Author Topic: TRO: Succession Wars (yes, you can buy it now)  (Read 35461 times)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Re: TRO: Succession Wars (yes, you can buy it now)
« Reply #30 on: 22 July 2017, 20:48:28 »
So I move that who ever did the Thunderbolt and Battlemaster art now has to go back and do all the old art. They look phenomenal.

I'd love to see Anthony Scroggins and David White redo all the old art, and have Plog fix his early designs.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #31 on: 22 July 2017, 20:55:57 »
no macross designs (at least at first glance). no quads. no osts besides the Ostscout... Lots of questions there.

No Macross designs?

Adrian, sorry for poking what might be a bad thing to poke, but what's the reason no Macross designs?  It's not like we don't have lineart for some of them; is that changing again?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #32 on: 22 July 2017, 20:59:43 »
I'd love to see Anthony Scroggins and David White redo all the old art, and have Plog fix his early designs.

They are taking commissions if you want to go for it.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #33 on: 22 July 2017, 21:09:45 »
I am aware of that. But it wouldn't change the art in the books, would it?
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #34 on: 22 July 2017, 21:27:21 »
missing my point but I'll drop it.

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #35 on: 22 July 2017, 21:28:40 »
Two questions I have on the book

1. (getting the easier and probably more likely to be answered one out of the way) Was the non-inclusion of the new variants of the Thud from 2SW just due to a time crunch, an oversight, or was it intentional (as they weren't all that common to begin with according to the shiny new canon of 2SW) and can easily be explained as ComStar's records not being as complete as everyone thinks they are  ;)

2. Echoing ANS Kamas P81's question -- is there any rationale that can be offered for the non-inclusion of the Classics that replaced the Macross Unseen? It'd definitely help tamp down a bit of fan paranoia...

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #36 on: 22 July 2017, 21:29:38 »
Got the PDF.  CANNOT wait for the Hardcopy.  I mean, I know it's Mechs we're all already familiar with, but considering I currently don't have most of the TROs (and that my brother's copies of most of them are older versions), I am SERIOUSLY digging this one.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #37 on: 22 July 2017, 21:50:00 »

There are a LOT of mechs I didn't expect to see in a TRO called the succession wars, which is always a bonus. I expect my periphery brothers to be up in arms over the failure of the Toro to make an appearance.  :P

Not up in arms over the Toro's absence , but I am surprised considering the Talos is in there.

And I'm jumping for joy over the new Flea and my beloved Rampage being in there.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #38 on: 22 July 2017, 21:51:51 »
Not up in arms over the Toro's absence , but I am surprised considering the Talos is in there.

And I'm jumping for joy over the new Flea and my beloved Rampage being in there.

was the dragoon in there?

Phoenix and Rampage but no Dragoon. Did it come and go too fast to be worth including?
« Last Edit: 22 July 2017, 21:55:47 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #39 on: 22 July 2017, 22:00:37 »
There is only one omission that REALLY irks me.  And I understand WHY it was omitted, but it just screams "missed opportunity" to me.  (And probably only me.)

Rifleman II.  We could've had official art!

"JK, you are literally the only one on the planet who cares about that Mech."
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 22 July 2017, 22:13:06 »
There is only one omission that REALLY irks me.  And I understand WHY it was omitted, but it just screams "missed opportunity" to me.  (And probably only me.)

Rifleman II.  We could've had official art!

"JK, you are literally the only one on the planet who cares about that Mech."

I never cared for the idea of up-tonned variants but since it exists and is considerably more massive... yeah, it needs art. That said, omitting it from this TRO makes sense since the 'Mech was presumably rather rare in the first place, it is likely all Rifleman IIs were taken by the Exodus, and the TRO lacks standard Rifleman too...

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 22 July 2017, 22:24:43 »
Not the same thing. None of the classics included in the book originated with Macross.

Third Star League confirmed.
I wonder if these are somehow connected, like telling us which designs the Third League considers important, or maybe it's telling us which designs aren't in use anymore (Likely the ones in this book)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #42 on: 22 July 2017, 22:30:28 »
I wonder if these are somehow connected, like telling us which designs the Third League considers important, or maybe it's telling us which designs aren't in use anymore (Likely the ones in this book)

Nope. The introduction mentions a modern (3250) character using a Thunderbolt.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #43 on: 22 July 2017, 22:36:17 »
A few omissions from the book I noticed. Probably space concerns.

