Author Topic: Clan Blood Spirit Enclave: Heroes of Our Time  (Read 189010 times)

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
  • Better and calmer than you
Clan Blood Spirit Enclave: Heroes of Our Time
« on: 10 February 2013, 19:25:25 »
As the old thread has reached its limit...

Fluffing them out isn't that problem, my love of tongue in cheek jokes is.

Let us in on some of the worst(best) jokes you've made so far?
« Last Edit: 19 April 2013, 08:10:00 by GhostBear »
Anyone can redesign the Hellbringer's base chassis.  Real men work only with the pod loadout- Natasha K (forum poster)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Aegis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42045.msg968574.html#msg968574

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
Re: Clan Blood Spirit Enclave: Passing Through The Flames
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2013, 03:22:46 »
He Wen Thataway, Kow Pie, He Man, were all CapCon pilots. Daisy Dukes has served the Lyrans in a Charger, Johnny Law has been a Copper mechwarrior in one scenario. Hans Olo in a Falcon. Hellen Keller has served the Blood Spirits in a Cyclops in one game. I use names from webcomics for a lot of pilot names too, Torg in a Viking, Riff in a Rifleman. GI Jane as a Commando pilot. Dropships named for airliners, FedSuns Clipper, Star of New Jersey. The Resolute II is a Union Dropship I have painted up right now. An entire storyline about a tank being pushed by a Sgt Bilko that ended up being lost in a raid that had to be gotten back. A Atlas called "The Big O". An entire unit of mercs painted up in my SCA household colors, you don't know how much that annoys one guy. Random names like That Man, This Man, That Man over There have all been used as has a mech piloted by the Man with no Name that hunts the Bounty Hunter. Lee Van Cleef serves as a mechwarrior in my 1st FedSuns Lancers as a Gunslinger Pilot. Things like that, there have been more I just can't think of them right now.

Oops almost forgot the Sea Skimmers numbered 73 and 109 and the Monitor called the Sand Pebble. You would be suprised how few people get some of the references.
« Last Edit: 18 February 2013, 03:32:19 by Stormlion1 »
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2013, 03:42:18 »
The Blood Spirits...   I wish they could have escaped.  Alas, it was not meant to be.  Alack! It was a glorious final autumn.  Cherry blossoms would be envious.  A lone gunshot at dusk would wistfully give report to greet the night. 

But free verse their lines in the Remembrance not be.  Even in canned faux Shakespearean, or yodaspeak, do words fall short and are exposed as paltry things by the light of their ever burning fire of hate for the Clan Way. 

:)

Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2013, 03:50:43 »
Wait...what Trajan...I thought we had until 50 pages? Did the admins change that recently?
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2013, 04:25:04 »
Wait...what Trajan...I thought we had until 50 pages? Did the admins change that recently?

It has something to do with how many posts you have set to be displayed per page as default.

For me, the old thread shows 42 pages.

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2013, 10:24:39 »
Hmmm. I thought something was off when my smartphone displayed something different from my home computer. My browser was showing 50 pages and I thought everyone ran that as a default. Color me embarrassed and not-the-savviest when it comes to this kind of stuff.
Anyone can redesign the Hellbringer's base chassis.  Real men work only with the pod loadout- Natasha K (forum poster)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Aegis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42045.msg968574.html#msg968574

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2013, 10:34:34 »
He Wen Thataway, Kow Pie, He Man, were all CapCon pilots. Daisy Dukes has served the Lyrans in a Charger, Johnny Law has been a Copper mechwarrior in one scenario. Hans Olo in a Falcon. Hellen Keller has served the Blood Spirits in a Cyclops in one game................ An entire unit of mercs painted up in my SCA household colors, you don't know how much that annoys one guy.

;D Some great puns there. When I was active in the SCA in Ansteorra, we had a knight by the name of, "Asaph Harts," and I knew a guy who tried get heraldry to match a name he was trying to get approved, Beamus Upscotty.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2013, 18:46:09 »
SCA names are always fun. Know a guy named Nicholas Claus with his heraldry being a red field with three farming impliments on it. Three hoes. My own name is a Battletech Referance, its Hans Steiner. I couldn't get a upthrust gauntlet in my arms, but I did get a Fox on it.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2013, 00:51:23 »
So to get back on track on page 1, WHY does everyone like the Spirits so much?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2013, 00:55:36 »
You just can't keep 'em down.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2013, 01:16:49 »
So to get back on track on page 1, WHY does everyone like the Spirits so much?

