Author Topic: Who built the Orion for the Star League.  (Read 3552 times)

mrbooth

• Warrant Officer
Who built the Orion for the Star League.
« on: 13 December 2017, 18:28:49 »
TRO 3039 says the Orion is built on Hesperus II but not by who. The first manufacture listed for the primitive version is  General Mechanics of Mars but I do not recall hearing of them later in the succession wars.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Re: Who built the Orion for the Star League.
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2017, 18:39:20 »
Hesperus has always been Defiance Industries, AFAIK.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #2 on: 14 December 2017, 07:16:40 »

I think (but am not positive) there was also a Stormvanger facility there at one point (Succession Wars or prior).  Buuuut it's mainly Defiance.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2017, 08:36:07 »

Witten Industries in the time of the Star League. Defiance was just a mining operation then.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2017, 12:37:28 »
Wait, the Orion was built on Hesperus II?
But the 'Mech is designed by Kali Yama, IIRC? EDIT Make that General Mechanics from Mars.
Or is this just a case of licensing the design?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2017, 17:17:51 »
Wait, the Orion was built on Hesperus II?
But the 'Mech is designed by Kali Yama, IIRC? EDIT Make that General Mechanics from Mars.
Or is this just a case of licensing the design?

It was built on Hersperus II but discontinued there at some unspecified point.

Most likely Kali Yama liceneced the design and continued producing it on Kalidassa/Kendall. This happens a lot with BattleMechs that change manufacturers over time, especially when they're built in multiple factories in multiple states.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2017, 17:50:32 »
Diplass Technologies (located on the planet Anywhere) also made a (presumably) licensed copy during the Star League. (2765:P) Unfortunately. lol I hate the ON1-K.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2017, 18:19:00 »
Is the Hesperus II notation an errata? My copy of 3039 lists the manufacturer as Kali Yama and Alphard Trading.

Ignore me. I found the reference.

Primitives V indicates that General Mechanics of Mars partnered with Hegemony Weapons Research and "more than a dozen other companies" to produce the upgrade kits for the primitive Orion, so I don't think there was any one factory producing Orions during the Star League era.

I think (but am not positive) there was also a Stormvanger facility there at one point (Succession Wars or prior).  Buuuut it's mainly Defiance.

Stormvanger industries ran a mech plant on Hesperus. The "Light Division" manufactured the Falcon in a specific wing of the facility (the Falcon Wing) until it was destroyed during the succession wars. There is no information at this point (that I know of) to indicate whether or not they had additional production aside from the Light Divsion on Hesperus.

Witten Industries in the time of the Star League. Defiance was just a mining operation then.

Defiance Industries started building the Sentinel for the Lyran and Star League military in 2651. So they were a mech producer for at least a portion of the Star League era.
« Last Edit: 14 December 2017, 18:22:00 by Liam's Ghost »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

lrose

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 14 December 2017, 19:59:41 »
Primitives V indicates that General Mechanics of Mars partnered with Hegemony Weapons Research and "more than a dozen other companies" to produce the upgrade kits for the primitive Orion, so I don't think there was any one factory producing Orions during the Star League era.

I figured when they talked about "more then a dozen other companies" they were referring to component manufacturers- i.e. Vlar for a new Engine, Irian for a new com system, IWW for new laser, etc, who provided parts for the upgrade, rather then a bunch of other manufacturers of the Orion.

Stormvanger industries ran a mech plant on Hesperus. The "Light Division" manufactured the Falcon in a specific wing of the facility (the Falcon Wing) until it was destroyed during the succession wars. There is no information at this point (that I know of) to indicate whether or not they had additional production aside from the Light Divsion on Hesperus.

In TR3050 Stormvanger's Light Division was on Caph.  I remember somewhere reading that during the 1st Battle of Hesperus the DC managed to destroy a light mech assembly line of Defiance Industries (which would be the Falcon line I think.)  The presence of Stormvanger on Hesperus II is only mentioned in TR3039 and it seems a bit suspect.

Defiance Industries started building the Sentinel for the Lyran and Star League military in 2651. So they were a mech producer for at least a portion of the Star League era.

House Steiner SB p. 134 says that Defiance was formed as joint venture between the LC and SLDF in 2577.  P. 31 implies that there may have been a battlemech factory there before the RW which was then replaced by Defiance.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 14 December 2017, 20:37:21 »
Sarna also puts a Doering Electronics on planet, they don't make 'Mechs but, only electronic components, com systems, target tracking and a Narc model.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 14 December 2017, 20:46:48 »
In TR3050 Stormvanger's Light Division was on Caph.  I remember somewhere reading that during the 1st Battle of Hesperus the DC managed to destroy a light mech assembly line of Defiance Industries (which would be the Falcon line I think.)  The presence of Stormvanger on Hesperus II is only mentioned in TR3039 and it seems a bit suspect.

