Author Topic: Argentinian sub missing  (Read 12707 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: Argentinian sub missing
« Reply #30 on: 22 November 2017, 11:01:14 »
I was watching a live stream by this chap called Jive Turkey and hes an ex US SSN sonar man.  Folks on the stream are often veterans and one Brazilian sub guy said that his subs when they go out on sea trials don't take many oxygen candels with them, and assumes the ARN does the same.  Apparently the Sub was cut in half to have work done on her batteries before being put back together and then sailing.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #31 on: 22 November 2017, 19:22:15 »
I was watching a live stream by this chap called Jive Turkey and hes an ex US SSN sonar man.  Folks on the stream are often veterans and one Brazilian sub guy said that his subs when they go out on sea trials don't take many oxygen candels with them, and assumes the ARN does the same.  Apparently the Sub was cut in half to have work done on her batteries before being put back together and then sailing.
OMG
Hope that's not what it sounds like. it could have happened.
« Last Edit: 23 November 2017, 08:07:39 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #32 on: 22 November 2017, 19:22:57 »
There were reports she was having trouble with her batteries.  USS Cochino and USS Bonefish both suffered battery explosions and fires aboard, Cochino was lost (with only one fatality) while Bonefish was towed back in with 18 dead.  Clinically, I'm betting it was something like this - though I do wonder; you'd think an implosion would be something SOSUS could pick up.  Noone's mentioned such a thing, at least not publicly, so I wonder if the sub never crossed crush depth.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #33 on: 22 November 2017, 19:29:09 »
Won't depend on what's monitoring of the ocean they normally be doing.

Sure they got ears in the water since the sub's reported missing.  However, i was under the impression that most of the area won't have been setup with such devices.   It's sort a cold war thing, how the approaches to the Atlantic and Pacific possible were laid out on the ocean floor with cables to listen for inbound Soviet subs.

There won't be anything like that off the coast of Argentina i would think.  They only have 3 submarines, no real rivals to worry about with exception of smugglers maybe issues with the Brazilians.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 22 November 2017, 23:44:39 »
Russia joins the search. Hints of the blame game starting up as survival hopes fade.

Argentina is a poor country, its unlikely to have those kind of sonar sensors... and even if they did, they might not reveal its existence.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 23 November 2017, 02:27:42 »
In all honesty, we're over the 1 week mark, and at this point it has become a recovery operation rather than a rescue :(

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #36 on: 23 November 2017, 04:11:58 »
In all honesty, we're over the 1 week mark, and at this point it has become a recovery operation rather than a rescue :(

Sadly I agree with you
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 23 November 2017, 06:34:17 »
Yeah apparently the work on her batteries was done by a local firm and they basically cut the ship in half to get at the battery compartment before putting her back together again with new batteries.  Battery changes on SS's are slow complicated, expensive, dirty tasks and not obviously something done lightly. And they rarely involve halving or cutting off a quarter of a sub to get at the battery compartment.

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #38 on: 23 November 2017, 10:07:26 »
Explosion detected near site of missing Argentinian submarine, navy confirms

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/23/explosion-detected-near-site-of-missing-argentinian-submarine-navy-confirms

Just hope it was quick
Go to red alert!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 23 November 2017, 10:25:36 »
Rest in peace, brave submariners.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #40 on: 23 November 2017, 12:21:16 »
Has it been confirmed the explosion was the submarine?
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #41 on: 23 November 2017, 13:23:31 »
No, but it matches the sub's last known coordinates and there aren't a lot of plausible alternatives for what could have caused it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #42 on: 23 November 2017, 14:28:36 »
Has it been confirmed the explosion was the submarine?

Not confirmed yet, but almost. It was a shame. And sadly i am almost sure it was the product of the last goverment institucionalized corruption. :'(
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 23 November 2017, 15:01:00 »
That's what I was looking for, hydrophone networks picking up anything.  The sharp violent 'explosion' I'm betting is the sub passing crush depth and then finally imploding; the incredible amount of pressure at those depths was enough to (in USS Scorpion's case) rip the sub literally in half and shove the engine room fifty feet forward into the hull behind the torpedo room.  Very likely the same happened here, after some sort of catastrophic electrical casualty to the boat followed by a loss of power and a trip straight down.

Thank god the end came quick, is all I'm going to say.

