Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 157256 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #300 on: 28 August 2017, 14:31:22 »
It ain't you.

Lets count the duncery.
1) A doctor supposedly having THAT BAD Of a panic attack.
2) going off onto a strange planet, and NOT ALREADY watching containment protocols. 
3) NOT watching the two droid guys more closely since they were the same model, but one was psychotic.
4) Not using more heavy firepower on those 2 aliens that burst out of people..  HELL as soon as they started coming out, everyone should have been SHOOTING LIKE CRAZY..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #301 on: 28 August 2017, 17:20:35 »
It made sense in the first Alien movie because the crew weren't scientists or military and therefore probably hadn't been given too much training on containment protocols, plus they had an android that was secretly under orders to bring the creature back to Earth for study.  Neither Prometheus nor Aliens: Covenant have those excuses.  The script requires that the people be jaw-droppingly stupid so that it lasts longer than 20 minutes.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #302 on: 05 September 2017, 12:21:43 »
ok i do not think a lot o folks even heard or remember this one by mel brooks
the twelve chairs
love the song hope for the best expect the worst...
i had seen at least 3 versions of that one russian , czek and american(mel brooks)
and all 3 were amusing
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #303 on: 11 September 2017, 10:53:56 »
Introduced my kids to Master and Commander over the weekend. Still think it one of the best films ever made.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #304 on: 11 September 2017, 15:32:20 »
Rewatched 2 old but great action films..  Westley snipe's Passenger 57, and Bruce in The Last Boyscout... 

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #305 on: 11 September 2017, 18:46:55 »
Had a bit of a Besson double-bill today ...

'From Paris With Love'
'Taxi 2'
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #306 on: 11 September 2017, 22:13:14 »
I don't know what's wrong with me, but a lot of recent movies just don't grab me. Either I'm finally turning into an old fogey longing for the nostalgia-tinted classics of my youth, or there's something wrong with the art of storytelling these days.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #307 on: 11 September 2017, 23:27:43 »
I'm watching the remake of The Magnificent Seven.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pimpin' Mopar Goodness since the Dawn of Time
« Reply #308 on: 12 September 2017, 01:18:03 »
Baywatch - just plain cheesy
King Arthur - not too bad
Prometheus - this movie just doesn't make much sense
Pirates of the Caribbean 5 - semi entertaining

14 hour flights to Hong Kong suck   

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #309 on: 12 September 2017, 06:52:32 »
Baywatch - just plain cheesy
King Arthur - not too bad
Pirates of the Caribbean 5 - semi entertaining

14 hour flights to Hong Kong suck
At least they didn't play disaster movies of airplanes like Snakes on a Plane and Airplane II! (I know the later bit more entertaining...but still)
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #310 on: 12 September 2017, 09:26:23 »
I don't know what's wrong with me, but a lot of recent movies just don't grab me. Either I'm finally turning into an old fogey longing for the nostalgia-tinted classics of my youth, or there's something wrong with the art of storytelling these days.
nothing is wrong with you...its the sewage and recycled junk that had been made for several years that made you sick and meh every time...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #311 on: 12 September 2017, 11:19:46 »

It's because most of what's produced has always been "meh" at best.  When we think about the stuff from a few decades ago, we remember mostly only the good stuff that has endured.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #312 on: 12 September 2017, 15:57:18 »

Pretty much same-same with ALIEN | Covenant.

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #313 on: 12 September 2017, 20:02:50 »

There is an Alien movie on the plane that I might watch tomorrow

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #314 on: 13 September 2017, 12:38:07 »
So, average B horror movies?  (My wife binges on that garbage now and again.)

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #315 on: 13 September 2017, 13:09:40 »
I finally watched Inception.

It was good, straightforwardly explained, hardly the mind-screw it's made out to be. (Matrix was much worse.) A philosophical heist movie that was action-packed and yet left me thinking about life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, movies, yadda yadda etc. Marion Cotillard is so hot, she almost dethroned Lea Seydoux as my personal pick for Hottest French Actress Ever... almost...

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #316 on: 13 September 2017, 14:39:14 »
So, average B horror movies?

