Author Topic: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom  (Read 4914 times)

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
« on: 08 December 2017, 14:02:16 »
Here we go with the first trailer to the follow-up to Jurassic World.

Interesting...

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2017, 15:29:41 »
For the love of God, put this franchise out of it's misery already.

The original was the only one worth a damn!
I have spoken.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2017, 15:55:03 »
Is it just me, or was Jeff Goldbloom's speech during that trailer completely nonsensical given the visuals?

Like you want the trailer to end with the politician saying. "Umm, okay, sure, but the island is going to explode."

Though from an aesthetic point, I do like that the relationship of the main characters from Jurassic World didn't work out. You don't see enough of these "Suddenly in love in high pressure situations" things crash and burn.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2017, 15:56:36 by Liam's Ghost »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2017, 16:01:18 »
i disagree, i think they've been doing a great job.. and IMO, TLW was the best one.

i am curious.. if it is a rescue for the Dino's on Nublar, where are they planning to release them? Sorna? i also find it odd that they'd be holding hearings on whether to extend legal protections to the Dinosaurs only now, instead of after the San Diego incident in 1997. [Official Timeline]. certainly Hammond's little speech at the end of the film would seem to imply he was pushing for them to be considered endangered species'.

Is it just me, or was Jeff Goldbloom's speech during that trailer completely nonsensical given the visuals?

Like you want the trailer to end with the politician saying. "Umm, okay, sure, but the island is going to explode."

Though from an aesthetic point, I do like that the relationship of the main characters from Jurassic World didn't work out. You don't see enough of these "Suddenly in love in high pressure situations" things crash and burn.
well, trailers usually mix up things asynchronously. i get the feeling the events in the hearing either predate the discovery of the eruption (and its results are what lets them attempt the rescues) or will come in after animals are rescued off the island, and the subject of the hearings is what to do with them (release them on sorna, sell them, build a 3rd park, etc)
« Last Edit: 08 December 2017, 16:04:17 by glitterboy2098 »

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2017, 16:30:26 »
For the love of God, put this franchise out of it's misery already.

The original was the only one worth a damn!

This, so this.

I think they just did it in the trailer to point back towards the first film.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2017, 17:01:00 »

IMO that wasn't even a relationship.  Just him having the hots for her and she wasn't reciprocating..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2017, 17:09:19 »
IMO that wasn't even a relationship.  Just him having the hots for her and she wasn't reciprocating..

They do a big climactic face sucking towards the end. Sometimes Hollywood insists that's enough.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 09 December 2017, 00:02:08 »
I felt that was more of a "DAMN we made hit, celebratory kiss"..  Much like i've seen in some businesses after a big deal goes through.. 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #8 on: 09 December 2017, 02:36:36 »
i disagree, i think they've been doing a great job.. and IMO, TLW was the best one.

The movie in which every single thing that went wrong was a direct result of the "heroes'" actions?

To be honest, I'm probably going to see this just because it looks like it's going to have a Baryonyx (though I'm sure it's only going to be on screen for a minute or two tops).  Given how awful Lost World and 3 were, this film is almost certain to at least be better than them.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2017, 07:02:29 »
I liked 3.  As a stulod action flick.  2 was by far the worst I saw

Then again I skipped JW
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 09 December 2017, 07:50:37 »
I liked 3.  As a stulod action flick.  2 was by far the worst I saw

Then again I skipped JW

I thoroughly enjoyed JW, but I think JP was the better movie. That being said, it's a movie about cloned dinosaurs, realism left the house so many years ago it's not funny...

I'm looking forward to this one, my son loves these movies so I get to see him excited and happy, and that's more than enough for me! It's how I got through Cars 2 and Planes 2, after all.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #11 on: 09 December 2017, 17:34:23 »
JP and JP4 were really good movies. The other 2 not so much. The 4th was just a remake of the 1st with many of the same plot.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 09 December 2017, 17:41:42 »
hmmm... might be entertaining. To bad they don't need a black programmer in this one. Or was he eaten in the first JP...

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #13 on: 09 December 2017, 18:43:02 »
"we need to save the Dinosaurs!"

