Author Topic: Protomech of the Week- The Sprite  (Read 18727 times)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Re: Protomech of the Week- The Sprite
« Reply #30 on: 05 March 2015, 17:13:22 »
The concept we settled on was ATM for Protos that were very specifically to be fired in very large numbers on a single target. Like a whole Sept (21) of ProtoMechs on a single target. With its access to the nicer ammo types, this one salvo was supposed to cripple the target; a second salvo would be preserved for a fresh target. So, definitely as many IMPs and IIWs as you could get on target. [Edit: mixed in with some regular or HE ATMs to ensure it has to make a PSR as well, of course. Even an Osteon Prime should start firing multiple ammo types once the ranges permit.
But yes, in the above context, I was intending the Sprite 3 to be with 20 buddies when it fired its four Fusilades, ideally the 'off button' for an assault Mech that has proven itself too successful. It'd help if I properly read the rules though. Still, even reduced to "just" 2 launcher, that tactic is not completely without merit.

Hmm, that's interesting. I can definitely see the merits of firing off a huge mixed volley of Infernos and IMPs, but I'm not sold on using massed Fusillades to cripple a target. I mean, the Fusillade weighs 1.5 tons for a total of 9 damage (if using HE ammo). Although it's competitive when compared to stuff like an ERMedium, your standard SRM volley will do just fine (1.4 tons for an SRM-4 with 10 shots of ammo). You also get the advantage of, well, endurance. I know I'm sounding like a minmaxer here, but you can get two Medium Chem Lasers with 5 shots each for 1.5 tons. But now that I look at things, it's true that you'll be hard-pressed to get that large a damage spike for under 1.5 tons.

That said though, it's slow speed shouldn't be underestimated. A 5/8/5 'Mech should be able to prevent encirclement fairly well. And if you compare the fight to a 75 ton 'Mech, there's quite a few in that tonnage range that I can see doing quite well. Faster 'Mechs can easily use terrain to split the force up, preventing all of them from firing, or from firing with the same to-hit numbers.
This means the Sprite is very specifically intended to be a response to assault Mechs of 4/6 or slower. That's a situation where they'll have a high instance of dictating the particulars of the fight.
And overall tactics aside, the Society had few answers to assault Mechs. They needed asymmetrical answers to most problems.

Well, that's when using Sprites alongside stuff like the Cecerops or Siren works really well. Even if your opponent has one of the hundreds of 5/8 or 6/9 heavies that the Clans love to use, you can use the lighter stuff to encircle them while using the mobility of the Sprite to maneuver into the best brackets. I'd say it'd be a good use of manpower as well; take the young and inexperienced sibbies and labrats, pump them full of feralize, and throw them into some of the cheapest Protos where they'll at least get a small boost to their Frenzy damage.

EDIT: WOOO PAGE 2 ON A PROTOMECH ARTICLE!! THE RAPTURE IS NIGH!!
« Last Edit: 05 March 2015, 17:15:41 by GreekFire »
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 05 March 2015, 18:33:19 »
Isn't it 18 damage, since the Fusillade comes with a single reload?

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 05 March 2015, 20:10:14 »
But yes, in the above context, I was intending the Sprite 3 to be with 20 buddies when it fired its four Fusilades, ideally the 'off button' for an assault Mech that has proven itself too successful. It'd help if I properly read the rules though. Still, even reduced to "just" 2 launcher, that tactic is not completely without merit.

Final remark: I've noticed a trend in this article that tries to judge the ProtoMech for its own isolated merits, while even in the Clan format, they deploy in large numbers.  I think their utility (or their failures) are better examined when you look at them in their smallest deployment. 5 or 3/9.

Hey, thanks a lot! To be honest, I never thought about grading protos as a group and I can't believe I never did!
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 05 March 2015, 21:37:00 »
Cool, glad I made a difference!
On Society ProtoMech organization: the elements of 3 are command elements. Groups of 9 are the operational end, they're assigned a target by their leadership and expected to work together to get the job done. Commanders would ideally prefer to hang back, if the situation permits.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #34 on: 05 March 2015, 23:34:20 »
Cool, glad I made a difference!
On Society ProtoMech organization: the elements of 3 are command elements. Groups of 9 are the operational end, they're assigned a target by their leadership and expected to work together to get the job done. Commanders would ideally prefer to hang back, if the situation permits.

clarification
society organization seems based around primes.

the smallest is an Un, roughly equal to a clan point.
3 BA, 3 proto's, 7 vehicles, 1 mech, or 1 fighter to an un.
a trey is three Un's, and is a fairly typical combat deployment.
two trey's and a command Un make up a Sept, which was the main society 'large' unit.

however it would be unlikely to have a pure Proto sept. most would be a mix of proto's, vehicles, mechs, and BA. and even if it had several Un's of proto's, odds are they'd be different chassis types.
so it would be better to think in terms of groups of 3 (for the society) or groups of 5 (for after the reavings when those models are adopted for use in clan forces)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #35 on: 06 March 2015, 00:29:30 »
Isn't it 18 damage, since the Fusillade comes with a single reload?

I meant per shot, gah.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 06 March 2015, 09:48:42 »
the smallest is an Un, roughly equal to a clan point.
3 BA, 3 proto's, 7 vehicles, 1 mech, or 1 fighter to an un.
a trey is three Un's, and is a fairly typical combat deployment.
two trey's and a command Un make up a Sept, which was the main society 'large' unit.

Yep!

however it would be unlikely to have a pure Proto sept.

Partially accurate. Proto's is one area the Society actually had decent numbers. So single-model ProtoMech Septs did exist.
That said, it would be more typical to see 3 different types: two homogenous Treys, and a command Un with its own variant.
But yes, formations where there was a wide variety of ProtoMechs were not rare either. It's just that I wouldn't categorize more homogenous formations as "unlikely".

It should be noted though that regardless of whether you're dealing with 1 configuration or multiple, the Society model was to consider the ProtoMech Trey the preferred combat unit over an Un, so I think if you're trying to look at ProtoMech performance, the ideal numbers to consider are 5 (for regular Clans) and 9 (for the Society context).

Paul

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #37 on: 06 March 2015, 11:07:25 »
So basically 3 Sprites hanging back and providing fire support for Bogarts and that other quad with melee system and methed out rabid pilots.

That's what you guys came up with???

So my mech is dealing with 60 LRM's, 3 plasma cannons (or MPLs), 12 SRM's, and 3 robotic rabid wolves trying to rip its face off.

I feel no shame in building uber custom Night Gyr's, Blood Asp's etc in SSW and pointing them at any Society formation.  (Before one of you jokers talks asymmetrical check the colors, I'll add SC's flamers, pulse, and any other munchy way to deal with asymetrical, I'm an Adder damnit!)

To the patient go the spoils

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 06 March 2015, 11:28:35 »
So basically 3 Sprites hanging back and providing fire support for Bogarts and that other quad with melee system and methed out rabid pilots.

That's what you guys came up with???

Yep!

So my mech is dealing with 60 LRM's, 3 plasma cannons (or MPLs), 12 SRM's, and 3 robotic rabid wolves trying to rip its face off.

60 LRMs, 9 Plasma Cannons*, and 9 rabid wolves.
Trying to take down 1 BattleMech at a time. If sheer firepower doesn't drop them, the heat should be an issues, and the Basilisks should be creating some interesting leg-related piloting problems.

* Well, a Trey of Boggarts will most likely hose down multiple 'Mech targets to reduce their efficiency, or group to wreck vehicles/battle armor quickly. You only need 2 Plasma Cannon hits on average to hit the max, call it 3 hits on target to seal the deal.

I feel no shame in building uber custom Night Gyr's, Blood Asp's etc in SSW and pointing them at any Society formation.  (Before one of you jokers talks asymmetrical check the colors, I'll add SC's flamers, pulse, and any other munchy way to deal with asymetrical, I'm an Adder damnit!)

