Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Imagine him doing a battletech novel.

From what I recall of his Prelude to Dune, Butlerian Jihad and Star Wars novels, have to agree with the noes above.
Ground Combat / Re: Adding in Arty
« Last post by maxcarrion on Today at 04:49:26 »
Right, I'm going to have a quick go at answering the original question (what options, other than arty, are effective against a heavy hill camper) rather than wading into the how to use arty discussion that this seems to have become.

The answer, as always, is - it depends on what you want to do, how you want to achieve it, and what else is going on.  I'd say you can split the options into 3 categories of choices.  Assuming you have an enemy with good long range firepower in an elevated and covered position you can.

1 - mitigate it.  Your opponent has invested significantly in this "sniper", if you can stay out of it's way you can achieve local superiority elsewhere.  Break lines of sight, offer only poor shots, add smoke, make the conflict happen where the sniper cannot see it/significantly affect it.  This expensive investment now has less affect on the encounter than it's cost justifies and it's commander must either accept this loss of effectiveness or surrender the high ground to move to a less defensive position where they can affect the encounter.

2 - Assault it.  A long range mech on a hill can be efficiently overpowered by short range mechs on the same hill.  Using good counters is especially effective.  For example an AWS-8Q isolated on a hill on overwatch is in trouble if a fast VTOL squadron drops 8 platoons of jump infantry on the same hill.  Those PPCs suck against PBI and while the armour will hold up a while the AWS will get quickly ripped to shreds by close range infantry fire, especially if it refuses to move. 

3 - out shoot it.  Take advantage of it's limitations to get advantages in a ranged firefight, it has ERLL, you use LRMs at range 21, it has PPCs, you wheel some field guns into range and let them kill tiny numbers of infantry while hammering them with autocannons, this is where Arty comes in, or Ortillery, or bombs or IDF LRMs, or using C3 snipers with a hard to hit spotter, or fast moving VTOLS plinking at long range that make them impossible to hit.  Are they using LRMs?  Offer them terrible target numbers and AMS and watch them empty their ammo bins for almost no damage or refuse to fire while you roll 11+s with energy weapons in return.

If they have fixed on a strategy, turn it to your advantage.  If this gives you the opportunity to divide and conquer, take it.  If you can mitigate enemy assets for minimal cost, do it.  If your opposition becomes static, rearrange your forces to offer efficient counters.  Potentially there is opportunity to play the objective without having to engage some enemies, if so, achieve the objective and withdraw.
I remember one of my classmates getting in trouble when they brought Megatron to school.
I've been asked to bring MP-36 Megatron to work (mine has never even had the "this is a toy" cap on either the normal barrel or the extended barrel  so maybe I would have to carry him in his robot form to avoid accidental confusion :laugh:
MechWarrior Hall / Re: Word Association 36: SAY WHAT AGAIN!!!
« Last post by ISD on Today at 04:40:05 »
Automation
Strategic Combat / Re: Spheroid dropships landing damage in SBF
« Last post by Mostro Joe on Today at 04:21:21 »
Because how can be possibile that aerodynes do not take damage of they Land on clear hexes, while dropships do?

It Is also said that spheroids can Land in a wider range of terrains, a thing we see even in the standard Battleforce rules.

So that must be an error. It Is impossible that spheroids can safely Land on paved hexes only of the have a wider range of possibilities.

Or perhaps the spheroids can Land almost everywhere but they MAY take damage, as the text says. But in that case they forgot to insert the check needed to avoid damage. A damage That Is instead automatic for aerodynes.
The question then becomes: How long will we have to pay the shipping ???
The Town
I'm not convinced.  I don't see where, in the text, an Engagement Control Roll is mandatory.

When two enemies end the movement phase in the same hex, the EC roll Is no mandatory.
There Is not EC roll at all!
As the author says the two units ARE ENGAGED.
BattleMechs / Re: 'Warcriming the Militia' - Battlemechs of the WoB
« Last post by Daryk on Today at 03:18:19 »
Glad to hear it!
Lighting Raids would be the most probable for someone who isn't familiar with how the clans operate. not only is it the one that would be most likely to produce results without heavy losses (as you likely would have gotten at least a general idea of how much nastier clan mechs are, if not from the rumors, than from the briefing on the technology your Mr Johnson wants you get samples of), plus lighting raids is pretty much how you would have gone about it when targeting another IS entity for a tech grab. because a smash and grab is more likely to smash the stuff you want to grab.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Register