Author Topic: Lore-style Story: Out of His Mind  (Read 2053 times)

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
Lore-style Story: Out of His Mind
« on: 17 November 2017, 08:22:42 »
Wanted to try a "lore" style story set in the BT universe, where instead of a single, continuous narrative the story is presented in bits and pieces: a conversation, an item description, a letter, or whatever. Then it is up to the reader to piece the story together.

Neurohelmet for Sale

This one? Sir has a discerning eye. One of the most valuable items in our stock, I’m proud to say. MechWarrior’s neurohelmet, House Kurita bucket style, early 31st century. Minor cracking along the right side where it has been grazed by a bullet, but still rates as ‘good.’ Internal padding in ‘very good’ condition. The faceplate hinge has been replaced. The original manufacturer’s marks still visible on the bottom rim of the helmet bowl, here you see, a katakana “Sa” plus the characters for “two thousand seven hundred,” telling us this came from the New Samarkhand arsenal, produced sometime in the 28th century.

The exterior decoration is what interests you though, is it not? As I suspected. Our analysis has revealed this is not the original design. The previous pattern has been scoured off, leaving only the current one. Traces of red paint. Might once have belonged to somebody in a Sword of Light regiment, who knows?

The monochromatic scheme suggests this was last used by a member of one of the Ghost regiments. A criminal, perhaps, one of the yakuza. A white tiger on either side, possibly a gang symbol or totem. The patterns of stripes on the tigers appear random at first, but if you look closely, here you see, these are a number of star-like shapes. A map of the night sky seen from a Draconis Combine world, perhaps. Intriguingly, this one star, right here at the crown, has been done in red. I'd wager the pattern is a map, leading to some yakuza treasure, waiting for us to decode!

Here, above the faceplate, you see these characters? Most people assume it’s the pilot’s name, but it’s more a slogan or motto. You know, the way marines might jokingly write “aim here” on their own helmets? Well, House Kurita MechWarriors’ slogans tend to be a bit less humorous. It reads: Sen-teh wa man-teh. It means, “The first hand is ten thousand hands,” or in other words, there is an advantage to being a pioneer, being the first to do something, to seizing the initiative.

In plain English: Get in the first shot.

I could not let this go for less than 600,000 C-Bills. A bargain at the price. What do you say?
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
Re: Lore-style Story: Out of His Mind
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2017, 08:31:03 »
[Recovered printout of Bowie-IV facility records follows]

Subject 331
Male, Age 38, Smuggler
Died during surgery.

Subject 332
Male, Age 43, Extortionist
Died during surgery.

[Pages for Subjects 333-336 missing]

Subject 337
Female, Age 17, Murderer
Initial results promising. Recovered well following operation. Test frame exhibited human-natural reaction times and mobility. Error occurred when the test frame’s sensors targeted the viewing platform. The test frame attempted to break the viewing glass, and was destroyed by sentry lasers. This triggered a feedback shock which killed Subject 0337.
Hypothesis: Female subjects may respond better. However, recommend installation of kill-switch to prevent recurrence of similar scenario. Awaiting replacement test frame.

Subject 338
Female, Age 29, Political dissident
Shot while attempting to escape.

Subject 339
Female, Age 33, Arsonist
Hypothesis regarding female subjects appears erroneous. Subject unable to control frame. Remained in vegetative state for three days before being removed from life support.

Subject 340
Male, Age 23, Rapist
Similar to Subject 337, viewing his own body appeared to trigger schizophrenic heautoscopy. Emergency shunts installed after the incident with Subject 337 activated, avoiding damage to the test frame. Subject 340 died when shunts activated.

(Handwritten note): Does the frame remember? Does some residue linger in its circuits, a taste of all the criminals we’ve poured into it? Maybe it’s not the (illegible), it’s the fame, trying to (illegible).

Subject 341
Male, Age 28, Deserter
The Subject was originally committed to the facility following discharge from the DCMS on mental health grounds. Frame showed no heautoscopic reaction, Stage 1 of trial declared success. Subject appeared to commit suicide by hanging himself with a bath towel that night, only to overpower the responding medics and escape the facility.
Search teams deployed to track down Subject 341. Recommend review of medical security protocols. Awaiting next test subject.

(Handwritten note): Ann. from C-S -- general assbly 0600 what now?
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2017, 17:40:49 »
A 600000 c-bill neurohelmet, cheap at triple the price. :))
Interesting start, I'm wondering if the story is about the last test case, the deserter that escaped. O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2017, 03:28:03 »
Probably.

