Author Topic: It's a bird, it's a plane, it's....wait it's not a Galaxy Quest?  (Read 8320 times)

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9sKeCE8V0

Soo....That's an actual thing?  ???
 :D
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
I must admit that I didn't expect that.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Dave Talley

• Major
best of all, when floated the idea to Fox, they authorized a whole season sight unseen
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
How many episodes is it going to get until they cancel it?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
Considering this is gonna air on Fox, I'll be thoroughly surprised if this gets a second season. But then again, it'll get one 'cause Seth <bleeped> enough to have it made.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Looks semi funny..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
It's Seth McFarilane, which means a whole bunch of ugly misogyny disguised as humour.

But that's okay, since it's Fox which means it will be cancelled.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

elf25s

• Major
ok ill give it at least 9 eps before some exec at fox will get a pubic hair in their teeth and cancels it...
happened to firefly so why should this be any different?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Wait...the big tall grey dude...was that Christopher Judge??? Would swear it was his voice...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
IT looks ok and pretty neat.

I still would love to see a Galaxy Quest show, and now that Tim Allen is out of the job.....well! 
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

YingJanshi

• Major
IT looks ok and pretty neat.

I still would love to see a Galaxy Quest show, and now that Tim Allen is out of the job.....well! 

They'd have to bring in a whole new cast. Absolutely impossible to do it without Alan Rickman.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
They'd have to bring in a whole new cast. Absolutely impossible to do it without Alan Rickman.
Who could you replace him with, honestly?  All the really well known 'British Professional Thespian' types are a lot older than Rickman was...or are already doing scifi.  (Seriously, Capaldi would have annihilated the role fantastically)
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

YingJanshi

• Major
Who could you replace him with, honestly?  All the really well known 'British Professional Thespian' types are a lot older than Rickman was...or are already doing scifi.  (Seriously, Capaldi would have annihilated the role fantastically)

No idea. Was merely pointing out that getting the cast of the movie together wouldn't work without Rickman. But if you bring in a whole new cast that's no longer and issue.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General

I don't think that a TV show could afford the rest of the GQ cast's rates.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Seth MacFarlane is funny man, but his sense of humor may not work here.

Its same type of dialog he used on all his shows. 

Fox has short attention span, given the sheer amount of special effects on this i doubt it will last very long before cancelled.   Galaxy Quest was funny movie since no one thought someone would end up doing a parody of Star Trek.  They did it damn well.

This is different, i think it looks good but I can only hope for the best.  Fox has short attention span on things.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2017, 15:44:30 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
I agree it would not be the same without Rickman.

I see this show going a couple of seasons maybe. Not because of FOX but because of it being a niche comedy. Scifi comedy Seth MacFarlane is funny, a geek, and a good writer...but his humor is kinda dirty and raunchy to some, may not get that far.

guardiandashi

• Major
I agree it would not be the same without Rickman.

I see this show going a couple of seasons maybe. Not because of FOX but because of it being a niche comedy. Scifi comedy Seth MacFarlane is funny, a geek, and a good writer...but his humor is kinda dirty and raunchy to some, may not get that far.
I hate to say it but most of the negatives you are suggesting might actually make it do better with the fox audience

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter

They could have a new famous British actor each episode.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

YingJanshi

• Major
They could have a new famous British actor each episode.

That could actually be pretty funny...
Have everyone else in the crew realize it's a different actor (ie, you look different today), but the character insists they never change. But it'd be a gag that could get old fast...

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Have everyone else in the crew realize it's a different actor (ie, you look different today), but the character insists they never change. But it'd be a gag that could get old fast...

Or have it written into the show that the character has regenerated...you could have someone else say something like "Hey! That reminds me of something I saw on some old tv show once!"

:D

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Dave Talley

• Major

hell go big,
have each Doctor play the Doctor, Rickmans character was a doctor after all
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
Re: It's a bird, it's a plane, it's....wait it's not a Galaxy Quest?
« Reply #21 on: 10 September 2017, 20:16:02 »
Since this was about The Orville anyways...
(Oh, and sorry about the Necro...)

I just watched the Pilot ep. It wasn't bad as pilots go. There was something of a balance between the Trek-like-ness and workplace humor. Based on the pilot, I'm willing to give The Orville a couple more to watch.