As someone who's a fan of the original ALIEN, and a huge fan of ALIENS. It's as if all the older generation of directors have semi-lost-touch with what it takes to make a great Sci-Fi film anymore. We've seen it with Lucas and Star Wars. James Cameron and Fern Gully. Now with Ridley Scott and the ALIEN franchise. This is especially true [for me] when any of them attempts to "go back" and fill-in any gaps in the mythos. Segments that we've already worked-out in our own minds in one-- or several potentially satisfying ways.

The human characters in Covenant are all phoned-in. You literally care about no one. I'm not talking from an acting perspective either. I'm talking about poor script/dialog/history/telling/revealing. There's absolutely zero to care about. And the worst part; the human characters all act and behave in ways that make you feel as if the screen-play was written in such a way as to purposefully assault/insult to your intelligence. More than one true face-palm inducing moment. There are also lots of horror tropes sprinkled throughout. But, are especially heavy-handed toward the end of the film. Which, makes the tone feel cheap, and very disjointed from other segments where Covenant "feels" like a true Prometheus sequel. There's more here, but to remain spoiler-free, I'll stop.   

It's not all horrible, though. If you can ignore the human characters/actions/dialog, Michael Fassbender does some great things. I mean, really pretty great. Which, isn't hard to imagine given that he made Assassin's Creed worth a view. All of the set pieces and special effects are absolutely gorgeous. And, like Prometheus-- there are some thought-provoking sequences. Obviously, some scenes are just magnificent. Deep space. Ships in action. And, looking down on a planet while in orbit-- viewing storms across the horizon never fails to impress. Lastly, unlike many-- I didn't have a problem with the ending. Actually, I thought it a pretty clever curtain closing. But, I can certainly see why others feel the way they do. Anyway, just my take.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2017, 14:47:48 by IAMCLANWOLF »

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #317 on: 14 September 2017, 02:15:59 »
Introduced my kids to Master and Commander over the weekend. Still think it one of the best films ever made.

Definitely one of my favorites.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #318 on: 14 September 2017, 14:15:08 »
It did have some of the better ship to ship combat scenes, and a good amount of 'comedy'.. 

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #319 on: 15 September 2017, 01:51:05 »
Just rewatched Children of Men on Netflix - random mid week day off work, wife at work, couple of beer and I'm still a little bit fluey... so why not movie and lounge time?

I saw this originally at the movies 10 odd years ago and though "well, that was a damn fine sci-fi/future history movie".
Watched it today and it's... well, terrifyingly real. The violent, horrid push against refugees and minorities, governments that seem pretty intent on war and a real "us and them" take on policing. Yeah, this was a little to close to home. Scary

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #320 on: 15 September 2017, 11:47:22 »
I just watched Soldier, Sailor, Tinker, Spy (2011) on Netflix.  I'm a big fan of Gary Oldman but for some reason I never saw this one before.  Very good, low key spy thriller.  No big gun fights or car chases, just a mystery where Smiley (Oldman) has to find out who the mole is in British intelligence.  The film reminded me a bit of The Godfather in style.
« Last Edit: 15 September 2017, 16:40:31 by mdauben »
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #321 on: 16 September 2017, 10:06:37 »
just finished watching kingsman...
fun little romp in james bond style with a lot more fun tossed in

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #322 on: 16 September 2017, 14:10:07 »
Tim Burton's "Sleepy Hollow." I give it a solid "meh." Something about it seemed off.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #323 on: 16 September 2017, 15:17:33 »
Jason Bourne. Disappointing movie, especially compared to the previous offerings in the series. Rookie mistake plugging a thumb drive containing stolen CIA files into a laptop connected to the internet leads to hijinks. Unstoppable Swat truck fitted with plow drives through traffic, flipping cars in it's way... except it wasn't fitted with a plow in the film. I don't know, I thought the previous movies were smart and the action was at least plausible, if not realistic. Some of this stuff was just plain stupid.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #324 on: 16 September 2017, 16:13:14 »
Yea, the recent bourne was a little lackluster compared to the rest.  BUT it was good seeing Tommy lee Jones..

