Author Topic: Clan Protectorate  (Read 200170 times)

Nightgaun7

• Warrant Officer
  • The ends justify the means.
    • Built for War - A BattleTech TRO by fans like you!
Re: Clan Protectorate
« Reply #720 on: 06 March 2017, 23:06:43 »
I do not think that Sea Lion would fit a fast medium 'Mech.

By the way, how is it going with Built for War TRO?

Slowly but surely. Trying to accumulate some more funds in the war chest at the moment.

You could go with a new naming aesthetic.  Instead of something feline to denote a Spirit/Nova Cat origin, or something piscine to denote a Sea Fox mech... what about a name indicating a Protectorate origin? :)  Given the Protectorate is based from Marik, I suggest Aetos.  (Greek for Eagle)

I like it, will put it on the list.
« Last Edit: 06 March 2017, 23:08:27 by Nightgaun7 »

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #721 on: 06 March 2017, 23:53:32 »
Trying to accumulate some more funds in the war chest at the moment.

You know, you could try to maintain a thread on this forum with the updates. I am not sure that your blog sees more traffic than this site.

Nightgaun7

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #722 on: 06 March 2017, 23:56:15 »
You know, you could try to maintain a thread on this forum with the updates. I am not sure that your blog sees more traffic than this site.

Not allowed to.

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #723 on: 07 March 2017, 00:08:20 »

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #724 on: 07 March 2017, 12:45:07 »
I need a name for a Protectorate-built fast medium 'Mec. Figured y'all might have some good suggestions.

Sabrecat.  Sabretooth.  Sabreclaw.  Sabreshark.

The warship that bombed Edo/Turtle Bay was the CSJ Sabre Cat, indicating that maybe there's a smilodon-like relative of the nova cat back on the Clan Homeworlds called the sabre cat.  Maybe Nova Cat refugees brought some sabre cats with them to the Clan Protectorate and the new mech was named after this species.

Sabretooth is a little less Nova Cat-centric.  Although no real-world shark has ever had true sabre teeth, it could be a general reference to the sharpness of both feline and shark teeth.

Sabreclaw could be a lower tech variant for export to former Marik sub-states.  Could also refer to the Nova Cats in addition to the Marik eagle.

And Sabreshark would be an obvious bow to the Diamond Sharks.  Maybe there's an actual sabre shark species on the Homeworlds.

The Juliano assault mech is built on Angell II in the Protectorate.  I've homegrown full Clantech variants that use these names.  Would also fit a mobile medium.

FWIW...

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Doy

• Sergeant
  • Clan Snow Wolf
    • Clan Snow Wolf - Homepage
« Reply #725 on: 09 March 2017, 17:25:07 »
The Mad Cat III  mech name joke i will continue with some MECH NAMES:

Corona Cat
Ghost Cat
Ghost Kitten
Madival Cat
Maniak Cat
Samurai Pizza Cat (a Joke  :D ;D )
Sun Cat

Nightgaun7

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #726 on: 22 March 2017, 20:53:11 »
A little teaser from our fan TRO for my fellow Protectorate fans. Look closely!

Check out our blog for more stuff. There's another Protectorate mech coming, among other things.
« Last Edit: 22 March 2017, 20:57:09 by Nightgaun7 »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #727 on: 22 March 2017, 21:00:02 »
i like it
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #728 on: 02 April 2017, 05:39:24 »
The Mad Cat III  mech name joke i will continue with some MECH NAMES:

Corona Cat
Ghost Cat
Ghost Kitten
Madival Cat
Maniak Cat
Samurai Pizza Cat (a Joke  :D ;D )
Sun Cat

ohhh look at that, name one for me!!!

Anyone remember Bakeneko?  (Crazy Cat) 
GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #729 on: 02 April 2017, 12:44:07 »
"Cat Monster" is probably what they were going for.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #730 on: 05 April 2017, 12:29:27 »
bake = "Change, take the form of, monster"
baka = "Idiot"

Slight difference there. :)

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #731 on: 24 April 2017, 10:30:59 »
bake = "Change, take the form of, monster"
baka = "Idiot"

Slight difference there. :)

So you are saying "Bakeneko" is a shape changing cat such as a Were Tiger or Rakshasa. 

I rather like the "Demon Kitty" approach myself, though I can understand the attitude about charging into the middle of a Wolf Pack could be considered slightly insane if not actually suicidal.

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #732 on: 26 April 2017, 12:13:42 »
The bakeneko is a particular type of monster from Japanese folklore, actually. I was just giving the root of the words to show where the error was.

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #733 on: 12 September 2017, 16:36:57 »
given how little time has passed since they started doing that, i suspect it is just a temporary measure. shunting the refugees into their own formation makes it simplier to organize, and helps to avoid forcing the incoming people from having to choose allegiances blind.

i suspect the Spirit Cat leadership, and whatever Nova Cat leadership made it to the Protectorate so far, have been hashing out how to handle things. are the Spirit Cats a clan of their own or just the biggest Nova Cat fragment? what do you do with the Nova Cats that don't want to join the Spirit Cats officially? etc.
once the flow of refugees slows to a trickle, they'll officially integrate them into the Spirit Cats or reform the Nova Cats or whatever the outcome of those discussions decides.

It should be noted that Kev Rosse's goal was to save the Nova Cat Clan.  I think the Spirit Cats, once they are assured that they have done so, will be all too happy to drop the distinction.

The question is whether the Nova Cat survivors will be willing to acknowledge and give credit to the Spirit Cats for their survival, or consider to hold them separate.

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #734 on: 12 September 2017, 19:42:48 »
 . . . consider FM3150 has some of the survivors escaping to join the Protectorate . . . how can they not?  The Spirit Cats will be the dominate culture unless the Foxes overshadow their influence with the Novas.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #735 on: 12 September 2017, 22:15:28 »
i think that by the time the Protectorate came about, the Spirit Cats had established a fairly distinct identity separate from their Nova Cat origins. while i suspect that the Spirit Cats would accept any Nova Cat refugees that wanted to become Spirit Cats, i doubt that either would be willing to force anyone to amalgamate under a given title.. the Nova Cat refugees are too weak and small a population to be able to force anything (plus they are living on Spirit Cat charity), while i doubt the Spirit Cats really want to force anyone to conform to their views.. since IIRC it was differences of opinion on how the Nova cats were developing socially that created the Spirit Cat/Nova Cat split in the first place.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #736 on: 13 September 2017, 17:52:53 »
I never said they will force them . . . but as the dominate culture its very likely they will eventually be assimilated into the Spirit Cat culture.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #737 on: 20 September 2017, 18:20:26 »
The Spirit Cats are Spirit Cats for a reason though. They felt like the Nova Cats had separated from their past and followed a spirit quest so they wouldn't get annihilated.

I can't see them going back now. But that's not a bad thing. The Spirit Cats are just a doubling down of the Nova Cats flavor.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #738 on: 04 August 2018, 16:21:42 »
 Any news about Clan Protectorate?)
« Last Edit: 04 August 2018, 17:01:04 by Rncavenger »

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #739 on: 04 August 2018, 17:32:23 »
Protectorate continues to exist, playing a role in ongoing FWL issues.

Integral in the subjugation of Regulus, the Fox side has bought up all of ComStar's assets in FWL territory.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #740 on: 04 August 2018, 17:40:19 »
Sabrecat.  Sabretooth.  Sabreclaw.  Sabreshark.

The warship that bombed Edo/Turtle Bay was the CSJ Sabre Cat, indicating that maybe there's a smilodon-like relative of the nova cat back on the Clan Homeworlds called the sabre cat.  Maybe Nova Cat refugees brought some sabre cats with them to the Clan Protectorate and the new mech was named after this species.

Sabretooth is a little less Nova Cat-centric.  Although no real-world shark has ever had true sabre teeth, it could be a general reference to the sharpness of both feline and shark teeth.

Sabreclaw could be a lower tech variant for export to former Marik sub-states.  Could also refer to the Nova Cats in addition to the Marik eagle.

And Sabreshark would be an obvious bow to the Diamond Sharks.  Maybe there's an actual sabre shark species on the Homeworlds.

The Juliano assault mech is built on Angell II in the Protectorate.  I've homegrown full Clantech variants that use these names.  Would also fit a mobile medium.

FWIW...

given it originated on a world in the FWL, perhaps they could name a new mech, fighter, or ship the Tabiranth.. it would fit the animal naming scheme of the Cat's.. but being an IS critter, would show a tie to the new FWL.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #741 on: 06 August 2018, 14:37:47 »
Are we missing our Nova Cats? Shattered Fortress has an important situation for the Spirit Cats.