About the only downside was the stinger. I just have a feeling when Ed learns of it, it's just gonna ruin what could be a decent, and perhaps, funny series.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 11 September 2017, 04:00:55 »
I thought the pilot was good. It still seems more Star Trek to me then Star Trek Discovery. I didn't laugh as much as I thought becuase a lot of the jokes were in the previews and that wasn't as funny as before. I hope the show does ok and makes it a couple of seasons. I loved all the shots of the planets and the space shots with the battle were pretty darn good.  I can also seeing this show cancelled just as quick as Firefly, for the reasons that nobody watches it, or stopped watching it.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 11 September 2017, 07:40:46 »
Considering how well some of the cgi looked, production costs might be another reason it gets canned.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 11 September 2017, 09:39:15 »
ok is it me or the show was dumbed down t  a lowest common idiot possible?
was looking to watching it and was bit pleased with the sets more than story...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 11 September 2017, 09:58:43 »
ok is it me or the show was dumbed down t  a lowest common idiot possible?
was looking to watching it and was bit pleased with the sets more than story...

It's a Seth McFarland show. "Dumbed down" is pretty much his schtick.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #26 on: 11 September 2017, 10:41:30 »
The new Cosmos was also a Seth McFarlane production. Would you consider that dumbed down?

As for cancellation, I think the show would need to absolutely tank for that to happen.  At The Orville's panel at Comic-Con, McFarlane went on about how this is the show he came to Hollywood wanting to make, and implied it was more important to him than, say, Family Guy. I suspect Fox would be very leery of killing the show.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #27 on: 11 September 2017, 11:05:20 »
Enjoyed the show. Wife and I first thought that Isaac was voiced by Brent Spiner.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #28 on: 11 September 2017, 11:24:43 »
The new Cosmos was also a Seth McFarlane production. Would you consider that dumbed down?

Compared to the original?  Yes.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #29 on: 11 September 2017, 12:19:48 »
Considering how well some of the cgi looked, production costs might be another reason it gets canned.

Actually... good news on that front. McFarland insisted on using models rather than CGI for much of it- the Orville in particular is the same type of model magic the Enterprise-D used in 1988. Obviously that's not to say there's no computer work being done, but the model work at least trims costs somewhat. (The only time it was noticeable to me that it was model work was when the clamps released the ship for the first time)

Overall, not bad. Kind of 'eh', but pilots are always like that, so much need for character introductions and exposition and such. I'll give it a try next week- it was light on McFarland's usual brand of humor, which was nice- I figured it was going to be Family Guy in space, and I had zero interest in that.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #30 on: 11 September 2017, 13:51:11 »
Their using models? That nice, but does leave a lot less variety with additional ships and stuff you can do with them.
It's long time since 1988.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #31 on: 12 September 2017, 18:52:58 »
Watched this tonight...wasn't expecting much, so I rather enjoyed it...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #32 on: 12 September 2017, 20:42:51 »
I give it 3 shows before it is pulled for low ratings.

Seth is just not funny. The pilot show was like watching the series ending show of Seinfeld. Just absolutely pathetic and disappointing.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #33 on: 12 September 2017, 20:58:08 »
I enjoyed it, hope they do well with it
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #34 on: 12 September 2017, 22:08:47 »
Watched it last night, I liked it well enough, though most of the jokes were in the adds leading up to the show so it wasn't exactly funny. It did interest me enough to watch the next episode when it airs though.
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 13 September 2017, 00:12:46 »
I give it 3 shows before it is pulled for low ratings.

Seth is just not funny. The pilot show was like watching the series ending show of Seinfeld. Just absolutely pathetic and disappointing.
I got to where they just picked up his ex-wife and were having that big argument in his quarters (while the crew listened on), before the site kept freezing up on me..  Might just give it a pass till the dvd comes out if at all, though based on the "Blah-ness" the first 15 min or so i saw felt to me..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 13 September 2017, 00:20:33 »
Not going to spoil it but there is a plot twist in the last 5 min or so of the episode that had me going OMG that struck me as really funny, but wasn't really a joke

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #37 on: 13 September 2017, 01:42:18 »
I think they should have done a TV adaption of Redshirts.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 17 September 2017, 19:42:46 »
The Orville was delayed because of Football, at least where I'm at. They wonder why the show will fail....can't seem to find it on TV live for the ratings!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #39 on: 17 September 2017, 22:50:49 »
Won't it appear OnDemand?

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 17 September 2017, 23:41:23 »
On demand is always a day after the broadcast, apparently they are moving to Thursday nights because of football season
“Toe jam in training”

JA Baker

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 18 September 2017, 00:35:10 »
The Orville was delayed because of Football, at least where I'm at. They wonder why the show will fail....can't seem to find it on TV live for the ratings!
ya the football game ran about 1/2 hour past its scheduled time slot, I was watching they played about 30 seconds to a minute of family feud, then went into orville. I have to admit the "trade" was one of those win win ones where both sides felt like they got the better part of the deal.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 18 September 2017, 03:57:25 »
I saw that it is moving to Thursday. That's good, the sunday was quite full with Orville, Outlander, then Star Trek Discovery.

