Author Topic: MrJake's Interminable Questions Thread  (Read 33264 times)

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
Re: MrJake's Interminable Questions Thread
« Reply #30 on: 09 October 2017, 00:27:43 »
Thanks it will be fixed for the next release.

Whoowoo! I contributed!

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #31 on: 09 October 2017, 01:10:03 »
Use shares and increase the "share %" for the contract, located at the top of the contract box before you accept it.

Otherwise you can modify all rolls or individual rolls to shift the attrition rates more to your taste. Keep in mind there is no such thing as "cheating" in ATB, the established rules are guidelines and designed primarily for experienced players looking for a challenge. You are expected to change them to suit your own style and what you consider fun, otherwise all the options would not exist to let you "cheat" so much.

Yeah, I ended up applying my own "Era Adjustment" to the roll  ;D

-1 for a lack of alternate employment in 3026, and -3 for 3 months pay all around.

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 09 October 2017, 07:26:25 »
As a rule of thump, with the given rules for retirement/defection you will have a hard time to keep your mercenary company intact, even if you finish all your contracts successfully. If you play with attrition rules and without shares you are downright asking for hiring new combat personal after each contract. If you prefer to keep your personal to see them developed and still include the rule options for retirement/defection, come up with some house rules for extra payment to increase the chances for passing the roll or let you CO's leadership rating have some effect on the rolls, etc.
MHQ gives you some incredible flxibility to come up with your own ideas how you tackle a campaign.
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 09 October 2017, 08:31:56 »
I'm having trouble with custom mechs not showing up in megamek. I have the settings on experimental and non cannon units. What am I doing wrong?

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 09 October 2017, 10:02:30 »
You also have to change some files so that the game knows which graphical icon it has to use to represent your custom mech.
Detailed info how this is done can be find in the document folder in your megamek folder.
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #35 on: 09 October 2017, 11:05:25 »
I'm having trouble with custom mechs not showing up in megamek. I have the settings on experimental and non cannon units. What am I doing wrong?

Check your game year. All delete the unit.cache file in the data-mechfiles folder.

You also have to change some files so that the game knows which graphical icon it has to use to represent your custom mech.
Detailed info how this is done can be find in the document folder in your megamek folder.

Custom units will default to the generic icon if none is assigned.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 09 October 2017, 11:28:42 »
The easiest way that I've found to make sure that icons and the like are present is to choose a Mek of the same weight and general appearance (one that you like, presumably), then modify that file instead of creating a brand new one.

Also, in MekLab, make sure the "Year" field is set to the Era you want to play in, or before. 

Also, in MegaMek, check to make sure that "Canon Units Only" isn't checked in Game Options.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #37 on: 09 October 2017, 12:26:26 »
The easiest way that I've found to make sure that icons and the like are present is to choose a Mek of the same weight and general appearance (one that you like, presumably), then modify that file instead of creating a brand new one.

Also, in MekLab, make sure the "Year" field is set to the Era you want to play in, or before. 

Also, in MegaMek, check to make sure that "Canon Units Only" isn't checked in Game Options.
Also never edit the mechset for your own designs use the local one.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #38 on: 09 October 2017, 15:16:48 »
Also never edit the mechset for your own designs use the local one.

:)) :)) :))

Aw man. I laughed so hard at this.

I know what all those words mean, individually, but have no idea what you just said. You might as well be speaking Lower Martian. Not Upper Martian, that goes without saying, but Lower Martian for sure.

ajh

PS: Okay, after I stopped laughing I puzzled it out. No idea how to do any of it, but at least it looks like English, again.

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #39 on: 09 October 2017, 15:54:04 »
Ok dude, in your data/images/units folder at the bottom there is the mechset which matches all the images to the correct unit model.  That is not to be messed with.  The localclient_mechset is what users should be editing matching whatever unit model they want with whatever image they want MM to display for it.  localclient overwrites the just plain mechset file.

#
# Add any unit images that only appear on your computer to this file.
#

# The format goes as follows:
# {chassis/exact} [model] [image filename]

# Use exact to specify the unit exactly, for example:
# exact "Marauder MAD-3R" "mechs/marauder.png"
# exact "Timber Wolf Prime" "mechs/timberwolf.png"

# You may also just specify a graphic for a chassis, for example:
# chassis "Marauder" "mechs/marauder.png"

# Images should be greyscale, 84x72 pixel GIF files with the chassis centered.
# The tinting process is subtractive, so make images light.

# As of v0.29.61, mechset files can include other mechset files.

### Add new entries between this and end ###
### End ###

# Add any include files below so that they override what is in this file.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #40 on: 09 October 2017, 16:39:33 »
Thanks for the clarification 'Wolf.

