Author Topic: The Yen Lo Wang thread - From Creation to Dark Ages  (Read 20099 times)

OverKill

• Lieutenant
  • Marauder MAD-3D "Guan-Yu"
The Yen Lo Wang thread - From Creation to Dark Ages
« on: 07 March 2011, 22:20:16 »
Hey More Knowledgeable folks,

What exactly is the RAC variant? Is this the upgraded AC20 version or something? Sorry for my ignorance LOL
« Last Edit: 11 March 2011, 10:02:48 by OverKill »
Colonel Mason Grimm
Grimm Reaper Company (Grimm's Reapers)
Piloting: Marauder MAD-3D - Guan-Yu
We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye!

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
Re: Centurion RAC Variant??!?
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2011, 22:39:32 »
I think it carrys a RAC-5 in place of the standard Autocannon.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2011, 22:44:40 »
This is another case where it's time to get the standard rule books (ie Total Warfare and Techmanual) and maybe RS:3050U.  :)

The Centurion's RAC variant, more properly known as the CN9-D5, is a FedCom Civil War-era upgrade of the Centurion that uses a RAC-5 as its primary weapon.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2011, 22:46:30 »
RAC is a nice weapon, but I would rather have the AC-10 any day of the week. No jamming.

btp2k2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2011, 22:58:58 »
The RAC 5 has the potential to dole out some serious damage. Nice weapon, but as Stormlion1 said...can jam. The nice thing about the rotary autocannon is if it does jam, it can be unjammed unlike the Ultra.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2011, 23:14:04 »
It's a 6/9 mech with a RAC 5, 2 ER Medium Lasers, a Targetting Computer, a Guardian ECM, and a C3 Slave.  It's actually a pretty scary 50 tonner.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 08 March 2011, 00:01:32 »
OK, rip out the C3 slave and I'd use it.

btp2k2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 08 March 2011, 00:10:47 »
we have a guy in our group that uses a RAC Centurion with great effectiveness.

He really knows how to make that mech work for him and usually walks away from the table with a few kills each game.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 08 March 2011, 00:39:58 »
I wasn't sure if it was a Yen Lo Wang type variant or not...

As for all those rulebooks? Why the heck would I do that when I can post whore here and increase the count :P  [rockon]

Thanks for the answer guys. I actually like the RAC paint scheme that I saw and may pick up one. I have a normal Centurion but I've got a lot on the plate already LOL
Colonel Mason Grimm

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #9 on: 08 March 2011, 08:56:50 »
You buy the books and TROs because it gives money to the people who work on BattleTech now.  This in turn makes them happier, which then makes them more willing to organize BattleTech events, which in turn makes more -new- people willing to play actual tabletop games of BattleTech with your sorry grognard butt (no actual offense intended  ;))

And by the way, something Ogre4Hire didn't tell you...that RAC Centurion also has MASC.  Now fork over your cash. :P

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: 08 March 2011, 09:15:41 »
Yep; money to CGL = more BT to love.

The amount of free stuff is pretty cool, don't get me wrong. The box set + free stuff gives new players a lot to do with very little cash outlay, making it easy to pick up the game and get rolling with it. Eventually though, if people don't buy stuff, CGL can't make more because they won't have the money to put into new products.

skumm

• Sergeant
  • 1400 minis and counting....
    • SkuMM's Battletech Miniature Archive
« Reply #11 on: 08 March 2011, 10:22:29 »
Now if only Psycho would commission my entire force for free.... thats only 1600 mechs. :D

All kidding aside, if you don't support the folks who put the material out, you can soon expect to have no new material. :)
Minis minis everywhere. But who has time to paint?

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 08 March 2011, 14:54:17 »
Down the road I may pick up the RAC version of the Centurion, One more Centurion never hurts.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #13 on: 08 March 2011, 15:56:37 »
It's a pretty good mini overall- I did one about two years ago. As long as you don't mind the gun being a bit comically oversized compared to the Mech hauling it around (and it's hardly the only Mech that can claim that!), not a bad mini to work on at all. I'll not compare it to the standard Centurion sculpt though, since I don't actually have one of those around (surprisingly enough).
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 08 March 2011, 16:13:56 »
I've been thinking of trying to MAKE a Yen Lo Wang from IWM parts but that's a project for another time. I've still got a few mechs to finish in addition to bashing a marauder for my own games. Still if the RAC variant was close enough with the oversized gun then I wouldn't need to :)
Colonel Mason Grimm

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #15 on: 08 March 2011, 16:25:34 »
it is generally accepted that to make Yen Low Wang you need only cover the LRM tubes with green stuff or file em down, and attatch additional lasers on the opposite arm
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 08 March 2011, 16:36:27 »
it is generally accepted that to make Yen Low Wang you need only cover the LRM tubes with green stuff or file em down, and attatch additional lasers on the opposite arm

Really? I would have thought adding green stuff to the RAV barrel to bash it into an AC20, then filling the missile tubes would have been the way to go. The RAC is bigger as would the AC 20 be bigger than the 10 yes?
Colonel Mason Grimm

