Author Topic: What is your favourite scout mech?  (Read 11231 times)

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
What is your favourite scout mech?
« on: 14 August 2017, 07:15:00 »
Just curious.  I've been playing around with Megamek of late, taking out different designs.  Iv'e found the Ostscout has become my favorite. 

3025 - the intro tech ostscout, able to get in and get out quickly, with that medium laser to rely on if needed.

Royal Ostscout - Simple upgrade, enough ammo to survive most surprises with enough speed to get out and report.

Ostscout 9-s.  Some flaws (two lasers, no hands, single heat sinks) but with all the toys needed for modern EW, and a-pods for when you accidentally jump into an infantry nest.

Plus I like the NuSeen mini.
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Decoy

• Captain
Re: What is your favourite scout mech?
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2017, 09:06:34 »
For me? It's the Wolverine. Sure, some are better over all scout 'mechs....but what happens when you need to take advantage of a situation? Most Wolverines have the throw weight to do just that.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2017, 09:14:58 »
Always been Partial to Phoenix Hawks to Scout in force. I agree the Ostscout, is probably the best pure Intro tech Scout Mech for LRM and Artillery Spotting.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2017, 09:51:14 »
Urbanmech.  8)

Nah, I'm a believer that jump jets are generally better than super-high speed alone- I'll lose a few tons off the engine generally if it means 6/9/6 instead of 8/12. Ostscouts are lovely for the job (particularly later versions with artillery/C3 spotting capabilities), but even handier are fast Omnimechs so that I can swap out equipment to meet the situation better. Dragonflies are excellent for this job, and really it's not out of the question to use the Thor- a little slower, naturally, but still able to jump five hexes, and if you expect to meet opposition during your scout run the extra durability and firepower can make the difference.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2017, 09:59:49 »
Well, there is the Grand Summoner that goes 5/8/8. Speaking of Clan 'mechs, I've always liked the Hellbringer as a scout 'mech. Walk in and lay down enough fire power to kill most lights, especially the 3025 ones. Anything heavier, bring in the rest of the star.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2017, 10:07:01 »
The Ostscout IIC.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2017, 10:12:47 »
In 3025, it depends on weight:

Light: I'll take a basic LCT-1V Locust as the "default" scout, for availability, versatility, and "effectiveness per ton" (I've killed quite a few Heavy 'Mechs with these things), or better yet, a Mongoose if there's one available.  In dense terrain, I'll probably choose a Firestarter instead (FS-9A or 9M, given the choice).  An Ostscout is suitable if you're not expecting to meet much opposition (purely recon), and aren't going our of your way to establish "recon superiority" over opposing scouting forces, but the torso-mounted weapon doesn't offer much flexibility in a fight.

Medium: the Phoenix Hawk has a well-deserved position as a scout lance leader: able to kill anything it can't outrun, and outrun anything it can't kill.  Up to 3050, it's pretty much the ultimate recon/skirmishing design.  In the later 3030s, the Hermes II "Mercury" becomes available in the FWL, at 7/11 speed, and becomes a good alternative to the PXH.

Assault: Charger, seriously.  Anything that gets within its 8 hex "circle of doom" gets a 16 point kick to the legs.  Judging from the sum of both weapon and physical damage, considering its armor protection, and by its movement profile (and by BV), it's a solid "medium 'Mech", except that it unfortunately weighs 80 tons.

Once you hit 3050 and beyond, the availability of XL engines and advanced sensors adds a long list of harder hitting, faster, and better data collecting machines to the list, so it depends heavily on the requirements of the task.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 14 August 2017, 10:42:16 »
Raven.

It is not terribly fast but it has superb electronics loadout, reasonable firepower, and it is very stylish.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 14 August 2017, 10:43:01 »
LCT-1V

It's cheap, it's ubiquitous, and notably durable for a scout.  It even has dual machine guns to deal with the most probable sort of opposition a scout will be shooting at.  It'd be the perfect scout if it only had jump jets.. but even without them its other benefits make it my favorite.