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #742 on: 07 August 2018, 03:43:44 »
I'm surprised that Riccard again in  in his FS9-M2 Firestarter. And has not yet received bloodname)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #743 on: 07 August 2018, 09:06:23 »
Heck, that he is piloting a Firestarter!  He had a Shadow Hawk IIC with ATMs I think . . . and we know the Protectorate has access to all the goodies the Foxes can produce, or they build in their space . . . Juliano, Guillotine C or whatever . . .
Colt Ward

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #744 on: 07 August 2018, 09:47:23 »
Well....

He needs a new mech now.

You're right that he was cruising in a Shadowhawk IIC.

Maybe he hasn't had time to set up the Nova Cat Blood Houses?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #745 on: 07 August 2018, 10:01:06 »
Protectorate was set up in . . . late 30s?  Both the Nova Cats and Warden Wolves set theirs up on moving, so I do not think that is the case- for instance IIRC Path of Glory they had the house politics going but did not have all the shrines built.

Reason could be quite simple in all the upheaval . . . they may not have any sort of control of his Bloodhouse, or the limited number of legacies of his Bloodhouse they control are still alive.
Colt Ward

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #746 on: 07 August 2018, 12:00:15 »
Due to the fractured nature of the DA and the lack of communications they may be struggling to set up events for Bloodrite Trials, Grand Kutreis (spelling the thing for Oathmasters), or a Eugenetics program at all
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #747 on: 07 August 2018, 12:07:58 »
I am curious about the eugenics program..

But in, "To Ride the Chimera" Julietta remarks about how their infrastructure just suddenly arrived and was functional.

Also... they shouldn't have problems with communication because they're essentially all that's left of the Nova Cats.

Maybe Rikkard is being polite and seeing if more Nova Cats show up? But it's been eight or nine years since 3142 when the Nova Cats in the Draconis Combine were annihilated.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #748 on: 07 August 2018, 12:58:04 »
Well, some bloodnames are easier to resolve than others . . .

Star Captain Victor West is killed by the Wolf Empire in a trial- his Conjurer lost its head in the latest Trial of Possession.

Because they know a West Bloodname is suddenly vacant, any with the West Bloodname in the Spirit Cats in the Protectorate get to nominate one unblooded for the Trial and whoever is the Bloodhouse Leader fills in the rest of the field- supposing they have 32 warriors in the ranks able to compete.  If not?  IMO the warriors nominated by current Bloodnamed would get a first round bye.  No West Bloodnamed among the Spirit Cats?  Rikkard as the leader would be Oathmaster and standing in for the Bloodhouse Leader, would fill the field . . . unless there was not enough to really make a go- after all, do you want to give a bloodname to someone out of a field of 3 candidates?  If that were the case, it may go dormant waiting for sibkos to come of age and experience combat.

Spirit Cat bloodhouses are going to have some problems unless they plan to perform some Trials of Propagation in about 15 years, or declare claims over names vacated by the Combine's extermination.  The reason I say this is they have already been forced into ever narrowing options . . . what they had claim to was the Bloodnames of those who went with Delta Galaxy into the Republic- and some of those names could have been challenged for by regular Nova Cats, we do not know- then we know not all the Spirit Cat forces made it to the Protectorate.  Kev Rosse died in the Republic and so did other Spirit Cat units, either from fighting against the RAF, other splinter groups or Houses.  So the reason Rikkard may not have a bloodname is that all the Spirit Cat holders either died in the chaos of the Fortress being established, or was behind the Fortress wall when it went up . . . and they would have no way of reliably getting information about the name being vacated.  IMO its a real question of did Rikkard's Spirit Cats even get any genetic legacies from their enclaves in the Republic. 

Additionally, the first Spirit Cat sibkos should be about 10 y/o and if they had the legacies available setting up the sibko system would be easy with their powerful allies.  I wonder if the Foxes also took possession of the Nova Cat genetic repositories/legacies when the Dracs went stomping.  They seemed to have a agreement standing by for the Nova Cat property.
Colt Ward

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #749 on: 07 August 2018, 15:37:31 »
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 17:38:26 by Easy »

Register