Author Topic: Star Wars Thread IV - A New Hype  (Read 168066 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Star Wars Thread IV - A New Hype
« Reply #840 on: 02 November 2017, 23:45:03 »
Um, yeah, no. No pop and popcorn at jacked up prices for me. I smuggle in my candy.

Or like i do, eat a good meal just before i go in!

What worries me more is the notion that some theatres chains are considering a "pay more for more popular movies" model. In other words, you might need to pay $30 for that Star Wars ticket, but only $5 for the Emoji movie ticket.

As it is, i see at most 5 movies a year in the theater..    If theaters started doing THAT, jacking up the price for 'popular movies', i wouldn't see ANY In the theater..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #841 on: 03 November 2017, 01:57:39 »
Ah ha! Found the article I was looking for about her "living forever"

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-08-02/leia-will-be-kept-alive-in-the-star-wars-franchise-as-john-boyega-reveals-amazing-carrie-fisher-send-off/

What about her becoming "one with the Force", like her dad before her? Leia is, after all, "another". And a holographic-ish "force ghost" wouldn't task things too much.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #842 on: 03 November 2017, 03:21:02 »
Or like i do, eat a good meal just before i go in!

As it is, i see at most 5 movies a year in the theater..    If theaters started doing THAT, jacking up the price for 'popular movies', i wouldn't see ANY In the theater..

Wow, you're a prolific moviegoer compared to me. I've seen two movies in the cinema in the last two years. Unfortunately young kids means that the cost of the movies is tripled just by a babysitter, or I organise it for the school holidays when the boys are in their holiday program and the wife doesn't get paid for that day.

When that happens, I don't begrudge the cinema my money for popcorn, besides, a large popcorn has enough salt in it to help me retain water right up until the end. :-)

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #843 on: 03 November 2017, 11:59:34 »
Hehe, yes, it is. Official Disney product and everything.
I dont know why people are so surprised at this. I mean, they WERE planning to eat Luke and Han, too.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #844 on: 03 November 2017, 15:23:25 »
Wow, you're a prolific moviegoer compared to me. I've seen two movies in the cinema in the last two years.

Well, let's look at my movie going since 2010...

2010:
Clash of the titans remake (Apr), Kick ass (Apr), Iron man 2 (May), Avatar the last airbender (July), Predators (July), Tron legacy (Dec),

Six whole movies this year.

2011:
I am number 4 (Feb), Battle LA (Mar), Thor (May), Xmen First class (June), Super 8 (June though i regretted it!), Green lantern (June), Transformers Dark of the moon (July), Captain america the first avenger (July), Cowboys and aliens (July), Real steel (October),

This was a bumper year for me in the theaters, 10 movies!!

2013:
Olympus has fallen (March), GI joe Retaliation (March), Ironman 3 (May), Star Trek Into darkness (May), White house down (June), Pacific Rim (July), The Wolverine (July), Thor Darkworld (Nov),

Another prolific year 8 movies.

2014;
Monument's men (Feb), Captain America the winter soldier (April), X-men days of future past (May), Edge of Tomorrow (June), Transformers Age of extinction (June), Guardians of the Galaxy (Aug), Into the Storm (August),

7 Movies this year.. 

2015;
Jupiter Ascending (Feb), Furious 7 (Apr), Avengers age of ultron (May), Madmax Fury road (May), San andreas 3d (May), Jurassic world (June), Terminator Genisys (July), Antman (July), Starwars the force awakens (Dec).

A very prolific year, 9 movies.!!)!)

2016;
Deadpool (Feb), Batman vs Superman (Mar), Captain America Civil war (May), Xmen Apocalypse (June), Warcraft (June), Independence day resurgence (June), Star trek beyond (July), Suicide squad (August), Dr Strange (Nov), Rogue one (Dec).

A very prolific year, 10 movies..

2017: SO FAR..
Logan (Mar), Kong Skull island (Mar), Guardians of the galaxy 2 (June), Transformers Last Knight (June), Spiderman Homecoming (July),

So far, that makes 5 movies in the theater.
BUT i have Thor 3, Justice league and Star wars 8 to see...

