Author Topic: An Attempt in Illegal MATH: When Protomech are made out of Go Fast.  (Read 1987 times)

dragonkid11

• Master Sergeant
So once again I got bored with my own questions on why is the construction formula for protomech is so damn weird.

This time, I asked, why is the final engine rating depended on running MP instead of walking MP like, everything else, except battlearmor.

Everyone of course will say it will make them go faster, get more guns, or basically get just plain better.

But I want a concrete result based on actual calculation instead of just approximation, so I made a tons of math and then made this thread.

Just like last time, I'm gonna take the first generation protomech and improve them, or at least until I get not bored.

Now just remember, the math for the engine weight in protomech is quite simple.

Anything below 40 engine rating just times 25 kilogram per ER, while any above just use the standard engine weight table, pretty easy.

I'm also a guy who have absolutely no idea how does the table worked, so bear with me here.

Anyway, let's get started.

Harpy has 4 variant, and out of the 4 it has two different speed rating.

Protomech Variant     Movement Speed     Old Engine Rating     New Engine Rating     Extra Weight Gained
Harpy Standard3/5/3106100
Harpy 23/5/3106100
Harpy 35/81610150
Harpy 43/5(6)/3106100

So, what do we learn from here? It, well.....still won't really save Harpy due to how cramped it is with everything that makes it mediocre. The free weight gained for the Harpy are simply not enough to give it a significant increase in firepower or armor enough to make it competitive against battlearmor.

Unless...you use all those free weight and increase it's speed!

In this case, then the Standard Harpy alongwith Harpy 2 and 4 will be able to increase their speed to 5/8, with Harpy 4 capable of going even faster with its myomer booster, unfortunately the jumpjet count will have to be stuck that way.

Harpy 3 is even more ridiculous, getting a speed increase to 8/12, or add a myomer booster and have it go 7/11(14) which is absolutely ridiculous for something armed with only a light machine gun.

All in all, the new Harpy is still very undergunned and underarmored but they are sure as heck a lot faster now.
On behalf of the Berserker,
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Salvage Dog AU SI Fanfic Thread
Salvage Dog AU Tech Compilation Thread
Salvage Dog AU Battlemech Thread

dragonkid11

• Master Sergeant
Re: An Attempt in Illegal MATH: When Protomech are made out of Go Fast.
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2017, 01:50:06 »
Next up, Siren.

While lacking an active probe, Siren was quite good as a cheap scout protomech due to its extremely fast speed that some light mech would be jealous of.

Let's make it even faster.

Protomech Variant     Movement Speed     Old Engine Rating     New Engine Rating     Extra Weight Gained
Siren Standard10/154530250
Siren 210/154530250
Siren 38/123624300
Siren 410/15(20)4530250
Siren 58/123624300

We have only moved by one ton and we are already seeing nearly twice of increase in extra weight gained because Harpy is just that crappy.

Anyway, actual significant option here. Giving more ammo for weapon is possible, putting more armor to handle more punishment is also good, but why put extra mass when you can go fast.

With the extra weight, Siren Standard, 2 can go for a maximum movement rating of 15/23, which is insanely fast. But oh wait, Siren 4 can top every other protomech or even everything in the game by having a top speed of 15/23(30).

It's time to go really really fast.

Option for Siren 3 and 5 isn't really interesting but they can still go for a very fast speed of 12/18 at max. Buffing up their armament with a machinegun or even SRM 1 would be nice.

Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

dragonkid11

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 06 November 2017, 00:36:28 »
Next up, Satyr at 4 tons.

Now while the Satyr is heavier, its slower speed makes so that it basically pack nearly the same engine rating as the Siren, thus they ended up saving nearly the same extra weight.

Satyr Standard7/114528300
Satyr 27/11/74528300
Satyr 37/11/74528300
Satyr 47/114528300
Satyr XP6/9/93624300

It was quite astonishing to me when I found they all have the same extra mass available.

For the Satyr, it's where the decision has to be split, you want to give it more armor so it can actually survive getting hit by something, or you give it more speed to get it out of messy situation fast.

Upgrading every single variant except Satyr XP to max speed would give them 11/17, which is pretty damn fast. Satyr XP could go to 9/14 instead, maybe even saving more mass for more guns or armor by turning its extended jump jet back to normal jumpjet.

dragonkid11

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 06 November 2017, 00:51:46 »
Because I'm extra bored today, here's Centaur at 5 tons.

Centaur Standard6/94530250
Centaur 26/94530250
Centaur 36/94530250
Centaur 46/9(12)4530250
Centaur Z6/94530250

Maybe the Clanner is still full of disdain for protomechs and just make sure they can maintain them with least amount of resource by making them use a lot of similar spare part or something because just about every light weight protomech use 45 engine rating.

