Author Topic: TRO Succession Wars and Harmony Gold  (Read 230030 times)

Charistoph

• Major
Re: TRO Succession Wars and Harmony Gold
« Reply #1110 on: 13 December 2017, 21:10:37 »
Exactly, but judges have done plenty of bizarre things before (and for the sake of Rule 4 I will not mention them), so I'm just saying keep the champagne on chilled and ready, but don't pop the corks just yet. We've gotta see how Judge Zilly rules first.

Indeed they have.  Some have even allowed some very crazy evidence and considered it perfectly viable.  Others have even denied perfectly valid evidence.  Of course, that leaves things open for being appealed.  Most judges don't care for having their cases repealed, while others feel it is their duty to do what they consider right and hang law and precedence.

I wonder if theres a civil equivalent of right to speedy trial?

"Speedy" is a relative term.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1111 on: 14 December 2017, 00:14:29 »
considering it's the judge's job to call all bluffs, I wish them well.
Judges in modern western courts aren't there to find out the truth, one of the things we've lost since the Roman Empire.

"Speedy" is a relative term.
It all sort of depends upon how much stuff you're lawyer pulls.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #1112 on: 14 December 2017, 02:47:18 »
Judges in modern western courts aren't there to find out the truth, one of the things we've lost since the Roman Empire.
That depends. In my country, penal and administrative courts are "inquisitory" (?) courts, i.e. they're obliged to seek the actual truth behind the case they decide. By contrast, civil courts are to decide the case as put forth by the parties (with a few exceptions in special cases), and have no authority to investigate the matter further, as the parties themselves have to decide about what goes to court. Whenever a relevant fact is in dispute between the parties, the burden of proof is usually on whoever bases a claim on the disputed fact.
There was a somewhat famous case iirc a couple of years ago where two law professors brought a faux case before court, to enforce a court decision on a perceived problem in a law that was recently passed. Everyone knew it was made up but I think the court still had to decide it. I remember the discussion but not the actual outcome.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #1113 on: 14 December 2017, 09:16:28 »
Ladies and gentlemen, this particular stompy robot forum is not the place to hold a discussion of the place and role of courts in western society and jurisprudence.  If you want to discuss that, please do that somewhere other than the official CGL BattleTech forums.

In addition, please remain on topic in this thread and remain civil when addressing each other.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #1114 on: 14 December 2017, 21:12:12 »
Anyone else nervous about tomorrow?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #1115 on: 14 December 2017, 21:20:21 »
Maybe? I'm resigned to things going wrong, but if they go right, I'm iffy on how I'll budget a feast day after all the money I've spent on gifts.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1116 on: 14 December 2017, 21:22:37 »
Gotta back LG on this one. I am assuming the worst and don't have the hope so many others do.
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1117 on: 14 December 2017, 21:27:09 »
Pessimism is the superior option.  You either get the satisfaction of being right or being pleasantly surprised.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #1118 on: 14 December 2017, 21:32:16 »

Not nervous, but cautiously optimistic. There's still a lot that could go wrong, but that wrong just means that the trial goes forward and HG is going to have to put up or shut up once and for all. However, if it goes right, they're gone forever.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #1119 on: 14 December 2017, 21:35:51 »
I'm not nervous. Either we go back to what we've dealt with for the last couple years, or we finally are free of a yoke.

Being the person I am, I'm expecting a positive outcome tomorrow.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1120 on: 14 December 2017, 21:41:31 »

Not me. Look, there's two key facts here. One, these designs are not copies of the Macross/Robotech machines. Two, Harmony Gold does not own the copyrights to those designs anyway. Of course HG is responding with whatever they can to keep the case alive, but the truth is on PGI's side. PGI's lawyers are certainly confident enough in their case that they're breaking with the usual routine for lawsuits.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #1121 on: 14 December 2017, 21:47:22 »
Even without a dismissal, the default would be to go ahead with the legal process as normal, wouldn't it? I am 100% for getting a favorable result sooner, rather than later, but lack of dismissal doesn't seem like the end of the world here.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1122 on: 14 December 2017, 21:52:20 »
Even without a dismissal, the default would be to go ahead with the legal process as normal, wouldn't it? I am 100% for getting a favorable result sooner, rather than later, but lack of dismissal doesn't seem like the end of the world here.

This is correct.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1123 on: 14 December 2017, 21:56:29 »
No, the end of the world may be that the 15th is no longer the dismissal date, but the 22nd. If I m reading this correctly anyway.

