Author Topic: Connected Mechanized Force  (Read 2101 times)

sp111kg

• Corporal
  • Clan Wolf
Connected Mechanized Force
« on: 07 June 2017, 10:32:09 »
Hello all, just started Alpha Strike, and decided to make a Mechanized force.
I have a LRM heavy force (battletech TOW)
I was wondering if via customization of cards if I can add TAG or C3 to have my infantry be able to support each other via TAG,NARC, or C Systems. My command IFVS have C3 so was hoping to base it of that system.

Thanks for any reply.
sp111kg

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Connected Mechanized Force
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2017, 10:39:15 »
There is a single canon (conventional) infantry unit with TAG.
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/3149/tag-spotter-infantry-stalwart-support-spotter-infantry

The only way I know of for (conventional) infantry to have C3 is via cybernetics, and there's one example of that as well.
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/3166/tau-wraith-manei-domini-tau-wraith-recon-squad

There's no NARC option for (conventional) infantry.

If you're willing to go Battle Armor, you get a lot more options.
There's four with NARC.
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=&HasBV=false&MinTons=&MaxTons=&MinBV=&MaxBV=&MinIntro=&MaxIntro=&MinCost=&MaxCost=&HasRole=&HasBFAbility=NARC&MinPV=&MaxPV=&Role=None+Selected&BookAuto=&FactionAuto=&SubTypes=28&SubTypes=31&SubTypes=32&SubTypes=33&SubTypes=34&SubTypes=35&SubTypes=36&SubTypes=37&SubTypes=38&SubTypes=39

Fifteen with C3 (the Field gun unit listed is actually AC3..not C3..)
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=&HasBV=false&MinTons=&MaxTons=&MinBV=&MaxBV=&MinIntro=&MaxIntro=&MinCost=&MaxCost=&HasRole=&HasBFAbility=C3&MinPV=&MaxPV=&Role=None+Selected&BookAuto=&FactionAuto=&SubTypes=28&SubTypes=31&SubTypes=32&SubTypes=33&SubTypes=34&SubTypes=35&SubTypes=36&SubTypes=37&SubTypes=38&SubTypes=39

Twenty-three with TAG
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=&HasBV=false&MinTons=&MaxTons=&MinBV=&MaxBV=&MinIntro=&MaxIntro=&MinCost=&MaxCost=&HasRole=&HasBFAbility=TAG&MinPV=&MaxPV=&Role=None+Selected&BookAuto=&FactionAuto=&SubTypes=28&SubTypes=31&SubTypes=32&SubTypes=33&SubTypes=34&SubTypes=35&SubTypes=36&SubTypes=37&SubTypes=38&SubTypes=39

I don't have a good way to search for ones that have both, but spot checking I didn't find any that did (C3 and TAG for example).  But I'm not sure.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2017, 11:25:35 »
If you're willing to include battle armor, there are a few types out there with specials like c3, LTAG, ECM, etc.

sp111kg

• Corporal
  • Clan Wolf
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2017, 11:30:32 »
Thanks for the fast reply. Ill look into battle armor, though I would like to keep conventional infantry as the PV is 200.
sp111kg

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2017, 11:47:28 »
Battle armor and conventional infantry are comparatively costed per maneuver element  because the maneuver elements are a Squad for battle armor and a Platoon for conventional.  Otherwise they tend to be similarly tough and mobile, with an edge in movement versatility going to the armor.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

sp111kg

• Corporal
  • Clan Wolf
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2017, 12:23:03 »
Thanks again for the Help. I most likely will be adding a Battle Armor element into my forces. Seems to be worth the points if they can surive a few more hits.
Hopefully I understand my force as well as I think I am and Im not wasting PV on units that cant support each other. I figured my force has to be supportive of one another to stand a chance vrs brute fire power.
sp111kg

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2017, 12:40:07 »
Infantry do well under the same circumstances as they do in Boardgame/CBT.  Put them in buildings, and they're terrors to kill.

In fact, if you do this, your opponent will probably catch on that the easiest way to deal with them is to just raze the building they're occupying.  Make sure you watch the CFs on the buildings you're using as cover, and skedadle the turn before they run out :)

Also: anti-mech attacks are way more reliable than in Boardgame/CBT.  Easier to pull off, and at Alpha Strike's degree of granularity more devastating.  Put some infantry in fast APCs, and they become "KILL IT WITH FIRE" level of irritation to your opponent... giving your LRM carriers and such a possible reprieve from being fired upon.

sp111kg

• Corporal
  • Clan Wolf
« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2017, 10:37:18 »
Infantry do well under the same circumstances as they do in Boardgame/CBT.  Put them in buildings, and they're terrors to kill.

In fact, if you do this, your opponent will probably catch on that the easiest way to deal with them is to just raze the building they're occupying.  Make sure you watch the CFs on the buildings you're using as cover, and skedadle the turn before they run out :)

Also: anti-mech attacks are way more reliable than in Boardgame/CBT.  Easier to pull off, and at Alpha Strike's degree of granularity more devastating.  Put some infantry in fast APCs, and they become "KILL IT WITH FIRE" level of irritation to your opponent... giving your LRM carriers and such a possible reprieve from being fired upon.

Im hoping that my 2 units with anti mech attacks can do damage. All my IFVS move 12 inhces so im counting on quick strikes and hit hard and fast. What they dont kill ill have my LRM forces take care of. As for the terrain I feel like it will be open terrain vrs the Stalingrad like game we had at first.
sp111kg

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 08 June 2017, 11:00:04 »
Just remember that your antimech attackers aren't going to actually kill very much... the free crits are what they do for you.  And the threat of getting armor-penetrating free crits will ensure that your opponent will move heaven and earth to make sure your APCs and anti-mech infantry die for what they did.  You will almost assuredly lose them to warcrime-level overkill directed their way.. but the distraction factor they bring to your toolbox is quite valuable.  Oh and if at all possible make sure your anti-mech infantry are battlearmor... conventional infantry with the AM special can attempt it, but they get an additional +3 to the TN that battle armor don't...

If you're going to do a heavy infantry force fighting a defensive battle, you might also look into some artillery and/or field gun crews as well.  Particularly if you're going to have a lot of terrain in which to hide them in/behind.  And speaking of hiding... see if your opponent is down for the hidden units optional rules :)
« Last Edit: 08 June 2017, 11:02:14 by Tai Dai Cultist »

StingerTheRaven

• Private
  • Vroom
« Reply #9 on: 08 June 2017, 17:03:19 »
and/or field gun crews as well.

And if you fight by MUL listings only, break down and sob as you realize that they only have one field gun platoon statted up. Of course, if you're using custom units, then this can be avoided, but otherwise you're kinda stuck if you don't have ultra high-damage BA on hand.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2017, 17:05:18 by StingerTheRaven »

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 08 June 2017, 17:37:49 »
And if you fight by MUL listings only, break down and sob as you realize that they only have one field gun platoon statted up. Of course, if you're using custom units, then this can be avoided, but otherwise you're kinda stuck if you don't have ultra high-damage BA on hand.

In all fairness, at Alpha Strike's level of granularity other kinds of field gun platoons aren't going to have stats much different than that one.

StingerTheRaven

• Private
  • Vroom
« Reply #11 on: 08 June 2017, 20:23:14 »
Mechanized? Gauss Rifles? RACs? Really big UACs? They're only really damage stat variety, yes, but even then it's not like they'll be exactly like those LACs. (well, maybe UACs, i've never checked..)

Kinda wish they had some generic field guns like they do most every other infantry platoon type. Maybe I'll just have to try it myself, or convert from megamek or something..

Register