Wasn't there a whole other island full of them in two movies?
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #14 on: 09 December 2017, 19:59:36 »

still is, as far as i can tell. but the total population of dino's would be so low that if they are being treated as endangered species, you'd still want to preserve as many as possible from Nublar. and if they aren't being treated as endangered species, and instead as corporate property.. well Ingen can't really get new dino's off sorna, so rescuing the Nublar population would still be cheaper than cloning all new ones for a new park somewhere else.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 09 December 2017, 20:03:44 »

Somewhere in their expanded universe, I think it mentions that all of the dinosaurs from the second island were moved to the first, or napalmed by the costa ricans, or otherwise taken out of the picture. So... maybe?

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #16 on: 10 December 2017, 19:04:30 »
Somewhere in their expanded universe, I think it mentions that all of the dinosaurs from the second island were moved to the first, or napalmed by the costa ricans, or otherwise taken out of the picture. So... maybe?

The original novels had the island being firebombed by the Costa Ricans. So many changes have happened between the books and the movies I doubt that stayed the same.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
« Reply #17 on: 10 December 2017, 20:39:10 »
I do love the first JP and liked JW.  IMO for Jurassic World, the CGI are pretty cartoony with the blinking dinosaurs and such.  But the climax was friggin awesome!  Nostalgia Critic was right, the climax was worth the price of admission (even though I've sided with Doug Walker's brother Rob in terms of opinions in their Sibling Rivalry of JW).  Anyways, back to JW, it was okay, it's still watchable IMO.  I don't really like the Lost World nor JP3, especially the scene that was (IMO) a scare fail of a raptor saying "Alan!" it's not that scary to me.  I'm looking forward to Fallen Kingdom and hopefully they do a better job with the CGI for the final production

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 11 December 2017, 02:46:12 »
Strange, i don't remember seeing "blinking" dinos..

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 11 December 2017, 06:19:37 »
I liked Jurassic World, Crisp Rat hits my funnybone just right, and Bryce Dallas Howard is surprisingly hot - so why not.

Both Jurassic Park and Lost World were hits for me as a kid. I had nightmares about the kitchen raptor scene for literal years. (As I grew up those nightmares evolved into me killing the raptors in all sorts of unlikely ways. I wonder what the p-shrinks say about that...)

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 14 December 2017, 06:59:28 »
I liked Jurassic World, Crisp Rat hits my funnybone just right, and Bryce Dallas Howard is surprisingly hot - so why not.

Both Jurassic Park and Lost World were hits for me as a kid. I had nightmares about the kitchen raptor scene for literal years. (As I grew up those nightmares evolved into me killing the raptors in all sorts of unlikely ways. I wonder what the p-shrinks say about that...)

Eh, I suffer from occasional lucid dreaming, it's not fun, apparently it's quite common in gamers because we are used to identifying and seeking to control synthetic environments. :-P

That being said, I think JP really got the dinosaurs right, the smart ones weren't unrealistically smart, they were generally just methodical at solving problems. Most of the movies display the smart ones as highly intelligent, more akin to Dinosaur Train than realistic appraisals of just how intelligent a dinosaur is. That's probably JPs selling point, they chose some really, really good actors who were believable in there roles, and did everything as realistically as they could.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 14 December 2017, 11:24:44 »
Eh, I suffer from occasional lucid dreaming, it's not fun, apparently it's quite common in gamers because we are used to identifying and seeking to control synthetic environments. :-P

That being said, I think JP really got the dinosaurs right, the smart ones weren't unrealistically smart, they were generally just methodical at solving problems. Most of the movies display the smart ones as highly intelligent, more akin to Dinosaur Train than realistic appraisals of just how intelligent a dinosaur is. That's probably JPs selling point, they chose some really, really good actors who were believable in there roles, and did everything as realistically as they could.
the Indominus Rex was a decent stab at giving a dino chimp-level intelligence. (The Predator-level camouflage was over the top.)

After JP2 I watched the Star Wars remasters and my dreams instantly morphed into blasting Velociraptors with X-wings*. Not sure I believe in lucid dreaming but I constantly have so-called sleep paralysis when I'm stressed or tired, and my dreams always follow what's uppermost on my mind - work, study, love life, etc. I think its a useful insight into my subconscious, so I've trained myself to remember my dreams.

