Author Topic: More of the old, less of the new  (Read 22503 times)

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
Re: More of the old, less of the new
« Reply #30 on: 24 June 2013, 05:15:39 »
Core Battletech is largely being overshadowed by the Jihad and Dark Ages, while much of the original stock has been relegated to the Archives. 

Um, I don't really agree with this statement at all.
If you look at the IWM store, core battletech as you define it, is not in the archives.

Most mechs from 3025, 3050 and 2750 seem to be always available which means people are still buying them. The mechs that seem to get relegated to the archives are the mechs which fall between the "core" and the "present storyline". So there's Jihad mechs, core mechs, and a few from inbetween.

As an example, most or all of the 3058 Star League Mechs are in the archives. But most if not all 2750 Star League mechs are not. Similarly a lot of the clan mechs from 3055-3060 in the archives , but the original clan omnis are not (resculpts).

As for the sculpts, sure it would be cool to get updated sculpts but question is how many people would buy them? Maybe the atlas can get resculpted 3-4 times and always sell but would some of the less interesting mechs? If it's worth it, I can see IWM rolling in a few new sculpts here and there to try and basically resell mechs that people already have.

But, also bear in mind that if they created a new Whitworth sculpt for example, then they're basically competing against themselves which is not necessarily desirable.
« Last Edit: 24 June 2013, 05:17:37 by Akalabeth »

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #31 on: 24 June 2013, 08:32:43 »
Didn't we resently get a new enforcer sculpt that didn't seem to sell well?

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 24 June 2013, 08:41:28 »

That's the problem too.

If they create a new sculpt for an existing mech, then either:

A - the new sculpt is superior, and people stop buying the old one
B - the new sculpt is inferior, and no one buys it.

So to me it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. Unless maybe the new sculpt is both an old design but say a new variant (like the OP wants a grand dragon or Hatamoto-Kaze)

New sculpts to me only really make sense if the old sculpt is flawed, or perhaps the old mold is in disrepair. If the mould itself needs to be replaced and will cost a bit of coin then doing a new sculpt might be worthwhile.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #33 on: 24 June 2013, 08:44:17 »
The new sculpt is multipiece while the old one is single piece. That in itself is neither an improvement or a step back.

Ice_Trey

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #34 on: 24 June 2013, 10:54:27 »
I, for one, really enjoyed the Jihad period because everyone got sweet new toys and there wasn't a single faction that was forced to sit back and watch on the sidelines.

But addressing the statement at hand, while I think that there are many 3025'ers that could use some resculpts, I don't think it's financially viable to do so. In my past experience, the large majority of Succession-wars-or-bust players that I've run into are, for lack of a better word, "Cheap". They simply refuse to purchase new minis, new TROs, new sourcebooks, and even in those off times where you dangle books that complement their pre-clan dreams like stuff based on the original Star League, Andurien Wars, or War of 3039, they will not buy them. Further, there is a good portion of these players that, when they do buy miniatures, they hate the idea of painting or assembling them. All too often I'm stuck playing against lances of "Chrome Specials"

You may be the exception to the rule, but I'll be damned if the lions' share of the players in my area don't fit this bill. Hell, it's a challenge just to get them to understand why it's important to have a copy of Total Warfare and not just rely on their old copy of the players' compendium.

The other likelihood for 3025 designs are new players, and again, they are just as likely to appreciate solid-piece mechs in the blister packs, especially if they're coming from those lance-packs.

In the end, while it's viable for IWM to keep some of the SW era designs in print, keep in mind that Battletech is by no means like most miniatures games, where there is a higher volume of sales for a smaller selection of miniatures. 40K and Warmachine can afford to do this because of their large player bases and each faction in their game has no more than 20 different kinds of units to pick from. Battletech, on the other hand, has a smaller player base and ludicrous numbers of units to pick from.

Just be thankful that your era of choice isn't the clan invasion era. A good chunk of those 'mechs already decorate the archives.

So for the time being, all I can suggest is that if you want variation between your mechs, get your 2-part epoxy putty, saw blade, and pin vice handy. Lord knows I did some serious chop-work in an attempt to make my first mech company (FCCW Era) look WYSIWYG.

Khell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 24 June 2013, 16:20:39 »
That's the problem too.