Hornet
Toro
Wyvern
Alfar (the Talos was included from Reunification War)
Champion
Crossbow
Ostwar
Caesar
Helepolis (probably due to artillery)
Mauler

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #44 on: 22 July 2017, 23:02:27 »
Beyond that shock of an introduction.... what else stands out?
Is the art for the Galahad new? I don't recognize it...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: 22 July 2017, 23:04:19 »

I think the art and the writeup are new.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 22 July 2017, 23:04:26 »
Yeah, new, depicting the older variant rather than the Gauss variant.

The Banshee has new art, specifically for the BNS-3S variant, the early 31st century slow and heavily armed one.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #47 on: 22 July 2017, 23:19:31 »
Are the various write-ups taken from the previous TROs for the most part? Any of the Notable Warriors new?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 22 July 2017, 23:20:48 »
Are the various write-ups taken from the previous TROs for the most part? Any of the Notable Warriors new?
The Flea, which is a new variant and has new art, also has new pilot while the other one is from TRO 3039, i think.

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 22 July 2017, 23:30:20 »
It looks to me like the Flea, Galahad, and Banshee are new writeups and new art. The rest of the writeups, I believe, are recycled.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #50 on: 22 July 2017, 23:50:48 »
It looks to me like the Flea, Galahad, and Banshee are new writeups and new art. The rest of the writeups, I believe, are recycled.

If I haven't seen them, they're new to me!   ;)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #51 on: 22 July 2017, 23:53:59 »
Are physical books coming, or is it going to be a 'take the PDF to you local printer' bit if you want that?
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #52 on: 22 July 2017, 23:54:52 »
Are physical books coming, or is it going to be a 'take the PDF to you local printer' bit if you want that?

it will receive the full physical treatment, yes

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #53 on: 22 July 2017, 23:55:50 »
Sweet.  Three new books to add to the collection  ;D ;D 8)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 23 July 2017, 00:04:29 »
I *think* it was mentioned up thread that the new BMM and TRO were meant to be part of the beginner experience. Unless that was a fan judgement... don't recall which. I do know that Adrian said the TRO was going to print. I think... another year older today, another fuzzier memory...

ChrystalNiNja88

• Corporal
  • THE WORD, THE WORD, THE WORD....
« Reply #55 on: 23 July 2017, 00:43:33 »
 Been perusing the TRO. So far looks nice, and the new art for the Galahad, Flea, etc. were nice surprises, as well as the 3250 intro. I'm excited to see how the Inner Sphere pot has been simmering since our new Overlords took over. :)

The only gripes I have, like anyone else, is the lack of of the 'Macross' designs. Also, the lack of LAMs. I know it's just me and that their rules far exceed the BattleMech Manual's scope, but their inclusion would have tickled my fancy. The ravages of the Succession Wars made them a notable victim for me.
Socket to me! -Robot Nixon

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #56 on: 23 July 2017, 01:18:19 »
I *think* it was mentioned up thread that the new BMM and TRO were meant to be part of the beginner experience. Unless that was a fan judgement... don't recall which. I do know that Adrian said the TRO was going to print. I think... another year older today, another fuzzier memory...

I've been saying that, and I am just a fan, but I can connect the dots. O0

Highball

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #57 on: 23 July 2017, 02:37:12 »
Very disappointed with this. If I had known that iconic Mech's would be COMPLETELY OMITTED; aka the Rifleman, Marauder, Warhammer, All the Ost Mech's, Stinger, Wasp, etc etc etc, then I would not have bothered to purchase it. Serious buyers remorse.
Marshal Russell Trest Oberlan. "War to the sword ..... the sword to the hilt!"

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #58 on: 23 July 2017, 04:03:40 »
There is a new Flea variant. I am strrangely excited by this.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #59 on: 23 July 2017, 05:55:03 »
The new Flea, Galahad and Banshee art along with the Classics was definitely nice to see. That the entries were verbatim and not new 3250 look backs like I naively assumed was less enjoyable to see.

But the Introduction reminds me that I need to stop getting so negatively worked up about something that is meant to be a hobby for enjoyment.