The falcon being built by Stormvanger on Hesperus comes from multiple sources. I'll have to go digging around for it to be sure, but I'm almost certain the original TRO-3050 indicated that Stormvanger was building the Falcon on Hesperus II, and the original entry in the Wolf's Dragoons book also indicates it was built there. House Marik destroyed the factory during a raid.

I'd say that the "Falcon Wing" represented a separate factory from the one on Caph.

Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

lrose

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 14 December 2017, 21:38:51 »
The falcon being built by Stormvanger on Hesperus comes from multiple sources. I'll have to go digging around for it to be sure, but I'm almost certain the original TRO-3050 indicated that Stormvanger was building the Falcon on Hesperus II, and the original entry in the Wolf's Dragoons book also indicates it was built there. House Marik destroyed the factory during a raid.

I'd say that the "Falcon Wing" represented a separate factory from the one on Caph.

Wolf's Dragoons gives the manufacturer as Stormvanger Assemblies, Light Division, the text is vague. It says the last know manufacture of the Falcon was on Hesperus (no specific company was named) during the 1st SW but the area where it was built, the "Falcon Wing" was destroyed in a FWL Raid.

The original TR3050 list Stormvanger as the manufacturer with the primary factory on Caph.  The text says the it has not been produced since the 1st SW when a FWL raid destroyed "the Falcon wing of a Battlemech factory on Hesperus"   The upgrade 3050 only mentions Blackwell Industries.

TR3039 is the only source that specifically says Stormvanger was on Hesperus II

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 15 December 2017, 02:57:34 »
Wolf's Dragoons gives the manufacturer as Stormvanger Assemblies, Light Division, the text is vague. It says the last know manufacture of the Falcon was on Hesperus (no specific company was named) during the 1st SW but the area where it was built, the "Falcon Wing" was destroyed in a FWL Raid.

The original TR3050 list Stormvanger as the manufacturer with the primary factory on Caph.  The text says the it has not been produced since the 1st SW when a FWL raid destroyed "the Falcon wing of a Battlemech factory on Hesperus"   The upgrade 3050 only mentions Blackwell Industries.

TR3039 is the only source that specifically says Stormvanger was on Hesperus II

Regardless of there being only one source that explicitly says it was a Stormvanger plant, every source agrees that the Falcon was a Stormvanger product and that there was a Falcon plant on Hesperus II. It's a natural assumption to make that the Falcon plant on Hesperus was a Stormvanger plant. Further, no prior source actually contradicts TRO 3039. It only indicates that Stormvanger built most of their known products on Caph. Lots of companies have factories on multiple worlds, it's hardly unusual. Especially in the Star League era for a company that sold products to every state.

(also, TRO 3039 is the most current product to cover it, so there's that)

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #13 on: 26 December 2017, 14:36:33 »
The Orion was originally built on Hesperus for the Terran Hegemony.

About a century later the K model entered production for the Star League.  There is no indication the factory producing later model Orions was on Hesperus, and evidence that the design had already diversified.

By the time of the fall of the Star League production had already moved or spread (we don't know which) to Kalidasa in the FWL, it is strongly implied that ther houes also built the mech, and that Kalidasa is special for being a surviving factory location, not the only factory location.

Either the Hesperus Orion factory was destroyed by the First Succession War, or it was already gone before that time.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 27 December 2017, 12:00:07 »
The Orion was originally built on Hesperus for the Terran Hegemony.

About a century later the K model entered production for the Star League.  There is no indication the factory producing later model Orions was on Hesperus, and evidence that the design had already diversified.

By the time of the fall of the Star League production had already moved or spread (we don't know which) to Kalidasa in the FWL, it is strongly implied that ther houes also built the mech, and that Kalidasa is special for being a surviving factory location, not the only factory location.

Either the Hesperus Orion factory was destroyed by the First Succession War, or it was already gone before that time.

The original primitive Orion line was General Mechanics on Mars IIRC mind you.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #15 on: 30 December 2017, 15:00:17 »
I'd say in both cases of the Orion & the Falcon you have a situation where another company created the design on Mars/Caph respectively & then with the fall of the TH you had most SLDF designs get picked up by House Factories, similar to how House Marik pulled the specs for the Spider & Guillotine out of Newhart on New Earth.

Defiance probably started building the Orion/Falcon either during the SL or just after it fell & continued till one of the battles of Hesperus where that line was damaged & a new one replaced it.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Register