Author Topic: (Answered) Infantry Platoon Sizes  (Read 2939 times)

Holynonbeliever

• Recruit
(Answered) Infantry Platoon Sizes
« on: 08 May 2016, 12:36:36 »
Hey everyone. We are doing a game set on a backwater planet where we are stuck at tech level A-B and the gamemaster is a force of pirate raiders come to take our little mining and agriculture cities by force and we have to fight them off with the crap we have laying around. Needless to say, hard.

So, background aside, I was reading techmanual and wanting to design little parties of hunters with sniper rifles that are "platoons" of three to five men large... But I'm not really sure if I can.

According to the rules as read; can I only build infantry "platoons" at the sizes listed on the chart in the techmanual infantry instructions or am I misinterpreting the rules?

It would make sense if, say, a person wanted to field a seal team lookalike that are trench engineers and marines and other special kinds of training and are a royal-pain-in-the-butt to get out of a hex they've made themselves comfortable in. Because you don't just send a whole F'n platoon of those guys out in one 30 m area, at least not with my military understanding.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 12 February 2017, 12:06:57 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Research - Infantry Platoon Sizes
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2017, 12:06:48 »
Any size between the legal minimum and the legal maximum as given in TechManual is legal: that's the range you have to play with.

However, if that number is too large, you can break them down further using optional rules.  Judging by the numbers you're mentioning, you probably want the TacOps squad rules (Squad Deployment, TO p. 27).

Please note:

a whole F'n platoon

Don't do this.  It violates Rule 2 of the forums, making you eligible for a warning for the mods.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 12 February 2017, 12:22:53 by Xotl »
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0