So to me it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. Unless maybe the new sculpt is both an old design but say a new variant (like the OP wants a grand dragon or Hatamoto-Kaze)

New sculpts to me only really make sense if the old sculpt is flawed, or perhaps the old mold is in disrepair. If the mould itself needs to be replaced and will cost a bit of coin then doing a new sculpt might be worthwhile.

Sadly, there are still a few that do fall under "flawed", more-so if scale issues are acknowledged (poor Flea).  But for pure resculpts (not variants), the most pressing need comes from TRO3055.  The original TRO had a very basic, uninspired and half-done appearance for so many Mechs, and that came through on the miniatures.  Then we get CGL's reprint, and WOW!  Compare the Gallowglas or the Bandersnatch from either book, or the four Clan omnis...  3055Upg has such a better style, but the minis still showcase the old boxy originals, with the barely-noticeable laser holes or paperclip-thin barrels, untextured torsos and limbs, and vacant dead-eyed stares of Mechs that know they can't measure up to any TRO before or after.

And you say the resculpt issue of selling only the better model as if it is a bad thing, but consider this...
The Jenner (just as an example) has been the same miniature without alteration or reprint (except for the Sword & Dragon lance pack, but that's a story unique, not a stock model).  It's sold well enough to avoid the archive, which means it has most likely sold enough units to not only cover its original creation expenses, but made Ral/IWM a profit over the years.  It probably still sells decent enough, but imagine resculpting it to be more enticingly posed; the same old 7D, not a variant, but more active looking like TRO'39 had it.  So what were those possibilities you listed?...

"If they create a new sculpt for an existing mech, then either:

A - the new sculpt is superior, and people stop buying the old one
B - the new sculpt is inferior, and no one buys it

If the new sculpt is inferior, the sculptor didn't do his/her job right.  You can't fault the whole process because one failure.  But if the new sculpt is superior, people stop buying the old one and instead buy the new, well hot damn, you did exactly what you intended to do.  As previously said, the old model will have already paid for itself (you wouldn't resculpt a previous poor-sales item), and now you have something new to entice people with.  However many people in a year were simply going to buy a Jenner - any Jenner - will still buy their Jenner.  But others who already had their fair share might look at the new sculpt and go "Oh, gots to get me one of those!", or something to that effect.

It's win-win-win.  The fanatics get a new sculpt, the casuals don't overly care which they get, and the hold-outs for the old design can still pay for the old one in the archives.
After all, it worked for all those 3050 Omnimechs they resculpted.

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #36 on: 24 June 2013, 17:17:32 »

Yep.

It is a mess and inferior to the original as is the resculpted Orion.

"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #37 on: 24 June 2013, 17:51:40 »
Sadly, there are still a few that do fall under "flawed", more-so if scale issues are acknowledged (poor Flea).  But for pure resculpts (not variants), the most pressing need comes from TRO3055.  The original TRO had a very basic, uninspired and half-done appearance for so many Mechs, and that came through on the miniatures.  Then we get CGL's reprint, and WOW!  Compare the Gallowglas or the Bandersnatch from either book, or the four Clan omnis...  3055Upg has such a better style, but the minis still showcase the old boxy originals, with the barely-noticeable laser holes or paperclip-thin barrels, untextured torsos and limbs, and vacant dead-eyed stares of Mechs that know they can't measure up to any TRO before or after.

After all, it worked for all those 3050 Omnimechs they resculpted.

The Bandersnatch is a great example. We did get a gorgeous resculpt of it and it still went into the archives. I suspect the only reason the resculpted 3050 clan omnis aren't there too is that they still make up a large portion of units used even in the Jihad era toumans. They really are very similar to the project phoenix 3025 mechs. Some of those are starting to see the archives too.

Porkins

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 24 June 2013, 23:48:27 »
IWM has a liited amount of staff and manhours and so they can only produce a limited amount of new sculpts.  So why would they resculpt old mechs for which there are untold numbers already in circulation, when there are dozens upon dozens of new designs unsculpted and just waiting for thousandsof payers to buy?  As a business owner, it would be a very easy choice. 

I understand your argument, but it just does not make business sense to resculpt old ones that have already had their chance to sell, when new designs are likely much more lucrative.  Especially as others have evidenced with the above noted failed resculpts.
Praise the Sea, but keep on Land.

Khell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: 25 June 2013, 10:52:52 »
The Bandersnatch is a great example. We did get a gorgeous resculpt of it and it still went into the archives. I suspect the only reason the resculpted 3050 clan omnis aren't there too is that they still make up a large portion of units used even in the Jihad era toumans. They really are very similar to the project phoenix 3025 mechs. Some of those are starting to see the archives too.

