

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #59 on: 11 May 2017, 04:04:59 »
[[Posted by Giovanni Blasini, 03-06-2008, 18:42:22]]

Sick Bay, SLS Sybil Ludington

To say Willie was somewhat surprised would be an understatement.  "You mean this wouldn't work without you?"

Rather than a colder medical drone, or disembodied voice, Sybil was sitting at "Professor Danaban's" bedside, using her physical avatar.  "Not particularly.  Lower-grade AIs can run lower-grade, less-precise mappings, which is how Admiral Dvarl's basic memories, and a bit of her personality, ended up in the AIs for the M-5 series drones,  However, it's not just about the processing power the AI possesses, but how it does its processing.  Human minds process information in a considerably different manner from me - you see the myriad streams of information, recognizing patterns,and drawing conclusions in a remarkable fashion.  You even have a term for those who aren't as capable of doing so, 'missing the forest for the trees'."

To that, Willie simply nodded.

"I do not do that.  I cannot do that.  Tabby sometimes can, but sometimes can't.  The neural scanning done then wasn't as good as later scanning, so the....holes in the Caspars minds got filled in with conventional code.  The end result worked well enough for a dedicated combat unit, but isn't stable enough for something as...delicate as scanning and manipulating individual neurons. It takes a high-grade purely-artificial AI such as myself to truly do that right."

Willie smiled.  "So, you couldn't exist without Noriko Murakami, and Noriko Murakami couldn't have, how did you call it, 'upload', without you?"

Sybil paused ever so briefly, then laughed.  "Pretty much.  Human offspring often take care of their parents during retirement, but I doubt this is what Mother had in mind."

Willie couldn't help but smile, as he thought to himself, "She's good, but Sybil's still not quite there.  I wonder if she's spent most of her time tailoring her responses to John....maybe Chobi can give her a few pointers, if I can somehow keep them from blowing the Inshoushi out of space.  Anyway..."  "So, I'm ready.  Let's go ahead and get this over with."

Sybil nodded.  "So, how are we going to do this?"

"We're going to go for broke.  We're not going to do this in half-steps.  My body's failing too quickly to do anything else.  It's time to change, to..."

"Upload fully?"

Willie shook his head.  "God, that term sounds so cold.  No, we need to call it something else.  Ascension, perhaps?  It's worringly close to a term the Word of Blake used, but seems appropriate."

"So it does.  Ascension, then."

"What happens next?"

Using her avatar, and a medical drone, Sybil maneuvered the modified neurohelmet assembly into position.  "I put this on you, and begin scanning.  Four hours later, you'll wake up to your new existence."

Shivering briefly as Willie felt the neurohelmet settle into position, he couldn't help but ask, "And in between?"

"According to Mother, and from what little John remembers, you'll pretty much see your life flash between your eyes, even things you'd much prefer stayed buried. Sometimes, it can be quite pleasant.  Other times, I understand, it can be absolutely awful.  But, at least, it shouldn't be dull."

"No," Willie replied, "I suppose it won't.  OK, I'm ready."

Sybil nodded.  "OK, then.  Let's begin."

Suddenly, everything Willie saw got strange.

Quote from: chanman, 04-06-2008, 14:37:21
Now is it strange because of the drugs, or despite the drugs?  And would they be strange-but-familiar or strange-and-unfamiliar?

So much depends on Willie's past history of recreational substance or lack thereof!

Quote from: Adjudicator, 04-06-2008, 15:53:51
Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 03-06-2008, 18:42:22
Sick Bay, SLS Sybil Ludington

Shivering briefly as Willie felt the neurohelmet settle into position, he couldn't help but ask, "And in between?"

"According to Mother, and from what little John remembers, you'll pretty much see your life flash between your eyes, even things you'd much prefer stayed buried. Sometimes, it can be quite pleasant.  Other times, I understand, it can be absolutely awful.  But, at least, it shouldn't be dull."

"No," Willie replied, "I suppose it won't.  OK, I'm ready."

Sybil nodded.  "OK, then.  Let's begin."

Suddenly, everything Willie saw got strange.

Wow... this is a stunning event to behold. Seeing "Life flash before one's eyes" is something I usually see in movies where a major character dies / about to die / near-encounter with death.

Furthermore, I am reminded of two of the DeathMessage from Starseige (An obscure 'Mech simulation game)

Quote from: Starseige Multiplayer

(Insert Killer's Name) gave (Insert Victim's name) an out-of-body experience.

(Insert Killer's Name) donated (Insert Victim's name) to Science.

Anyway, I believe that the author  Liam's Ghost will have the opportunity to further develop the backstory of Professor Danaban.

EDIT: Just remembered the earlier musing of Captain John Morgan earlier in the story, where he muses about "Am I still John Morgan, or am I just a perfect copy of the one who died?"

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 04-06-2008, 18:46:10
And that's the whole thing, Adjudicator: they *are* dying. That they're reborn is almost a separate issue, and whether they're still the same person is a major question.

Quote from: JediBear, 05-06-2008, 03:33:58
And that's the whole thing, Adjudicator: they *are* dying.
Speaking of which, how is the guy dying?

Murakami was murdered much after the fact, so it's not like the scan process is itself destructive.

Is he going to be around for a while while his condition runs his course, or is he to be euthanized?

That they're reborn is almost a separate issue, and whether they're still the same person is a major question.

When I really think about it, the question isn't really difficult to answer, the answer is just unsatisfying. There's a clear distinction between the original and the copy. To wit, you can sit them side by side and they're each capable of recognizing the other as a distinct entity. Only one is running on the original hardware, meaning that there's no real continuation of experience from the original to the copy.

Of course, the copy is real enough in and of itself, which makes the question largely academic.

The answer to John's question ("Am I real, or am I Memorex?") is basically an enthusiastic "yes!"

By the way, it's good to see a new installment. I'm thrilled enough that I might get back to work on The Devil.

Quote from: GBscientist, 05-06-2008, 04:27:20
Admiral Noriko Murakami's scan was done at normal resolution and power, which was a non-destructive process but left out some of her memories and personality, resulting in occasional lapses in the accuracy of her computer-simulated self.  Capt. John Morgan and Dr. William 'Danaban' Donovan underwent scans at the highest possible resolution and power, which destroyed the neurons being scanned but produced a near-perfect copy.  So, Danaban's 'original hardware' will be destroyed by the time his copy comes online, which is really no loss because he, like Morgan, was dying anyway.

Quote from: JediBear, 05-06-2008, 05:41:00
Right. With all the intervening time, I guess I'd forgotten.

So, basically, door #2.

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 07-06-2008, 03:53:32
Quote from: Worktroll, 06-06-2008, 23:30:13
Gio, have you read Greg Egan's Permutation City yet? Because of course a sentience running as an emulation on hardware has access to its own thought processes - debug mode, if you will ...
Not yet, no.  And, given the late SLDF's institutional paranoia towards AIs, especially just before Exodus, would you want to give Sybil that capability?

Quote from: Worktroll, 07-06-2008, 05:36:54
Sybil's nice.

Maggie's even more paranoid than the SLDF, though, no? ;)

Quote from: GiovanniBlasini, 07-06-2008, 07:50:47
Sybil is more than a bit neurotic, but, yes, she's nice.  Maggie?  She's why the SLDF is so paranoid about AIs.

Register