Tagged!

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2017, 17:39:41 »
1 ping only
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2017, 07:17:45 »
Defection

It should come as no surprise that defection from the Draconis Combine to the Federated Suns (or Federated Commonwealth, as it later became) was rate, and from the Suns to the Combine almost unheard-of.

The populations on either side of the border had been indoctrinated through centuries of propaganda, each laced with just enough truth to make their messages convincing. The "Snakes" were drones, mindless robots in a ruthless, fanatical, militarized society that crushed all individuality beneath unquestioning subservience to the Coordinator. The "Fedrats" were lawless, drug-addicted thugs whose only desire was to satiate their selfish lust for money. (Ironically, each side would likely agree with the other's propaganda to an extent: The Combine did believe they were more disciplined and restrained, the Suns did believe they were more independent and emotional).

However, defections did occur. For the military, this might happen during a raid or invasion by simple expedient of surrendering to the opposing side. A Suns MechWarrior might yearn for a more martial society, a Combine one for greater freedom. For civilians, however, it was more difficult. There were few jumpships traveling between the two realms: only limited official trade shuffled back and forth, highly regulated and watched.

This situation, however, spawned a thriving black market, dominated by criminal groups such as the mafia, the yakuza, the Zetas or the Kombinat. Among the cargo they traded in were a number of people, either economic refugees or dissidents from one side or the other, or sometimes those sold into slavery. Other times, their passengers were rather more valuable.

One of the most remarkable cases was of course the defection from NAIS of one of its leading neuroscientists in 3046, leading to the so-called "Blackstar" incident and provoking a brief panic among upper echelons of the FedCom military.   

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 24 November 2017, 07:32:26 »
Surveillance bug: Audio recording OZW/30460512/1855-1915

[Voice 1/Unidentified female] I’m sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about. We are law-abiding merchants. There is no way we could agree to smuggle someone into Combine space.

[Voice 2/Female, ID: MERMAID] I heard on good authority that--

[Voice 3/Unidentified male] You heard wrong.

[MERMAID] Is it the money? I can pay.

[V1] No, honey, it isn’t the money. It’s the, y’know. Law.

[MERMAID] They said you have connections with the Kurogane-gumi. If you can’t maybe you can ask--

[V3] Are you deaf, lady? We don’t know no koochi-goochi-gummy, and there ain’t no way in hell we’re risking our necks to take you and your pasty-faced friend here across the border. Ain’t enough C-Bills in the Sphere to make that worthwhile.

(Shuffling, coughing sounds)

[V3] What’s with him, anyway? Why’s he still wearing his hood inside? Hey bud, take the hood off, will ya?

[MERMAID] He’s just a little shy. He was injured in an accident a couple of years back--

[V3] Ain’t talking to you, sister. Hood down. Now buddy.

(Rustle. Silence.)

[V3] Unity.

[V1] An accident?

[MERMAID] An accident.

[V3] The hell kind of accident does that to a man?

[MERMAID] A farming accident.

[V3] Like hell.

[V1] Shit, here come the ziggies. Get your pal here to cover up.

[Voice 4/SGT. A. JACKSON, CIDG] Evening, folks. Everything alright?

[V1] Fine thanks, officer.

[JACKSON] Sergeant Jackson, CIDG. Looking for some people, thought you might be able to help. Man and a woman. Sound familiar?

[MERMAID] Alright, Sergeant. Don’t draw this out.

[JACKSON] Draw what out? (Laughter) They said you were dangerous as all get out. Hell, don’t look like much to me. Do they, boys? (Chorus of agreement)

[MERMAID] That’s enough.

[JACKSON] Aw, don’t go spoiling my fun. We’re just getting started. And as for you, you sickly little freak—

(Thumps, a scream. Gunfire. The screaming is quite close to the bug, drowning out most other sounds. The gunfire slackens off. Three distinct shots. The screaming suddenly cuts short)

[V3] How in hell did you …

[Voice 5/Unknown male, tentative ID YOJIMBO] Sente wa mante. Kyu ni onegai shite taihen moshiwakenai kedo, hoka no hoho ga nakatta. Nantoka tasukete kuremasen ka?

[V1] Se ya na. Sente wa mante. Kocchi e. Isogo.