Even when you get into the LosTech and Clan tech where those scouts get to pick three out of speed/armor/firepower they lose out on ubiquity and economy.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #9 on: 14 August 2017, 11:12:45 »
Personal favorite is the JR7-D Jenner.  Speed, jump jets, and enough firepower to knock out other light mechs, and some mediums as well.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 14 August 2017, 11:47:38 »
Cicada 3G. Super bouncy, fast, probe-equipped, can needle at range.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 14 August 2017, 12:06:05 »
TL;DR: 3025 era: JR7 Jenner. If you really need more JumpJets, then the Spider.

I'll talk about the 3030MUX, et al, experience here, as it seems to still hold the title of implementing the strictest adherence to the books while playing in realtime.

The first rule for a Scout, or Recon 'Mech was, if you were trading shots with the enemy, You Were Doing It Wrong. This was a pretty damned serious rule, and noobs who violated it ran a very concrete risk of losing their rides and getting reassigned to the Urbie.

The most basic quality of a 'Mech that you wanted was speed. "Speed Is Life" was the official Scout/Recon motto. Probably the most salient reason for this was that, in realtime, with imperfect information, there is simply no, or little, opportunity to calculate optimum paths, ranges and solutions. First, you had to be a pretty good pilot to drive something moving at 129kph and not 'cliff', which meant crashing into a hexside you couldn't climb. For a light 'Mech, this could, and did, result in a legged, or destroyed 'Mech. If you were out of radio range, and especially if you were in the off-hours, you could literally be stuck out there for hours before anybody even realized you were gone. Part of the morning agenda was seeing if any of your noob recon-scouts did exactly that, and got found by an enemy strike pack or wound up at the bottom of a lake or river. And if it was a valuable munch 'Mech, your ass was grass. Even if you wound up running right through an enemy formation, accidentally, with enough speed and luck, you could survive it.

The other reason for this was that, because of visibility, possibly having some ECM, and speed mods, with enough speed, you could become practically unhittable while yet remaining within sensor range of the target, while the enemy would be forced to tolerate the observation, or break out of their chosen defensive spot and try and chase you away. Of course, this could also result in the pursuers getting ambushed, so it could really put them in a jam. There were plenty of times where a lone scout determined the outcome of an entire two or three hour op, simply by making the enemy main body in a timely fashion without getting killed.

As pilots proved their skill at piloting, scouting the right locations, and relying the right info they could be moved up to more 'valuable', generally meaning faster first, then better armored, Recon/Scout 'Mechs, some of which might even be decent skirmishers. Especially with the later units, '67-'85, you could have a 'Mech with enough intrinsic speed to do scouting missions, and armor and guns to engage in a little light combat without getting one-shot disabled/killed.

'Time to study' and 'respawn', video and tabletop, still pretty much sort of corral you into a different set of tactics than a straightforward application of by-the-book BattleTech rules in realtime.

For the 5/8 & 6/9 'Mechs, I think there is definitely a role. but they might be more like a 'command' 'Mech for a scout element, or a backup to scrape enemy pursuit 'Mechs off a Scout's tail, etc, which are part of the Recon mission, you might say, in support of the Scout role, and vice-versa.
« Last Edit: 19 August 2017, 18:42:39 by Easy »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #12 on: 14 August 2017, 12:48:54 »
It depends on the ruleset.

Amusingly, the quick campaign resolution table from the original Mercenary's Handbook makes the UrbanMech as good as any of the other dedicated scouts, since the table to check for a successful recon raid only looks at weight, not speed.  Using that ruleset, the Urbie outperforms the 7/11/7 Wraith as a scout unit.