Holy crap on a Cataphract, there is an older Bandersnatch.  It's not in the archive, so I didn't even realize they had made one before BT-171.  But said "resculpt" is online exclusive, not Archive.

IWM has a liited amount of staff and manhours and so they can only produce a limited amount of new sculpts.  So why would they resculpt old mechs for which there are untold numbers already in circulation, when there are dozens upon dozens of new designs unsculpted and just waiting for thousandsof payers to buy?  As a business owner, it would be a very easy choice. 

I understand your argument, but it just does not make business sense to resculpt old ones that have already had their chance to sell, when new designs are likely much more lucrative.  Especially as others have evidenced with the above noted failed resculpts.

Okay, talking strictly about business and not the game itself, what you said may make sense too, but another business has proved you wrong.  Games Workshop / Citadel Miniatures, curse their names, devote roughly half their sculpting assets to resculpt old miniatures, while the other half creates the new.  And resculpting made them rich!  I loved Ral Partha, I love Ironwind Metals, and I do love my Battletech.  But in a strictly business sense, GW has kicked the mecha-loving crap out of every other miniatures game in the market.  Some of that is because of better marketing / exposure, some of that is because of the variety of races to appeal to pretty much anyone, but I believe a sizable chunk of it comes from constantly refining and improving their product line, rather than only expanding it.  And that has absolutely nothing to do with GW constantly printing new editions of their game - you can play the new edition with old miniatures - but being able to take a box of 10 Chaos Marines and make each and every one look entirely different from another box of the same, well that definitely adds to the hobby-side of the game.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2013, 10:58:41 by Khell »

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #40 on: 25 June 2013, 11:17:19 »
Okay, talking strictly about business and not the game itself, what you said may make sense too, but another business has proved you wrong.  Games Workshop / Citadel Miniatures, curse their names, devote roughly half their sculpting assets to resculpt old miniatures, while the other half creates the new.  And resculpting made them rich!  I loved Ral Partha, I love Ironwind Metals, and I do love my Battletech.  But in a strictly business sense, GW has kicked the mecha-loving crap out of every other miniatures game in the market.  Some of that is because of better marketing / exposure, some of that is because of the variety of races to appeal to pretty much anyone, but I believe a sizable chunk of it comes from constantly refining and improving their product line, rather than only expanding it.  And that has absolutely nothing to do with GW constantly printing new editions of their game - you can play the new edition with old miniatures - but being able to take a box of 10 Chaos Marines and make each and every one look entirely different from another box of the same, well that definitely adds to the hobby-side of the game.
Only GW neither allows (for official games) nor encourages the use of proxies. Sadly (from a miniatures point of view) BattleTech is different and embraces the use of proxies. And some people I know are pretty hardcore about this, not caring about the minis at all, being happy pushing *whatever is at hand* across the map. Where the GW games are full-fledged TableTops, BattleTech is positioned as a Board Game (with miniatures).
Maybe the miniature aspect of BattleTech will get a push when/if Alpha Strikes is a success and attracts more Table Top gamers.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #41 on: 25 June 2013, 13:13:53 »
GW also changes their rules every 3-5 years, releasing additions to armies as they update them.  They can also tweak units to make strong ones average, weak ones average or awesome, and average ones awesome to promote sales.  Oh, they also sell on a much larger volume than IWM does, but thats the nature of the two games.  You don't NEED 35-60 miniatures for an average BattleTech game because the game is so complex and detailed that it just can't be resolved in todays attention span.  You NEED 35-60 miniatures to play a GW game because it is a miniatures game at the end of the day.  Of course, GW also directly makes money off of their miniatures while CGL doesn't.

The bottom line is IWM needs to put stuff out that sell; when it doesn't, it goes away to save shelf space.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #42 on: 25 June 2013, 13:41:06 »
Also taking away the game rules side of things and going back to the business, yes GW does resculpt more.
However they probably have a bigger staff than IWM and more equipment which would allow them to split their resources into resculpts versus new sculpts.
Plus IWM isn't focused only on Battletech. They do have other product lines to work on.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Porkins

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 25 June 2013, 19:37:43 »

Okay, talking strictly about business and not the game itself, what you said may make sense too, but another business has proved you wrong.  Games Workshop / Citadel ...

