Author Topic: Objective Raids  (Read 19514 times)

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Re: Objective Raids
« Reply #90 on: 13 May 2011, 17:05:40 »
Plus we all know Storks bring fuel.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #91 on: 13 May 2011, 22:05:23 »
Hello.  I'm Jeffrey Layton, and I wrote the original Objective Raids.

Given the current feeling toward my book and the errors in it, I really had to work up my courage before stepping up to post.  I would, however, like to mention the reality of the conditions under which it was written.

[/snip]

--Jeff

Dude, you've got nothing to be worried about.  There are three CBT books that I own that are scuffed and dog-eared to death from being read, re-read, re-re-read, bent in unusual ways from being propped open to specific pages that I needed to cross-reference, etc.  Those are the original TRO:3025 (now retired in favor of the TRO: 3039), House Kurita and Objective Raids.  Each of those three ranks in the top five (along with the Tukayyid Scenario book and the Jade Falcon Sourcebook) of my favorite CBT books of all time, warts and all!

You sir, and your book, rock!   [rockon]

The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #92 on: 13 May 2011, 22:55:33 »
Plus we all know Storks bring fuel.

...and disease.

Well, in China at least.
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
Re: Objective Raids NECROOOOOO Thread!
« Reply #93 on: 11 November 2017, 14:06:41 »
It's been a while... I'm only casting Necro thread X on this subject merely because of the newest capability of Microsoft Edge's Read it! Functionality of reading webpages and PDFs... Listening to Male Siri say 'Cay-Pa-Lean Confederation' is moar funny than Tom Tom saying 'To-lea-Dah' for Toledo :D

It does make me giggle at the idea of that maybe we have been pronouncing common (and beloved) words from Battletech wrong?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #94 on: 11 November 2017, 15:34:11 »
Oh hey, I'd forgotten that this is where I coined the phrase "FASA wasn't big on errata." And since this thread, we did get MadCap's updated Objective Raids in official form!
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #95 on: 11 November 2017, 15:55:29 »
...yeah, six years to make a joke about a PDF reader is quite the necro, for sure.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #96 on: 11 November 2017, 16:54:30 »
heh listening to google maps read out directions is sometimes hilarious
like head towards caw mos (spelled camas and locally pronounced cam ass)
or take the glisten road exit it pronounces it glisten like shiny, when I have always heard locals pronounce it as glee san road.  etc.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #97 on: 12 November 2017, 03:10:42 »
Oh hey, I'd forgotten that this is where I coined the phrase "FASA wasn't big on errata."

You can say that again ... ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #98 on: 12 November 2017, 04:19:26 »
I'd like to know if TPTB have changed, or are looking at changing, the book production process so that work for future OR (If that ever happens) is easier? The idea here is that when a design is created all information needed for inclusion into an OR is also entered into a database.

The way my idea would work is that in addition to deciding where a 'Mech is assembled and the brands of it's components the locations manufacture is also decided, all this information is entered into the database. Now the DB is set up so that you can also use it to find out what is made where and so on.

I'd also like information in future TRO's that say if a new line was put together for a new design, or if it shares a line with an older one or an older one was ceased to make way for the new one.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #99 on: 12 November 2017, 13:35:34 »
No, TPTB now deliberately avoid giving out hard facts about production. Fuzzy numbers are way easier to work with than an ever-increasing mountain of hard number, and it also gives the writers way more leeway to handwave any facts they may deem important for a given story.

The BT universe isn't an economy simulation, even when discounting the FASAnomics rabbit hole. It works on the principles of author fiat and rule of plot demand instead.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #100 on: 12 November 2017, 13:37:51 »
When did I give any production numbers? I'm talking about location and when production stops, not numbers.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #101 on: 12 November 2017, 18:10:52 »
* Pokes Brent and Ray *

Wonder if the CGL bigwigs could swing a meet and greet with Mr. Layton as author of the year at Con of his choice. For a rather mediocre book turned sensational attraction. I got two copies, one barely holding together and another still glued.

I think I'm not the only one to want to shake his hand.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #102 on: 13 November 2017, 00:11:36 »
I'd like to know if TPTB have changed, or are looking at changing, the book production process so that work for future OR (If that ever happens) is easier?

The OR PDF series was a failure. You'll never see it again.

The solution is just ignore Paul.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #103 on: 13 November 2017, 08:48:21 »
The OR PDF series was a failure. You'll never see it again.

Unless, like Paul, you see it in your sleep.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #104 on: 13 November 2017, 09:28:57 »
Unless, like Paul, you see it in your sleep.

That's his own fault. If you're going to sleep in a coffin full of dirt from your homeland, you're gonna have weird dreams. Same reason you shouldn't eat pizza before bedtime.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+