Author Topic: Technology Discussion: Mechanical Jump Boosters  (Read 1727 times)

lucho

• Warrant Officer
  • say hello to my new friend!
Technology Discussion: Mechanical Jump Boosters
« on: 03 February 2018, 07:30:55 »
According to RS: 3145 NEW TECH, NEW UPGRADES (the most up-to-date listing of Dark Age tech advancement so far?) the Mechanical Jump Boosters, that wacky curiosity from Solaris, became tournament legal in 3083 (pg.10/11).Thus far, it has not appeared in any canon design- one Juggernaut variant incorporates it, and no one else that I can see (a Thunder Fox variant too?)

Compared to std jumpjets it's not worth it, but in comparison to improved jumpjets it's a different story. Heavier indeed than IJJ, but taking up much less space. Sort of a compact IJJ. When talking about assault mechs, the extra weight is less problematic; the heavier mechs tend to have more tonnage available than critical slots. In addition, they are somewhat limited compared to jumpjets/IJJ (no facing changes, no DFA).

So, what is everyone's opinion regarding the mechanical jump boosters?
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Cowdragon

• Captain
  • PM me for Ft. Collins CO battletech games
Re: Technology Discussion: Mechanical Jump Boosters
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2018, 17:27:28 »
Honestly, I WANT to like them. I mess with them every so often, because the idea is pretty cool. As soon as I plug them into my design (be it battle armor or battlemech) I delete delete delete! Just can't make myself use them. They are bad.

Also, I know you're discussing them on Battlemechs, but I know there is at least one BA they are mounted on...but the name is escaping me.

On wings of steel, Come I, Pillars of flame
Mark me, Fury bright as suns, Foes fear
The star back road, I hunt, Blood geld payment
Shan't be, The ravens throne, Blod Orn
- vidar (thank you vidar!!!)
Pie or Spehs and Tanks also BA

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2018, 18:28:37 »
They're very niche. One thing often forgotten - they let you jump out of water. (IIRC, but I'm pretty sure.)

So it's perhaps like the Duplex tanks of WW2 - very handy in a small range of specific applications, but not flexible enough to replace JJs or IJJs.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

lucho

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2018, 17:48:38 »
*snip*
Also, I know you're discussing them on Battlemechs, but I know there is at least one BA they are mounted on...but the name is escaping me.

The Spectre and Kishi both sport the mechanical jump booster :)

Yes, I agree that they're a niche product. They seem to only pay off when you can mount enough for a jump of 5 or more, and mostly on assault mechs. Lighter mechs seem to be better served with IJJ

lucho

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 05 February 2018, 18:21:34 »
They're very niche. One thing often forgotten - they let you jump out of water. (IIRC, but I'm pretty sure.)

*snip*

Yes they do. They also don't generate any heat when in use.

I've been exploring the idea of combining  Mechanical Jump Boosters with TSM. So far it's pretty interesting

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #5 on: 05 February 2018, 22:12:39 »
"the idea of combining  Mechanical Jump Boosters with TSM."

Now THAT would be interesting to see, though without my rulebooks handy it's my initial guess that there's some limiting rule preventing that.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #6 on: 09 February 2018, 00:07:50 »
Well, don't they add the possibility for Shonen Jump to Mechs? I think the biggest inspiration for them was the way the Zentradi Pods bounced along in Macross/Robotech. (They were described in Maximum Tech to be springs and pistons to enhance a Mech's physical jumping capacity. The rules back this up since you can't end facing whatever way you want, which means it's not powered mid-flight like you do with jump jets.)

Rules-wise, what I liked about them was that, if you were willing to pay the tonnage, you didn't have an upper-end cap, unlike JumpJets, which are restricted to walk or run values, depending. So, you could make a Mech a 1/2/16 if you wanted.

I'm wondering if there shouldn't be some means of combining MJBs with standard jets to get a slightly better boost to distance, and still allow for the extra control of standard thrusters.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Register