No that does not prove me wrong.  Two entirely different games, companies and business models.  You are comparing apples to oranges.  My discussion was based on IWM and its staffing and resources, not GW.  Your discussion has been all about IWM so why would you introduce a completely different company and game into the discussion?  As others have pointed out, there is no common ground to compare the two companies.

Regardless I understand your argument but the fact that pretty much everyone in the thread feels differently, including reps from IWM who know what products of theirs sell better than any of us, means that resculpting the old minis is unlikely to happen. 
Praise the Sea, but keep on Land.

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 25 June 2013, 20:15:51 »
There's always the crowd-funding option I would think (if IWM does not object).

If you get enough people agreeing that a certain mech needs a new sculpt, then it might get made.

Personally though, if you're going to make new sculpts I would make a sculpt for a variant. I think that would give a greater incentive for more people to pick it up, as long as the variant itself is not too obscure.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #45 on: 25 June 2013, 20:54:55 »
That was the point of the fan funding but we have exceeded the capacity of the sculptors and it has been point on hold until the rather lengthy backlog is cleared.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #46 on: 25 June 2013, 21:54:10 »
The sculpting backlog should now be cleared. It also turned out to be quite taxing on the organizer; if fan funding resumes, changes may need to be made in that area. (no inside knowledge on any plans, just supposition based on postings)

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 30 June 2013, 13:03:54 »

Let me say i love the new Bandersnatch. And i buyed some even while i also have the old one already.
But to be honest it was clear that it will not sell well. Most buyers are Players that buy mechs they Need for their games.
And the Bandersnatch is not seen that often on a game table. Neither are the stats so good that it is choosen for open games, nor is he field by many Units Inplay. So who beside some collectors are buying the new Bandersnatch ?

I'm sure there are some minis that are in use much more, so that a good resculpt would sell better. Sadly many of the most used mechs already have a great sculpt like the Hunchback for example. While i would love to see a Kurita Charger i assume he would not sell well - independently from the Quality of a new sculpt, just because noone plays with it.
From that Point of view the number of possible resculpts drops to a small number i think.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #48 on: 30 June 2013, 13:42:15 »
I actually find myself agreeing with the OP here, at least to an extent. I want to see more of the old, and more of the new. There's a serious backlog of BattleTech units that don't have miniatures at all. I do understand that IWM is incapable of producing, and keeping in production, every possible permutation of unit in the game.

So...

Maybe it's time to really take a good, hard look at how such a large number of playing pieces could be made available. I don't know the solution - I may have some ideas, but would need to research more to figure out their viability - but if the old business model isn't addressing the desires of the consumers, it's time for a new model. Or business.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #49 on: 30 June 2013, 22:22:12 »
Most buyers are Players that buy mechs they Need for their games.

I'm not so sure that "Most" would be the correct term.  I've seen several people across various forums post that they're only into collecting and painting the minis, and have never even played the game.  Some buy the minis but have only played either Megamek or the various PC/video games.  I'm part of the crowd that collects the designs I like, regardless of what "Faction" may be the Primary User.  Then again, I've never taken, participated in OR seen a poll on the subject either.   :-\  I would hazard a guess that those that "Buy what they need" is close to half of the total buyers though, with the other 3 "Groups" making up the other half.

But as the old saying goes: 70% of all Statistics are made up.  :D
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Khell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #50 on: 02 July 2013, 12:29:03 »
No that does not prove me wrong.  Two entirely different games, companies and business models.  You are comparing apples to oranges.  My discussion was based on IWM and its staffing and resources, not GW.  Your discussion has been all about IWM so why would you introduce a completely different company and game into the discussion?  As others have pointed out, there is no common ground to compare the two companies.

Regardless I understand your argument but the fact that pretty much everyone in the thread feels differently, including reps from IWM who know what products of theirs sell better than any of us, means that resculpting the old minis is unlikely to happen.

Are apples and oranges totally incomparable?  It's such a silly statement after all, since both are fruit, and thus have some common ground with which to base comparisons.  I'm rather sick of this repeated insistence from people that you can't compare two not-entirely-identical things.  Games Workshop +/- Citadel Miniatures is entirely comparable to Catalyst +/- Iron Wind Metals.  It might not work in every context, but they are competing companies making comparable products in the same general niche market for the same consumer base.  There are many differences, yes, and many similarities too.  In the context I was previously arguing, they are utterly, entirely comparable.

