Author Topic: Aviation Pictures Part Trois  (Read 194486 times)

Easy

• Warrant Officer
Re: Aviation Pictures Part Trois
« Reply #360 on: 17 October 2017, 12:57:13 »
That's pretty close to the firestorm to be stopping to take pictures, but what a shot.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #361 on: 17 October 2017, 13:42:46 »
Both the photographer and the pilot have a set of large brass cojones if you ask me.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #362 on: 17 October 2017, 14:37:33 »
Awesome photo of that Avro dropping stuff.

Here is the largest thing fighting the fires.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #363 on: 19 October 2017, 07:53:21 »
de Havilland Mosquito loaded for bear

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #364 on: 19 October 2017, 13:23:53 »
Bear? Looks more like loaded for Tiger...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #365 on: 19 October 2017, 15:49:34 »
maybe it's a post WW2 image?

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #366 on: 19 October 2017, 15:55:20 »
I would love to see the RAF intercept the next Bear to test the air space with the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - a Spitfire on each side mounting the interception
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #367 on: 19 October 2017, 17:20:34 »
I would love to see the RAF intercept the next Bear to test the air space with the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - a Spitfire on each side mounting the interception

Well, there's no way in hell they could intercept it. The Bear is faster than either by nearly 200 mph.
I have spoken.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #368 on: 19 October 2017, 19:02:51 »

There is more than one way to skin a cat Bear
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #369 on: 19 October 2017, 19:26:43 »
Well, there's no way in hell they could intercept it. The Bear is faster than either by nearly 200 mph.

That many prop blades spinning, it's a much faster bird than it looks for sure.

Meanwhile, here's one carrying the largest air-to-surface missile ever put in service, the AS-3 'Kangaroo' under a Bear. The caption is quite apt here. (Kangaroo, by the way, was an absolute lemon of a weapon in terms of accuracy, but had a warhead big enough to put a hole in whatever it hit. It also is roughly the size of an American F-5 fighter.)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #370 on: 19 October 2017, 19:46:06 »
Meanwhile, here's one carrying the largest air-to-surface missile ever put in service, the AS-3 'Kangaroo' under a Bear. The caption is quite apt here. (Kangaroo, by the way, was an absolute lemon of a weapon in terms of accuracy, but had a warhead big enough to put a hole in whatever it hit. It also is roughly the size of an American F-5 fighter.)
It's also monstrously loud.  Remember the Thunderscreech?  The Tu-95 is four of those things in close formation.

Also, the AS-3 was made in the era when "minute of city" was an acceptable measurement of accuracy...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #371 on: 19 October 2017, 20:26:38 »
The Tu-95 Bear and it's off shoots family's have a very unquie design feature. It's the only prop planet in service that had swept back wings. All other props have straight wings. Which is kinda funny because some of the Selling points of the Q400 high speed turbo prop has a straight wing and a cruising speed about 150 mph less then the old Tu95 turboprop.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #372 on: 19 October 2017, 21:30:50 »
It also is roughly the size of an American F-5 fighter.

Or, to be more accurate, pretty much the same size as a Su-7, on which it was based IIRC. It certainly shared an engine with the earlier Fitters.

Also, it took 24 hours to prepare an AS-3 for use, which handicapped it as a first-strike weapon.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #373 on: 20 October 2017, 13:14:01 »
Can someone please explain to me why I like the Gripen so much? I mean, I'm American, and grew up with the F-16, which is similar in many ways, and probably the better plane in a number of key areas. Still, if you stuck me in a flight suit and said I could only pilot one of the two, I'd pick the Gripen. You can even keep your Rafales and Typhoons. They don't 'do it' for me like the Gripen. What the heck is wrong with me? Now, if it was a choice between an F-15 and  Gripen...well that is a different matter.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #374 on: 20 October 2017, 13:22:28 »
you recognize beauty when you see it?  ^-^

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #375 on: 20 October 2017, 13:23:42 »
Because it's so cute! [neko]

Arguably the Gripen is also the cheaper plane to operate, but that wouldn't matter unless you had to pay for it yourself... ^-^ More importantly I think the Gripen outmaneuvers all versions of the Falcon.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #376 on: 20 October 2017, 13:30:06 »
... You can even keep your Rafales and Typhoons...
...yes, yes you need help.

:))

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #377 on: 20 October 2017, 14:01:35 »
You can all keep your deltas and canards. Especially your canards. Tailplanes belong on the back. Give me twin engines, twin tails, and tailplanes where they're supposed to be!

I have spoken.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #378 on: 20 October 2017, 14:11:11 »
You forgot one

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #379 on: 20 October 2017, 14:14:13 »
And another ...

* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #380 on: 20 October 2017, 14:42:29 »
Nah, Gripen's a great little bird. Saab knows their stuff when it comes to designing top of the line warplanes, and after its early teething problems (the kind that would make V-22 pilots worry even) it's become one of the premier fighters out there.

