Author Topic: Targeting Infantry Through a Building?  (Read 1961 times)

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
Targeting Infantry Through a Building?
« on: 30 September 2017, 17:40:47 »
I've got an ongoing game where I have two infantry units in separate buildings (one in a basement) that are being successfully targeted thru intervening buildings. Is that right? The one in the basement is being targeted by a unit at considerable distance away, so I'm pretty sure they are being shot with ground penetrating AC5 rounds. Distant unit is at elevation 0, btw.

And by targeted, I don't mean that literally. I know units in bldgs can't be targeted directly. The attacking units are firing at the top floor of the building (which they have LOS to), but doing damage with each shot to the unit (which they don't).

Is that right?
« Last Edit: 30 September 2017, 17:50:40 by MrJake »

arlith

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
Re: Targeting Infantry Through a Building?
« Reply #1 on: 01 October 2017, 08:59:27 »
It would be easiest if you could attach a saved game.
Member of the MegaMek Team.

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2017, 10:18:29 »
Just guessing - it's not the infantry that is targeted it is the building in which they are in. If Princess has a LOS to the building, she targets the building and the infantry in it takes damage.
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2017, 10:22:38 »
Just guessing - it's not the infantry that is targeted it is the building in which they are in. If Princess has a LOS to the building, she targets the building and the infantry in it takes damage.

This. I try to level every building where infantry is parked.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2017, 10:58:26 »
Thwowing building to the floor is not a proper behaviour for a Pwaetowian, you know?
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2017, 12:25:37 »
I think I saved that. I'll look.

Just to be clear, tho, if an infantry unit is on the ground floor of a building, and an opponent only has line of sight to the 2nd floor of the bldg, will the infantry take damage from those shots?

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 01 October 2017, 12:45:28 »
Here's the save.

The Infantry unit in question is in hex 2412 (the one being targeted). There's a bldg at 2513 that I thought would block the unit from taking damage, since shots would have to be aimed at a higher floor, not one that the infantry was on. I was, however, quite wrong, much to that unit's dismay. And demise. The bldg collapses on them at the end of the turn.

Goodbye motorized infantry unit that I forgot to upgrade with better armor or towed guns when I had the chance. We barely knew ye.

:'(

ajh

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 01 October 2017, 13:52:57 »

Just to be clear, tho, if an infantry unit is on the ground floor of a building, and an opponent only has line of sight to the 2nd floor of the bldg, will the infantry take damage from those shots?

I am quite certain that this is the case. As long as the building is damaged, the infantry inside of it will get hurt.
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 01 October 2017, 17:22:12 »
You know, not only is MegaMek a great project in its own right, but it has also taught me more about the rules than any number of re-readings of the Grand Tomes.

So, ah, Kudos! I guess. And, Thanks

arlith

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 02 October 2017, 07:04:40 »

I believe this is a quirk for MM.  When the building takes damage, the infantry in the building take damage, however buildings should take damage by level - each individual level of the building has CF and should take damage individually.  MM doesn't currently track building damage by level however which leads to the current behavior.  It's not quite right, according to the TW rules, however until buildings track damage by level, that's the way it's going to be.
Member of the MegaMek Team.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 02 October 2017, 13:13:36 »
Thanks, all.

And a double thanks to the MM volunteers. I'm constantly amazed at the good work. It really is impressive.

ajh

PS: And thanks to the IP holders as well. I assume they're being mensches about this.

celem

• Private
« Reply #11 on: 03 October 2017, 14:30:41 »
It's not too bad it seems, but it does explain MegaMek.