Author Topic: Jump jets confusion.  (Read 2472 times)

Stallion12

• Sergeant
Jump jets confusion.
« on: 31 August 2017, 23:17:43 »
I feel like I'm just misreading. But when jumping, can you only choose a place to jump that's a strait line?

Like is it. ()()()()()
                 ()()()()() can I jump from top left to bottom right for 4, or can I only go strait to the top right?

Also if your jumping from a lvl 0 to a lvl 3 but a lvl 1 as ND 2 are between, is the total jump 5 mp?

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Jump jets confusion.
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2017, 23:55:12 »
The Battlemech Manual (p. 18) does a good job of explaining this:

A ’Mech can only jump to its destination hex via the shortest
path (i.e. the fewest number of hexes required to get there). If more
than one such path exists, the player chooses which of these paths
their ’Mech takes. If all such paths are illegal (for example, there is
only one path, and one of the hexes in the path has a level too high
for the ’Mech to enter via jumping), the ’Mech cannot jump to the
destination hex at all.

Also, when jumping, each hex costs 1 MP, no matter how high or low it is.  The only issue with height is that a mech can't jump higher than the number of jump jets it has plus the level it was at when it started the jump.  But it still only ever costs 1 MP a hex.

Note that much of that explanation was included in this years TW errata, which you can download for free from this site.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2017, 16:34:40 »
The jump doesn't have to be a completely straight line. It just needs to be the shortest route available (least number of hexes) between the starting and ending point.
I have spoken.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2017, 18:55:50 »
yeah.. the majority of the restrictions are to prevent you from 'flying'.. having you mech jump up, circle round, and then land in the same place, but getting a movement mod from having passed through lots of hexes.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2017, 08:52:43 »
Sorta like the mis-use of the Kit Fox " walk " back in the day, when you could combine your forward and backward stance. (Circa 90's)

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2017, 11:56:28 »
It also showcases how they work, a big blast of force to propel the mech in a jump, not a jump that has a sharp turn or a loop involved.

Its not turning in mid air, its moving in a straight line, even if the hexes are not in a perfectly straight line.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2017, 16:17:11 »
It also showcases how they work, a big blast of force to propel the mech in a jump, not a jump that has a sharp turn or a loop involved.

Its not turning in mid air, its moving in a straight line, even if the hexes are not in a perfectly straight line.
The Spider was fluffed to be able to do just that - alter its jump path in midflight. But that's noted to be exceptional (in the sense of a unique quirk), not the norm.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2017, 19:20:20 »
The Spider was "special" true.
But it didn't pull U-turns.
It twitched & pivoted & bounced in the air according to the fluff, making it harder to hit.

The Spider carries a grand total of eight jump jets, four each in the left and right torso, giving it an incredible jumping distance of 240 meters. Cutting-edge components, the jump jets can pivot the 'Mech in mid-flight while still reaching its original landing point thanks to advanced computer tracking. This ability for the Spider to "twitch" in the air gives it greater protection as even the most advanced targeting computers can have a hard time acquiring a lock.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #8 on: 03 September 2017, 07:53:47 »
I always loved the idea of how cutting your jets early, and then free falling screws up targeting as well.

I asked a friend how such a move would play out in a table top game...

We quickly stated half the elevation change or a minium of a Level 2 drop as if a fall from a collapsing building. Roll for damage as normal... Also you can't DFA while duing this, you'd end up displacing youself, dealing more possible damage but you could still do physicals! ( If your still standing that is... )

" That Spider? Yeah, he just dropped three and a half levels.. that rounds to four. Roll damage please."
" Butt I jumped seven hexes... "
" You cut jour jets to DFA me, giving you a lower to hit number. Roll damsge. "
"  >:( "

Fun scenario it twas...

TT
« Last Edit: 03 September 2017, 08:01:03 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #9 on: 03 September 2017, 21:23:42 »
The Spider was "special" true.
But it didn't pull U-turns.
It twitched & pivoted & bounced in the air according to the fluff, making it harder to hit.

The new Nimble Jumper quirk in the BMM was constructed specifically to address the Spider fluff.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Register