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #325 on: 16 September 2017, 23:53:01 »
As someone who's a fan of the original ALIEN, and a huge fan of ALIENS. It's as if all the older generation of directors have semi-lost-touch with what it takes to make a great Sci-Fi film anymore. We've seen it with Lucas and Star Wars. James Cameron and Fern Gully. Now with Ridley Scott and the ALIEN franchise. This is especially true [for me] when any of them attempts to "go back" and fill-in any gaps in the mythos. Segments that we've already worked-out in our own minds in one-- or several potentially satisfying ways.

The human characters in Covenant are all phoned-in. You literally care about no one. I'm not talking from an acting perspective either. I'm talking about poor script/dialog/history/telling/revealing. There's absolutely zero to care about. And the worst part; the human characters all act and behave in ways that make you feel as if the screen-play was written in such a way as to purposefully assault/insult to your intelligence. More than one true face-palm inducing moment. There are also lots of horror tropes sprinkled throughout. But, are especially heavy-handed toward the end of the film. Which, makes the tone feel cheap, and very disjointed from other segments where Covenant "feels" like a true Prometheus sequel. There's more here, but to remain spoiler-free, I'll stop.   

It's not all horrible, though. If you can ignore the human characters/actions/dialog, Michael Fassbender does some great things. I mean, really pretty great. Which, isn't hard to imagine given that he made Assassin's Creed worth a view. All of the set pieces and special effects are absolutely gorgeous. And, like Prometheus-- there are some thought-provoking sequences. Obviously, some scenes are just magnificent. Deep space. Ships in action. And, looking down on a planet while in orbit-- viewing storms across the horizon never fails to impress. Lastly, unlike many-- I didn't have a problem with the ending. Actually, I thought it a pretty clever curtain closing. But, I can certainly see why others feel the way they do. Anyway, just my take.

So I watched this on the flight home. 

You've hit the nail on the head other that Alien is way better than Aliens  8)

It is the sequel to Prometheus and it's better.  It still leaves everyone with a lot of WTH moments. 

She lack of Environmental Protocols and the Interaction with David are just weak.

It was also a movie where it was easy to guess the plot. 

Fassbender did a great job as an actor establishing an evil android

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
What movies are we watching: it's all remakes anyway
« Reply #326 on: 22 November 2017, 23:29:27 »
Since the old thread hit 51 pages, starting a new one.

Watching Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade.  Wanted to watch a light, fun movie and found it on Amazon Prime.

Was quite surprised to find that Amazon Prime includes some actual adult titles.  That company has a very inconsistent stance when it comes to such material.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: What movies are we watching: it's all remakes anyway
« Reply #327 on: 23 November 2017, 00:38:02 »
Well, got done seeing Hitman's bodyguard.
Some great comedy and action, but is it me, or does it seem both Salmea Hayak, and Sam L seem to ONLY be in movies where they get to say the M/F word damn near every 12th word that comes out if their character's mouths..??!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #328 on: 23 November 2017, 00:47:16 »
Sam does a lot of PG-13 movies that are limited to one f-bomb per film.  But he does like parts where he can drop the word.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #329 on: 23 November 2017, 14:13:23 »
Well according to his IMDB page he has had 175 acting credits (film tv and vid games). 

From his start in together for days (1972) up through Goodfellas (1990), he's had 13 films, and 9 tv movies/series.  Of those 13 films, only 2 were PG, the other 11 were all R rated.

From 1990 through 1995 (not inc goodfellas), he had 24 films 6 of which were either pg or pg-13.  Strictly businesss, loaded weapon, jurassic park, fluke, hail caesar and amos & andrew.

From 1996 to 2000, i see 17 films..  4 of which were PG (or as one was rated, TV-G).  Starwars ep 1, unbreakable, Our friend martin and Sphere.

That's not that a lot of non R movies in comparison.  Barely 25%..
ANd in most of his R works, he seems to love dropping the F-bomb or the Mffer bomb.
SOME of those films, there's MORE F-bombs than dead bodies!!?!

Register