Author Topic: got two players new to Battletech but not rp  (Read 2686 times)

Koren-Gagin

• Sergeant
  • Gotta do what a urbie gotta do!
got two players new to Battletech but not rp
« on: 30 August 2015, 13:25:58 »
Hi I got two new players playing with me, they both have played D&D before. They had bought the intro box set and decided to split the Mecha in it between them. But to help them learn the game I was going to to a mechwarrior academy setting were they do 1v1 battles a few times lettime them get comfertable a bit.

Than I was going to do either a 1v1v1 for top dog of the class with me as another student or have me battle both in a 1v1 and if who ever won would fight the other in the last battle of school year for top honors. Kinda like whqt was in the twilight of the clans with victor.

In the last battle I was thinking throwing a curve ball having some unopened opfor suddenly poping on the feild. With this idea the players will have to decide whqt to do since ill be using light Mecha most Lilly for the opfor. Or should I let them finish than next battle battle be an opfor raid that has a lance come to acadamy to ruff up the students but the two best students.decide to kick ass and take names.

Well be using only the rules that come with the intro box set, and the first few battles will be without wording about heat was planing for the final battle to be the intro for heat.

Your thoughts and help would great
« Last Edit: 31 August 2015, 00:10:23 by Koren-Gagin »
"History is written by the victors, the defeated live it"

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Re: new to Battletech players but not rp
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2015, 23:55:01 »
Welcome to the game!

Its been a long timesince I RPed but sure - what do you need?
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Koren-Gagin

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2015, 00:07:56 »
Well I haver GMED a rp game and I got two new players to battletech I can do standard pick up games or the capaigns that have a little rp but I have never done rp as a gm just experienced and wanted to get some advice on what to do.

First I spend most of my time in 3000 to 3050 era yeah I'm one of those ppl that like to fight in the 3rd ssw. But since the intro box seems more set for a later era I'm just ugh....  but I really need some idea want to rp since I was going to do a academy rp for a bit until they get bored than through some raiders/invaders forcing them to go on the run which would allow me to introduce them to the tech manual after they get use to TW rules.

I just what to know is this plan for the rp going to work or just wing it and keep the the new players enjoying the fun and hope they have a desire to delve into all the trapping we love and hate about (including acountant tech I do enjoy that for some reason)  I just not sure how to about with scaring them away for battletech by throwing in more rules, or more enemies, or giving them more mech to command etc...

Edit.

P.S. not new myself to battletech but thanks anyways

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2015, 00:08:50 »
If you (and/or your players) are a fan of the movie Top Gun, you could do a twist on the academy cadets idea.  (or perhaps a follow-on campaign idea..)

The Kensai Kami is House Kurita's "Top Gun" program for mechwarriors.  Few details have actually ever been published about it, so feel free to just revisit the plot of the movie :D

If you're not keen on the flavor of House Kurita, you could set your game during the 2nd Star League or a period of detente with the Federated Commonwealth.. foreign exchange pilots would have been plausible.   Or alternately, any of the militaries might have a similar program.

Koren-Gagin

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2015, 00:17:43 »
If you (and/or your players) are a fan of the movie Top Gun, you could do a twist on the academy cadets idea.  (or perhaps a follow-on campaign idea..)

The Kensai Kami is House Kurita's "Top Gun" program for mechwarriors.  Few details have actually ever been published about it, so feel free to just revisit the plot of the movie :D

If you're not keen on the flavor of House Kurita, you could set your game during the 2nd Star League or a period of detente with the Federated Commonwealth.. foreign exchange pilots would have been plausible.   Or alternately, any of the militaries might have a similar program.

I was thinking FWL since I'm a big Davin fan boy but since we are plaing to rp I did not what a ton canon events to limit the rp for the new guys. Sadly though I have always had trouble rocking the purple or purple/white but I'm giving it the "good old boy" try againbut the top gun idea sounds great makes me think of a few other movies I could use.

Any recommendations for planets/academyis I should use as a setting?

PurpleDragon

• Captain
Re: got two players new to Battletech but not rp
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2015, 01:48:49 »
If they are not familiar with the old computer game Crecent Hawks Inception and you are, You might put them through something similar to that story.  Basically, about the time they get in their 'mechs for the "grand battle" exercise, the academy is attaacked and over run.  They then have to escape and try to figure out what happened and get some people (other survivors from other training/factory/base areas) together and try to fight back when it is time to do so. 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall