Author Topic: Old Ships and history (Age of War)  (Read 2165 times)

L. Y. Deschain

• Private
Old Ships and history (Age of War)
« on: 16 June 2017, 00:45:38 »
Partially a mechanical question, but before the Modern Jumpships (The Liberty being the first that I can find) It mentioned that primitive bulky ones were used with internal bays for "Dropshuttles". I am mostly interested in ships from the firsts to leave Earth (Other than the TAS Pathfinder) up until about 2450~. Is there anyplace that has the names of some of the classes or what they even may have looked like? The First colony ships like the TAS Ark, it is mentioned but I do not think there is really anything other than a name?

I am doing a bit of research into early Inner Sphere history for what will simply, and withholding details because I know players look at this, an interesting RPG campaign.

L. Y. Deschain

• Private
Re: Old Ships and history (Age of War)
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2017, 01:35:28 »
I did just find the Aquilla, it is interesting.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2017, 07:15:22 »
We have 2 ships named but unstated still.

Leviathan said to mount 7 droppers.
Uma unknown class.

Both ships have been published in official print, but are just names, and in case of the Leviathan, their dropship numbers.

Until CGL decides to offer more info, Dark Ages indeed!

( I would love a RotS TRO which includes these... )

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2017, 09:40:47 »
There aren't that many entries, even fewer that have TRO-style appearances.

There handful of Warships that have DropShuttle bays,  League, Defender, Cruiser only ones had them due to being left-overs from the old era. 

Only other dropship i know that LEGALLY can go into a DropShuttle bay is the Saturn.

Drost I Class was suppose to be able to, but the snafu making them they all ended up being made over the 5,000 ton limit for a DropShuttle Bay.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2017, 11:02:17 »
We have 2 ships named but unstated still.

Leviathan said to mount 7 droppers.

Published in Experimental Tech Readout: Primitives, Volume 5

Uma unknown class.

Both ships have been published in official print, but are just names, and in case of the Leviathan, their dropship numbers.

Until CGL decides to offer more info, Dark Ages indeed!

( I would love a RotS TRO which includes these... )

TT

Get XTRO: Primitives 5 and you're halfway there.

Note the Leviathan JumpShip uses standard docking collars, though.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #5 on: 16 June 2017, 11:06:42 »
There aren't that many entries, even fewer that have TRO-style appearances.

There handful of Warships that have DropShuttle bays,  League, Defender, Cruiser only ones had them due to being left-overs from the old era. 

Only other dropship i know that LEGALLY can go into a DropShuttle bay is the Saturn.

Drost I Class was suppose to be able to, but the snafu making them they all ended up being made over the 5,000 ton limit for a DropShuttle Bay.

Vulture, Manatee and Black Eagle all also had DropShuttle versions before being refitted with KF booms.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: 16 June 2017, 16:02:28 »
Oh, i forgot about the Vulture.  Good catch!  O0

Draconis Combine has a civilian DropShip from Handbook but it's a tug and it's dated 2480.
From the same book, the DragonStar Passenger Transport (Small Craft) which mentions a older variant named Dragon’s Stars, but it's purely a fluff mention and no stats were provided.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #7 on: 16 June 2017, 16:46:08 »
it also wouldn't be hard to assume that there were dropshuttle equivalents to the Monarch. the need to move people around would still be present even back then.
« Last Edit: 16 June 2017, 16:53:22 by glitterboy2098 »

L. Y. Deschain

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2017, 20:06:45 »
Necroing my old thread a bit. Thanks for the info you did get guys. Mostly was just looking for Class-names and pictures. And a general context like the Leviathan you gave. I do have TRO primatives 5 I believe, I need to check my collection. I may have already looked through it at this point and slipped my mind. Saw some stuff in one PDF I had.

I forget where I even saw the Aquilla in but I can find the source on Sarna for that.

Knowing that Dropshuttles are 5K Tons and under also helps.

For my little project I plan to be "winging" a few things anyway but I wanted to gather what canon Data I could also and take from that. Thank you guys for the work you have done, I am finding what info I can but it is a lot of digging in various random books.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2017, 20:12:13 »
Primitives Vol 1 has the Aquilla's info.

Thing is, there updated one in Interstellar Operations (during description on how to build a primitive jump ship). The Aquilla in the IS is an earlier version which pre-dates the AC/5 in Primitives Vol 1.