* har har

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 14 December 2017, 12:22:57 »
the Indominus Rex was a decent stab at giving a dino chimp-level intelligence. (The Predator-level camouflage was over the top.)

The I Rex had abstract reasoning that was well beyond chimp level.  Heck, it was beyond the level of many humans, what with it's ability to, with no actual experience, figure out that its implant was a tracking device and use it to set an ambush.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #23 on: 14 December 2017, 18:41:43 »
Huh.  Not sure about this one.  Will deliver big stompy dinos eating people if nothing else.

The I Rex had abstract reasoning that was well beyond chimp level.  Heck, it was beyond the level of many humans, what with it's ability to, with no actual experience, figure out that its implant was a tracking device and use it to set an ambush.
Yeah, one of the film's multiple "WTF" plot moments.  Had they just changed that to "It got in a fight with (insert dino here), and the tracked got torn out", it would have been far more believable.  Or the tracker breaks and they get ambushed at the I-Rex's last known location.  Something other than the young, non-socialized, psychopathic dino remembering the tracker, knowing what it does, and somehow removing it by itself.

Heck, now that I think about it, weren't those tracker things supposed to be able to shock the dinos?  Why did that not get used even once?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 14 December 2017, 19:18:47 »
For the same reason that none of the crews sent to contain and then kill it had weaponry that was remotely sufficient (except for one rocket launcher that apparently had no reloads).

Really, the point about the I Rex actually being secretly engineered as a living weapon and thus designed to be resistant to conventional anti-dino weapons and tactics should have been played up more to explain why it was so unstoppable instead of having the entire crew look like a bunch of idiots.
« Last Edit: 14 December 2017, 19:21:26 by MoneyLovinOgre4Hire »

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #25 on: 14 December 2017, 21:08:25 »
What I really loved ::) was the scene where it escapes from the enclosure.  By breaking through concrete a couple yard thick (I'm sure I was not the only one who noticed it was trapped between the wall and door and broke out by breaking concrete and buckling a thick steel vault door).  Or bumps the crane and rocks it hard, yeah the 150k pound crane with it's jacks lowered.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 14 December 2017, 21:54:53 »
I was more hung up on the fact that the enclosure's only exit was large enough for the I Rex to fit through and closed at the speed of an arthritic turtle with a broken leg.  And that there were no other physical containment measures so once it was through said door it had free run of the entire park (unless the kids set it loose when they drove through the gate, which I'm now going to consider the reason it escaped to the visitor center).

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 14 December 2017, 23:04:19 »

[/quote]
The I Rex was well above chimp level, able to communicate effectively with a totally different species some incredibly complex concepts, among other things. The real problem I have with most of the JP series (barring JP itself) and indeed with most animal antagonists, is that the producer makes the animal unrealistically capable.

After JP2 I watched the Star Wars remasters and my dreams instantly morphed into blasting Velociraptors with X-wings*. Not sure I believe in lucid dreaming but I constantly have so-called sleep paralysis when I'm stressed or tired, and my dreams always follow what's uppermost on my mind - work, study, love life, etc. I think its a useful insight into my subconscious, so I've trained myself to remember my dreams.
* har har

It all depends, did you realise you were dreaming? That's the important part, everything else is gravy, adding new information into dreams is just what the subconscious does. If you know you are dreaming, you are lucid dreaming, otherwise it's just a dream(or nightmare).

Lucid dreaming is also a scientifically recognized phenomena, I was grilled for hours by a psyche about it, including emails months down the track, after I made the mistake of mentioning it to her. >.<

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #28 on: 14 December 2017, 23:19:03 »
Saw the trailer before TLJ.  'Looks' good.  But then again they all do.  Not sure about the storynas presented.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #29 on: 14 December 2017, 23:31:47 »
I was more hung up on the fact that the enclosure's only exit was large enough for the I Rex to fit through and closed at the speed of an arthritic turtle with a broken leg.  And that there were no other physical containment measures so once it was through said door it had free run of the entire park (unless the kids set it loose when they drove through the gate, which I'm now going to consider the reason it escaped to the visitor center).
It wasn't, if you noticed there was a personnel door as well, not twenty feet from the big vault door, instead they used the big door.  Still bad design is one thing, flesh and bone somehow managing to be stronger than large amounts of concrete and steel is particularly egregious. 
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

Register