Just to be clear, I wasn't laughing at you or what you wrote. I'm pretty sure just about everyone on this particular board knows exactly what you were saying and how to go about it, or would after reading your explanation.

I was laughing, very much, at myself, and only myself. Mostly because I finally thought I was becoming useful (finally) and then, BAM! right between the eyes.

:)) :)) :))

You had to be there? And be me?

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 09 October 2017, 18:32:28 »
I guess one good piece of advice would go like this...

If you never want to fuss with that file...

Always make your neat new designs a version of something else. Do not change the CHASSIS name in MML. That way you will never have a problem.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #42 on: 09 October 2017, 22:51:07 »
And just when you shake it off...BAM!...one more time.

Soooo...just how bad would it be if one had done something like that...?

I'm asking for a friend.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #43 on: 09 October 2017, 22:54:01 »
Has anyone else ever had Java just stop working? Still installed, still seemed to be running, but no Java-ing being done. Had to delete and reinstall.

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: 11 October 2017, 13:15:09 »
Thanks, that fixed it. It also explained why only my units I upgraded with clan tech where affected. Thanks again!

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #45 on: 12 October 2017, 14:51:09 »
Missing RAT?

I'm starting a scenario (Base Defense: Not a Special), and my employer is the FWL. My allied defenders are 8 vehicles and 6 "No Random Assignment Tables Found For Faction."

Did I mess something up?

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #46 on: 12 October 2017, 15:38:32 »
Nope, that's a known bug. There's actually a fix in the pipeline for it.

The units that you're missing are six turrets. You can work around it by manually generating six turrets once you get into Megamek and giving them to the friendly AI (or yourself, and definitely give yourself any artillery turrets that get generated as the AI can't use those). Do let us know how the bot handles the non-artillery turrets, I'm curious how they hold up in "realistic" situations.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #47 on: 12 October 2017, 15:41:51 »
Sweet. Hope I can be helpful. l'll let you know tonite or later this weekend.

AJH

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #48 on: 13 October 2017, 13:36:04 »
Would Galatea not qualify as at least a Maintenance facility? It may not have a factory, per se, but surely even in 3025, especially in 3025, wouldn't Galatea be the place for the aspiring Merc to find just about everything?

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 13 October 2017, 15:29:52 »
Well, sure, but does your scrub no-name merc unit get access to any of those facilities? Probably not. :D

Fear not though, under AtB rules, if you need a maintenance facility for a mech refit, you can use a veteran mech tech to get the job done.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #50 on: 13 October 2017, 16:55:22 »
Ha!

If my scrub, no-name merc unit had a veteran tech, I wouldn't need a maintenance facility!

;D

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #51 on: 13 October 2017, 16:58:12 »
I know you get a defection check when you first take a prisoner, but how often do you get them after that?

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #52 on: 13 October 2017, 17:15:36 »
Only once, you can't keep them in your dungeon makeshift prison to make them defect to you.
You can still keep them there until they die of old age though I guess.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 13 October 2017, 17:51:07 »
Old versions of AtB Rules allowed you to get paid for sellin uhhhh costs incurred while keeping them safe.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #54 on: 16 October 2017, 15:32:43 »
A little unclear about how many units I can deploy for a mission.

Contract requires "House Command" and one lance in the "Fight" category.

"Maximum Deployed Units: 4"

I put 4 units in my cleverly named "Fight!" Lance.

When a mission occurs, does the House unit add to my 4 (as long as it doesn't violate the maximum of 6 in the Campaign Options) or does it replace one of mine?

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 16 October 2017, 16:20:07 »
The "House" units are added on after the fact.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #56 on: 16 October 2017, 17:25:52 »
Ohthankgod.

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #57 on: 16 October 2017, 17:32:33 »
Isn't maximum deployed units also the maximum number of lances you can deploy while on contract?

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #58 on: 16 October 2017, 21:06:37 »
I hope you're not asking me.... ;D

If the contract doesn't call for a training lance, can you assign one anyway? I got some newbs who need some xp.

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #59 on: 16 October 2017, 22:36:02 »
Deploy all the training lances you want.

The "maximum deployed units" is, indeed, the maximum number of lances you can have deployed while on contract. It's 3 (or whatever you configured) + your commander's strategy skill (unless you disabled that option). It actually has nothing to do with the number of units (mechs) in a lance. That number is always anything between 3 and 6, minus any "attached" house units.

Another important set of numbers is the lance weight limits: 130/200/280/380. That's how many tons of *your* units you can have in a lance before it gets classified as the next highest weight and has more dudes thrown at it. Like blackjack, you want to stick close to and under or equal to that number. You put out a 200 ton lance, AtB will generate you opponents suitable for a medium lance. You put out a 205 ton lance, it'll think you're running a heavy lance. Good luck with that!