I hope it don't get bounced around so much nobody knows where it is.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #43 on: 18 September 2017, 05:55:18 »
Fox and Football was always trouble for animation block and other new shows on Sundays nights back in the day. Shows died because of the Sunday scheduling conflicts with sports and other things with exception of the Simpsons.  A major bummer it being moved but it may have a chance to survive.

Discovery is out?  So it's going to be released on Sundays on CBSonline or whatever it's called?

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #44 on: 18 September 2017, 08:27:47 »
Kermit IS a great leader!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Meow Liao

• Warrant Officer
  • The PPC Kitty
« Reply #45 on: 28 September 2017, 18:07:05 »
To me, the video is way too crisp.  A way too polished set and high definition combine to make it look cheesy fake. 

Meow Liao

Have some plum wine with that PPC.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #46 on: 07 October 2017, 11:06:08 »
Jonathan Frakes has been picked to direct an Orville episode.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 07 October 2017, 11:13:08 »
He directed the most recent episode, 'Pria' with Charlize Theron guest starring.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 07 October 2017, 12:06:17 »
It was a good episode....didnt knock it out of the park.
I just hope the ratings stay ok enough to make it past a 1st season.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #49 on: 07 October 2017, 13:32:32 »
Lots of Trek allumni working on this show.

Frakes this week, last week was directed by James L Conway who also worked on TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT.
The week before that was Brannon Braga, before that again was Robert McNeill - aka Paris on Voyager.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #50 on: 07 October 2017, 13:33:45 »
I think they should have done a TV adaption of Redshirts.

There's also a TV adaptation of Redshirts on the way
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #51 on: 07 October 2017, 15:08:33 »
Really?  When and where?

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 07 October 2017, 15:36:44 »
it will fail 3 red shirts ad only 3 known survivors lt kyle( the guy who kept dying and coming back next episode) lt uhura and chief engeneer scott
the show would loose a lof sting if there are survivors

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #53 on: 07 October 2017, 15:48:00 »
Really?  When and where?

FX picked up the rights in 2014, no solid info since then but IIRC Scalzi has said the rights haven't reverted to him
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 07 October 2017, 18:41:31 »
I remember somewhere that FX was going to pickup Redshirts. But I think that changed a couple of times over.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #55 on: 08 October 2017, 09:49:22 »
Orville has been renewed for a second season. Also, Patrick Stewart is said to be guest starring in a future episode.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 08 October 2017, 11:10:06 »
Excellent news
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 08 October 2017, 13:46:37 »
It was a good episode....didnt knock it out of the park.
I just hope the ratings stay ok enough to make it past a 1st season.

The episode did show that paranoia and violation of a person's privacy is the correct response to a situation.  What sort of lesson does that teach?

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #58 on: 27 October 2017, 11:31:39 »
Watching Episode 7. Look like it's a social commentary that's resonate with a lot of us.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 27 October 2017, 11:37:57 »
It sure as heck resonated with me. It couldn't be more accurate about how I see how far our society has degraded.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #60 on: 27 October 2017, 13:12:38 »
It sure as heck resonated with me. It couldn't be more accurate about how I see how far our society has degraded.
Watching it further, I'm starting to question the Captain's judgment on his picking of specific members to go on the landing party....

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #61 on: 27 October 2017, 13:24:53 »
This episode did just have some absolutely terrible writing.

1: Why even send a navigator?  Does he have some other secondary training that would make him a valid choice?

1a: Why didn't Commander Grayson immediately return John to the shuttle or ship?  It was obvious he had caused a major incident.

2: Yeah we better see a pretty serious reprimand for that kind of stupidity on his record at the very least.

3: As much as Alara is chief of security I'm pretty sure they could have done something better to hide the fact she was an alien or maybe even scrounge up a member of the security department that was human.

4: With the kind of access they had it seems like Isaac should have had no trouble just altering the vote counts without having to actually inject the comments they did.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #62 on: 27 October 2017, 13:46:28 »
It's just like Star Trek where they send people that have no business going on missions they are trained for. So send a alien that looks nothing like the native population, not native names, not knowing the basic of the culture. It is a exploration ship, should have at least one crew member that knows something about first contacts and cultures.

Register