For NEXT YEAR, i plan on only seeing the following...
Black panther
Pacific rim 2
Xmen new mutants (Not sure on this as the previews look crap, more of a Horror film from what i've seen)
Avengers infinity war 1
Deadpool 2
Atman and the wasp
Venom (Not sure on this one yet)
Xmen Dark phoneix

So potentially 8, but more like 6..

GUESS i need to readjust my 'average seen' movies to 7 a year... :o :o ;D

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #845 on: 03 November 2017, 17:39:44 »
Transformers Last Knight (June)
...I think I'm in a bitchy mood. I was about to make fun of you for seeing this, and then I realized that not only was watching Transformers Last Knight your crime, it was also your punishment. :p

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #846 on: 03 November 2017, 18:49:56 »
I've been to see three movies in the last three months (Shin Godzilla, Blade Runner 2049, The Death of Stalin), and that's about as many as I saw in the prior 2-3 years.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #847 on: 03 November 2017, 18:55:50 »
I've only seen three movies in theaters this year and there are only three upcoming movies I'm interested in seeing.  That's unusually high for me.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #848 on: 03 November 2017, 23:04:01 »
I used to watch a lot of movies every year.  But it dropped off as the movies got lamer and lamer.  There's just nothing out there that interests me.  And it's not my fault, the studios just dont put out good movies that often anymore.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #849 on: 03 November 2017, 23:23:25 »
...I think I'm in a bitchy mood. I was about to make fun of you for seeing this, and then I realized that not only was watching Transformers Last Knight your crime, it was also your punishment. :p

WHy, i liked it..  So it was not punishment to me.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #850 on: 09 November 2017, 14:13:46 »
I don't even bother with eating in the theater at all...no need to tempt fate by risking needing to use the bathroom right at the good part of the movie...

Ruger

Seconded.

It's gotten to a point that I have to deprive myself for an hour or so of any food/drink so as to avoid the inopportune run to the urinal.

I still hated having to cut out in the middle of Gaurdians of the Galaxy Vol. II for 5 minutes. Thankfully, it was during the down moment scene when Drax, Quinn and Gamora are riding with Quinn's dad to his planet. Second time around, I got to watch the full movie.

And, I've tried holding it till the end before a few times, and that was almost debilitatingly dangerous.

I've chalked it up to old age, but I've been learning lately it's probably more to do with mineral deficiencies in the body.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #852 on: 10 November 2017, 14:23:17 »
I've chalked it up to old age, but I've been learning lately it's probably more to do with mineral deficiencies in the body.

Or blood pressure medication.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #853 on: 14 November 2017, 07:03:03 »

This depends on a whole host of factors, how much salt do you eat? In my experience a reasonably hydrated individual will likely urinate around every 60-90 minutes depending on size of the bladder.

If you are finding yourself normally able to hold for two hours without discomfort you are likely dehydrating slightly, but not dangerously. Highly likely though is that your need to go in the middle of a movie is due to a combination of factors not the least of which is clothing, try releasing your belt or loosening your draw string. The belt line is directly above the bladder on the front, and they tend not to stretch.

My personal trick is to take a large popcorn in, that way I'm eating so much salt I feel like I've grit blasted my mouth, but don't need to go to the toilet. Some movies do make this an extreme sport, but I sat through Kingsman TGC without needing to get up.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #854 on: 02 December 2017, 20:28:24 »
Nope.

It's right out of the original draft.

Dark Horse Comics adapted the original draft in 2013. Track down The Star Wars for a look at what might have been.

Though if this was the movie that got made, we wouldn't be here discussing the franchise 40 years later.

