Author Topic: Has there been official art released for the Rifleman II?  (Read 2597 times)

aidan_kell

• Private
More or less as the title asks, has there ever been artwork of the Rifleman II from Historical Turning Points: New Dallas?
"I could be bound in a nutshell and count myself master of infinite space were it not for terrible dreams."

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Re: Has there been official art released for the Rifleman II?
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2017, 19:59:49 »
Not yet, but it should look pretty darn close to the 60 ton version if there's in-universe theories that Legend-Killer was a Rifleman II.  It wasn't, of course, but there'd have to be a lot of similarity for people to speculate it.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2017, 20:26:02 »
Given it was just an up-sized Rifleman, I'd imagine something similar looking like the way the Marauder & Marauder-II were basically the same.

Our local Catalyst Demo Agent is currently running a monthly campaign & the CO of my unit happens to be in a Rifleman-II,  I'm currently using a BattleDroids Rifleman miniature to represent it.
« Last Edit: 17 June 2017, 20:53:07 by Hellraiser »
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2017, 20:40:16 »
You could use Rifleman III art, but i don't think it work.  I wish i was good a paint, properly be able chop up Rifleman III with Reseen straight barrel or something to make one.  That's not canon either.  :-X
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2017, 20:53:38 »
You could use Rifleman III art, but i don't think it work.
Eww, doesn't it have Torso guns?  I agree that wouldn't work.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2017, 21:48:36 »
The Rifleman III is too squat, I took the Rifleman Primitive and made a passable Rifleman 2N out of it, but I'd imagine for the II the barrels might be a bit thicker to compensate for the larger bore weapons, if the body stayed reasonably similar.  Definately would want to see if the IICs ever get the reseen treatment as well.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2017, 22:58:50 »
Not yet, but it should look pretty darn close to the 60 ton version if there's in-universe theories that Legend-Killer was a Rifleman II.  It wasn't, of course, but there'd have to be a lot of similarity for people to speculate it.
I really, really doubt that a mech in the same weight class as the Awesome can be mistaken for one of the lighter heavies but the similarities should go without saying.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

aidan_kell

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2017, 12:03:17 »
I had no intention of using the Rifleman III wholesale, but using bits and pieces to represent the heavier actuators might be an option. I want to give it a fairly close profile to the bog standard 3N, since they're supposed to be close enough for Legend Killer to have been rumoured as one. MWO, albeit noncanonically, muddies the waters by having LK's loadout almost the same as the Rifleman II save for downgrading the LPLs to normal large lasers.
"I could be bound in a nutshell and count myself master of infinite space were it not for terrible dreams."

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2017, 12:19:28 »
I really wish the MWO Hero stories didn't tease the fan theories without actually delivering any real answers.     

aidan_kell

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 18 June 2017, 12:47:47 »
Ditto. Though back to the idea of using the III as an expy, the torso does look sufficiently original as to be passable with the removal of the torso gauss rifles (gauss next to an XL, ugh!).

Ryumyo

• Warrant Officer
  • Out site seeing...
« Reply #10 on: 21 June 2017, 19:59:27 »
Closest I know of would be the MFUK ( MechForce U.K. ) Rifleman II sculpt for the British / European markets but the mini is considered Unseen and is hard to come by. Does this help any?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #11 on: 21 June 2017, 20:11:34 »
I forgot about the MFUK Rifleman II, i was fortunate to get one before Ral Paltha stop making them.

I was more thinking of canon sources like the Rifleman IIC (Reseen), taking Saucer Section (cough) Radar dish from the top of the mini.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 25 June 2017, 00:23:50 »
That thing is a freak'n BT unicorn but my Google-Fu was strong tonight.

Hats off to Spector:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=32953.0

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 25 June 2017, 03:04:46 »

Is there an official statement that the Legend-Killer is no II?

Many years ago i got a plastic Macross Defender that is way bigger than our old unseen. His mass looks like actual assault sculpts. So i thought i will use that as a Rifleman II mini for my games until an official artwork and mini will be released.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 25 June 2017, 19:00:09 »
Is there an official statement that the Legend-Killer is no II?
The novel where Justin Xiang pilots it expressly spells out its stats.  60 tons, two AC5s, two LLs, bone stock Rifleman.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 25 June 2017, 21:45:13 »
TRO: 3075 entry for the Rifleman II suggests that Gray used a Rifleman II during some of his matches. 
So there maybe more than ONE Legend-Killer is what other sources are implying.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 25 June 2017, 22:26:43 »
TRO: 3075 entry for the Rifleman II suggests that Gray used a Rifleman II during some of his matches. 

It was a in universe rumor that became a fan rumor because no one is that good even though a number of BT characters happen to be that good. They teased at Grey owning another mech in the MWO Hero story (The MWO Legend Killer is custom 60 ton build) but no other text supports that Gray piloted a mech that equaled a Awesome or Zeus in tonnage.     

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 25 June 2017, 22:33:15 »
most likely possibilty, I think the Legend Killer was simply a Star League tech 60 tonner
weapons would be standard, Solaris has way too many knowledgeable people to squeeze in more than maybe a
5ton difference,people working scales in the elevators or transport sites, someone would notice major external differences
bit simply switching to double sinks, maybe adding case? these would probably not be noticed as much
firing all weapons (lasers and ACs) without major heat buildup would be a giant advantage in 3020
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Register