Author Topic: MASC , PPC Capacitors, and Superchargers  (Read 1984 times)

Col Toda

• Captain
MASC , PPC Capacitors, and Superchargers
« on: 14 June 2017, 21:04:50 »
All these systems will inflict damage to your combat unit at some point . When do you decide that the capability outweighs the risk of system failure. For instance the Anvil 8 M clearly installed MASC to close the range of it's Arrow IV launcher to within 17 hexes and on board range as quickly as possible. During the Dark Age the Radical Heat Sink system is added to the list. The Anvil 8 M is the only stock mech with MASC that benefit clearly outweighs the risk of system failure. Superchargers are better functionally but costs a lot more. So much of the game revolves around mercenary work , I believe most employers would object to paying for Support for self inflicted damage . With that in mind how much would you field . For me , my limit is 4 units in 4 companies with it in mind that I would bear the full cost to fix and repair. Has anyone else come across this ? Does anyone average more than 1 such unit in a company ? If so did it cost you too much?

danumphrey

• Recruit
Re: MASC , PPC Capacitors, and Superchargers
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2017, 06:23:00 »
Same as when I decide that the capability of ammunition, Gauss rifles, XL engines, or anything else that causes a vulnerability is worth it.

ajcbm

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2017, 10:00:34 »
Nothing is more expensive than defeat.

Frankly, winning is the main goal. Expenses are taken into account provided you can win first.

As for risk, I believe rolling a 2 with 2 dice is the acceptable ratio.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2017, 17:03:15 »
I will use any and all of them.  The only one I have to debate the merits of is the PPC capacitor and if a design can manage the additional heat from it effectively.  MASC is the, IMO, the riskiest of the bunch as it will likely debilitate your biggest asset, speed, by at least a factor of one or more.  The others are a step closer to shutdown, but can be mitigated.  Damage actuators, no so much.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2017, 02:45:14 »
Capacitors are worthless on vehicles, but there was a comment I read here of the forums about the time that IO came that MASC and Superchargers aren't as bad as they appear, it's possible that you can drop the failure number to below 2

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2017, 10:21:50 »
Capacitors are worthless on vehicles

That's not true. You can make your light PPC into a regular PPC every other turn for just a ton on some vehicles.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Shin Ji

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2017, 10:57:39 »
Superchargers are so light that the only real concern in adding one is the expense (which is substantial).  But since having that extra movement might help you close ranks with the enemy that much faster, or get to cover when you otherwise wouldn't, why not have it?

It's the sort of thing a Merc with some extra cash wants to have, but a military would very much balk at.

JenniferinaMAD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 20 June 2017, 07:10:37 »
That's not true. You can make your light PPC into a regular PPC every other turn for just a ton on some vehicles.

Don't vehicles have to mount single heat sinks equal to their max energy weapons heat output?
So unless the 10 free sinks cover you (ie, you're looking at a single LPPC on a fusion vee), it's going to be more than just 1 ton to put a capacitor on a vehicle, unless I'm mistaken?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 20 June 2017, 07:30:17 »
Yup, but there are fusion vehicles that are/could be mounting a single LPPC. In those situations capacitors aren't 'worthless'.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 23 June 2017, 02:54:11 »
Even in those cases chances are that a ER ML is going to be the better choice, slightly less range, but you get those 5 extra damage every turn

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #10 on: 23 June 2017, 04:18:18 »
Even in those cases chances are that a ER ML is going to be the better choice, slightly less range, but you get those 5 extra damage every turn

Requiring a second to-hit roll, requiring a second location roll, wasted in any turn you break LOS.....

Register