They are the Liao of Clan Space.
They tried to treat the other Clans well, and were smacked for it. They were forced into adopting a
Fortress York approach, with a military as large as any other Clan...on ONE WORLD. The only way to
take them out is, ultimately, what was used: Orbital Bombardment. Frankly, the Fall of York is one of
those things that just seemed completely un-Clan-like for the Adders. If they were tired of wasting the
resources in the meatgrinder of York, they could have just pulled out. That is one thing that the WoR
and WoRS fails to make clear: why did the Adders do it?

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2013, 01:36:56 »
They are the Liao of Clan Space.
They tried to treat the other Clans well, and were smacked for it. They were forced into adopting a Fortress York approach, with a military as large as any other Clan...on ONE WORLD. The only way to take them out is, ultimately, what was used: Orbital Bombardment. Frankly, the Fall of York is one of those things that just seemed completely un-Clan-like for the Adders. If they were tired of wasting the resources in the meatgrinder of York, they could have just pulled out. That is one thing that the WoR and WoRS fails to make clear: why did the Adders do it?
You already said it.  Hanse started the 4th war over ego and personal annoyance.  "A fit of pique" as it was stated.  The Adders had the same attitude towards the Spirits; they couldn't just pull out because that would prove their weakness.  So they just destroyed the Spirits out of ego and annoyance.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2013, 01:50:01 »
You know...I wonder if the Adders had not destroyed York, but, instead, had sent a request for Hegiira,and left York intact
if, when the Trial of Absorption was declared, if the Adders would have had to kill every Spirit Bondsman they took? Could the
Adders have actually strengthened themselves?

Then again, I also kind of wonder why WERE the Adders awarded the Right of Absorption? It would seem that Stone Lions
and Coyotes were the ones who could have argued most for it. And Cloud Cobra could have actually pulled it off without
the enmity that had spawned between the Adders and Spirits. I mean, really: the loss of the Spirits weakened the Clans as
a whole.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2013, 01:58:01 »
Chicken Bone Defence, the other Clans could have absorbed the Spirits but would have choked on it and gutted themselves. In other words, what the Coyotes or the Stone Lions could have gotten out of a absorbtion would have been nothing compared to what they would have lost in the attempt. The Spirits were on the ropes but would have put up a heck of a fight. I was always suprised the Spirits were not kicked out of the Homeworlds like the Scorps as it would have been less wasteful rescource wise, if you could count the Colleen System as part of Clan space that is.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 19 February 2013, 02:15:26 »
Could the Cobras have actually used some diplomacy to get the Spirits to put up "token" resistance, though, and thus
took the Spirits and Coleen system more or less intact? Though...that might be exactly why the Adders didn't let them...
the Cobras would have become strong enough to have, potentially, challenged the Adders for the Top Snake in the Homeworlds.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 19 February 2013, 11:00:35 »
Doubtful in my opinion, pride goeth before a fall. The Spirits, they had pride in abundance. To much that making a deal would have been beneath them. They wanted to be dead right rather than alive at all.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 19 February 2013, 20:24:16 »
the idea of a more or less cooperative clan structure and esprit de corps are what sucked me in.

I really like the Blood Kite too
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 19 February 2013, 21:50:13 »
For me it was a unit name that started it. The Blood Guard Keshik, same name as my SCA Household, House Bloodguard. Then I got into their underdog status and I always love the underdog.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 20 February 2013, 03:42:07 »
I think the Lions also went along with the Adders in a hope that they'll get a reward for being good little lapdogs.  You scratch my back, etc.

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #19 on: 20 February 2013, 04:35:23 »
Doubtful in my opinion, pride goeth before a fall. The Spirits, they had pride in abundance. To much that making a deal would have been beneath them. They wanted to be dead right rather than alive at all.

Definitely. The Spirits were all pride and guts, and a living example of (too?) rigid adherence to the Founder's vision. Mere musings, I know, but I can't help wondering if their demise does not pave the way for extremely deep changes in the Way of the Clans, at least how we understood it till now. ;)
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 20 February 2013, 05:40:20 »
Definitely. The Spirits were all pride and guts, and a living example of (too?) rigid adherence to the Founder's vision. Mere musings, I know, but I can't help wondering if their demise does not pave the way for extremely deep changes in the Way of the Clans, at least how we understood it till now. ;)

Who knows....it all depends on who the ilClan turns out to be, does it not?