That IWM is a smaller company with less staff/resources is irrelevant to the issue at hand, because the scope of what has been suggested is equally smaller.  If Citadel resculpts a single box-set of Marines, they're creating ten-to-twenty unique models plus extra bits.  If IWM resculpts a mech, it is one mech.  So you don't need ten times as many staff to do 1/10th the work.

So if IWM is cranking out (just pulling an number outta my arse) say about 2 new sculpts a month, or hell, even 1 new sculpt a month...is it so unreasonable a thing to ask that 1-in-4 are resculpts, variants, or items missed from past TROs?  Does 4-out-of-4 have to be all from the newest book out there?

And it totally doesn't matter if nobody else here agrees with me (and some apparently do).  Even minority opinions matter, especially because of the Pareto principle (and variants thereof).

But as the old saying goes: 70% of all Statistics are made up.  :D

I'm pretty sure when I made up that statistic, I said 90%  :P

Let me say i love the new Bandersnatch. And i buyed some even while i also have the old one already.
But to be honest it was clear that it will not sell well.

Does the Bander (resculpt) not sell well because it's not popular, or does it not sell well because it's exclusive to the online store?  Not everyone buys direct from IWM, and if it doesn't hit the shelf, they can't get it.

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 02 July 2013, 13:55:24 »
Are apples and oranges totally incomparable?  It's such a silly statement after all, since both are fruit, and thus have some common ground with which to base comparisons.  I'm rather sick of this repeated insistence from people that you can't compare two not-entirely-identical things.  Games Workshop +/- Citadel Miniatures is entirely comparable to Catalyst +/- Iron Wind Metals.  It might not work in every context, but they are competing companies making comparable products in the same general niche market for the same consumer base.  There are many differences, yes, and many similarities too.  In the context I was previously arguing, they are utterly, entirely comparable.

That IWM is a smaller company with less staff/resources is irrelevant to the issue at hand, because the scope of what has been suggested is equally smaller.  If Citadel resculpts a single box-set of Marines, they're creating ten-to-twenty unique models plus extra bits.  If IWM resculpts a mech, it is one mech.  So you don't need ten times as many staff to do 1/10th the work.

The difference is that IWM is a company that makes miniatures for someone else's game, whereas Games Workshop is a company that makes games to sell miniatures.

So when they re-sculpt that box of space marines, they're likely coinciding that product's launch with the Space Marine Codex. The Codex promotes and demands sales of the space marines.

When IWM re-sculpts a mech from a 20 year old TRO, what reason do people have to buy it? None.
Most already have it.
And even if they don't, if no products are coming out to support the era then the new sculpt isn't necessarily going to excite people.

It just doesn't make sense to divert resources from the current, hot product to try to sell stuff for out-dated ones.

You want resculpts of old mechs, but of those old mechs already re-sculpted how many have you purchased? It's all well and good to express a want for something, but if people don't vote for re-sculpts with their wallet then new re-sculpts aren't going to get made.
« Last Edit: 02 July 2013, 14:00:29 by Akalabeth »

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: 02 July 2013, 15:12:39 »

I'm not so sure that "Most" would be the correct term.  I've seen several people across various forums post that they're only into collecting and painting the minis, and have never even played the game.

True - but i think the online community is only a small part of the customers CGL and IWM has. At least i hope that we are not the only customers. ;)
I know more BT Players that are not active in the Forums than online active players. And of all the nameless offline Players i assume the small number that buy some minis for play will look for often used or loved designs.
Sadly we do not have hard numbers. To check who buys how many and which mechs.
But if i had to choose a mini for a resculpt i would go for an older sculpt that is maybe a one piece and that is used by as many factions as possible. ;)

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 02 July 2013, 16:10:28 »
For me it makes more sense to do the fan funding thing.
Produce a new sculpt for an old mech with the requirement that X numbers of pre-orders are met. That way, the initial costs are covered, the people who want new sculpts are happy and other people might continue to buy it later on.

Khell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #54 on: 02 July 2013, 16:33:23 »
The difference is that IWM is a company that makes miniatures for someone else's game, whereas Games Workshop is a company that makes games to sell miniatures.

To the first part, irrelevant.  Citadel and IWM both have the exact same goal in mind - make a product that sells.  Who owns the company doesn't change that, they just go about it different ways.

When IWM re-sculpts a mech from a 20 year old TRO, what reason do people have to buy it? None.
Most already have it.
And even if they don't, if no products are coming out to support the era then the new sculpt isn't necessarily going to excite people.

