Author Topic: Black Hawk A  (Read 3809 times)

Tressel

• Sergeant
Black Hawk A
« on: 24 June 2011, 18:47:31 »
Just started to assemble a couple of the Black Hawk A variants and have a question, why did the mad cat arms get used for this? The post they fit on is 3 times the size of the socket and have to be drilled out. There isn't much room for error on the drilling or you can eat up the whole shoulder.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Black Hawk A
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2011, 21:02:55 »
I got one those along time ago.  I didn't have a drill, so i had dump alot Zapit glue to hold thing in place.   I'm fraid paint mine since i think arms will fall off.  I get the impression its just bit pieces that was label as a A configuration unfortunately.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2011, 21:57:14 »
There are actually two different variations of the same thing: 1 with the Mad Cat arms, and the second with the Loki arms. Neither set fits onto the Blackhawk's shoulder plugs. It's a mini that should be avoided unless you're willing to rebuild the shoulders. Not much help to you now, I know, but may serve to caution others.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2011, 00:22:49 »
It's worth it after some work, but yeah, it's a pain. I built my own using Loki arms, a Mad Cat pulse laser, and two Viking kneecap MGs for the AMS mounts- still haven't painted it, but had a hell of a time getting it built.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2011, 11:44:38 »
That's a shame to hear because the miniature looks good.  But I don't want PITA minis to assemble.

Tressel

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2011, 12:34:56 »
Don't get me wrong. I like the look, but a resculpted shoulder joint would have been a huge improvement. No drilling and you wouldn't have to cut off and file down the posts where the missile launcher would have mounted on the mad cat.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2011, 13:37:37 »
That's a shame to hear because the miniature looks good.  But I don't want PITA minis to assemble.

It wasn't so much of a pain in the ass as just a little awkward. Once you do a pretty minimal amount of filing, it fits on there and you have a pretty nice looking miniature. I still think it looks better in Prime or H configs, but there's nothing about this mini to make me sad to have built it.

Other than my continued lack of time to paint it, mind you. ;)

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2011, 19:12:07 »
OK, that makes me feel a little better about maybe picking one up.  Maybe use the H arms that come with it to swap out the Prime if I try rare earth magnets or something.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #8 on: 27 June 2011, 11:31:33 »
OK, that makes me feel a little better about maybe picking one up.  Maybe use the H arms that come with it to swap out the Prime if I try rare earth magnets or something.

It IS a mini that lends itself to rare-earth magnet mods. So few configs have torso mounted weapons that you can get away with the arm-changing much easier than you could with a Mad Dog or Stormcrow oftentimes. And the placement of the shoulders (using the term loosely) helps as well.

+Crow T. Robot+

Tressel

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 27 June 2011, 17:29:36 »
The final product. It looks good when it is done, but if you look at how small the shoulder joint is you can tell what a pain it was to drill out.

packhntr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 28 June 2011, 13:27:50 »
Tressel...that does look nice!   [rockon]
If at first you don't succeed, make it worth the repairman's time!

Register