Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week Repost: Flashman  (Read 24267 times)

wesharrisb

• Lieutenant
  • 8-Bit Battletech
Re: 'Mech of the Week Repost: Flashman
« Reply #30 on: 27 November 2014, 02:42:47 »
MWO Forum, google link.

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 27 November 2014, 11:34:47 »
I know the flash man is good on paper, but man I can get over its looks.  Same reason I avoided the ostol until the reseen version was released
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #32 on: 30 November 2014, 18:33:36 »
My Dad used a DownTech Flashman in an at home game to great effect. Beat the pants of my Marauder.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #33 on: 30 November 2014, 18:49:47 »
Ironic that, in that there's a hypothesis that the assorted Star League down-teched units in TRO 3025 Revised were meant to "replace" specific Unseen - eg. Mercury filling the Locust spot, and so on. In that hypothesis, the Flashman is mean to be the Marauder-analogue.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #34 on: 30 November 2014, 18:51:38 »
The Flashman used to be a mech I didn't like. Then one of my players started using it and kicked my arse from here to next week with it. Really grew on me after that. Enough to get one and give it a Wolf Dragoons scheme! A new updated design would be cool though, mostly because of how fragile the arms are on the current model.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 01 December 2014, 02:14:54 »
I know the flash man is good on paper, but man I can get over its looks.  Same reason I avoided the ostol until the reseen version was released

I initially did as well, till in a few pick up games back in Jacksonville, i got my butt handed to me several times in 3 One player vs one player equal tonnage, and a pair of 3 player battle Royal, where a flashman (or two) were on the opposition force(s).

The Flashman used to be a mech I didn't like. Then one of my players started using it and kicked my arse from here to next week with it. Really grew on me after that. Enough to get one and give it a Wolf Dragoons scheme! A new updated design would be cool though, mostly because of how fragile the arms are on the current model.

One design mod i can see that would make them better is remove the lower arm actuators so they can flip arms.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 02 December 2014, 10:02:01 »
This is my favorite 2750 mech. I too wish the miniature looked like the 3050u art.

master arminas

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 04 December 2014, 00:02:27 »

The original TRO:2750 artwork was a little funky; I actually prefer the drawing they made of the FLS-7K from TRO:3025 (Revised).

Really don't like either Knutson's or Lewis' art for it, but I do like Gor's.

MA

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #38 on: 04 December 2014, 01:14:17 »
Yeah, update the Flashman model to look like that and it would be awesome.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #39 on: 04 December 2014, 12:18:36 »
Totally agree.
« Last Edit: 04 December 2014, 12:30:18 by Col.Hengist »
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #40 on: 04 December 2014, 13:17:46 »
I like the TRO: 2750 art work better, I think Chris Lewis' rendition is little too cartoonish for me. It's not bad though.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 04 December 2014, 17:31:27 »
Was there any cannon versions which went into "city fighter mode" so sported pulse lasers vice ERs?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #42 on: 04 December 2014, 17:48:53 »
Not that I could find.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

master arminas

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 04 December 2014, 19:28:15 »
Was there any cannon versions which went into "city fighter mode" so sported pulse lasers vice ERs?

Canon?  Nope.  Custom?

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/battlemechs/the-disco-king-a-(clan)-pulse-laser-flashman!/

All of your munchie pulsey Clan goodness packed into a 75-ton chassis.  (Yes, since I was doing the Pulse Laser Boat From Hell, I went ahead and made it Clan.  Go ahead.  Say it.  I know you want you.)

MA

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 05 December 2014, 02:23:57 »
Definitely a munchkin vehicle right there.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #45 on: 06 December 2014, 02:52:31 »
Canon?  Nope.  Custom?

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/battlemechs/the-disco-king-a-(clan)-pulse-laser-flashman!/

All of your munchie pulsey Clan goodness packed into a 75-ton chassis.  (Yes, since I was doing the Pulse Laser Boat From Hell, I went ahead and made it Clan.  Go ahead.  Say it.  I know you want you.)

MA

UNCLEAN! UNCLEAN! Deleciously unclean!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #46 on: 08 December 2014, 12:37:50 »
I like the TRO: 2750 art work better, I think Chris Lewis' rendition is little too cartoonish for me. It's not bad though.

The 3025r artwork is the only one where the legs look any good.  I also like Gor's take on the arms best  The 2750 art is okay but the modern renditions from 3039 and 3050u both suffer from "Crazy Leg Syndrome" (other prominent CLS sufferers include the Stalker, Penetrator and unseen Bane - please give generously to Crazy Leg Research: Let's beat Crazy Legs eventually).

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 08 December 2014, 18:34:18 »
3050U seems to have slavishly copied the mini - the zombie-like arms, the massive hip flaps at the back, and the rearwards connection of the legs.

I do like the 2750 rendition, but it'll be easier to copy the Chris Lewis version when I start hacking metal.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 04 December 2017, 19:59:26 »
Thats actually a good point, there's no Royal version of this machine, although perhaps upgrading two of the larges to ER's to extend its punch might be an option, combined with Endo and any weight saved going into armour to make a Royal?

As a blood spirit fan I will be including this in my alpha galaxy. Can any point me to specs of a clan tech upgrade to this beast?

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #49 on: 10 December 2017, 13:16:09 »
[wildandcrazy]
This is better, yes?

]

Absolutely! 

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #50 on: 10 December 2017, 13:45:52 »
Looks like MWO fanart

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #51 on: 12 December 2017, 02:16:28 »
As a blood spirit fan I will be including this in my alpha galaxy. Can any point me to specs of a clan tech upgrade to this beast?

I think the closest thing we've ever had to a Flashman IIC is the Sphinx.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #52 on: 12 December 2017, 07:23:57 »

Ask in the fan designs and rules forum. You'll get plenty of responses.
« Last Edit: 12 December 2017, 08:22:45 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 12 December 2017, 15:10:31 »
I think the closest thing we've ever had to a Flashman IIC is the Sphinx.

Interesting thanks!

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #54 on: 16 December 2017, 13:02:45 »
They were tough potatoes to cook in MW:2 Mercs and in MM.  So I added one to my unit for a while. 

The ones with Standard Engines do not know how to die.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #55 on: 16 December 2017, 13:31:36 »
They were tough potatoes to cook in MW:2 Mercs and in MM.  So I added one to my unit for a while. 

The ones with Standard Engines do not know how to die.

Really?  In MW2: Mercenaries I found them absurdly easy to kill due to how large and easy to shoot the "head" section was.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 22 December 2017, 12:15:36 »
I share your pain.

I've got one I'm planning on working over sometime. First, I'm going to remove the legs at the hip, move into a running pose, and re-attach more centrally. If I lose some of the mudflaps at the back, too bad.

Then I'm going to cut the arms - carefully - at the elbows, and repose like the TRO art above - bent. Not that "zombie walk/parade rest" straightness.

Will it help? We'll see, sometime.

W.
Something like this, Worktroll? Sorry to quote something from like three years ago, but this paintjob has existed for five years so if I had seen this post then, I would have replied then as well. I think I made this mod circa 2007-2008 so... yeah, minds think alike sometimes.

And the Flashman is one of my favorite 'Mechs, hands down. Good design, and it doesn't look like every other 'Mech out there. Let's face it, for a lot of beginners looking at the designs it's hard to tell the difference between a Quickdraw or a Trebuchet - but it's hard to mistake a Flashman for anything BUT a Flashman.

It's also brutal in Alpha Strike. Just had to mention that. Even the lotech is A/S 7/6 with 4/3/0 OV1 - that's respectable even into later games for a mere 36 points.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 22 December 2017, 14:36:32 »
Well, I didn't repose the hips in the long run, but got this:

The arm I sliced at the elbow with my Stanley knife ,so as to not lose material.

Definitely a striking design.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 12 September 2022, 11:48:34 »
Thats actually a good point, there's no Royal version of this machine, although perhaps upgrading two of the larges to ER's to extend its punch might be an option, combined with Endo and any weight saved going into armour to make a Royal?

I thought I saw that the TRO golden century had an upgraded but not truly IIC variant? Am I hallucinating?

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #59 on: 12 September 2022, 12:52:47 »
I thought I saw that the TRO golden century had an upgraded but not truly IIC variant? Am I hallucinating?

I think so, at least according to Sarna.  There's a variant with Clan weapons in the RG.  I get the feeling the Clans just used Star League Flashmen in their toumans.

Is it just me, or does the new Flashman art really make it look like the Imp?

BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!