Ok, I found a copy online and bought it

It's not good.  But you can see potential in it.  And you can see many elements of the later movies in the story.  Not just Ep IV, but some parts seem like stuff from others too.  Skywalker trying to evacuate the Princess to safty after the invasion felt like the beginning to Ep I for example

Once again, Lucas recycled material. 
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #855 on: 02 December 2017, 20:50:50 »
It's not "recycled" if it's from an earlier, unused draft. That comic is an unusual kind if product - a rough draft brought to independent completion by fan curiousity.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #856 on: 04 December 2017, 00:05:34 »
So, now I'm feeling the need to assemble a group of cosplayers to join me dressing up as the characters from this version at a convention.  Just to see if anyone would get the joke

Dibs on Prince Valorum

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #857 on: 04 December 2017, 01:02:26 »
Prince Valium? He's such a pill.

So, now I'm feeling the need to assemble a group of cosplayers to join me dressing up as the characters from this version at a convention.  Just to see if anyone would get the joke

Dibs on Prince Valorum

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #858 on: 04 December 2017, 01:48:24 »
It's not "recycled" if it's from an earlier, unused draft. That comic is an unusual kind if product - a rough draft brought to independent completion by fan curiousity.

It did a good job of proving why that draft went unused
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #859 on: 06 December 2017, 20:35:24 »
a thoguth occured to me.  I did see some traces of the old story in even the new movies.  in The Star wars, the sith Knight Prince Valorum, who always wore a mask, had the hero restrained in an interrogation room.  at that point, Valorum first took his mask off and didn't seem scarred or in any way of needing a mask.  Later after that, Valorum changed sides after the arrogant Imperian general berated him.

in the Force Awakens, we know Kylo Ren had Rey restrained in an interrogation room and that was when he first took his mask off.  You think the parallels between Kylo Ren and Valorum might continue and we may see Ren change sides, esp if the arrogant general berates him again?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #860 on: 06 December 2017, 20:42:43 »
If Darth Tantrum changes sides, it's going to be in response to something big.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #861 on: 06 December 2017, 21:54:29 »
If Darth Tantrum changes sides, it's going to be in response to something big.
The Skywalker Saga is also a tale of redemption.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #862 on: 06 December 2017, 22:27:32 »
Yeah, but it's got to be appropriately dramatic, especially if it's the redemption of a character who has on-screen worries about the goodness inside him and murdered a major character specifically because of it.  It's going to take a lot to earn redemption for him and he's unlikely to survive it.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #863 on: 06 December 2017, 22:31:20 »
It's going to take a lot to earn redemption for him and he's unlikely to survive it.
Indeed. Anything less may not seem equitable. Life for a life is ingrained in almost all cultures' sense of right and wrong.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #864 on: 06 December 2017, 22:42:28 »
Especially given the precedent set by Return of the Jedi.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #865 on: 06 December 2017, 23:27:10 »
Yeah, but it's got to be appropriately dramatic, especially if it's the redemption of a character who has on-screen worries about the goodness inside him and murdered a major character specifically because of it.  It's going to take a lot to earn redemption for him and he's unlikely to survive it.

especially if he wants to survive it. Anakin sorta-redeemed himself through killing the emperor. but he died in the process, which let him bypass the whole "making up for the 20+ years of evil he perpetrated as Darth Vader" aspect.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #866 on: 07 December 2017, 00:06:06 »

And after killing his dad i don't see there being much if any good left in him to redeam.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #867 on: 07 December 2017, 00:26:21 »
Yeah, as far as on-screen sins go he's far, far worse than Vader ever was, so it's going to take a correspondingly much greater act to convincingly redeem him.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #868 on: 07 December 2017, 00:39:28 »
Yeah, as far as on-screen sins go he's far, far worse than Vader ever was, so it's going to take a correspondingly much greater act to convincingly redeem him.
I dunno. I knew a kid that used to have nightmares about Anakin Skywalker coming after him - that scene is pretty clear about what goes on just after it ends, and killing a bunch of children outweighs killing your rather rickety father, no matter how cool he is.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #869 on: 07 December 2017, 02:43:50 »
Nobody knew he did that stuff when Return of the Jedi hit theaters.  We all knew he'd done bad stuff, but it hadn't been shown to the audience so it didn't count as much.

Register