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #17 on: 08 March 2011, 16:49:12 »
Really? I would have thought adding green stuff to the RAV barrel to bash it into an AC20, then filling the missile tubes would have been the way to go. The RAC is bigger as would the AC 20 be bigger than the 10 yes?
Get the regular centurion, not the R.A.C. version. The A.C.'s are A.C.'s and if you use the regular centurion you don't have to totally cover the gun barrel in greenstuff.  Only other thing I suggest is a claw for the left hand.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 09 March 2011, 00:52:42 »
Always thought about doing the Dark Age Yen Low Wang at some point, theres something about the huge shield and the axe on a Centurion that makes me giggle.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 09 March 2011, 01:47:27 »
I have never seen the Dark Age stuff. It's not really an era that I like to associate with battletech but maybe I will just get a regular centurion and Yen Lo Wang it with the recommendations. I always thought that an AC10 and an AC20 were vastly different in size and that the RAC variant (with a little greenstuff) would be much more standout-ish as a custom mech.

Call me crazy!
Colonel Mason Grimm

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 09 March 2011, 01:56:33 »
I believe the point that we're trying to make is that the RAC Centurion's right-arm weapon is an exposed array of multiple barrels, and not a huge trashbucket like something you'd see on a Thunder or Koschei.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 09 March 2011, 02:02:55 »
I believe the point that we're trying to make is that the RAC Centurion's right-arm weapon is an exposed array of multiple barrels, and not a huge trashbucket like something you'd see on a Thunder or Koschei.

Yes, and I understand and respect that HOWEVER what I am saying is that lining up two centurions beside each other where is the difference in the AC 10 versus the AC 20? There is none. "An AC is an AC" ok, if you want to do that but why not go that extra step, cover over the barrels and use some green stuff to turn it into a large trash bucket which would truly give you a menacing AC in size. You can keep the bores showing at the tip just cover the diameter.
Colonel Mason Grimm

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #22 on: 09 March 2011, 02:33:27 »
Besides, bore size has 1) never actually mattered as far as what type of AC it was and 2) never actually been depicted to scale anyway.  Just look at the trash-can launchers on the Emperor.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 09 March 2011, 03:19:11 »
Ahhh, I overlooked how different artists and sculptors imagined their weapons.  Point taken and agreed upon.  Carry on! :-X

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #24 on: 09 March 2011, 08:05:29 »
Besides, bore size has 1) never actually mattered as far as what type of AC it was and 2) never actually been depicted to scale anyway.  Just look at the trash-can launchers on the Emperor.

Not to mention that we know from the early novels that the AC5 on the Wolverine, Shadow Hawk, and Marauder were all different bore diameters.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 09 March 2011, 09:18:30 »
We also know that different manufaturers make the same weapon in different bores but all do the same damage.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #26 on: 09 March 2011, 12:35:07 »
in my defense I was refering to Yen Low Wang Under Kai Allard Liao, not Justin Xiang Allard.  so the AC 10 as a gauss Rifle would be perfect in that case.  as far as converting the Centurions AC 10 into a 20, slowly bore open the AC 10 into a wider barrel.

a Dark Age Yen Low Wang would be sweet.  Hatchet and Shield, a Heavy Large laser in place of the medium and an LRM 20!  the tricky part is the jump jets but that is what the P Hawk's boosters are for!

Yes, and I understand and respect that HOWEVER what I am saying is that lining up two centurions beside each other where is the difference in the AC 10 versus the AC 20? There is none. "An AC is an AC" ok, if you want to do that but why not go that extra step, cover over the barrels and use some green stuff to turn it into a large trash bucket which would truly give you a menacing AC in size. You can keep the bores showing at the tip just cover the diameter.

in the case of Justin Allard it might actually be easier to shred the centurions shoulder joint and transplant the gun arm of a Victor onto it instead, since Yen Lo Wang used the same Autocannon as the Victor
« Last Edit: 09 March 2011, 12:41:35 by JPArbiter »
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 09 March 2011, 13:11:44 »
in the case of Justin Allard it might actually be easier to shred the centurions shoulder joint and transplant the gun arm of a Victor onto it instead, since Yen Lo Wang used the same Autocannon as the Victor

That might be something to look in to or like the man said bore the hole bigger. We will see.
Colonel Mason Grimm

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 09 March 2011, 21:49:25 »
a Dark Age Yen Low Wang would be sweet.  Hatchet and Shield, a Heavy Large laser in place of the medium and an LRM 20!  the tricky part is the jump jets but that is what the P Hawk's boosters are for!

Now how would a Inner Sphere mech thats from the Confederation of all places get its hands on a Heavy Large Laser? And how would it fit it alongside a LRM-20 as well as the ammo? To SKW's!

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 09 March 2011, 22:05:13 »
I want to know how the RoTS got It's hands on a crimson hawk during the dark age. I usually chalk it up to the sharks/foxes.

Register