Author Topic: MegaMek Servers  (Read 2689 times)

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
MegaMek Servers
« on: 30 December 2017, 13:04:21 »
If we actually got some servers up and running on https://megamek.org/servers would you guys actually get involved and play other players?

My idea is to have an introductory / newb server with intro tech, yr 3019, introductory rules to familiarize new players and have them play other new players at their own skill level.

A standard server with standard tech, yr 3067, TacOps rules on.

An advanced server with advanced tech or higher, yr 3068+, StratOps (quirks) and maybe even these weird legacy and maxtech rules on and unofficial ones.

Just a rough draft of an idea but, what will it take for you the community to all get together and play each other?  Have been dabbling in mekwars and I see their issues with attracting new players and keeping them, we're not exactly any better so give some input.

elf25s

• Major
Re: MegaMek Servers
« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2017, 11:38:31 »
talk to tigershark about it.
he is currently running and had been running his own server for about 3 years now. and if you want look up spork the admin at mekwars boards and server for both ideas and help. they are the current guys who seem to had some success at keeping and getting campaign going in both games.
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2017, 22:55:57 »
I find having non-enhanced server helpful when i need do a pickup game with a friend.
I hate bothering SteveRestless all the time to update since we try newest dev server. 
I'm always grateful for that.  :D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2018, 09:06:37 »
I find having non-enhanced server helpful when i need do a pickup game with a friend.
I hate bothering SteveRestless all the time to update since we try newest dev server. 

Just get ahold of me, pestering restless is what i live for ;)
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Recklessfireball1

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2018, 13:56:29 »
If we actually got some servers up and running on https://megamek.org/servers would you guys actually get involved and play other players?

My idea is to have an introductory / newb server with intro tech, yr 3019, introductory rules to familiarize new players and have them play other new players at their own skill level.

A standard server with standard tech, yr 3067, TacOps rules on.

An advanced server with advanced tech or higher, yr 3068+, StratOps (quirks) and maybe even these weird legacy and maxtech rules on and unofficial ones.

Just a rough draft of an idea but, what will it take for you the community to all get together and play each other?  Have been dabbling in mekwars and I see their issues with attracting new players and keeping them, we're not exactly any better so give some input.
I would play pick-up games on the newb server, if such were available during the weekdays, CST.  Not sure I have the time to commit to full-blown campaigns, though.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 07 January 2018, 11:21:42 »

Well, RECENTLY I haven't been uploading dev versions because I've had terrible luck with their usability. Bloodwolf's 43.7 Beta seems to be working so far though, so you may see that up on my server soon.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem