Author Topic: Eriance's Custom 'Mech design thread  (Read 85356 times)

HMS_Swiftsure

• Master Sergeant
Re: Eriance's Custom 'Mech design thread
« Reply #240 on: 26 December 2011, 02:28:41 »
Agreed.  I just browsed this thread, saw the Xiphos, showed the image to my buddy who agreed that it should replace both the unseen and reseen Marauders.  Then I read that minis were going to be made...

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #241 on: 26 December 2011, 06:25:24 »
You did an awesome art!
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #242 on: 26 December 2011, 15:39:47 »
Then I read that minis were going to be made...

really? When!  :o

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

Sagan

• Sergeant
« Reply #243 on: 26 December 2011, 17:40:09 »
This will likely be my last set of battletech-ish art for a while. I think it's time for me to move onto something else that I have trouble drawing to better well-round out my artistic skills; most likely coloring.
  Come on guy you cant stop doing BT art for awhile. You do some fantastic Mechs.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #244 on: 26 December 2011, 17:42:25 »
That 'Mech, second row, far right, is that a Longbow, that is really cool

Cergorach

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #245 on: 26 December 2011, 19:31:16 »
That is not a Longbow, that is a Hurlbat ;-)

I expect the minis to be available in early 2012, first batch will contain the Tarasque, the Gnat, the Xiphos, the Geruda, and the Hurlbat. In the following scales 1/300, 1/450, and 1/900. The Tarasque will be around 50mm (~2") tall in 1/300, 33mm (~1.3") tall in 1/450, and 17mm (~0.7") tall in 1/900. Larger versions are planned if the others sell well: 1/150 (N-scale), 1/100 (15/18mm scale), and 1/60 (30mm scale). I'm aiming to keep the scales consistent, the Tarasque is the heaviest Mech available (without going into Super Heavy Mecha categories), the Gnat is the Lightest. The Tarasque is 15m tall (~45'), the Gnat will be around 9m tall (~30') or 3cm in 1/300.

Shane "Sandman" will be showing off the 3D sculpts in the near future.

The art will be available under an Open Source license (probably the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license), any 'fluff' text and game rules will be available under the Open Game License (OGL). Game book pdfs will be available for for free.

Background will be a corporate world/system that can be placed into any sci-fi setting featuring Mecha and Cyberpunk. Rules will not be a selling point, but will be developed in an open format so that a 'complete' package can be offered.

The last four months have been very busy for me, so I've not got a site ready yet, I hope to get something ready in the coming month.

I don't want to step on the toes of the powers that be, so I'll try to comment as little as possible on this forum on this subject.
« Last Edit: 26 December 2011, 19:35:07 by Cergorach »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #246 on: 26 December 2011, 19:48:54 »
I'll be very interested in the Tarasque.

Eriance

• Corporal
« Reply #247 on: 27 December 2011, 02:11:07 »
That 'Mech, second row, far right, is that a Longbow, that is really cool

It was; but since the art has been bought by another, new official names must be given with the new design.

Since non of the mecha designs will be in the BT universe, I think it would be a good time to take on more freedom with the weapon load and designs for the rest of the ex-custom unseens. It would help differentiate the new product from the existing one, i think.
« Last Edit: 27 December 2011, 02:16:46 by Eriance »
The Sentient Mushroom

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #248 on: 27 December 2011, 15:53:01 »
So it was going to be a Longbow.......now its called a Hurlbat. I would love to get my hands on a couple minis  O0

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #249 on: 27 December 2011, 17:58:03 »
Folks, you've done a decent job so far, but let's all remember rule 10 going forward, shall we?

Quote from: Rule 10:
Do not offer to sell/trade anything on these forums. Do not offer to buy/trade anything on these forums.
Do not post links to active E-Bay auctions or similar content. It is acceptable to link to completed auctions.
Do not post links to online businesses without first gaining permission from a site Admin. It is acceptable to post links to online or FLGS or other resources to assist fellow posters in locating items, as long as the other rules are followed.
If you are unsure whether your link is acceptable or not, please contact a site Admin.
Maker of big things.

Eriance

• Corporal
« Reply #250 on: 27 December 2011, 18:05:05 »
Orthogonal References for the 3D modeling. I'll leave it to Sandman to do his 3D magic.  ;D

The Sentient Mushroom

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #251 on: 27 December 2011, 18:21:33 »
I say this absolute certainty;

'ME WANT!!!!!!!' ;D

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #252 on: 01 January 2012, 01:24:53 »
Good news. Looking forward to seeing the models.  8)

Eriance

• Corporal
« Reply #253 on: 02 January 2012, 22:57:59 »
Last two.

The Sentient Mushroom

Gryphon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #254 on: 03 January 2012, 16:07:36 »
It's a pity you intend to move away form this sort of thing, your work is simply brilliant chief. We will miss your new and interesting takes on these classic and iconic mechs. Thanks for your time and efforts either way.

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #255 on: 03 January 2012, 16:18:02 »
Last two.

These look great, but I would consider giving the outside edge of the feet a slight outward angle, from the front view.  As it is, they look ever-so-slightly pigeon-toed.

Eriance

• Corporal
« Reply #256 on: 03 January 2012, 17:47:18 »
@Gryphon: These four I've posted are not the last mechs I will draw. As Cergerach said he was interested in all the custom unseens I've sketched (including some I've not posted here until now - such Longbow/Hurlbat). There will be, at least, all my custom unseen mechs inked (if all goes well and I don't end up being bogged down by my final year in college).

After this, however, I really need to move on to other stuff as my limited skills are getting incredibly skewed after 3 years of drawing mechs and tanks non-stop. I'm pretty sure I have forgotten everything I know about human anatomy and coloring at this point. :/

@Willydstyle: These are references for Sandman and thus everything was placed at 90 degrees of each other as much as possible so that it would serve as a meaningful base at which the 3D model can be made from. The final orthogonal art or post will likely be made from the 3D models themselves, as drawing them, regardless of how careful I am, will end up with mistakes and flaws in alignment, as it is evident on all 4 of these reference images.
« Last Edit: 03 January 2012, 17:49:13 by Eriance »
The Sentient Mushroom

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #257 on: 03 January 2012, 19:53:56 »
...We'll miss you, Eri.  Just agree to do art for the next TRO, OK?  Some of the garbage in the others...
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #258 on: 03 January 2012, 20:02:57 »
You can always make BTU Characters for A Time of War O0
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Gryphon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #259 on: 03 January 2012, 21:09:24 »
Ummm...how about some pilot's then, I would like to see your take on succession wars era mech jock gear, up to the full body light armor suits we start seeing with the clan's return. Maybe even some infantry forces, both in field gear, but most especially in garrison uniforms, I have never really been satisfied with the uniforms we see in the house books, some of them are only alright, but some are a bit...Frank Herbert over the top really.

On the other hand, if you do intend to move on, any chance we can get a hint as to what your new area of interest might be?  8)

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #260 on: 03 January 2012, 22:37:36 »
I'd love some infantry pics.  ;)

Eriance

• Corporal
« Reply #261 on: 03 January 2012, 22:46:49 »
On the other hand, if you do intend to move on, any chance we can get a hint as to what your new area of interest might be?  8)

Coloring/painting natural scenery, most likely. Always wanted to do it, but never really had the time to really get into it. :/
The Sentient Mushroom

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #262 on: 04 January 2012, 00:17:25 »
 [AAAH]

...He's...  Gone...  GREEN!
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #263 on: 04 January 2012, 01:14:20 »
[AAAH]

...He's...  Gone...  GREEN!
Just think of them as potential battlefields ;D
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #264 on: 12 January 2012, 15:15:34 »
Hehe...looking forward to seeing the 3D versions of these guys.  [watch]

Brent Evans

• SeƱor oscuro
  • Catalyst Game Labs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #265 on: 13 January 2012, 14:32:09 »
Really great stuff Eric!

Eriance

• Corporal
« Reply #266 on: 15 January 2012, 19:10:42 »
Thanks guys! :D

Here's two more.

The Sentient Mushroom

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #267 on: 15 January 2012, 22:21:09 »
Nice, are these commissions? They both look good. The tank like quad Mech is solid while the other one looks like a light Mech on par with the Stinger or Wasp.

Eriance

• Corporal
« Reply #268 on: 15 January 2012, 22:26:14 »
There are the same set as the custom unseens that was purchased earlier. The Quad was originally the custom Scorpion, and the other was the custom Stinger.
The Sentient Mushroom

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #269 on: 17 January 2012, 14:44:22 »
Most impressive stuff. You, sir, have a lot of talent!  8)
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

Register