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #21 on: 20 February 2013, 08:04:36 »
Who knows....it all depends on who the ilClan turns out to be, does it not?

Meh, on the surface it looks like we're not going to see the homeclans in the DA cycle.  Unless the Ilclan book changes the meaning.  Also, doesn't Ben Rome still have dibs on the homeworlds?  Until the Kurita book is done I think we're on hold and possibly longer.

It does not look like the homeclans figure into the main story line in the near future.  My completely speculative guess is the Ilclan will be a likely candidate (Wolf) taking Terra.  I'd also say any Homeclan source material will be smaller stuff outside th main plot.  They off'd half the factions and all of the more popular clans are either dead or in the IS now.  A book about the Coyotes, Cobras, Lions, and Adders is not going to be a high volume item.

To the patient go the spoils

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: 20 February 2013, 08:35:08 »
I think the Lions also went along with the Adders in a hope that they'll get a reward for being good little lapdogs.  You scratch my back, etc.
I think it was more of a case of the Lions going along with the Adders in the hopes that they wouldn't get absorbed/annihilated before they have a chance to build up their touman to respectable levels.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 20 February 2013, 11:17:26 »
I should add that I was hooked by the name too ...

I'm happy that the bloodlines have been preserved (at least I hope they have!).  I was kind of annoyed that the Spirit officer corps kinda got stuck in the mud though ... a wee bit of initiative and creativity would have kept them going in all the right ways.  But then, they'd Wolf copy-dogs.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #24 on: 20 February 2013, 11:44:24 »
SCA names are always fun. Know a guy named Nicholas Claus with his heraldry being a red field with three farming impliments on it. Three hoes. My own name is a Battletech Referance, its Hans Steiner. I couldn't get a upthrust gauntlet in my arms, but I did get a Fox on it.

Our newest Duke in An Tir is Duke Skegi Newcombe...

I hadn't seen the mods close the thread, oh well. This is the first I've seen this thread.

Anyway, love the spirits for what they stood for and for their I'm never going to give up no matter what attitude. I don't really think if them as Laio in clan space. If they were then they would have won the WoR and been in command of everything.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

alex blood spirit

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 20 February 2013, 11:54:49 »
here is a question?? how spirit warriors went with the clan invasion in 3050 and did any remain in the inner sphere?? ;) ;)

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #26 on: 20 February 2013, 12:23:52 »
Did any go? I don't remember reading about any.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #27 on: 20 February 2013, 19:18:25 »
The Wolf Clan Sourcebook, if I'm remembering right, mentions a former Spirit who was taken as bondsman and granted warrior status.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #28 on: 20 February 2013, 20:52:36 »
STAR CAPTAIN SUMNER JOHNS
Commander of Binary Fighter (3rd Battle Cluster)
Star Captain Sumner Johns is abtakha from Clan Blood Spirit,
who lost a Trial of Refusal to the Wolves twelve years ago . To prove
his fitness for adoption, he faced a grueling Trial of Position during
which he destroyed three Wolf fighters before he was shot down by
a fourth fighter . He lost his right arm in the duel, but holds no grudge
toward Clan Wolf . In fact, he had his prosthetic arm specially
constructed to resemble the forelimb of a wolf, down to the fur and
claws ; only the dextrous fingers are human . His prosthetic arm, and
the fact that he is burly and wears a beard and mustache, has
earned him the alias "Wolfman ." He is an excellent motivator, which
is why his fighter Binary is considered one of the best in the Clans.
For some reason, however, this fine unit failed to see much action
in the invasion.
WCSB pg 89.

He survives Tukayyid but likely is another forgotten charactor in terms of The Narative. he was also an aerospace jock, not a 'mech driver.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #29 on: 20 February 2013, 21:06:00 »
He survived and went with Phelan Kell.  And I believe so did Craig Ward, the uber-Warden, I think.  Johns is actually a pretty cool minor minor character, considering he was born to the most isolationist Clan and who were known for their Crusader fervor, then he became a Wolf, and either already was a Warden or became one and during the invasion split with the Exiles.  That's a pretty good arc, many a major character would envy that track I would think.

It was in the old Falcon and Wolf book.

Would be great to read a story about him.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert