Author Topic: Map with Lightyears + Sarna Info  (Read 2652 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Map with Lightyears + Sarna Info
« on: 02 December 2017, 18:35:43 »
A couple questions for the community out there.

Do we have any IS map with actual LY distances between planets?

Where does Sarna get the data for its "Planets in 30/60 LY radius" section for the planetary neighbors list?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Easy

• Warrant Officer
Re: Map with Lightyears + Sarna Info
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2017, 19:14:14 »
There is a map with line distance numbers: Inner Sphere Stellar Cartography Project. Other maps might provide Jump route distances, like MekHQ, which is a discrete value that you might be interested in if your not Jumping 'as the crow flies', which is rarely done*. ISCP has (or did have) data files available to justify the calculations. They might have the same sources as Sarna.

FYI: 30/60ly visual scale;

30 light years and 60 light years have special significance because they are JumpDrive ranges.

The HPG communication range is 50 light years and probably close enough to 60 (for a visual representation box and general scope of relevant nearby systems) to be the convenient scale to use by default.

*Except for LF battery equipped ships, which might jump to deep space on the first leg of a double jump, the significant risk of winding up lost forever, in that 'deep space' off of the known routes, prompt ship captains to restrict routing, (except in the most dramatic circumstances, you figure, right?) so that the recharge cycle happens somewhere close enough to human habitation for a distress call.
« Last Edit: 02 December 2017, 19:22:24 by Easy »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2017, 02:43:37 »
The maps on Sarna were generated by bot when the wiki was first set up, as were the initial system articles. Sarna had used an older version of the ISCS data for this where a number of errors crept in and many systems were missing altogether (or were only written in later).

While the articles have since been corrected, updated, expanded and added to, the old image files with the jump radii haven't been changed since the wiki was created. They still contain all the original errors, inaccuracies and omissions.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2017, 03:19:51 »
Basically, the original House books had planet lists with X,Y coordinates in them, which allowed you to form a map.

Said generated maps have since then been corrected to account for coordinate errors - with a ruling that the visual maps in the House Books took precedence over the coordinate list when there were disreprencies.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2017, 09:20:35 »
One more thing: The current most up-to-date and user-friendly fan project for BattleTech starmaps can be found here:

http://www.gruese.de/innersphere/
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2017, 14:02:25 »
There is a map with line distance numbers: Inner Sphere Stellar Cartography Project. Other maps might provide Jump route distances, like MekHQ, which is a discrete value that you might be interested in if your not Jumping 'as the crow flies', which is rarely done*. ISCP has (or did have) data files available to justify the calculations. They might have the same sources as Sarna.

FYI: 30/60ly visual scale;

30 light years and 60 light years have special significance because they are JumpDrive ranges.

The HPG communication range is 50 light years and probably close enough to 60 (for a visual representation box and general scope of relevant nearby systems) to be the convenient scale to use by default.

Thank you for this link.  I'm loving this site map to accurately plot distances.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2017, 14:04:32 »
The maps on Sarna were generated by bot when the wiki was first set up, as were the initial system articles. Sarna had used an older version of the ISCS data for this where a number of errors crept in and many systems were missing altogether (or were only written in later).

While the articles have since been corrected, updated, expanded and added to, the old image files with the jump radii haven't been changed since the wiki was created. They still contain all the original errors, inaccuracies and omissions.

Ah, thanks, yes, I used to just use the list of nearby planets & always found odd little missing ones that I knew should be there.
Or places that appeared in 2 different locations based on which nearby planet you were looking at.
  (Blue Diamond sticks out to me here which appears near Terra & yet also near Coventry IIRC)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2017, 14:06:19 »
Basically, the original House books had planet lists with X,Y coordinates in them, which allowed you to form a map.

Said generated maps have since then been corrected to account for coordinate errors - with a ruling that the visual maps in the House Books took precedence over the coordinate list when there were disreprencies. 

Ah, thanks Oystein, I have the house books from the 80's but I wasn't sure if that was how the Sarna distances were calculated or not.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2017, 14:44:31 »
One more thing: The current most up-to-date and user-friendly fan project for BattleTech starmaps can be found here:

http://www.gruese.de/innersphere/

That is an interesting map, but, it doesn't seem quite right for 3025.

Goshen in Liao hands?
Liao in Davion hands?

Just a couple that stick out at me right away.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #9 on: 03 December 2017, 20:47:56 »

C'mon Frabby, just say that they were Comstar's " Official " Map of the Sphere, circa 3010 or something like that. Like how 3025-6 and 3039 are " Comstar " technical readouts.

;)

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Register