Author Topic: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom  (Read 4916 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
« Reply #30 on: 15 December 2017, 00:23:43 »
It is.  What they really should have done was have Hoskins deliberately release the I Rex to create an emergency in order to test the idea of weaponized dinosaurs.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 15 December 2017, 02:21:27 »
It is.  What they really should have done was have Hoskins deliberately release the I Rex to create an emergency in order to test the idea of weaponized dinosaurs.

That breaks the JP aesthetic. If you look at them all, the JP movies are all about underestimating nature. The catastrophe being caused by human error compounded by human greed compounded by dangerous animals. Crichton wrote the original highlighting this, with both Hammond and Nedry being not particularly likable people, but not terrible people. Hammond was a hard nosed businessman, and Nedry was an IT contractor. The only really questionable one was Dodgson, who didn't deliberately sabotage the systems but did effectively cause it when he corrupted an already disgruntled Nedry.

Having one character in the movie be mustache twirlingly evil breaks this aesthetic.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #32 on: 15 December 2017, 10:59:59 »
Having "heroes" that actively sabotaged everyone's safety in The Lost World movie already broke that aesthetic.  Having Hoskins let the I Rex loose because of his greed would have fit better than yet another case of the park having containment measures that were apparently built out of Styrofoam and stale Cheez Whiz.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 15 December 2017, 12:08:57 »
Hoskins took advantage of the emergency to test weaponised velociraptors. Close enough.

the Indominus Rex was a decent stab at giving a dino chimp-level intelligence. (The Predator-level camouflage was over the top.)

The I Rex was well above chimp level, able to communicate effectively with a totally different species some incredibly complex concepts, among other things. The real problem I have with most of the JP series (barring JP itself) and indeed with most animal antagonists, is that the producer makes the animal unrealistically capable.

It all depends, did you realise you were dreaming? That's the important part, everything else is gravy, adding new information into dreams is just what the subconscious does. If you know you are dreaming, you are lucid dreaming, otherwise it's just a dream(or nightmare).

Lucid dreaming is also a scientifically recognized phenomena, I was grilled for hours by a psyche about it, including emails months down the track, after I made the mistake of mentioning it to her. >.<
Its extremely rare that I have a dream in which I don't know I'm dreaming. Usually only in periods of extreme stress and lack of sleep. It happens in my head like a movie I watch, but with added "5-D emotional effect" - like I can feel the fear of a nightmare or the exhilaration of a good dream, and almost simultaneously think "oh this is a shitty/nice dream tonight".

I wrote a long post about the Indominus that boils down to - after seeing the hijinks my dopey dog pulls on me, I don't doubt a slightly smarter animal could do what the Indominus did. The feat with the tracker is a combination of 2 known animal traits - the ability to link objects with people, and the habit of hoarding and defending trinkets.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #34 on: 15 December 2017, 13:57:38 »
Your dog has learned over its life about linking objects with people and behaviors.  The I Rex spent its entire life inside a cage and successfully linked the implant it received as a baby to  humans being able to track it on the first guess before the humans had even found it.  It then proceeded to cut the tracker out of itself with its claws and use it to set up an ambush.  That's a level of deductive reasoning beyond what could be expected for a human who grew up in those circumstances.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 15 December 2017, 15:08:32 »
Your dog has learned over its life about linking objects with people and behaviors.  The I Rex spent its entire life inside a cage and successfully linked the implant it received as a baby to  humans being able to track it on the first guess before the humans had even found it.  It then proceeded to cut the tracker out of itself with its claws and use it to set up an ambush.  That's a level of deductive reasoning beyond what could be expected for a human who grew up in those circumstances.
Animals link objects with observed phenomena, not just humans or pack-mates e.g. they can learn how to operate door handles as well. It's true that the movie's implication that I-rex set up an ambush is a little far-fetched.

My fan theory though - that tracker is larger and bigger round than a smartwatch (see below). It was probably implanted when I-rex was a young adult*, and is possibly big enough to feel uncomfortable. Like Blue and my dog, who both hate collars, I-rex clawed it out in a fit of freedom-inspired spite. But (like my dog) it then kept the item, unsure whether to abandon it or not. That's when the capture team found it - so it was a matter of chance, not necessarily a premeditated ambush**.

*a preteen T-rex is about the size of a large dog. An implant that size would have to be inserted when I-rex was at least the size of an SUV. Alternatively, if progressively larger implants were inserted since it was a baby (a little unlikely) then it would have remembered the frequent operations**.

**in which case IF one accepts that the I-rex is smart enough to link implant with humans e.g. by repeated insertions, then even for a dog it would be intuitive to linger a little and see if humans (prey? enemies?) come to get the removed implant.

of course this is all just fun fan theorycrafting ;D

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 15 December 2017, 15:28:52 »
Notice the fresh blood and the lack of rot on the meat in that scene.  Remember, this is a tropical island: fresh meat and fat starts to rot within hours in that environment.

Register