It just doesn't make sense to divert resources from the current, hot product to try to sell stuff for out-dated ones.

Why then did Catalyst reprint that 20-year-old TRO?  Why pay for new artwork, design new record sheets, or go to the trouble of adding a TRO 11 years further back in the timeline?  Why all these new historical SLDF and Clan-Exodus sourcebooks, and why do the newer TROs contain so many Primitive designs?  If as you say, only the hot new thing matters...

And why too did IWM already resculpt more than half of the Clan mechs from 3050?  If there's nothing to be gained by resculpting something everybody has - and believe me, we all had some of those original Clan omnis thanks to the boxed 4pks (why they weren't a star?) - why remake them?

I'm not privy to any of IWM's sales figures, but something tells me they make just as much money off the old mechs as they do the new ones, and I'd bet my original unseen-filled copy of 3050 that the resculpted Atlas is selling better than the original was at the time they decided to archive it.  Resculpts sell, or they wouldn't do it.  And as I've said countless times here before, resculpting can renew interest in old designs that people are already tired of.

You want resculpts of old mechs, but of those old mechs already re-sculpted how many have you purchased? It's all well and good to express a want for something, but if people don't vote for re-sculpts with their wallet then new re-sculpts aren't going to get made.

Your words sound like you are assuming I'm all hot-air and don't "vote with my wallet", so I turn the question around on you.  How much do you support the resculpts, or IWM as a whole?  A mech a month, one of those $200 free-shipping orders every year?  Do you buy resculpts you already have the original of?  Before I defend my own spending habits, I want to know that the person asking has the high-ground to look down on others.

For me it makes more sense to do the fan funding thing.
Produce a new sculpt for an old mech with the requirement that X numbers of pre-orders are met. That way, the initial costs are covered, the people who want new sculpts are happy and other people might continue to buy it later on.

Last I've heard, fan financing is still largely on-hold.  If/when it resumes, I'm planning on joining in.  It's probably the only way I'll ever see the Grand Dragon or the original 3026 APCs in my lifetime.

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: 02 July 2013, 18:18:25 »
To the first part, irrelevant.  Citadel and IWM both have the exact same goal in mind - make a product that sells.  Who owns the company doesn't change that, they just go about it different ways.

No it's not irrelevant. You want to compare IWM to another manufacturer? Then compare them to someone in similar circumstances. Like Brigade models. Or possibly Reaper.

Comparing them to the one company that is the exception in all circumstances of this industry is intellectually dishonest in my opinion when you should be comparing them to a company which is more analogous.

Why then did Catalyst reprint that 20-year-old TRO?  Why pay for new artwork, design new record sheets, or go to the trouble of adding a TRO 11 years further back in the timeline?  Why all these new historical SLDF and Clan-Exodus sourcebooks, and why do the newer TROs contain so many Primitive designs?  If as you say, only the hot new thing matters...

Because they couldn't reprint 3025 on account of it containing artwork they couldn't use?
So instead they combined 2750 and 3025 into 3039.

Same goes for 3055U and 3050U. Both TROs had artwork they dropped and needed to be remade.

And why too did IWM already resculpt more than half of the Clan mechs from 3050?  If there's nothing to be gained by resculpting something everybody has - and believe me, we all had some of those original Clan omnis thanks to the boxed 4pks (why they weren't a star?) - why remake them?

Because there are 16 omni mechs so putting 4 in a pack for 4 packs total makes sense.

I'm not privy to any of IWM's sales figures, but something tells me they make just as much money off the old mechs as they do the new ones, and I'd bet my original unseen-filled copy of 3050 that the resculpted Atlas is selling better than the original was at the time they decided to archive it.  Resculpts sell, or they wouldn't do it.  And as I've said countless times here before, resculpting can renew interest in old designs that people are already tired of.

I'm not privy to their sales either but were I to hazard I guess I would say that some re-sculpts sell better than others. And that the demand for some mechs to be resculpted is likewise higher than others. And based on their analysis of what's selling and what's not, they probably make a decision to continue or not.

So if some resculpted omni mechs sell, but resculpted inner sphere mechs are a mixed bag (some sell, some fail), then its less likely that they'll re-sculpt more old inner sphere mechs. Just because everyone buys Timber Wolves doesn't mean they'll buy Dervishes.

