Author Topic: Hypothetical Question  (Read 2162 times)

2ndAcr

• Captain
Hypothetical Question
« on: 04 December 2017, 19:44:46 »
  Could a 2784 merc unit use but be able to conceal a Tracker from the House's? Say they did not use it as a warship but kept it as a armed guard for their jump fleet. Conceal it as a Merchant.

Or if not conceal, then be able to actually keep it or do you think the Houses would impound it.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Hypothetical Question
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2017, 20:01:42 »
As long as they kept it acting like a Merchant, and as far as possible avoided boarding, it's possible.

Given JumpShips tend to stay at the jump points & send their DropShips in, the latter isn't as hard as it might be.

The real problem will be finding parts, for anything that's milspec rather than civilian grade.

Sounds like some great plot hooks in the idea!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2017, 20:22:46 »
 Wonder how far the Houses actually board a Merc unit's vessels. Yeah keeping the thing running might be pretty hard, can't just schedule a stop at a ship yard for a maintenance stop when your trying to hold onto a warship, even if it is barely armed.

Was always curious, the Blue Star's captured and were allowed to keep their warship. Dragoons had theirs, of course no House had a navy to even attempt a take away, but 1SW era, everyone had a warship navy.

I figure a Tracker won't massively destabilize a long running campaign, I even toyed with a Vigilant, but that is much more a warship and I can easily see a House saying "Mine".

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2017, 20:47:45 »
IIRC didn't Doctor Banzai help the AFFS recover some "combat jumpships" in some of the early early fluff from FASA? Trackers would seem a probable explanation for that (presumably they proved too difficult to repair in the 3rd succession war era and were either mothballed or pulled apart for study)

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2017, 06:00:17 »
Call it a Jolly Roger and go about your business.  Armed JumpShips were certainly in operation during that time, in fact, the LCS Invincible operated until ~2853.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2017, 13:48:27 »
IIRC didn't Doctor Banzai help the AFFS recover some "combat jumpships" in some of the early early fluff from FASA? Trackers would seem a probable explanation for that (presumably they proved too difficult to repair in the 3rd succession war era and were either mothballed or pulled apart for study)
You got a reference for this?

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2017, 19:19:37 »
 Yeah but LCS Invincible was a Lyran Navy vessel. I am talking about a Merc unit having one. Of course it will be a pretty beefy unit.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #7 on: 05 December 2017, 20:59:57 »
You got a reference for this?
it got mentioned in an old WotW, where it was brought up due to the "early installment weirdness" element of having predated the term Warship, instead talking of "combat jumpships". sadly i think we are now on our third forum since then, so i'm not sure if i can find the post in question.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 06 December 2017, 08:14:16 »
  Could a 2784 merc unit use but be able to conceal a Tracker from the House's? Say they did not use it as a warship but kept it as a armed guard for their jump fleet. Conceal it as a Merchant.

Or if not conceal, then be able to actually keep it or do you think the Houses would impound it.

Short-term, yes.  Long-term, absolutely not.  Either it would be forced to reveal itself when the fleet got attacked when their employer sent them on some suicide mission or another or maintenance/repair issues would rear their head and the unit would be forced to get rid of it.  However, other than its ability to appear to be a merchant vessel, the Tracker isn't that effective a WarShip but then it was designed for surveillance duties not combat.  The only reason it even rated that designation was solely for its compact K-F drive.  While one might want to use it for surveillance one would run the risk of an enemy accidentally dragooning the 'merchant vessel' for its own use if not outright seizing it.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #9 on: 06 December 2017, 08:33:12 »
And there's another issue.  A white robed techno-fundie cult shaped one.  If they find out (and they probably will)  then you'll hear the REEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! of anger from the First Circuit and then there will be LOTS of attempts at perfectly explainable but terribly unfortunate 'accidents' for the Mercs as Comstar either tries to get the ship for themselves, or to eliminate its presence.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #10 on: 06 December 2017, 09:26:18 »
And there's another issue.  A white robed techno-fundie cult shaped one.  If they find out (and they probably will)  then you'll hear the REEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! of anger from the First Circuit and then there will be LOTS of attempts at perfectly explainable but terribly unfortunate 'accidents' for the Mercs as Comstar either tries to get the ship for themselves, or to eliminate its presence.

And this is why Old School Comstar is awesome.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #11 on: 06 December 2017, 10:10:47 »
And this is why Old School Comstar is awesome.

You sir? You are not wrong. I like the cut of your jib robe.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #12 on: 06 December 2017, 10:31:40 »
'ol School Adeptus Mecha...COMSTAR was a 'fun' bunch.  My friend and I who I played B-Tech with a lot of use to go "Peace of Blake be with youuuu..." And then make enigmatic sounding "Nyaaaahhhhh..." noises.

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Register