Author Topic: understanding Jagermech variations  (Read 1756 times)

tsmpaul

• Corporal
understanding Jagermech variations
« on: 19 October 2017, 19:08:13 »
I'm making some forces and I was curious about the different types of Jagermechs.

- The JM6 variants are the regular Jagermech.
- But the JM6-D3 is the Jagermech III which has a different looking model.
- But the JM7 variants say Jagermech again, but the chassis weighs 5 tons heavier than the normal JM6 Jagermech and the Jagermech III?

Is the JM7 a type of Jagermech III, or is it a new type yet again? Which model would you use to represent it? Would you call the JM7 a Jagermech IV?

If I search at Ironwind for Jagermech, it only shows the standard and III types, not the JM7 types.

And which variants would be considered a Jagermech II?
- red vs blue battletech painting -

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Re: understanding Jagermech variations
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2017, 19:39:35 »
The JM7 is the closes you will get to the Jagermech II as it predates the Jager III by a year. I believe it was fist introduced in MechCommander along with the heavier Centurion 10B, the extra 5 tones simply made it a more effective mechs and helped flushed out the roster.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2017, 21:01:41 »
Yes, both were table top conversions of some MechCommander options . . . the JM7-D is the MC version, the -F was made at the time to show off the 'new' RAC weapons.

I personally really really like the CN10-B and think that is how the mech should have gone for 3050 since you can pretty much do that on the 50t chassis.  Meanwhile the JM7-D is a very solid Jager and I prefer it to the III.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2017, 21:43:38 »
You can use a 65-ton JagerMech mini as the 70-ton model.

And I'd suggest avoiding the JagerMech III mini altogether. It's a horrid, oversized lump. OTOH, the arms and legs from the JagerMech III (available from IWM) matched to the torso of a plastic JagerMech (from the old or new intro boxes) is a great thing, and easily fits as the 70-ton JM version.

And yes, the 70-tonner should have been called the JagerMech II, but that's not canon. See also Enforcer III - no Enforcer II, although the 5/8/5 mover arguably could claim that name.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

tsmpaul

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2017, 17:33:02 »
Ah! Thanks for the clarifications. I quite like the idea that some of the designs were inspired by MechCommander - it's still one of my favourite computer games.

I like the idea of attaching the arms and legs from the III to the old torso, to make it look heavier for the 70 ton version, I'll have a think about that.
- red vs blue battletech painting -

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2017, 18:33:16 »
We totally need a ruling on that,  the MC Jager and 5/8/5 Enforcers as the II versions.

You can use a 65-ton JagerMech mini as the 70-ton model.

And I'd suggest avoiding the JagerMech III mini altogether. It's a horrid, oversized lump. OTOH, the arms and legs from the JagerMech III (available from IWM) matched to the torso of a plastic JagerMech (from the old or new intro boxes) is a great thing, and easily fits as the 70-ton JM version.

And yes, the 70-tonner should have been called the JagerMech II, but that's not canon. See also Enforcer III - no Enforcer II, although the 5/8/5 mover arguably could claim that name.

W.

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2017, 19:03:07 »
I honestly thoiught they were trying to make those as IIi for "II Inner Sphere", like IIC for "II Clan", but it ends up looking like and being indistinguishable from III.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2017, 17:19:01 »
I honestly thoiught they were trying to make those as IIi for "II Inner Sphere", like IIC for "II Clan", but it ends up looking like and being indistinguishable from III.

That's very clever!

I wondered about the "III" thing myself when I got 3060. I thought; was the 3050 version the -II?

But I like the MC up-tons being the II-model better.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2017, 17:37:22 »
I always understood the 3050 models to be the 2 . . .

Since the JM7-D comes out in 3060 same time as the Jag III not sure that works.  The other part is that the Enforcer III and Jagermech III were both commissioned as part of Victor's image rehab right after the split of the FedCom which would suggest a earlier lead time.  The JM7-D was in RS 3060 and HMP has a fluff bit about how it was a failure, low production and relegated to the militia.  JM7-F's HMP entry repeats the Jag III fluff but has it sourced as RS 3067 though no idea how wide spread it is in the AFFC/S.

Which sort of sucks, I do really like the D since I think it has decent weapons mix for the BV.

Trying to figure out which FCCW book starts with a Jager pilot trying to fight clear on . . . Tikinov?  Wonder which Jag he uses.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Register