Author Topic: Alpha Strike Companion - Unit Types & Lance Types  (Read 3064 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Alpha Strike Companion - Unit Types & Lance Types
« on: 26 November 2017, 21:26:24 »
So I'm a bit late to the party & just got a hold of the AS Companion and was reading about the mech classes and building lance types.

A few questions have come up.

How "fixed" is the classification given to a unit by the AS Card?

For Example:  Take the Stalker-3F which is classified as a "Juggernaut".  I agree that it is the primary role of a Stalker.
However, based on the characteristics of a "Missile Boat" that it could also be classified in that role.

How would you classify the following lance?

Marauder-3D   (Brawler)
LongBow-7Q   (Missile Boat)
Awesome-8Q   (Sniper)
Stalker-3F    (Juggernaut)

I feel that lance could easily be called a Fire lance but currently it doesn't qualify.
However, IMO, the Marauder & Stalker could be classified as different unit types, Sniper & Missile Boat respectively.

Do you have to follow the AS Card designations exactly or if something can be more than type can you use the secondary classification?

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Alpha Strike Companion - Unit Types & Lance Types
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2017, 21:28:52 »
There are no secondary classifications.  What you see is what you get (unfortunately).  The roles are too subjective to do it any other way, for exactly the reasons you cited.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2017, 21:37:44 »
2nd Question.

Cyclops-10Q   (Missile Boat)
BattleMaster-2C   (Brawler)
Rifleman-3C    (Brawler)
Stinger-LAM    (Scout)

From what I'm seeing it can only be called a Support Lance.
Its supposed to be a Command lance but it doesn't quite fit the bill.

I'm thinking if I swap the Rifleman out for a "Sniper" configuration then I can classify it as a proper Command Lance.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2017, 21:38:11 »
See also some related questions.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2017, 21:42:33 »
2nd Question.

Cyclops-10Q   (Missile Boat)
BattleMaster-2C   (Brawler)
Rifleman-3C    (Brawler)
Stinger-LAM    (Scout)

From what I'm seeing it can only be called a Support Lance.
Its supposed to be a Command lance but it doesn't quite fit the bill.

I'm thinking if I swap the Rifleman out for a "Sniper" configuration then I can classify it as a proper Command Lance.

Correct on all counts.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2017, 21:43:58 »
There are no secondary classifications.  What you see is what you get (unfortunately).  The roles are too subjective to do it any other way, for exactly the reasons you cited.

So why are there descriptions of what it takes to classify for each category by specs.

For example, Scouts & Strikers are almost identical in what it takes to qualify for them.

Would you use the stat requirements on P134-136 for custom units if they are not used for "secondary" classifications?

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2017, 21:45:42 »
No.  What's on the card is what's on the card, there is no such thing as a 'secondary' role.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2017, 21:46:09 »
So why are there descriptions of what it takes to classify for each category by specs.

For example, Scouts & Strikers are almost identical in what it takes to qualify for them.

Would you use the stat requirements on P134-136 for custom units if they are not used for "secondary" classifications?

Really, click the link upthread. All those questions are answered by the devs.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2017, 21:47:22 »
See also some related questions.

Thank you, yes, I was thinking that those 9-12 should all read 10+

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 30 November 2017, 15:41:57 »
A couple other questions have come up as I go through the formation creation rules in regards to the SPA.

For units that qualify for multiple lance designations, you have to pick one, are the SPA assigned to them any better or worse than any others.

For Example.

Lucky-6 from Heavy Battle Lance  v/s   Demorilizer or Multitasker x2 from Assault Lance

or

Blood Stalker v/s Speed Demon in the Cavalry/Pursuit line lances.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 30 November 2017, 16:14:02 »
An old thread discusses the pros and cons of this formation vs that one.  Do keep in mind though that there's been some significant errata and clarifications that affect many of the thoughts expressed in the thread.

To update my positions expressed in that old thread:

Battle Lance: Still the gold standard, even at a cap of 1 reroll per turn.  The fungible nature of those rerolls across the units of the lance is still borderline broken-good.

Striker Lance: +2" of movement is very, very good (even when it's not modifying TMM).  Particularly in hexless play, where you can nudge *just out* of this or that guy's firing arc.

Fire Lance: Still good, but a bit indirectly nerfed by the Scout lance getting nerfed.  Still, they're good enough I'd probably still more likely than not take one in a company where I only get to pick 3 kinds of lances.

Scout Lance: They're ok, which is a far fall from "broken good".

Pursuit: Went from hot garbage to viable via the errata that allows their Blood Stalker "virtual SPAs" to apply to a whole target formation, rather than a specific unit.

Assault: Went from hot garbage to viable via the errata and clarifications to Demoralizer (i.e. it gets high TMM units killed dead)

Command: Meh.  I'd place it least good of the lot, but because nothing SUCKS now instead of Command being terrible in of itself.

And since then there's been some new lance types available in the abortive CM series:

Demi-Company: Hot garbage *if* you're not using the FP building system *and* you're representing a unit that used Demi-companies.  Pretty much just exists to not punish you for sticking to canon with the Black Thorns if you're using FPs.  So yeah, still kind of not broadly appealing.

Security Lance: more intrigued by the possibilities here than with Command Lance, but that's my personal preference

Horde Lance:  Try it out for the lolz, keep playing it for the board control it brings by switching who your opponent is shooting at.

Order Lance: Kurita specific, but if you don't mind embracing your inner Drac this is a neat way to represent the discipline and skill of Bushido-obsessed mechwarriors.  (AS always needed something like a Kurita version of Zell)

Berserker Lance: Play it for the lolz.  Why not give it a shot if you have 2 (exactly 2) MEL mechs in your list?

Anti-Mech Lance:  Finally, something to do with Infantry besides designating them a Support Lance.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 01 December 2017, 20:24:41 »
Thanks TDC, quite the read following those links.

I have a better idea on some things now.

Question, what happened to Recon lances to Nerf them?  I can't seem to find that.

Also,  I'm working up classifying a reinforced company & looking to get opinions what to classify a couple of the lances.

So this unit is probably the most mobile in a battalion+ force that I used to use, all mech Jump & the slowest are 4-6-4

BATTLE  --  Victor-9B,  GrassHopper5H,  Wolverine-6M,  Hatchetman-3F
??????  --  ShadowHawk-2H,  Griffin-1N,  Trebuchet-5J,  Dervish-6M
??????  --  PhoenixHawk-1D,  Vulcan-5T,  Vulcan-5T,  Wasp-1A
CAVALRY  --  Drillson,  Drillson,  Karnov,  Savannah Master
SUPPORT  --  Jump Infantry

I'm trying not to double up on the same lance types but its hard not to just add in a 2nd Battle/Cavalry lance for my Light & Medium lances.
Any suggestions? 

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 01 December 2017, 21:24:17 »
The Forward Observer SPA, granted by the Recon Lance, was changed. Recon Lance itself wasn't directly changed.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Register