Author Topic: Help for my brother  (Read 1919 times)

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
Help for my brother
« on: 12 December 2017, 15:30:37 »
This is not a way to garner financial support but to ask for help to try and see if anyone here knows if there are One-Handed PS4 controllers out there since my brother lost his left arm in an accident a couple of days ago. He was an avid PS4 gamer until this happened and now I am trying to help him still game while he is recuperating
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
Re: Help for my brother
« Reply #1 on: 12 December 2017, 15:55:54 »
Grizpaw One (Left or Right) Handed Game Controller - Pc Ps2 Ps3 (Xbox 360 & One, Ps4, Wii with Adapters) Ideal for Disabled Players. That is what I came across on Amazon.

Consider searches with various keywords much like the above.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2017, 16:30:43 »
Youtube search for "one-handed game controllers" turns up some stuff (LINK).  Looks to mostly be "how-to" vids for making your own, but may be something useful there.  A couple about how some people have learned to play with standard controllers using one hand as well

Edit:
HERE is one mod that looks simpler to make (compared to some of the other videos I've gone through).

Using a mouse as a one-handed PS4 controller - LINK
« Last Edit: 12 December 2017, 16:46:37 by Siden Pryde »

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2017, 01:28:48 »
Thanks, I will check those all out; I also suggested that he try moving onto PC gaming as well

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2017, 06:37:52 »
Thanks, I will check those all out; I also suggested that he try moving onto PC gaming as well

Not the best move IMO. PC gaming evolved with a lot more button mashing and the mouse, console gaming is far more one hand friendly if you can get a controller with the right utility.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2017, 08:27:29 »
Not the best move IMO. PC gaming evolved with a lot more button mashing and the mouse, console gaming is far more one hand friendly if you can get a controller with the right utility.
PC is highly customizable, more so than the console, though and plenty of options for one hand.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2017, 13:30:36 »
I have to argue against that. PC has a good number of games that can be played with a mouse alone. Sid Meier's Civilization series and most titles with Archon game engine (starting with Battle Academy) count. And MegaMek.

PC also has joysticks which can be used one-handed. CH Flightstick Pro and Fighterstick qualify.
« Last Edit: 14 December 2017, 13:32:22 by Matti »
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2017, 13:42:23 »
Joysticks are enjoying a bit of a revival alongside fighting games. Not sure how much dexterity your brother will have remaining in his left limb, but I've seen people use fight sticks with damaged hands before, a prosethetic could probably use one as well.

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 14 December 2017, 14:03:21 »
He has a little bit below the elbow; enough for a prosthetic at the very least

Looked into joysticks as well; it seems that the Xbox has made steps for one handed gamers more than Sony has

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 14 December 2017, 14:10:42 »
He has a little bit below the elbow; enough for a prosthetic at the very least

Looked into joysticks as well; it seems that the Xbox has made steps for one handed gamers more than Sony has
you know in a screwy way that kind of makes sense, because xbox is a division of Microsoft, and Microsoft started out as a pc (software) company.

on the other hand, I think Sony has been working on the other end, by working on better prosthetics/robotics.

I realize that may not directly help your brother but just tossing it out there.

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 14 December 2017, 14:14:51 »
It's fine and he is in good spirits for now; just trying to get some normalcy back in his life somewhat given all the downtime he now has. After all, he can no longer play Destiny 2 or FF14

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 14 December 2017, 16:06:34 »
Check out Ben Heck (https://www.benheck.com/controllers/). He made his name building custom mods for consoles and then started making one handed controllers by request.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"