What I said before about the SOSUS hydrophones (and NOAA's), those things are serious business.  When Thresher went down, their recordings were good enough to hear the sound of water hitting the reactor core of the sub despite it being half an ocean away.  That they didn't hear the sound let them rule out a failure there, so the listening capabilities of the USN (and others) are terrifying.  Don't fart in the ocean, they'll know you did it.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 23 November 2017, 23:15:14 »
This might prove interesting, sad, but interesting.  Jive Turkey is an ex USN sonar man and served aboard Los Angeles and Ohio class boats, and has a lot of experience with sonar patterns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc39NVy1v20

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #45 on: 24 November 2017, 10:27:51 »
It's really looking like they may have gone down.

A international nuclear test-ban monitoring organization,who usually monitors through their network detected the explosion near where the ARA San Juan was last reported from.  I wonder if Argentina doesn't want to admit she lost.  I'd like keep trying, but i don't know anymore.  :(

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 24 November 2017, 11:38:18 »
The Argentinian navy has already informed the families the crew are considered to be lost at sea.

Naturally the families are distraught and blaming the govt, not that I blame them, and the newspapers will make hay of the whole matter, and them I do blame...

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 24 November 2017, 12:09:24 »
The problem is that the Argentinian navy has very little money to maintain ships/subs.  And really, sending out out even after a 'refit' is iffy.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #48 on: 24 November 2017, 16:05:21 »
So very sad, to lose a ship with no real reason why.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 25 November 2017, 00:14:02 »
So very sad, to lose a ship with no real reason why.

I'd not be surprised if it wasn't a battery fire/explosion.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #50 on: 25 November 2017, 12:56:42 »
I'd not be surprised if it wasn't a battery fire/explosion.

That is the current theory.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
Go to red alert!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #52 on: 28 November 2017, 04:32:05 »
The article says they would continue submerged when they were ordered home. Why would they do that? Why not return home on the surface?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 28 November 2017, 05:06:56 »
The article says they would continue submerged when they were ordered home. Why would they do that? Why not return home on the surface?

Modern subs are terrible on the surface, and the sea conditions in that part of the world at this time of year would be damn near suicidal for the sub to run on the surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VreYpuvqXpE

A sub on the surface in that would capsize or roll hard enough to cause some severe issues with stuff inside, torpedoes rolling about, fuel sloshing and causing her to roll, all terribly bad stuff.  It was safer to keep her under the water  because surfacing WOULD have killed them, the battery problem, MAY have, but in this case it did.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #54 on: 28 November 2017, 12:31:50 »
Must been alot water leaking through the periscope... Wow, what terrible thing to happen. It's too bad they didn't surface when first signs trouble with first battery happened.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 28 November 2017, 13:49:30 »
They basically couldn't surface, those waves would have capsized the sub.Surfacing was suicide :(

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 28 November 2017, 14:03:55 »
Must been alot water leaking through the periscope...
The snorkel isn't the periscope.  It's an air intake for the diesel engines so that you can run them while submerged, and use the diesels to recharge your batteries.  Clearly the wave action was pretty serious to flood the thing, which killed said diesels and any chances she had.

I wonder if the snorkel's floatation system failed, putting it into the sea directly and letting pressure do the rest.  Certainly would explain why it flooded so badly it took the main batts with it.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: 30 November 2017, 07:28:56 »
The snorkel isn't the periscope.  It's an air intake for the diesel engines so that you can run them while submerged, and use the diesels to recharge your batteries.  Clearly the wave action was pretty serious to flood the thing, which killed said diesels and any chances she had.

I wonder if the snorkel's floatation system failed, putting it into the sea directly and letting pressure do the rest.  Certainly would explain why it flooded so badly it took the main batts with it.

Commissioned in 1985, wouldn't have been a float for the check valve it would have been a simple flapper. Even if they didn't flood that way, they would have choked their engines without air. :-(

Rest in peace sailors, your watch has drawn to an untimely close.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #58 on: 30 November 2017, 08:15:42 »
Commissioned in 1985, wouldn't have been a float for the check valve it would have been a simple flapper. Even if they didn't flood that way, they would have choked their engines without air. :-(

Rest in peace sailors, your watch has drawn to an untimely close.
Worse than you think. If the air intake was incapacitated without an auto shutoff for the diesel engines, it would consume all air INSIDE the sub, potentially killing the crew.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #59 on: 30 November 2017, 08:23:58 »
There were reports she was having trouble with her batteries.  USS Cochino and USS Bonefish both suffered battery explosions and fires aboard, Cochino was lost (with only one fatality) while Bonefish was towed back in with 18 dead.  Clinically, I'm betting it was something like this - though I do wonder; you'd think an implosion would be something SOSUS could pick up.  Noone's mentioned such a thing, at least not publicly, so I wonder if the sub never crossed crush depth.
Seems you were right on the money with this one.

Has anything been said about search and recovery of the presumed wreck?

Register