Docket #70
NOTICE that the following is RE-NOTED:47 MOTION for Summary Judgment As to Lack of Standing to Assert Copyright Claim . Filed by Defendant Piranha Games, Inc.. Noting Date 12/22/2017, (Meyer, Ryan)

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1124 on: 14 December 2017, 22:14:30 »
Pessimism is the superior option.  You either get the satisfaction of being right or being pleasantly surprised.

I'm not sure you understand what pessimism actually is...

But I think that a simple, neutral approach is best here. Best way to face this is without expectation, that way you can either be overjoyed or nothing at all.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1125 on: 14 December 2017, 22:37:14 »
No, the end of the world may be that the 15th is no longer the dismissal date, but the 22nd. If I m reading this correctly anyway.

Docket #70

A day, a week, doesn't matter. I am pretty confident here.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1126 on: 15 December 2017, 00:09:18 »
According to the civil rules for that particular district court, just to explain some legal terms.  It's a big document, sourced here:
http://www.wawd.uscourts.gov/sites/wawd/files/LocalCivilRules_Dec17_2012.pdf

The noting date is the date by which all briefing is complete and the matter is ready for the court’s consideration, although the court may not issue a ruling on that day.

All motions will be decided as soon as practicable, and normally within thirty days following the noting date.

Except for same day motions, all other motions shall be noted for consideration on a Friday.*

Third and Fourth Friday Motions. Motions to dismiss, motions for summary judgment**
So basically the noting day is a time when everything has to be done and in for the court to go over, though that may or may not include preliminary meetings with the attorneys or even a beginning of the case.  It looks to be that it's a hard date of sorts for the final decision process to begin, at least for whatever motions are made - there's opportunity prior to that date to handle responses to objections and other motions, so it certainly seems as if there's some active trial work going on at the time.

*Curious that they only handle motions like these on Fridays, leaving M-Th for the rest of the major business and 'mopping up the little things' just before the weekend.  Interesting work schedule idea.

**Highlighted as these are the actual motions in question, the Summary Judgement and all the responses since, that have to be in and dated by the 22nd.  It should also be noted that the only Fridays available in December based on this rule are the 15th and 22nd.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1127 on: 15 December 2017, 03:05:48 »
Until you put it in the hands of a jury and then all bets are off.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1128 on: 15 December 2017, 05:44:44 »
According to the civil rules for that particular district court, just to explain some legal terms.  It's a big document, sourced here:
http://www.wawd.uscourts.gov/sites/wawd/files/LocalCivilRules_Dec17_2012.pdf
So basically the noting day is a time when everything has to be done and in for the court to go over, though that may or may not include preliminary meetings with the attorneys or even a beginning of the case.  It looks to be that it's a hard date of sorts for the final decision process to begin, at least for whatever motions are made - there's opportunity prior to that date to handle responses to objections and other motions, so it certainly seems as if there's some active trial work going on at the time.

*Curious that they only handle motions like these on Fridays, leaving M-Th for the rest of the major business and 'mopping up the little things' just before the weekend.  Interesting work schedule idea.

**Highlighted as these are the actual motions in question, the Summary Judgement and all the responses since, that have to be in and dated by the 22nd.  It should also be noted that the only Fridays available in December based on this rule are the 15th and 22nd.

Thank you, your diligence in research is really helping this thread.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #1129 on: 15 December 2017, 06:47:47 »
Until you put it in the hands of a jury and then all bets are off.

That right there is my main worry. A jury.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #1130 on: 15 December 2017, 14:47:33 »
Minus points for facebook, but someone on there mentioned in the running thread on this subject that this was in the can for us anyways, because the company that owns Catalyst did not respond themselves to the litigation. What?

That makes no sense to me. I think they are full of it.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #1131 on: 15 December 2017, 15:06:37 »
Minus points for facebook, but someone on there mentioned in the running thread on this subject that this was in the can for us anyways, because the company that owns Catalyst did not respond themselves to the litigation. What?

That makes no sense to me. I think they are full of it.

Yes and no. On the one hand, CGL has not responded for reasons unknown to the case and so was given a summary default judgement. On the other hand, it is not a fatal blow (just looks outwardly irresponsible), as if PGI can get a summary dismissal for the case, the judgement would dissolve, IINM. Even if the case goes to trial, it's not fatal, as far as I know, to the case.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #1132 on: 15 December 2017, 16:27:32 »
Ladies and gentlemen, please stick to discussion of the facts of this case, without getting into ancillary issues like jury conduct.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1133 on: 15 December 2017, 17:07:50 »
Do we have any details from PACER on just what the default entails?  Was it merely a response issue or something deeper as far as IMR is concerned?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1134 on: 15 December 2017, 23:15:05 »
run of the mill default judgement in favor of HG. I don't think anything else will be settled until something happens in the case against PGI/HBS. If CGL has retained a lawyer this may be what they are waiting for before they reenter the fight (if the Judge/Jury goes in favor of defendants)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #1135 on: 16 December 2017, 05:33:34 »
Lets hope not, I hope HG gets slapped round the face with a legal brick about this.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Dohon

• Corporal
  • Beware the bear!
« Reply #1136 on: 16 December 2017, 07:47:19 »
Lets hope not, I hope HG gets slapped round the face with a legal brick about this.