It's far from optimal (no jump jets), but I have a soft spot for the Fireball as a scout.  Its very lack of armament and jump jets often leads to its being ignored on the battlefield, allowing it the freedom to get behind enemy lines and wreak no end of havoc.  The XTRO variant with an XXL engine and a supercharger allows it to achieve LUDICROUS SPEED (they've gone to PLAID!), which allows it to scout enemy positions and retreat back to friendly lines in the same turn.  (Picture the FOX version of Quicksilver in 'Mech form).  Its shape also lends itself to getting a paint job to resemble an M&Ms mascot.

In the MechCommander games, the Cougar made a serviceable scout - able to mount Clan Probes and ECM, while maintaining decent armor and weaponry, and being able to jump a significant distance.  It outclasses the Raven due to its superior speed and jump capability.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2017, 12:52:32 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 14 August 2017, 13:26:42 »
TL;DR: 3025 era: JR7 Jenner. If you really need more JumpJets, then the Spider.

I'll talk about the 3030MUX, et al, experience here, as it seems to still hold the title of implementing the strictest adherence to the books while playing in realtime.

For me it also depends on whether the enemy forces are known to use hidden units.  If not, Spiders and other good jumpers.  If hidden units, a moderate fast jumper with Beagle..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 14 August 2017, 14:14:11 »
Royal Hussar: excellent speed, good armor for a light mech, long range firepower, and a good electronics suite.

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #15 on: 14 August 2017, 14:59:53 »
3025: Spider 5D.  Fast as a locust, jumps the farthest, and has a flamer to deal with infantry.
3050+: Owens. Tons of fixed equipment for scouting, can move it pretty well too. And the LRM5s give it some stand off distance
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 14 August 2017, 17:05:56 »
3025-50
JR7d and the spider with all lasers and no machine guns - can't remember the model number. Ive seen those little spiders do terrible things to bigger mechs and barely take a hit.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #17 on: 14 August 2017, 17:53:48 »
Raven.

It is not terribly fast but it has superb electronics loadout, reasonable firepower, and it is very stylish.

Me too...although my version does move 8/12...

I also like the Ostscout, Spider, Locust, Mongoose, Dart, Stilleto, Spector, Stealth, Phoenix Hawk...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #18 on: 14 August 2017, 18:28:31 »
The Phoenix Hawk for obvious reasons.  It's just a damn good 'Mech overall.

However, you really can't beat the Assassin, Spider, and Ostscout.  When you just need a 'Mech that can get in and get info they're a great choice.

I really can't decide on a favorite even if the Assassin is my favorite 'Mech.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 14 August 2017, 18:44:14 »
Charger.  Especially if you can camo it with a silhouette of a lighter mech on the frame.    I swear it was a Commando that was in the woods!  Then it kicked off my leg!  ;D

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #20 on: 14 August 2017, 18:52:35 »
Locust. Not because it's necessarily the best, but because I just like it. Locusts are fun.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #21 on: 14 August 2017, 21:59:23 »
Liao Suicide Jeep Recon Patrol Represent!

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 14 August 2017, 22:34:26 »
Being primarily a 3025 - 3050 player I have a number of units that Jump to mind when I think of a scout mech. Ideally for me I want a fast jump capable mech. I also want something cheap and easily available though, ideally your scout isn't even going to engage in direct combat, and as such, you want to spend as little as possible on it, or them. As such these are my choices.

Locust Fast dependable little scout for 3025 play, it doesn't jump, but I love the look of the original. I find they really shine in pairs. Not the best mech, but definitely my favorite. Machine guns make hamburger out of infantry. None of the other bugs are fast enough. Has the guns to deal with infantry and light vehicles or mechs, which is important to me in a scout role.

Jenner  Another really cool design, I have mad respect for this mech and have used it to hunt down and kill units much heavier than it. Good speed and jump capability make it a great candidate for scouting.

Commando As a pirate player I really like fast, light, cheap units with good punch and two hands. Pretty much check every one of those boxes for the Commando. Plus I love the aesthetics of the mech. 6/9 is just a little slow for it to fill the "scout" niche perfectly though.

Assassin Its fast, it jumps, and the LRM 5 makes it really deadly and a major factor in games where the heaviest mechs are low end mediums.

Honorable mention the Spider. I just haven't used it much, although I've seen how effective it can be as it is one of my friends favorite mechs. He enjoys making my units miserable by parking his Catapults behind rocks and running Spiders in my backfield. Good mech, and I like the two medium laser model best.
For The Archon!

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #23 on: 15 August 2017, 00:55:29 »
and it is very stylish.

Glad someone is taking that into account. Even as a scout mech, first impressions are everything.

I'm going to break with some of the more hardline Lyran players and mention the benefit of lighter designs like the Banshee and the Zeus, able to endure the stress of first contact with enemy forces while still having enough mobility to disengage and call in party invitations.

But honestly, I've never had the opportunity in Battletech to actually run a scenario that included scouting. Got close a couple of times. From experience, jump jets would be crucial for moving consistently, and maintaining movement despite engine damage. I've had a Locust that's taken engine hits when trying to cross a river, so I'll have to side with those choosing Wasps, Stingers, Spiders, and so on.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 15 August 2017, 02:12:39 »
I've always had a soft spot for the Ostscout.
Beyond that, I'm old school - when I hear "scout" I think of the classic bug 'Mech trio: Locust, Wasp & Stinger.

Surprised that nobody mentioned the Hermes II yet. Its sensor suite is supposed to be almost as good as the Oscscout's.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #25 on: 15 August 2017, 04:25:18 »
Viper OmniMech.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #26 on: 15 August 2017, 08:09:33 »
Surprised that nobody mentioned the Hermes II yet. Its sensor suite is supposed to be almost as good as the Oscscout's.
Actually, I did bring it up about a dozen posts back, specifically the HER-2M "Mercury" variant.  The standard (and slower) HER-2S model is decent (the AC gives it some stand-off fire capability out to 18 hexes), but I would prefer a PXH over it in most circumstances.  The HER-2M has that bit of extra speed to make up for the lack of jump capability, and a Flamer to either do light incendiary actions (flame and smoke to cover an escape) or incinerate infantry in droves, but lacks a long-range gun like the PXH or its HER-2S sibling.

Note too, the Hermes I has a fantastic 9/14 speed rating, which makes it uncatchable by most other 3025 designs.  Unfortunately, the 'Mech is a bit on the rare side compared to something like the ubiquitous Locust, and expensive because of the large engine.

My only issue with the Spider is the same as with the Ostscout: its weapons are all torso-mounted, so it's got a significant blind spot if it's engaged by another fast scout (such as while being chased).  Otherwise, both are excellent in their roles.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #27 on: 15 August 2017, 08:26:03 »
Liao Suicide Jeep Recon Patrol Represent!

I want stats for this. >:D
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #28 on: 15 August 2017, 08:38:36 »
I've always been a fan of the Locust 1E - it's got the pace and armour of the standard Locust, and that nice pair of Medium Lasers.
(Although given the speed with with my Locusts lose arms, I do have a homebrew 1E2 that puts the two MLs back in the CT - though that then suffers from the lack of twisting.)
The Raven is pretty good, too. And yes, I should support them with machines with jump jets ...

Glad to have this thread - I've somewhat lost track of the profusion of mechs since the 'old days' - thanks to threads like this, I'm now building up a list of 'mechs to have a punt at using in MM. Ta!
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #29 on: 15 August 2017, 08:42:59 »
For the succession wars I'd generally go with an Assassin.  Sure the Ostscout and Spider are faster, but the Assassin can actually survive contact with the enemy scout forces.

Once you get into the clan invasion era, my allegiance switches to the Cicada 3F and G.  I wouldn't touch the introtech Cicadas with a barge pole, but the heavily armoured, jump capable versions are excellent scouts and skirmishers.

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Register