Considering the Centaur heavy usage of ammo dependent weapon, using the extra weight for more ammo would be useful and maybe even a point extra armor to protect the leg better due to its lack of jumpjet.

But of course you guys know what I like more at this point, MORE SPEED.

9/14 is seriously fast for what is originally made as a generalist, but considering later variant of Centaur are all seems to be brawler, that speed help. Centaur 2 would be able to get close and get out fast and Centaur 3 made even deadlier by maintaining the firing range as one of the lightest ER Medium carrying protomech. For Centaur 4, it went from dangerous to devastating as it's speed of 9/14(18) alongwith its armament and toughness would make it quite a demonic protomech in its role of brawling and anti-infantry.

As for Centaur Z, they honestly should just drop the magnetic clamp for the original build due to its original speed, and Society would be even more stupid evil if they don't forgo the magnetic clamp for the lighter myomer booster for ludicrous speed.

All in all, a very devastating weapon in a tiny package.

dragonkid11

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2017, 01:06:31 »
I really should pay attention to my college assignment but I can't leave the math alone.

Next up on the list, Hydra (6 tons)

Hydra Standard4/63624300
Hydra 24/6/33624300
Hydra 35/8/55030750
Hydra 44/63624300

Honestly, I was thinking this would be the same as the rest until Hydra 3 math came out as absolutely banana.

750 kilograms of free weight! I think everyone could use that for a lot of fun for Hydra 3.

For the Hydra, I was about to suggest adding in jumpjet until I realised that at 6 tons, each jumpjet would weigh 100 kilograms and while 3 jumpjets are okay for some rough terrain, I think I'm not the only one suffering from jumpjet count OCD here...

Adding to the max with 6/9 isn't so bad for a brawling protomech like Hydra, more ammo would also be nice so it could last longer with its streak launcher and AP gauss, maybe something in between as its tough armor would allow some mistakes before failing except for Hydra 2 which frankly is fragile as hell and could use from more armor and one extra jumpjet.

But for Hydra 3, oh boy. the option to upgrade it with the extra weight would have been huge except for the fact that its a support protomech. More LRM or more LRM ammo would be good, maybe even some armor or myomer booster to get it out of dodge faster. Upgrading to 8/12 is kinda a bit too fast for a support mech which is very mobile already.

All in all, still a tough nut to crack.

dragonkid11

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 06 November 2017, 01:24:43 »
If only I have this much enthusiasm with my college, then I probably won't procrastinate on stuff like this so much.

Anyway, here's Roc (7 tons)

Roc Standard5/8/56035625
Roc 25/8/56035625
Roc 35/86035625
Roc 45/8/56035625
Roc Z5/8/56035625

Now we are seeing some significant mass saving! 625 kilograms, that's quite a lot and nearly 10% of the protomech's weight.

It would be nice if SRM 2 is added in with some ammo to make Roc a true super Elemental but extra armor to make it even more annoying would be nice too. Roc 3 will also have actual jumpjet now to make it even harder to hit while it spams accurate pulse laser attacks at its enemies. And honestly, maybe Roc Z could abandon its magnetic clamp system and just get another extra chemical medium laser for double the damage. It's not like it gonna last long enough to use 30 rounds anyway.

But putting them at max speed and you will get a fast speed of 8/12. This will push Roc from one of the best Protomech design to a hard to hit annoying bugger that kept on shooting lasers at you.

Essentially, this just made the best, better.

dragonkid11

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 11 November 2017, 01:16:19 »
Alright, time to get first generation done today.

Next up on the list, Gorgon (8 tons).

Gorgon Standard4/65032700
Gorgon 24/6/45032700
Gorgon 35/865401000
Gorgon 44/6/35032700

Even more weight to play around now with the new rules in place!

The armor of the Gorgon is pretty good already, more missiles launchers or guns would also be nice and shoving jumpjets would make them even more effective in their role.

Speed wise, with the new rule, the unmodified Gorgon could move at 6/9 or 8/12 which is frankly kinda scary for a protomech so heavily armed.

Annnd I just gonna quickly move on to the last first gen Protomech, the Minotaur (9 tons).

Minotaur Standard3/5/34527325
Minotaur 23/54527325
Minotaur 35/8/575401000
Minotaur 45/8/575401000
Minotaur Z3/5/54527325
Minotaur XP3/54527325
Minotaur P23/54527325

As expected, the low speed of the Minotaur won't exactly give much of a free weight boost even with the new rule in, but being able to move Minotaur at 5/8 with the new rule with its heavy armament would be pretty terrifying.

For the Minotaur 3 and 4 though, a Minotaur moving at 8/12 would be really terrifying but also really fragile consider what they have, so it's probably better to shove those free weight into more armour or more guns.

With the new rules in, it would make latest variant of Minotaur a better brawler with that tremendous speed boost.