Not only that, but just having all this ... mess be over with. For good this time. That will make me celebrate.

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #1137 on: 21 December 2017, 13:55:33 »
My main concern is that from what I have been reading Catalyst and Harebrained have gone cheap on legal representation.
The guys behind Mechwarrior Online have forked out for proper legal counsel.

Not buying into the legal system is rarely a good idea and can easily backfire on you even if you have a logical case to clearly defend.

Now litigation costs in the US are steep, and steeper yet in corporate cases, and are tantamoun to a tax, you lose out if you don't pay.  Nevertheless Catalyst and Harebrained have erred heavily by lowballing these expenses even if they can piggyback to some degree on the legal work of Piranha games

I frankly think that going cheap is what cost FASA fair justice, back in the day and Battletech has suffered ever since.  Perhaps the alleged relationship between Harmony Gold, Tatsunoko and Big West regarding IP franchising that Piranha Games legal team has discovered could have ben discovered two decades ago.  Wecan but speculate.

Why say this? FASA didnt have the money for lawyers neither does Catalyst.  It is true that it is  a common tactic to tailor corporate litigation to drain out the resources of a smaller company, perhaps that is what Harmony Gold has been counting on all this time.  Legal fees have broken companies bigger than FASA and Catalyst.

I make my point because there is another way.  What Harebrained, Catalyst and possibly FASA has failed to realise is that they are well liked companies providing a service to fans, which garners more product loyalty than mere customers.  If my favourite soft drink or chocolate company went under I might miss the product but life goes on, if someone took away my Battletech and I would be upset about it, so would a lot of you.  Again that might not matter in the big scheme of things, customer or fans, they are both the same when it comes to fiscal matters.  However some fans are also lawyers, and this is where it get interesting.

Do you remember the Games Workshop vs Chapterhouse lawsuit?  Gamesworkshop was a litigious giant, making vague claims to IP ( though in my opinion less vague than what we have seen by Harmony Gold) and unlike Harmony Gold nobody can accuse GW of squatting on its IP.  Games Worshop also has dedicated fans of its own, especiaally now post management shake up.  However it also had enemies in the gaming community in its darker days, and some of those enemies were also lawyers.

Chapterhouse got the legal coverage at the price it had because many of the representing lawyers were gamers with an axe to grind about GW's corporate methods and were able to convince their partners to support Chapterhouse pro bono.
Were it not for that Chapterhouse would have been bullied financially and would have has to come to terms from fiscal pressures long before the merits of the case could be discussed.

FASA died long before the Chapterhouse case and can be forgiven for not forseeing this opportunity.  After all choosing lawyers because they are gamers sounds unprofessional frankly.  But it can work.  So here is where the error in lowballing legal support for Catalyst and Harebrained Schemes is avoidable, and lowballing is a generous term here, if the reports I have been reading are correct one of the above hasn't even got any more than token legal support at all.  I do hope that this is wrong.

Anyway, I do not think interested parties would need to go far to find a competent lawyer who remembers playing Battletech, said lawyer might not be happy about the way the fiasco with the Unseen has gone down and might agree to provide legal representation pro bono, for the mutual benefit of taking down Harmony Gold and their BS, and claim their fees from them if successful.  Stranger things have happened, and one can but try.

One additional point about Games Workshop vs Chapterhouse case.  Chapterhouse made a very good meal out of demands for specificity* from Games workshop which proved very difficult for GW to answer.  Even from an amateur eye I can see similar mileage for Catalyst and Harebrained Schemes if this goes to court, and Harmony Golds case looks a lot weaker than Games Workshop's, who lost many of their points in the court settlement by the way.

* Please look this up for yourselves.
« Last Edit: 21 December 2017, 14:01:14 by Von Jankmon »
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1138 on: 21 December 2017, 13:58:41 »
CGL has not been particularly interested in crowdfunding before, for a variety of reasons. They get to make their own calls. They also have access to information we don't.

Besides, it's their asses on the line, not mine or yours. I expect they're exquisitely aware of the extent to which they're liable for anything in the case of a negative outcome.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #1139 on: 21 December 2017, 15:23:43 »
my question is I wonder if we will hear anything tomorrow, or if HG has filed more stuff requesting more delays so that they can rewrite history more?