It's also one of very few modern designs to have a single engine, which allows it to be smaller, and to be a sight less expensive than neighbors like Rafale, Flanker, Typhoon, etc.- no small consideration for smaller air forces. (I suspect any thoughts Saab may have had about dual-engines were met with flat 'no' replies from the Swedish Air Force, with their accountants holding rolling pins behind them menacingly)

If anything, thanks to its effectiveness vs. bang for the buck, it's surprising that it hasn't had a wider foreign sales opportunity. Particularly with the F-35's continued problems, one would think countries might start kicking the tires on alternatives at this point, Gripen being an excellent choice.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #381 on: 20 October 2017, 14:43:50 »
ah, the A-10 Warthog

a plane only a mother and some ground forces could love*

*The British Army are generally not such a huge fan I believe

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #382 on: 20 October 2017, 14:53:37 »
Canadians have had similar issues with the Plastic Bug. I do state I hated it long before that.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #383 on: 20 October 2017, 15:34:02 »
If anything, thanks to its effectiveness vs. bang for the buck, it's surprising that it hasn't had a wider foreign sales opportunity. Particularly with the F-35's continued problems, one would think countries might start kicking the tires on alternatives at this point, Gripen being an excellent choice.
Richer countries with the money (and connections) to buy F-35s know what's good about that jet - barring 1 vacillating exception, they're unlikely to back off especially now the program is actually delivering results.

Poorer countries are indeed quite attracted to the Gripen's price tag, but are leery of buying a single-engine jet - yes, its cheaper, but a 1-engine jet that develops midflight engine trouble is a written-off jet, and poor countries can't afford many such write-offs. For the same reason its hard to countenance sending the Gripen on sea missions*, and again, poor countries need multi-role combat aircraft capable of doing all kinds of ops everywhere.

*or over vast stretches of desert, or Arctic tundra, in the case of aforementioned vacillating exception

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #384 on: 20 October 2017, 15:58:06 »

It has happened, to some extent. Brazil decided to buy a couple dozen Gripens a year or two ago, and Rafales and Typhoons have been sold in small numbers to Egypt and Quatar, if the internet is to be believed. However, I think the real winner is the F-16 and somewhat the F-18. A number of US allies are already invested in those planes, and are still interested in buying more. The F-15, sadly, doesn't seem very popular these days. Apparently, for not much more than F-15 money, you can get yourself an shiny, 5th gen F-35. Sure it has bugs right now, but you know that the US government is footing the bill to make sure it ends up working, so it is still a fairly 'safe' bet.

But still...dat Gripen! It even knows how to hide its stupid fuel probe when not in use!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #385 on: 20 October 2017, 16:30:41 »
early on the F-6 and F-18 could be offered cheaper than the Gripen, since the USAF and USN were retiring older models, which could be cheaply renovated for sale to another country. later there were political wranglings that gave some countries discounts on new build F-16's and F-18's and the support structure for them. (a few of the deals caused minor scandals when the details of how they got them came around)

generally though, it boils down to the fact that the F-16 and F-18 had an edge in getting sales early on, and then built up a good reputation. which the Gripen has been slow to do because so few countries so far have picked it up.

though a lot of the recent success it has had in sales has been when they pitch to people looking to replace old F-5's and similar planes.. in such cases the countries in question are usually looking for something cheaper than the high end stuff like the Falcons, Super Hornets, Rafales and Typhoons. and being mostly up against militarized trainers makes the Gripen a very attractive option when they want an actual combat plane in the deal.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #386 on: 20 October 2017, 17:03:46 »
*The British Army are generally not such a huge fan I believe

Yeah, sorry about that. I always made sure my guys knew the difference between a Chally 2 and a T-55, but not everyone is so careful.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #387 on: 20 October 2017, 17:28:53 »
Yeah, sorry about that. I always made sure my guys knew the difference between a Chally 2 and a T-55, but not everyone is so careful.
Or know that AAVs and LAVs aren't threat vehicles.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #388 on: 20 October 2017, 18:51:55 »
Richer countries with the money (and connections) to buy F-35s know what's good about that jet - barring 1 vacillating exception, they're unlikely to back off especially now the program is actually delivering results.

Poorer countries are indeed quite attracted to the Gripen's price tag, but are leery of buying a single-engine jet - yes, its cheaper, but a 1-engine jet that develops midflight engine trouble is a written-off jet, and poor countries can't afford many such write-offs. For the same reason its hard to countenance sending the Gripen on sea missions*, and again, poor countries need multi-role combat aircraft capable of doing all kinds of ops everywhere.

*or over vast stretches of desert, or Arctic tundra, in the case of aforementioned vacillating exception

big financial kickbacks for procurement officers, government officials, and politicians that the Swedes can't pay??

I mean, it's got the wing-loading of an F-104...
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #389 on: 20 October 2017, 19:04:22 »
More likely jobs in 47 states and 7 countries...