Well, don't forget that most Society Mech formations average to 4/5 skills, most ProtoMech formations average to 3/4, and most vehicle formations to 5/6 at best. Battle Armor was too sporadic to factor in.
So, I would expect to see that opposed by 2/3 skills or better.
For example, the Society vs Steel Viper game I'm running tomorrow will have the above averages, while the Viper Fusiliers average to 1/2 skills. The Society has 1 MechWarrior in that league (2/3), everyone else is worse. Meanwhile, they're facing a whole Cluster of 1/2 murderers.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #39 on: 06 March 2015, 12:18:46 »
Well, don't forget that most Society Mech formations average to 4/5 skills, most ProtoMech formations average to 3/4, and most vehicle formations to 5/6 at best. Battle Armor was too sporadic to factor in.

Where are the average Society skills given again? I remember seeing them before but I don't remember where.

For example, the Society vs Steel Viper game I'm running tomorrow will have the above averages, while the Viper Fusiliers average to 1/2 skills. The Society has 1 MechWarrior in that league (2/3), everyone else is worse. Meanwhile, they're facing a whole Cluster of 1/2 murderers.

Man, I wish I could see this game happen. Alpha Strike, or standard?

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #40 on: 06 March 2015, 13:06:03 »
Yeah I truly don't understand how Society mech warriors really ever stood a chance even with the crazy toys and asymetrical tactics.

The first time a solid clan (Vipers count) shows up in force you're going to die wholesale.  Say what you want about BV, but in universe an elite frontline clan cluster is going decimate you on the battlefield.  I thought the Society really missed trying to ever fight on a battefield.  They'd have been better off busting out the chemical/biological weapons and keeping their heads down.

The Sprite may be the one exception.  It's armed well enough to fight, armored well enough to survive, and mobile enough to evade.  Ok, two exceptions, the Osteon is going to give its pilot some opportunities.  I love the Septicemia, it's an awesome mech.  Even it and it's network of friends is going to get waxed against the best the clans have.  When that cluster rolls up in all its 1/2-2/3 glory.  You're units are just plain going to die faster than the tricks help you.  Especially after the first time that clan fights you.  They know you're cheating and they have no issue forgetting zell ever existed.

Now that's why the clans won of course.

My real interest is in what's next for the Sprite.  Because somebody out there in the blackness of the deep periohery is probably facing them in groups of five with snakes and kitties painted on them.  And this is where my attention really peaks.  What does a Sprite (or the aforementioned off topic society mechs) do in the hands of a clan warrior as part of the clan warmachine.  This is what I want to see!

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #42 on: 11 March 2015, 21:04:20 »
Yeah, clan elite clusters are freaking insane.  They're damn near impossible to play in a BV2 game since you can get a small warship fleet to counter them for equal BV.  But this game highlights my point.  What happens when those elite warriors start playing with those sick toys.  1/2 gunner in a Savage Yote Prime (with iATMs swapped in).  That's evil, actually it's not evil.  It's a giant sledgehammer.  It ain't subtle.  Same with the protos.  What happens when the Cobras with their refined phenotype and highly trained pilots start running trinaries of Sprites or whatever they develop from the Sprite. 

At the basic level.  What happens when a 3/4 regular clanner gets hands on a Selticemia E (with NOVA removed for whatever)?  Or the ATM version with iATMs?  The Septi E with the deadweight removed is a bad mother.  Put a clan warrior in the cockpit, and it'll win a lot of fights against anyone else.

I can't wait to see where this goes next out there behind the curtain...

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 11 March 2015, 21:36:24 »
Yeah, clan elite clusters are freaking insane.  They're damn near impossible to play in a BV2 game since you can get a small warship fleet to counter them for equal BV. 

They were only 400,000 BV. ;p
Before the disease kicked in.

At the basic level.  What happens when a 3/4 regular clanner gets hands on a Selticemia E (with NOVA removed for whatever)?

Well, it's nice, but my last 2 games had a 3/4 in the Sept E, since it's supposed to go to the better MWs, and it's not that earth shattering unless you fail to deal with the spotters.

Or the ATM version with iATMs?

? The Septicemia A does have iATMs. The Pariah A does not because the Sharks didn't realize what they were dealing with.

Paul

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 11 March 2015, 22:03:10 »
The E variant of the Sept isn't as scary as you'd think- it just doesn't have the heat sinks, as walking and firing both cannons with the Nova generates 5 extra heat.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 18 September 2017, 14:08:16 »
 [drool]