Also the clan omnimechs are ubiquitous among the clans. Everyone uses them. A faction-specific mech like the Dragon is not. So demand will be less. Just as it would be for 10-15 ton APCs that wouldn't last 5 seconds against almost everything.

Your words sound like you are assuming I'm all hot-air and don't "vote with my wallet", so I turn the question around on you.  How much do you support the resculpts, or IWM as a whole?  A mech a month, one of those $200 free-shipping orders every year?  Do you buy resculpts you already have the original of?  Before I defend my own spending habits, I want to know that the person asking has the high-ground to look down on others.

My finances are none of your concern.
As to whether I buy resculpts, that depends upon what I'm buying it for. If I'm buying mechs to fill out a clan star with original sculpt figures for example, I would rather pay the archive fee than get the resculpts. If I'm creating a unit wherein the resculpts would work well alongside the other mechs, then I buy those. 

The point is that asking for something and supporting something are two different things.
If people ask for resculpts but no one buys them, then they wont keep creating them. They're out to make money and if re-sculpts seem like a low priority, or a zero priority, then it's probably because they haven't made money in the past.

And given that the qualifier for staying outside of the archives is merely 6+ a year, that does not mean that those units which remain outside of the archives are in any way selling well.

And as for your finances, I don't care how much you spend, all you need to say is "yes I buy the resculpts".

Also the high ground has a lovely view.
« Last Edit: 02 July 2013, 18:23:26 by Akalabeth »

Khell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #56 on: 02 July 2013, 18:37:21 »
all you need to say is "yes I buy the resculpts".

Yes I buy the resculpts, and that's about the last I have to say to you on this topic because we aren't going to agree, and I'm tired of spinning in circles with people just looking to argue.

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: 02 July 2013, 18:46:33 »
Yes I buy the resculpts, and that's about the last I have to say to you on this topic because we aren't going to agree, and I'm tired of spinning in circles with people just looking to argue.

So now you're labelling me as someone "just looking to argue" instead of actually addressing and countering what I've said? You say I'm looking down at you for challenging you to vote with your wallet?

Here's your argument in a nutshell
1. Super Megacorp GW resculpts stuff, therefore IWM should be able to
2. Some resculpts sell, therefore all resculpts are worthwhile

And both of these arguments are extremely flawed.

The devil is in the details and the fact is what IWM is able to do, and what IWM is inclined to do, is based on those details and if you don't take those details into account then your understanding of why things are what they are will be forever flawed.
« Last Edit: 02 July 2013, 18:51:35 by Akalabeth »

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: 02 July 2013, 19:11:58 »
Here's some simple questions that IWM can ask themselves when considering a resculpt:

1. Is the current sculpt of good quality?
2. Is there public demand for the sculpt to be redone?
3. Are there are any upcoming products which will showcase or otherwise promote the design?
4. Has the unit sold well in past, and if not, are those poor sales based on the design itself or the sculpt?
5. What percentage of the market would be interested in this design? Is it faction specific, or general use?
6. Have comparable resculpts resulted in good sales?
7. Is there time in the production schedule?
8. How old is the current mould? Does it need to be replaced?
9. How much stock is left of the older sculpt, and will re-sculpting it impact the ability to sell the older design?
10. If the sculpt is a variant, how dissimilar will the new variant in comparison to the original or other models.

and so on

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #59 on: 03 July 2013, 01:22:06 »
So now you're labelling me as someone "just looking to argue" instead of actually addressing and countering what I've said? You say I'm looking down at you for challenging you to vote with your wallet?

Here's your argument in a nutshell
1. Super Megacorp GW resculpts stuff, therefore IWM should be able to
2. Some resculpts sell, therefore all resculpts are worthwhile

And both of these arguments are extremely flawed.

The devil is in the details and the fact is what IWM is able to do, and what IWM is inclined to do, is based on those details and if you don't take those details into account then your understanding of why things are what they are will be forever flawed.

No, you're cutting IWM a lot of undeserved slack. If they cannot support the product line, then they are wrong, not the customers. Khell - and others, including myself - are absolutely within our rights to complain.

I seriously think it's time for BattleTech and Iron Wind Metals to part ways. I wish them luck, but they have become a drag on the franchise. BattleTech is about to get a shiny new miniatures rulebook, but the playing pieces themselves are overpriced, poorly sculpted, and the line is incomplete. I know, it's a lot of different units to have to keep in production, and can dig that, but there's no excuse for the attitude of "yes, it looks bad, take it or leave it...at $15 each."
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP